Rumour GFC 2017 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists.

Who would you rather at the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last 10 picks at 8/21:

Henderson-A.Maric
Vickery-Ballantyne
Butcher-Bastinac
Heppell-Lamb
Longer-Mitchell
Mayes-Hrovat
McDonald-Impey
Wright-Goddard
Ah Chee-McKay
Logue-Hayward

I reckon Tuohy >>> the average difference in quality between those picks.

And that is very much a worst case scenario.

I'm more concerned with a Heppell/Lamb scenario occurring than a Vickery/Ballantyne ;-) Get your point though

heard a discussion on the radio today... Bulldogs Pres. I think. He was talking about the coming SC increase , possibly up to 2M , and how some clubs may not be too perturbed to loose a player... they mentioned Martin .. disappointed to see you go but that gives me 1.5M to 2.0M in the cap. Add the increase and a club may say..sure we are loosing a Martin but 4M gives us a real chance and hunting for a big name ourselves.I had this vision of the 80's where Collingwood and Richmond got in a dollar bind because they were targeting each other players and paying well overs.It was an arms race or sorts. It was also wrapped into a discussion in relation to the Boyd deal , and perhaps Buddy. I guess you could also look at Geelong with Danger as well. In that these happened and club have had some success following these big name recruits.

We sort of know what happens here..some club will bite it off hard , offer a fortune a Martin or Fyfe and a blackhole of player payment will open. You either stay on the outside , be responsible and possibly be left behind or get drawn into the blackhole and place the club in a tenuous position . Id say Geelong will avoid that blackhole , mainly because they have a structure and because they have had recent success. Just what will a Melb or a StK do I wonder or a Rich or an Ess... not to mention those well resourced non vic clubs.

In relation to StK... I was thinking... would they really be that peeved to loose McCartin? They may or may not be totally happy with him..but watching him for a few minutes this afternoon , I had to compare him to Hawk. Hawkins has been at our club since 2007.Like Selwood he really has had a charmed time at an AFL club. Rarely has he had poor sides ahead of him.. and I wonder just how much better would McCartin look in a better side with support around him. He is probably an old fashioned body shape and player... he is more the Hawk , Lockett type than Tom Lynch Matty Boyd etc. and he lacks that athletic exuberance that you see in young players , but he does have a natural big body strength. Very hard to judge what he would be worth if he did come on the market.

Last edited:
heard a discussion on the radio today... Bulldogs Pres. I think. He was talking about the coming SC increase , possibly up to 2M , and how some clubs may not be too perturbed to loose a player... they mentioned Martin .. disappointed to see you go but that gives me 1.5M to 2.0M in the cap. Add the increase and a club may say..sure we are loosing a Martin but 4M gives us a real chance and hunting for a big name ourselves.I had this vision of the 80's where Collingwood and Richmond got in a dollar bind because they were targeting each other players and paying well overs.It was an arms race or sorts. It was also wrapped into a discussion in relation to the Boyd deal , and perhaps Buddy. I guess you could also look at Geelong with Danger as well. In that these happened and club have had some success following these big name recruits.

We sort of know what happens here..some club will bite it off hard , offer a fortune a Martin or Fyfe and a blackhole of player payment will open. You either stay on the outside , be responsible and possibly be left behind or get drawn into the blackhole and place the club in a tenuous position . Id say Geelong will avoid that blackhole , mainly because they have a structure and because they have had recent success. Just what will a Melb or a StK do I wonder or a Rich or an Ess... not to mention those well resourced non vic clubs.

In relation to StK... I was think would they really be that peeved to loose McCartin. They may or may not be totally happy with him..but watching him for a few minutes this afternoon , I had to compare him to Hawk. Hawkins has been at our club since 2007.Like Selwood he really has had a charmed time at an AFL club. Rarely has he had poor sides ahead of him.. and I wonder just how much better would McCartin look in a better side with support around him. He is probably an old fashioned body shape and player... he is more the Hawk , Lockett type than Tom Lynch Matty Boyd etc. and he lacks that athletic exuberance that you see in young players , but he does have a natural big body strength. Very hard to judge what he would be worth if he did come on the market.

