Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Useful... In the same way North will look to trade their R1 rather than let it get used for TarThomas.. yes it will be useful of sorts.. but if we can draft Brownless and possibly Mensch with late picks ..it would be smarter to make it "useful" elsewhere rather than take it to the draft. If we could trade it for a 2019 R2 or use it in an upgrade somehow or obviously a player trade ..you get more value from it.
So to say it no good is probably too broad .. if we can use it elsewhere rather than take it to the draft.. I see it as being more useful.
I suspect you are alluding to something that is a gap in my knowledge about how F/S bidding works. Whatever it is I'm not following!

I suspect you are alluding to something that is a gap in my knowledge about how F/S bidding works. Whatever it is I'm not following!

Is it because our F/S picks are likely to go in Round 2 and we have to use our 'next pick' after the bidding club's pick? We'd be forced to use a Round 2 (if we had one) rather than the later round picks as we'd been planning.

I've got no idea how it works, though!

Might have a read through this later:

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/Father-son-bidding-system.pdf

I will try again..
If we have an R2 ( lets say P35 ) and someone rates Brownless at P30 .. we will have to use the P35 on OB
P30 is 629 pts minus the discount of 197 = 432 pts.... P35 (522-432) = 90 pts left over so our pick will move back to P65

If we dont have that Pick at R2 , we will use our late picks that we accumulated to make up the points. P49 (287) , 54 (220) , 55 atm.
Use P49 and P54 and move back to about P68

I will try again..
If we have an R2 ( lets say P35 ) and someone rates Brownless at P30 .. we will have to use the P35 on OB
P30 is 629 pts minus the discount of 197 = 432 pts.... P35 (522-432) = 90 pts left over so our pick will move back to P65

If we dont have that Pick at R2 , we will use our late picks that we accumulated to make up the points. P49 (287) , 54 (220) , 55 atm.
Use P49 and P54 and move back to about P68
It seems to be a flaw in the system that you have to use a pick you traded in. I wasn't aware of that.

Well FA comp isn't even a trade in is it.. but much the same
What's the logic behind it? Why can't you use whatever picks you want that add up to the points required to match the bid?

What's the logic behind it? Why can't you use whatever picks you want that add up to the points required to match the bid?
You can, but the higher Brownless, Mensch are bid on the more points we need.

You can, but the higher Brownless, Mensch are bid on the more points we need.
Understand that, but from what I understand Turbocat is saying, if you don't have a r2 pick (as we don't) you can use later picks to get to the points needed to match the bid. But if instead you trade in an R2 pick and that is your first pick after the bid then you have to use that pick. That seems silly.

Understand that, but from what I understand Turbocat is saying, if you don't have a r2 pick (as we don't) you can use later picks to get to the points needed to match the bid. But if instead you trade in an R2 pick and that is your first pick after the bid then you have to use that pick. That seems silly.
I think he's on the money but it's complicated and I can't be sure. I think If a player is bid on before our first pick we need to use the next pick we have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we stick to our guns and refuse to offer him what he wants. All I can see for him in future is being squeezed out, cause there is no room in the midfield or down back for him, and he's not a forward. IMO he is expendable.

He’s pretty dependable, versatile and handy at worst. Easily best 18, best ten really, and has a right to try to get the best deal from us that he can, just like anyone else. I think fans would be a lot less hard on him if he hadn’t grown his hair, doesn’t really suit him and gave people a tacit excuse to dislike him. People are advocating here that we look at Dahlhaus, fair enough too, but Guthrie is younger and clearly a better player imho.

If you could bypass picks for bidding purposes by trading them, they'd be a loophole where teams would switch with another club in a similar predicament. Get the prospect at a discount and keep their strong draft position.

Team A has pick 24, team B has pick 25 both teams have a F/S who is a top 20 prospect.

The document I have on DVI quotes...
  • In order to pay for the player, the Nominatng Club’s next available pick move backwards in the draft order to the value of the points required.

Id imagine .. the intent is different to the outcome ..as usual.

The idea is that basically is the FS is an R1 or R2 that will use that pick to make up the points... but there was the loophole where clubs going crazy trading in late picks to make up the points. It has been refined to a degree... but there is still noise that will get louder come the draft.
North for example have NGA player that is expected to go top 10... and they will most likely trade out their R1... they are liked DeG and perhaps Gaff.
Id like for us to try and trade with them for it.
In your scenario ..if we picked up a R2 ..id look at trying to trade it with something else , maybe our 2019 R1 to them for their R1. Both clubs could win from that.

He’s pretty dependable, versatile and handy at worst. Easily best 18, best ten really, and has a right to try to get the best deal from us that he can, just like anyone else. I think fans would be a lot less hard on him if he hadn’t grown his hair, doesn’t really suit him and gave people a tacit excuse to dislike him. People are advocating here that we look at Dahlhaus, fair enough too, but Guthrie is younger and clearly a better player imho.
Best 10 :drunk:

You lost me as soon as you said that. Who would you get rid of in our defence or midfield to bring him in? I rate every single one of them higher than mr holding the ball over and over and over.

If you could bypass picks for bidding purposes by trading them, they'd be a loophole where teams would switch with another club in a similar predicament. Get the prospect at a discount and keep their strong draft position.

Team A has pick 24, team B has pick 25 both teams have a F/S who is a top 20 prospect.
AFL makes up the rules as they go. They could veto such a trade.

Lol. Relative of yours?

It seems to be a flaw in the system that you have to use a pick you traded in. I wasn't aware of that.

You dont but you have to use your next available pick after th bid. So by us trading our R2 out it meant if Oscar was bid 15-30 we could use our R3/4 picks to match the bid not the R2.

Its silly IMO but he is correct. It's why clubs with F/S kids are more willing to trade out mid range picks and trade in late ones.

AFL makes up the rules as they go. They could veto such a trade.

After the last couple of years.. Id like to see a trade they veto... the WestCoast and GoldCoast trade last year had a 3 day old fishhead smell about it.. then that deal that got done for haw to get JOM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back