Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If this was a real headline .. I think we would be storming the club ...

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...g/news-story/98f91ebdc15dd453633b0ed5c15ccf54

BREAKING news: At 2pm on June 15, Geelong trades its first-round national draft pick for North Melbourne’s Todd Goldstein.

The Cats are all in for the 2018 premiership.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...g/news-story/98f91ebdc15dd453633b0ed5c15ccf54

I mean sometimes King can be good but ... ARE YOU INSANE? In a super draft.. at least super draft lite... we have not had a R1 for 3 years... and we trade our R1 for another old North ruckman.... me says NO.

Mid season trades like that would be awful.

Too much change and distraction, plus clubs will be under pressure to make trades if they are somewhere near the top. You could be the top team and then a rival sells the farm and overtakes you by poaching one of your players or a key player from another club.

How are you supposed to fit a top players contract into the salary cap midyear?

Just makes the game more complex for the casual viewer which isnt a good thing either.

Mid season trades like that would be awful.

Too much change and distraction, plus clubs will be under pressure to make trades if they are somewhere near the top. You could be the top team and then a rival sells the farm and overtakes you by poaching one of your players or a key player from another club.

How are you supposed to fit a top players contract into the salary cap midyear?

Just makes the game more complex for the casual viewer which isnt a good thing either.

In this particular article the receiving club got the player for the rest of the season for nothing because the players contract stayed on the originals SC... and you pay a premium for that. Im not sure if I like that.. it basically turbo charges your side.. In this example GoldS is on 850G and Geelong has him for zip... so I agree they may be pressure to keep up with the jones... but only if there is a spot.

I dont really buy the distraction thing etc because in a way I feel that so many possible trades are wound up now all season.. it would have the bandaid affect .. Ablett last year may have been a better deal to Gold Coast if we had got him mid year. etc

The thing with Kelly is you often hear draftee's say they were surprised that Geel picked them b/c they had limited contact. This wasn't the case with Kelly. They had meeting after meeting. His twins were already on the agenda so no surprises there.

I don't believe for one second that it wasn't raised in discussions and I'm sure Kelly gave us some assurances. It's the bleeding obvious risk with him.

Therefore whilst things can change once reality sets in, I'm pretty sure Kelly hasn't done a complete 180 after 6 months. Esp givin how well he is going. I'd be very surprised if he asked to be traded. It's just an easy story to write and connect the dots. Neither he nor us could have been blindsided by this. Clearer his next contract needs to be his big earner given his age but he should be thankful that all his hard work, luck ect are finally conspiring his way.

For a late pick Kade Kolo could be a very astute pick. Esp for a Darcy Lang or 'geelongesk' price where the downside is simply a list spot for a further 2 years.
He was drafted with pick 5 - if he was to leave the GC would want at least a second round pick or a best 22 player & sweetener pick

Agree
And also is he really the kind of player were chasing... Personally no.. .
Say Jake was younger and struggling to settle, then maybe look at him to help his brother.

But with our current team balance not sure where he fits, so I'd happily pass and take that pick to the drafting for either a kid or another mature aged recruit

Say Jake was younger and struggling to settle, then maybe look at him to help his brother.

But with our current team balance not sure where he fits, so I'd happily pass and take that pick to the drafting for either a kid or another mature aged recruit

As I said earlier .. id consider it based on price ..if we have a Thurlow go out and KK comes in ..its almost Pink Lady for Fuji ... I suspect he is atm almost bottoming out and could be a lot better than he is showing... but there is a risk so a certain amount of a social attitude would have to play a part.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Theres a free agent ruck next year who also plays for the Eagles. Maybe Esava could spend some time recovering in the West Australian sun and making friends. I know it’s not going to happen but a bit can dream.

