Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No comparisons of course and no pressure but GA'J was a late pick and also a slow developer. If I remember rightly and I should, it took junior about season 3 possibly 4 before he became a star

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I dont think Abletts pick position is a good data point now ... it was a different system.. and no matter the talent of the kid a FS cost an R3 pick. A better way would be to look at recent FS ..not just for Geelong. The current system is designed to give a cloak of equity to what a FS is picked for .. but Naish last till 34 lats year is just another example of clubs preferring to not pick FS till its overwhelmingly unders. He was expected go go a lot earlier. Bews did not get a bid and was a slow developer.

My guess is unless he obviously R1 he will go much later than a reasonable estimate of his value. Even if he is much better than R3 , it may be all we pay

I dont think Abletts pick position is a good data point now ... it was a different system.. and no matter the talent of the kid a FS cost an R3 pick. A better way would be to look at recent FS ..not just for Geelong. The current system is designed to give a cloak of equity to what a FS is picked for .. but Naish last till 34 lats year is just another example of clubs preferring to not pick FS till its overwhelmingly unders. He was expected go go a lot earlier. Bews did not get a bid and was a slow developer.

My guess is unless he obviously R1 he will go much later than a reasonable estimate of his value. Even if he is much better than R3 , it may be all we pay

Yep. Now, there is the "we will have a disgruntled early pick on our hands ......and a go "home" player on our list if we go early on a FS from another club (unless the talent is so obvious its worth the gamble - as Turbo indicated).

IMO GAblett and Scarlett were probably "expensive". In today's system we would have paid less. Neither were compelling talents at 17/18 yo.

Yep. Now, there is the "we will have a disgruntled early pick on our hands ......and a go "home" player on our list if we go early on a FS from another club (unless the talent is so obvious its worth the gamble - as Turbo indicated).

IMO GAblett and Scarlett were probably "expensive". In today's system we would have paid less. Neither were compelling talents at 17/18 yo.

Very hard to judge. Scarlett cost us an R4 so not what id call expensive. Ablett probably had some cache to his name but 2001 was "the draft" ..if ever someone was going to slip that was the draft. I wonder what Champion stats guys would have said about his draft value based on his u18 form.

May have missed something there, who is the potential 'go home' FS.?

Thought the discussion/post from Turbocat was a follow on from a previous post about Brownless. The only go home (and it's because he is actually living here in QLD and has multiple options) FS that I know of in the next draft, would be Scott.

Any1 seen him training with our guys..? I've seen him play, wouldn't be unhappy if he chose Geelong.

Thought the discussion/post from Turbocat was a follow on from a previous post about Brownless. The only go home (and it's because he is actually living here in QLD and has multiple options) FS that I know of in the next draft, would be Scott.

Any1 seen him training with our guys..? I've seen him play, wouldn't be unhappy if he chose Geelong.

In reference to the way FS picks occur today - go home refers to grown up at "X club" , picked up by Y club. Not happy! In fact very unhappy!
Will do my 2 years but always wanted to play for X club!! Trade thanks.

Very hard to judge. Scarlett cost us an R4 so not what id call expensive. Ablett probably had some cache to his name but 2001 was "the draft" ..if ever someone was going to slip that was the draft. I wonder what Champion stats guys would have said about his draft value based on his u18 form.

Rnd 4 was not a "big pick" for Scarlo - agree, but not many who discuss his F/S slection would concede that. I also know as do others that he was a bit of a loose cannon and would be a gamble. Big win or big implosion. In today's environment he would not attract a bid. Thats all.

Last edited:
In reference to the way FS picks occur today - go home refers to grown up at "X club" , picked up by Y club. Not happy! In fact very unhappy!
Will do my 2 years but always wanted to play for X club!! Trade thanks.

Rnd 4 was not a "big pick" for Scarlo - agree, but not many who discuss his F/S slection would concede that. I also know as do others that he was a bit of a loose cannon and would be a gamble. Big win or big implosion. In today's environment he would not attract a bid. Thats all.
Yeah, sorry that doesn't help. You still did not say who the go home FS is that you have refered to and why I posted the query in the 1st place

I knew someone involved with the club back then who was very confident the cats had picked up two genuine dud father sons. One Scarlett the other David Clarke who even though had ordinary skills still played 100 odd games by memory. We still have a joke about the Scarlett call and I will never ever let him forget!

Yeah, sorry that doesn't help. You still did not say who the go home FS is that you have refered to and why I posted the query in the 1st place

The F/S I refer to is any son of a 100+ game footballer who is bid and selected by an opposition club i.e. not the club his dad played for.

