Hinkley29

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2008
the heart of darkness
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
StL Cards, THFC, South Sydney
That’s the thing though. We don’t have any concerns about blooding first year players over the journey, even in big games. So that takes out another common reason to not play him. I need to start watching VFL.
I need to preface this with saying that I have not seen Miers since the pre-season.

But....I had/have serious concerns about his kicking action. May be accurate in open play, and probably ok at lower levels, but appeared to me as an action that would struggle to hold up under serious pressure and was quite slow from hand to foot. Felt like an player that was likely to be kicking under pressure because of the time required to get that action in operation.

As I said, this was an observation based on a ridiculously small sample size, and I hope I am wrong.

Can anyone give me any comfort that this won’t be an issue? Please?

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Grrrrrr

https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.a...y/news-story/97b515881fa9c51f8c3f0d839922ca59

41399c59e885ca6d980dae81226481fb

Ollie Henry, 16, is inspired after seeing what his brother Jack Henry has done at AFL level. Picture: Peter Ristevski
GEELONG CATS
Jack Henry’s brotherly inspiration for Ollie Henry

OLLIE Henry, the younger brother of Geelong rising star nominee Jack Henry, says the day his brother got drafted proved a turning point in his own career.

Henry, 16, has made rapid improvement in Geelong Falcons’ development program, putting him in line for a pre-season invitation to the Falcons’ TAC Cup tryouts this summer.

By his own admission, Henry had just made up the numbers in representative teams in the past. But over the past 12 months, which has included representing Vic Country at this year’s under-16 national championships, he has been spurred on by Jack’s career progression.

“The love of footy has always been there, but really wanting to go far, there’s been a lot more of that since Jack’s gone through the system,” Henry told the Geelong Advertiser.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
When we traded Christensen to Brisbane we got pick 21, with Caddy to Richmond it was pick 24 (plus a swap of later picks) - both were better players & showed more than Billings, so if a trade was done purely for Billings I'd be looking at a later 2nd round pick.

He does some nice things Billing ..its hard to judge just how valuable they would be in a better side... he has a bit of class but he is also far from a lock solid player.. and I don't see him as a typical pressure forward he is more that forward mid type ..something in the 20's

He does some nice things Billing ..its hard to judge just how valuable they would be in a better side... he has a bit of class but he is also far from a lock solid player.. and I don't see him as a typical pressure forward he is more that forward mid type ..something in the 20's

I think one of the problems for Billings is that St Kilda don't know exactly where to use him - I remember watching a Saints match either earlier this year or late last year (and not against Geelong, so not exactly sure why I was watching), and the commentators were being a bit critical of Richardson's use of Billings as it appears they were trying to move him into the midfield but he wasn't having enough of an impact in that role. Their recommendation was to leave him as that creative forward type player and have him become the best player in that position, rather than taking him away from his natural instincts which was happening with the midfield move.

He seems to be a bit in limbo, and like a few other players he might do well to look at a change of club & a change of environment as that might be the spark he needs to take the next step - just seems to have stalled a bit this year (5th year at the club) and hasn't really lifted his game from last year - these are his averages from 2017 to 2018:
Disposals - 23.1 vs 21.6
Marks - 5.5 vs 4.8
Goals - 1.1 vs 0.6
Tackles - 3.1 vs 2.8
Clearances - 1.4 vs 0.7

To the right team he would be worth a slightly higher pick, but to Geelong I'm not sure he is the type of player we would be looking at as I don't see him as someone who would make us a better team next year, and I just feel that if you're going to trade a pick in the 20s for a player (especially one in the early 20s) then you want it to be on a player who is going to come in as a best 18 player, and right now I'd rather back in a few of our young forwards to develop further.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I think one of the problems for Billings is that St Kilda don't know exactly where to use him - I remember watching a Saints match either earlier this year or late last year (and not against Geelong, so not exactly sure why I was watching), and the commentators were being a bit critical of Richardson's use of Billings as it appears they were trying to move him into the midfield but he wasn't having enough of an impact in that role. Their recommendation was to leave him as that creative forward type player and have him become the best player in that position, rather than taking him away from his natural instincts which was happening with the midfield move.