Watching Lycett tonight... im not convinced he will be anything other another B grade ruck for us .... we should be very careful before selling the farm. Its seems to me his most attractive features are he is younger than our guys and he is a FA.
To be honest , Id be happier to commit the dollars towards keeping kelly happy.. and pick a ruck in the draft and just keeping flogging Stanley till a quality guy is available. If we must commit towards getting another ruck the last thing we need is another guy who we are adding to the rotation..we need someone who is obviously our #1 ... and is there one on the market?

Watching Lycett tonight... im not convinced he will be anything other another B grade ruck for us .... we should be very careful before selling the farm. Its seems to me his most attractive features are he is younger than our guys and he is a FA.
To be honest , Id be happier to commit the dollars towards keeping kelly happy.. and pick a ruck in the draft and just keeping flogging Stanley till a quality guy is available. If we must commit towards getting another ruck the last thing we need is another guy who we are adding to the rotation..we need someone who is obviously our #1 ... and is there one on the market?

Spot on. If we target a ruck and we can't secure a genuine no.1 ruck then give me a bloke with aggression and a love for the contest. That was the beauty of Mummy, even if he was getting beaten he just kept cracking in.

Zac Smith cost us 2 x 3rd rd picks.

So whilst he's not playing he didnt cost the world.
Stanley was #21.

Lycett will cost over 500k per year fpr 3 years...or more...

Better get it right if he is the guy.... otherwise its a REAL expensive mistake.

Go Catters

A ruck in the draft (unless mature age) doesn't solve our problem as we need an immediate no1 ruck and 18yo rucks take years to develop. I don't really rate Lycett though he's just a decent option in a weak year for rucks. Be interesting to see how Longer goes vs Witts today.

Stanley was #21.

Better get it right if he is the guy.... otherwise its a REAL expensive mistake.

Go Catters

He'll cost more than that for them not to match an RFA bid. You're looking at 600 a year x4 min.

A ruck in the draft (unless mature age) doesn't solve our problem as we need an immediate no1 ruck and 18yo rucks take years to develop. I don't really rate Lycett though he's just a decent option in a weak year for rucks. Be interesting to see how Longer goes vs Witts today.

Rock and hard place ... I agree ..unlike Fogertiy etc it highly unlikely that u18 drafted ruck come in and plays.. is there an example of some kid doing it? The best ruckman not getting a game at the moment is a tough assessment but to me its probably Naismith. and he is out injured. ..and out of contract.
If we had a disposable player willing to go to the Swans id do that trade..he has already shown he can play at number 1.

You basically have wrapped up the way I feel about Lycett. He will cost what ever he costs ..it all ludicrous money so I can see the logic.. you pay market rate to get him FA for 2 years and he probably replaces Smith.Its good from an age POV anyway. If we can trade for someone that has shown a hisitory of better play, better ruck skills etc ..then Id say we keep him.. as I think again..cs rates him a bit more than Smith.

But of how id just love for us to give Abbot a go , and for him to come out and just compete and be an ugly mongrel and throw his body into it have the look that he will give us a competitor.. and then we say fine lets add a couple of kids ..Blake S as a Rookie and if somehow a talented kid is there at our pick , if we do get another r1 id love for us to stop the ruck denial.

Rock and hard place ... I agree ..unlike Fogertiy etc it highly unlikely that u18 drafted ruck come in and plays.. is there an example of some kid doing it? The best ruckman not getting a game at the moment is a tough assessment but to me its probably Naismith. and he is out injured. ..and out of contract.
If we had a disposable player willing to go to the Swans id do that trade..he has already shown he can play at number 1.

Darcy last year was a first year player wasn't he? Other than that I imagine it's probably state leaguers - I'm sure Abbott could have attempted to play, but it probably would have been a bit messy.

Stanley was #21.

Go Catters
He is RFA now..which sort of means he is on more than that for his next contract. I agree about being tied in too long but the money tree has to be picked.. what would Smith be on? he is a couple of years younger and playing AFL atm.. so he would probably be a reasonable add but id have serious doubts he is our new Polly Farmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back