Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d forget about that

Read his managers comment, he has planted the seed that Geelong will be the ones to blame
Sometimes we need to read the lie of 5he land, and not what we want

However if I was Geelong, I’d want pick 10 or I’d keep him
As next year wce or freo stump up, or he goes into draft and ends up at gc

He cant go in the draft this year Kelly is contracted.

Kenjo

Senior List
Dec 22, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
for gc pick 3
freo
1st and 2nd round
Nah Menegola worth more than that, and if not, worth way more for us to keep. I think if Kelly goes to west coast, it’ll be a first rounder (pick 12?) and probably a swap of later picks.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
He wont go in the draft then either IMO.

No... but will be out of contract. Im still hoping that the firestorm around him will all be gone soon by him extending.

The Krock Podcast raised the idea of trading Menegola .. what do you think we is worth ..and if WC are short of mids now... and they lose Gaff.. would they look at someone like him? Especially if they miss on kelly this year.

And how do you think we will use the in draft trading this year? Tactically what do you think Wells may try?

Last edited:
So for the 1st night we will only hear the 10 top picks.... Then hear the rest on the 2nd night. .. Bit of a joke really.. . Surely they could do it in 1 night. ..
its copying the NFL version - but they now do full Rd1 night 1, Rd2-3 night 2 and Rd 4-7 day 3

It wont work for AFL as the picks 1-10 mean that 1/2 the Rd1 is pushed off. Stupid idea. Finish Rd1 best way to go.

Just shake my head at AFL trying SO hard to be a seppo sport and failing.

Go Catters

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
its copying the NFL version - but they now do full Rd1 night 1, Rd2-3 night 2 and Rd 4-7 day 3

It wont work for AFL as the picks 1-10 mean that 1/2 the Rd1 is pushed off. Stupid idea. Finish Rd1 best way to go.

Just shake my head at AFL trying SO hard to be a seppo sport and failing.

Go Catters

Its really elaborate version of pin the tail on the donkey.. they know its there somewhere , and they sort of know what they want the end outcome to be but just are not sure which was is the best way to get there.

I can only think that they have arrived at top ten as some sort numerological metric .. that top10 is just a nice neat number. It really doesn't appear to make much sense apart from that they create , in their mind , two separate new events .. with little thought that you are basically excluding half the comps supporters who will not be interested as they have no personal stake in the top 10. Id say id be different to most and would still watch it ... perhaps as it progresses it may give one an insight to how the trading will work.

Last edited:
No... but will be out of contract. Im still hoping that the firestorm around him will all be gone soon by him extending.

The Krock Podcast raised the idea of trading Menegola .. what do you think we is worth ..and if WC are short of mids now... and they lose Gaff.. would they look at someone like him? Especially if they miss on kelly this year.

And how do you think we will use the in draft trading this year? Tactically what do you think Wells may try?

Menegolas becoming a very good player and is worth way more to us than we'd get in a trade.

I dont think well try and live trade up unless our FS bids come earlier than our R1 and wr need to tactically get around it. I expect minimal movement from us mainly fringe guys like thurlow murdoch ghs out for not much, we wont trade any quality players for picks unless we get a well overs offer for kelly, bring in one or two FAs (probably Dahlhaus) have a live R1 and our later picks for FS.

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
That's 1 thing on the KRock Podcast I totally disagree in one 'idea' of trading Menegola is absolutely nonsenses .. Like the comments above said his worth to much to us then trade value.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I see Oscar Brownless is training 4 hours a week with the main group, looks almost certain we will draft him. Question is whether he will be bid on, I doubt it in the First 30 picks, so I reckon we might get him with one of those Picks in the 50s.

CatsDoItBetter

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
I love the Krock coverage but the podcast promotes 10 year deals for its favourite players and trading the rest. That part of the podcast is more pub banter than anything else.
While we might not agree with every decision the club inn balance gets things right. 2 weeks ago we were all delisting Abbott but now he’ll stay.
With the Hawks coming up this week they aren’t on the mind. They do well to find players with in game aggression at the ball and man. We’d do well to find some players to add with that mindset. Fogarty, Narkle, Stewart and Esava are recent recruits who have it.