Agree with that how list mgt changes with the increased cap will be very interesting.

Re mccartin yes its nice to have an athletic forward ala buddy but you dont have to be, look at josh kennedy and patton neither is particularly athletic but they present to a lot of contests and rarely get outmarked and you can build structure around that. If mccartin can build up his endurance to be able to do this he has enough natural ability he will be a good player.

The bigger issue for me is his concussion history we have seen that cause a few career ending injuries. Its why if i had a top 10 pick (which is where most good key forwards are drafted) i wouldn't trade it for mccartin i would go draft a KPF with it. But this is a false economy for us since we are unlikely to finish low enough in the next few years to have a top 10 pick given we only have finished there once since 2007 (this is why we trade 1st rounders as we know they are likely to be around pick 15) so if the club had the chance to be able to trade for mccartin without selling the farm they would be likely to want to do it. I cant see st kilda trading mccartin this year anyway (he is under contract) and we dont have leverage in a trade with him like we do with ablett.

Agree with that how list mgt changes with the increased cap will be very interesting.

Re mccartin yes its nice to have an athletic forward ala buddy but you dont have to be, look at josh kennedy and patton neither is particularly athletic but they present to a lot of contests and rarely get outmarked and you can build structure around that. If mccartin can build up his endurance to be able to do this he has enough natural ability he will be a good player.

The bigger issue for me is his concussion history we have seen that cause a few career ending injuries. Its why if i had a top 10 pick (which is where most good key forwards are drafted) i wouldn't trade it for mccartin i would go draft a KPF with it. But this is a false economy for us since we are unlikely to finish low enough in the next few years to have a top 10 pick given we only have finished there once since 2007 (this is why we trade 1st rounders as we know they are likely to be around pick 15) so if the club had the chance to be able to trade for mccartin without selling the farm they would be likely to want to do it. I cant see st kilda trading mccartin this year anyway (he is under contract) and we dont have leverage in a trade with him like we do with ablett.

I agree on the athleticism... there something very alluring about the quick and the spring heeled , the supple and the graceful ..yet one only has to look at Stanley to remind oneself that ..just like having a pantry full of ingredients.. it does not make one a good cook , let alone a chef.

All that you say is true.. I think you would agree I have been an advocate of going to draft for sometime now...yet I also agree that a McCartin type may appeal to the club simply because the inherent value of players in system compared to in juniors is out of balance , and of course he has been , so far , an underachiever. Yes there would be a lot of risk in paying a high price for him.

Its very unlikely we will have a single figure pick at this years draft (yet again) , atm it looks like a pick similar to last year. Unless the FA rules , id still like us to draft a kid. If they bring that 4 year FA in...then it all changes . The draft will have to be diminished.

The last 10 picks at 8/21:

Henderson-A.Maric
Vickery-Ballantyne
Butcher-Bastinac
Heppell-Lamb
Longer-Mitchell
Mayes-Hrovat
McDonald-Impey
Wright-Goddard
Ah Chee-McKay
Logue-Hayward

I reckon Tuohy >>> the average difference in quality between those picks.

And that is very much a worst case scenario.
Tuohy Has been a great pickup and it's hard to see the trade failing to the difference in those picks is the key position players picked early. In terms of talent Tuohy will make it a good deal but early picks are where the tall talent is we'll have to find a tall forward from somewhere.

Tuohy Has been a great pickup and it's hard to see the trade failing to the difference in those picks is the key position players picked early. In terms of talent Tuohy will make it a good deal but early picks are where the tall talent is we'll have to find a tall forward from somewhere.
Our next tall forward will be a trade/FA. You don't get outstanding ones outside the top 5 picks and we won't have a pick like that barring something disastrous happening.

But on Tuohy, it's clear he hasn't cost us such a player anyway.

most players have their contracts tied to the tpp

so there will be some cap space not as much as people think

as for tall forward, wells will pluck some obscure talent from left field - maybe Nathan ablett will make a come back

As the Tuohy trade affects us this year just thought we should just keep an eye on what it cost us..

