Rumour GFC 2017 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists.

Who would you rather at the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. as an exercise, I might rank the 2017 OOC players in order of who should be signed up first (IMO of course):

1. Cockatoo
2. Kolodjasni
3. Motlop (depending on how he goes in 2017, could move up)
4. Menzel
5. Lang
6. Menegola
7. Bews
8/9. Cunico/Cowan: Both have been injury prone and would want to show something substantial this year to be kept on.
10/11: Hayball/Buzza - long year ahead but going on showings to date, they might be in trouble

Mackie/Lonergan: Time to say a huge thank you and enjoy retirement.

OK. as an exercise, I might rank the 2017 OOC players in order of who should be signed up first (IMO of course):

1. Cockatoo
2. Kolodjasni
4. Menzel
5. Lang
6. Menegola
7. Bews
8/9. Cunico/Cowan: Both have been injury prone and would want to show something substantial this year to be kept on.
10/11: Hayball/Buzza - long year ahead but going on showings to date, they might be in trouble

Pretty much spot on, although in several cases (Motlop, Menzel) you'd think they will see at least most of the year out before any call is made. I can see Cockatoo and Kolo being chased if they have good years and Lang could look elsewhere if he doesn't come on and get a foothold in the 22.

Pretty much spot on, although in several cases (Motlop, Menzel) you'd think they will see at least most of the year out before any call is made. I can see Cockatoo and Kolo being chased if they have good years and Lang could look elsewhere if he doesn't come on and get a foothold in the 22.
Yeah I think as a rule we leave most until later in the year anyway which is a dangerous ploy but may be necessary if we are sailing close to the wind salary cap wise.

1. Cockatoo
2. Kolodjasni
4. Menzel
5. Lang
6. Menegola
7. Bews

I'd go:

1. Motlop
2. Menzel
3. Cockatoo
4. Kolodjashnij
5. Lang
6. Menegola
7. Bews
8/9/10/11. Cunico/Cowan/Buzza/Hayball

Uncertain: Mackie and Lonergan. My policy is always that if a veteran's form is good enough, they should be given a contract and asked to play on. My absolute pet hate in football is people retiring too soon. So I haven't ruled a line through Mackie or Lonergan's name just yet. Having said that, I do think they are the most likely to retire.

I'd go:

1. Motlop
2. Menzel
3. Cockatoo
4. Kolodjashnij
5. Lang
6. Menegola
7. Bews
8/9/10/11. Cunico/Cowan/Buzza/Hayball

Uncertain: Mackie and Lonergan. My policy is always that if a veteran's form is good enough, they should be given a contract and asked to play on. My absolute pet hate in football is people retiring too soon. So I haven't ruled a line through Mackie or Lonergan's name just yet. Having said that, I do think they are the most likely to retire.
Yep all definitely fair enough. The reason I put Motlop and Menzel below the other too is that they are more wait and see options for 2017. Menzel to see how his body goes, if it deteriorates any and how much he can get on the park. Motlop is a wait just to see if his output matches what he is on/asking for his next contract as I dont think it matched in 2016.

At the very least he mentions two players..so its not really just for SJ.

If we related it to this thread and 2017... come the end of the year would you trade Harry T and Parfitt for P4 and P7? . Its that sort of theoretical. We don't even know who the other player would have been... and Geelong probably were mainly in Flag mindset think SK could be the difference.

For 2017.. Id think we are less likely to be asked about players but more likely to be asked about picks. Our R2 and future R2 for example

At the very least he mentions two players..so its not really just for SJ.

If we related it to this thread and 2017... come the end of the year would you trade Harry T and Parfitt for P4 and P7? . Its that sort of theoretical. We don't even know who the other player would have been... and Geelong probably were mainly in Flag mindset think SK could be the difference.

For 2017.. Id think we are less likely to be asked about players but more likely to be asked about picks. Our R2 and future R2 for example

Listen this post went to places I didn't intend. I didn't think much of it because I didn't believe any of it was possible at the time and because it was two years ago I didn't think it would create much interest as non eventful trades mean little. Hense why I didn't write with a lot of detail which I should have done describing the possible pick 7.

I like my drafting and it was meant to highlight value for ageing pieces and a little summary about what could of been available. In a combo Lever and wright available or degoey type if we found a way to do a deal.

It is only highlighted in my mind because of the way he left in 2015 and he ended at GWS for basically nothing delisted free agent. And still played good footy last year.