The Bandwagon

Club Legend
Jul 1, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
I love the Krock coverage but the podcast promotes 10 year deals for its favourite players and trading the rest. That part of the podcast is more pub banter than anything else.
While we might not agree with every decision the club inn balance gets things right. 2 weeks ago we were all delisting Abbott but now he’ll stay.
With the Hawks coming up this week they aren’t on the mind. They do well to find players with in game aggression at the ball and man. We’d do well to find some players to add with that mindset. Fogarty, Narkle, Stewart and Esava are recent recruits who have it.
I'm still not convinced on Fogarty. His kicking technique is terrible and his execution even worse.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm still not convinced on Fogarty. His kicking technique is terrible and his execution even worse.
His ball drop and execution looks quite slow doesn't it... I think he can fix it, or at least improve it. The kid has enough zip, grunt and can read the play, I think he'll be a decent player still.

He should learn how to do bullet kicks like Duncan or even Menegola (people might erk on the latter, but I reckon he can cannon the ball).

The Bandwagon

Club Legend
Jul 1, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
His ball drop and execution looks quite slow doesn't it... I think he can fix it, or at least improve it. The kid has enough zip, grunt and can read the play, I think he'll be a decent player still.

He should learn how to do bullet kicks like Duncan or even Menegola (people might erk on the latter, but I reckon he can cannon the ball).
I hope so but I have my doubts.

Its really elaborate version of pin the tail on the donkey.. they know its there somewhere , and they sort of know what they want the end outcome to be but just are not sure which was is the best way to get there.

I can only think that they have arrived at top ten as some sort numerological metric .. that top is just nice neat number. It really doesn't appear to make much sense apart from that they create , in their mind , two separate new events .. with little thought that you are basically excluding half the comps supporters who will not be interested as they have no personal stake in the top 10. Id say id be different to most and would still watch it ... perhaps as it progresses it may give one an insight to how the trading will work.
It’s stupid to do 10 IMO. Do he entire rd1. It’s only 8 more pics. And then what are you saying to the rest of the rd 1 picks - you ain’t important enough to be a real rd1.
Imo it’s the typical AFL way of trying to be something and not realizing they can’t.
The NFL draft has evolved into a 3 day event over the last 5 years - with 30 years of development behind it. And the public has driven the growth. Multiple networks - massive public interest and demand. The AFL are driving this trying to make it a spectacle - and there is the difference. NFL has the demand for it...
The AFL does not.

Go Catters

Rosso

Club Legend
Sep 19, 2005
Down South
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Kansas City Chiefs
If they want to make it a 2 day event then do round 1 including compos and then the rest the following day. Even with live trading can't see it being must watch TV with just 10 picks.
Based on some of the past drafts the top 10 has gone pretty much to plan with maybe one or two eyebrow raisers.

The Bandwagon

Club Legend
Jul 1, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
If they want to make it a 2 day event then do round 1 including compos and then the rest the following day. Even with live trading can't see it being must watch TV with just 10 picks.
Based on some of the past drafts the top 10 has gone pretty much to plan with maybe one or two eyebrow raisers.
I'd go further and do the first two rounds on day 1 followed by the rest of the draft and the rookie draft on the following day.

I would like to keep Menegola and give him more midfield time and keep Selsy at the back, Biggest problem is the army of small forwards and none have really stepped up so far.[/QUOTE]

Half of them are in the rehab room.

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
So if you have pick 10 going into the draft and there's a bid inside the top 10 you'll have to wait another day? Not to mention the fact that it'll either be a really short night or a really drawn out one.

Should be first round at a minimum. I would have thought first rounds tbh... then do the other rounds and drafts on the second night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back