The trade was .. IN Zach Tuohy and a 2017 second-round pick OUT 2017 first-round pick , Billie Smedts , pick 63 (2016 )

The main cost query is the 2017 draft pick swap... at the moment its tracking nicely .. at around 16 to 21 ... With the 2 in 4 taken out of the deal consideration.. its looking like a reasonable deal. Obviously Smedts has played games for them and Williamson looks like a handy player.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-...e-smedts-swap-clubs-as-complex-deal-concluded
they didn't rate 2e to pay him a reasonable some, and as such i think we overpaid
it seems that wells has been blind sighted by ottens and enrights retirements and has almost panicked in his recruiting strategy

they didn't rate 2e to pay him a reasonable some, and as such i think we overpaid
it seems that wells has been blind sighted by ottens and enrights retirements and has almost panicked in his recruiting strategy
How could he possibly be blind sided by Enrights retirement. He was 35 or something.

most players have their contracts tied to the tpp

so there will be some cap space not as much as people think

as for tall forward, wells will pluck some obscure talent from left field - maybe Nathan ablett will make a come back
Not at 31 he won't.

A few different points in here..
Car didn't rate him?.. Id say thats debatable..its more likely that sos have decided he wouldn't be around for their next flag , would like to reduce their cap and improve their draft position.
Blinde sighted by Enright?. I doubt that.. more likely they have been unsure of what we would get out of Stewart and Thurlow and 2e is a good addition.
Ottens retirement was years ago?

A few different points in here..
Car didn't rate him?.. Id say thats debatable..its more likely that sos have decided he wouldn't be around for their next flag , would like to reduce their cap and improve their draft position.
Blinde sighted by Enright?. I doubt that.. more likely they have been unsure of what we would get out of Stewart and Thurlow and 2e is a good addition.
Ottens retirement was years ago?
When otters retired there were left of fields trades and traded too hard for wrong players
Given we provided a pick smedts and potentially a pick as low as 10 for 2e and pick 25 we paid overs

But wells is soft in trading

When otters retired there were left of fields trades and traded too hard for wrong players
Given we provided a pick smedts and potentially a pick as low as 10 for 2e and pick 25 we paid overs

Smedts is rubbish, that was just clearing cap space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this drawing a longbow M. The Ottens thing happened years ago. Little relevance to Enright situation. As far as I know they wanted Brad to go around again but he said no. Enright hard caught anyone by surprise.
Now adding Smedts and a P61 to the deal is probably neither here or there for mine. Would Smedts have got a game this year? Was he contracted? P61.. I think we probably have enough late picks on our list... although I did like Williamson around the draft period.
Yes you might be able to make the argument that SW is not the hardest trader.. but obviously he does get the deals done that he wants to get done.

Devon Smith requested a trade to us last year. Carltons 2nd rounder and our 3rd for Ablett will see us bolster our front half which should be our priority.
Are you saying ... Car R2 pick will get Devon Smith done? The R3 for Ablett ? Yes id say it would add to small talent although who knows really what Ablett will bring or for how long he will bring it. And it will not solve our KPF issues.. so a continuation of us adding mature Pnp and reducing our load from the draft.

It's been funny to see all his averages drop. Parfitt went on to be out number one pressure player until his injury.
many said the same about murdoch, until 2 weeks ago
sometimes its as much about development

ps caddy is getting plenty of time as a mid at the tigers

Are you saying ... Car R2 pick will get Devon Smith done? The R3 for Ablett ? Yes id say it would add to small talent although who knows really what Ablett will bring or for how long he will bring it. And it will not solve our KPF issues.. so a continuation of us adding mature Pnp and reducing our load from the draft.
Absolutely if he is OOC.

Don't see Key Fwd as a huge issue just yet. We have one in Hawkins and any number that can roll through given form and opposition. Happy to wait on the development of Buzz & Rat before pulling the trigger there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back