For example if Naish had been selected by North or StKilda then he would have been very disappointed. The possibility that he would request a trade back to Richmond after two years would be greater than any other "non F/S " pick.

If say Brownless was bid early and selected by Melbourne (say) everything would have to go right for him not to look hard at a move to his fathers club at the first chance.

Last edited:
Rnd 4 was not a "big pick" for Scarlo - agree, but not many who discuss his F/S selection would concede that. I also know as do others that he was a bit of a loose cannon and would be a gamble. Big win or big implosion. In today's environment he would not attract a bid. Thats all.

CW... imo its very hard to determine what those players in the past would have gone for now. I agree on Scarlett as a kid. The Club pressure thing was probably an element in Geelong choice to draft him in spite of his wild ways... and these days I doubt we would draft such a loose cannon kid.

The discussion was generated about why the bids are generally later than many think a player may be worthy of being selected at. Whether its go home or a general unwritten agreement .. it seems to be rare that a FS is bid on early .. a lot seem to drift. I doubt a Vic side would be too worried about FS for a Vic kid but who knows ..when there are so many kids to picks from why add that to the mix of doubts. Obviously if OB was a standout single figure draft prospect , someone would call his name .its just a matter of how early it but would it be GWS ?

Bailey Scott looks like a good player indeed. I posted this pic a while back in the thread, it appears he was training with the Cats Squad in Early December. Sam Walsh on the left, looks like he has grown a bit, maybe 184cm, Scott looks about 186cm. Nice versatile types. We wont get Walsh unless he slips, should be Top 10 pick.

24991238_1835998736429927_4235032162385267162_n.jpg

Has this been mentioned?
"Bumper crop of free agents in 2018"

Cameron Guthrie
George Horlin-Smith
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2018-01-03/bumper-crop-of-free-agents-in-2018

Guthrie has to be re-signed + any chance that Hyphen could be trade bait, if he cannot get a game in 2018?

What is the chance that Danger could persuade Sloane to join Geelong? If the salary cap is too tight, some of GFC's sponsors could top up the balance ;)

Has this been mentioned?
"Bumper crop of free agents in 2018"

Cameron Guthrie
George Horlin-Smith
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2018-01-03/bumper-crop-of-free-agents-in-2018

Guthrie has to be re-signed + any chance that Hyphen could be trade bait, if he cannot get a game in 2018?

What is the chance that Danger could persuade Sloane to join Geelong? If the salary cap is too tight, some of GFC's sponsors could top up the balance ;)

zero chance of trade bait ... if he cant game he will be worth nothing. think of Lang this year and that was a very late pick. He has previously said he was not interested in moving anyway...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And which mid is he going to replace? It’s pointless having him on our list because we so many mids in front of him.

I know we've an over abundance of those who want to and could play midfield, and George is one of those.
Looking at his stats l wish some of the more fancied could win the ball as often, especially when considering his lack of exposure at the highest level, yet retuning such good numbers.
Surprised me.

Who ever gave GHS a 3 year deal in 2015 should be ashamed of himself.
I was angry and confused at the time and now I’m ropable.
Depends on the money he's on. List spots haven't exactly been at a premium over the past few seasons and Horlo is a better player than anyone delisted in that time. Depth player that will be lucky to get much of another contract but it wasn't that poor a choice.

Its funny we drafted GHS and how we have developed him. He was an outside midfielder who was slow as treacle in his junior years but could hit the scoreboard. We turn him into an inside midfielder. He was a bad recruiting decision then and I'm shocked we still have him on the list

Depends on the money he's on. List spots haven't exactly been at a premium over the past few seasons and Horlo is a better player than anyone delisted in that time. Depth player that will be lucky to get much of another contract but it wasn't that poor a choice.

My issue wasn’t giving him a contract it’s the length given at the time.
1, 2 years tops but not 3 years

I know we've an over abundance of those who want to and could play midfield, and George is one of those.
Looking at his stats l wish some of the more fancied could win the ball as often, especially when considering his lack of exposure at the highest level, yet retuning such good numbers.
Surprised me.

He is a better player than Murdoch, for instance...

Who ever gave GHS a 3 year deal in 2015 should be ashamed of himself.
I was angry and confused at the time and now I’m ropable.

Why? I doubt that he is on anything substantial dollars wise. He is good depth at least, in the same way that prismall was ten years ago. It’s important to have cheap, reliable second tier guys who can step in if you are having a genuine crack at a flag, which I think this side is at least aspiring towards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back