So the whole scenario is fictional I wasn't aware this subject had been debated beforehand and I didn't think much of the seriousness of the trade that didn't happen. If I had my time over I go into detail about possible pick 7 inclusions. Yes I do believe pick 7 could have been involved but not directly for Johnson and possibly was completely wrong way to term it

And yes Taylor, Parfitt for pick 4-7 the deal is most likely done already for mine

It's not Pittard - I can tell you for a fact that there's another (contracted) power player keen to come to Geelong. Whose pace and skill off half back will be a huge asset to the Cats. Will be this player + Gaz JNR.
Port looked good V the Swans..if they start winning will that "someone" still want to come.

Johannisen is worth his weight in gold. He's one of the most damaging players in the game.
Only 24 years of age and already has a Norm Smith to his name. If you watched round one, it was pretty much his dynamic plays which won them the game, just as it did in a couple of finals last year.

Can you imagine having him on our half back flank :eek:

Johannisen is worth his weight in gold. He's one of the most damaging players in the game.
Only 24 years of age and already has a Norm Smith to his name. If you watched round one, it was pretty much his dynamic plays which won them the game, just as it did in a couple of finals last year.

Can you imagine having him on our half back flank :eek:
Would be interesting to see if Freo went for him. They would have to give a lot up for him as while he will be OOC, he wont be a FA so it will be similar to O'Meara's situation. Freo should be getting as much young draft talent into their club as possible at the moment so not sure if it would be the right move for them giving up a couple of high draft picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be a monumental blow for the Dogs as well.
You don't come across those types of players very often.
True. They do tend to draft and develop well though so they would do OK out of it. The downfall of being a successful side I guess, hard to keep everybody happy and well-paid.

Worth $500k. Above that is silly for a role player, albeit a very good one.

As we know its all relative.., if the cap is X he is worth %of X. Id agree around 5% of the cap for him would be about right for a very good role player.
If the cap is 15M , 700 may be quite reasonable... Not sure what he would be on atm , id say around 500 would be a fair whack for him.but Freo may still offer a bit more

If the Dockers agreed to pay Kersto 450K do you really think they'd be able to land JJ for anything half as reasonable as 700? Besides they'll need to either spend it on Fyfe or midfielders to replace Fyfe.

If the Dockers agreed to pay Kersto 450K do you really think they'd be able to land JJ for anything half as reasonable as 700? Besides they'll need to either spend it on Fyfe or midfielders to replace Fyfe.
Kersten on 450k a year... All I can say is - lol.

Sandilands, Johnson and Mundy will be retiring shortly. That's a lot of spare cash to throw around.

Same thing happened with us after Kelly, Bartel, Johnson and Enright were tapped on the shoulder.

Kersten's wage is growing by the day.

250k tops.
Id heard 400..

I was wrong in repeating that as it was not accurate.

Im more reliably informed its closer to 350 for 3 years.

Still way more than on the table here so he booked.
Go Catters

"But exciting half forward Devon Smith has parked contract talks in the short term after an injury-riddled 2016 season...Smith has Victorian suitors including Geelong, with the former Geelong Grammar pupil buying an investment property in the town over the summer. His ability to hit the scoreboard as well as put on elite defensive pressure means he will have no shortage of Victorian suitors. But his manager Ned Guy said on Wednesday any delay in his talks were purely down to him wanting to re-establish himself in the team after a PCL injury. Smith missed eight games mid-season with knee issues last year and with solid form under his belt this year is keen to stay. Smith will likely return to Geelong when his career is over but Guy said he would negotiate only with the Giants."We are just going to let him get some footy under his belt. We opened discussions and were not quite at a point where the parties were happy to sign off on the numbers," Guy said. "They are happy to let him play some footy for no other reason that he missed some footy last year. We are not a million miles apart. After a good pre-season he is confident he can play the footy he knows he can."

From the H/Sun today.

Id heard 400..

I was wrong in repeating that as it was not accurate.

Im more reliably informed its closer to 350 for 3 years.

Still way more than on the table here so he booked.
Go Catters

I seem to remember saying he was around that number when he was playing at his best last year. He will earn it playing at a struggling side with vocal fans.

Heard a debate raised today that while Daisy T at and playing for the Pies , he was basically tied by Carlton a long way out but then started to have injuries... so question ... its all well and good to stick hard with your word but is Carlton better or worse for having taken him?

We , the last few years have also shown a tendency to setup recruits a long way out (Danger/Henderson/SS....).. we have all seen injuries that have killed players careers , Nathan Brown and our own Jason Snell and Matty Egan ... imagine signing guys like these after these injuries. JJ at the Dogs , Schache at the Lions and Kelly and who knows who else at GWS... all are young and should have many game ahead but there is a risk hold out on signing.

I wonder what would each of us do if in charge. Stick to an unsigned deal and commit to a damaged player ... or break it and probably damage the rep of the club. Pretty sure our club sticks fat.. so they probably spent 2015 year with fingers crossed , watching Danger hit packs etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back