Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it that everyone just presumes Wells would have taken Grundy if not Thurlow and Goddard if we still had pick 21? Any chance he thought Grundy was a dud and Goddard was gunna be a bust? My mail was Goddard was a massive risk. To date they were spot on.

We had several rucks as options and had just brought in HMac to be the #1 ruck. We all know now that was perhaps the worst move the club made this century - but at the time it made some degree of sense.

So taking Grundy with a "full" stock of rucks would have been illogical. Now, 6 years later, its plain to see that was the dumbest of things - but hindsight is perfect vision.

As for Goddard, he's done SFA so those unhappy about the deal now can't use him specifically but now what might else have been taken at the pick had we kept it.

At the time you'd never know it was the worst move of the century for the club - but its that way now. You just can't win them all.

GO Catters

Its time to get over grundy. I don’t know why some people keep bringing it up. He wasn’t what we needed at the time and its ancient history anyway.

Move on peeps.

The draft is littered with hundreds of “we shoulda picked this guy, not *insert player here*”.

I’m more concerned with what we do in trade week and the draft to get a decent ruck.

Why is it that everyone just presumes Wells would have taken Grundy if not Thurlow and Goddard if we still had pick 21? Any chance he thought Grundy was a dud and Goddard was gunna be a bust? My mail was Goddard was a massive risk. To date they were spot on.
I thought I remembered hearing that Grundy was a bit of a dickhead in draft interviews, too? Am I misremembering?

That would probably count against Geelong wanting him.

I thought I remembered hearing that Grundy was a bit of a dickhead in draft interviews, too? Am I misremembering?

That would probably count against Geelong wanting him.

I'd be very surprised if that was the case, he's a very mature and intelligent young man and is potentially Collingwood's next captain.

Didn't we take Smedts over Darling and Parker just to name a few?
Once again, we took Smedts over 60 or 70 other kids drafted... But pick the eyes out of them for your argument.

Have we really ... invested heavily? Smith was for a late couple of picks..49 and 53 ... Stanley was what 21 ... its not like we have done a Danger trade to get someone.
21 was pretty high, to be honest - you can get some very good players at 21. From memory, Duncan, Fogerty, Tim Kelly, SJ etc were early-20s picks.

Yeah, just like Gumbleton, Hansen, Leuenberger and Thorp were picked ahead of Selwood; Tapscott, Weedon and Bartlett (who?) were all picked in the 8 picks before we drafted Mitch Duncan.

21 was pretty high, to be honest - you can get some very good players at 21. From memory, Duncan, Fogerty, Tim Kelly, SJ etc were early-20s picks.
It varies year to year..... Smedts Brown Tenace ......

which player would we have taken... from memory we were linked with McKenna... Stanley has played 47 games for us

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 5.35.37 pm.png

Last edited:
Once again, we took Smedts over 60 or 70 other kids drafted... But pick the eyes out of them for your argument.
There's no argument, I'm just saying it would be nice to have Jack Darling or Luke Parker in our team.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no argument, I'm just saying it would be nice to have Jack Darling or Luke Parker in our team.
Have to admit, I've never wished we had Darling...until this year. Where has this form come from! He's turned into a superstar over one preseason, his 6th or 7th mind you. Flyin.

Have to admit, I've never wished we had Darling...until this year. Where has this form come from! He's turned into a superstar over one preseason, his 6th or 7th mind you. Flyin.
It can happen. Shannon Byrnes was never a superstar, he was an absolute spud until he ended up having 2 really good seasons in 09/10. Heres hoping Stanley can string at least one solid season together starting sometime this year.

I doubt Jordan DeGoey will be on the market now...

He's exactly the type of player that is of the Geelong 2007-2011 era.
St.Kilda.

Every club passed on Parker just about twice. You can’t use that as an example. Hell freo didn’t even rate fyfe enough to use their first pick on him.

That's because they wanted to screw the Suns over very, very badly - and the Suns knew that if they didn't start winning games in 2018, then Tom Lynch was signed, sealed and delivered to Victoria.

Weller also had a year left on-contract.
So does Kelly does he not?

I've always liked the look of him.
Looks a lot bigger than 6'3" too and can run and tackle hard.

Oh well s**t happens.

It varies year to year..... Smedts Brown Tenace ......

which player would we have taken... from memory we were linked with McKenna... Stanley has played 47 games for us

View attachment 500473
Toby McLean, Mitch McGovern look the best from that list of players... so far.

I think we were linked to Bailey Dale, but the Doggies just took him before Gregson.

We had several rucks as options and had just brought in HMac to be the #1 ruck. We all know now that was perhaps the worst move the club made this century - but at the time it made some degree of sense.

So taking Grundy with a "full" stock of rucks would have been illogical. Now, 6 years later, its plain to see that was the dumbest of things - but hindsight is perfect vision.

As for Goddard, he's done SFA so those unhappy about the deal now can't use him specifically but now what might else have been taken at the pick had we kept it.

At the time you'd never know it was the worst move of the century for the club - but its that way now. You just can't win them all.

GO Catters

Seventeen other clubs also made equally as stupid a mistake. Our pick was at the tail end after everyone else took a look and also said no.

We talk as if it was some Wells exclusive mistake on here aka rambling delideo Franklin Roughead style decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back