He seems to be a bit in limbo, and like a few other players he might do well to look at a change of club & a change of environment as that might be the spark he needs to take the next step - just seems to have stalled a bit this year (5th year at the club) and hasn't really lifted his game from last year - these are his averages from 2017 to 2018:
Disposals - 23.1 vs 21.6
Marks - 5.5 vs 4.8
Goals - 1.1 vs 0.6
Tackles - 3.1 vs 2.8
Clearances - 1.4 vs 0.7

To the right team he would be worth a slightly higher pick, but to Geelong I'm not sure he is the type of player we would be looking at as I don't see him as someone who would make us a better team next year, and I just feel that if you're going to trade a pick in the 20s for a player (especially one in the early 20s) then you want it to be on a player who is going to come in as a best 18 player, and right now I'd rather back in a few of our young forwards to develop further.

I don't really want to trade for anyone this year but if the right deal came along I suppose we should look at it.. just not sure on Billing he looks like he should be better than he is...

frggr

Fan Favourite (they/them)
May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
Its really elaborate version of pin the tail on the donkey.. they know its there somewhere , and they sort of know what they want the end outcome to be but just are not sure which was is the best way to get there.

I can only think that they have arrived at top ten as some sort numerological metric .. that top10 is just a nice neat number. It really doesn't appear to make much sense apart from that they create , in their mind , two separate new events .. with little thought that you are basically excluding half the comps supporters who will not be interested as they have no personal stake in the top 10. Id say id be different to most and would still watch it ... perhaps as it progresses it may give one an insight to how the trading will work.
I think top 10 is nice because (in a perfect world, untainted by compo) it's all the teams that didn't play finals.

Grrrrrr

https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.a...y/news-story/97b515881fa9c51f8c3f0d839922ca59

41399c59e885ca6d980dae81226481fb

Ollie Henry, 16, is inspired after seeing what his brother Jack Henry has done at AFL level. Picture: Peter Ristevski
GEELONG CATS
Jack Henry’s brotherly inspiration for Ollie Henry

OLLIE Henry, the younger brother of Geelong rising star nominee Jack Henry, says the day his brother got drafted proved a turning point in his own career.

Henry, 16, has made rapid improvement in Geelong Falcons’ development program, putting him in line for a pre-season invitation to the Falcons’ TAC Cup tryouts this summer.

By his own admission, Henry had just made up the numbers in representative teams in the past. But over the past 12 months, which has included representing Vic Country at this year’s under-16 national championships, he has been spurred on by Jack’s career progression.

“The love of footy has always been there, but really wanting to go far, there’s been a lot more of that since Jack’s gone through the system,” Henry told the Geelong Advertiser.

so much for stealth...o_O

Go Catters

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
Anyone ( Turbocat) that can help on the kids in the draft.. . Besides the King brothers, what potential Key Forwards that look good in the draft? As most of the ones in the people who published the phantom draft aren't such as Key Position Players, and if they are they are Academy players etc

Anyone ( Turbocat) that can help on the kids in the draft.. . Besides the King brothers, what potential Key Forwards that look good in the draft? As most of the ones in the people who published the phantom draft aren't such as Key Position Players, and if they are they are Academy players etc
Watched the Vic Country game at KP a few weeks back and loved the look of Bailey Williams. Big red headed brute who looked like he moved between ruck and key forward. Moved well, looks like he's hard at it. I think he's predicted to go late teens/early twenties so maybe not really in our range. Unless of course we go deep into September.

And although quiet stats wise that game I really like Oscar Brownless' use of his hands in that game. Looks like a genuine footballer to me. Now that's not saying he will make it or not, but he does have the footy brain to succeed.

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
Watched the Vic Country game at KP a few weeks back and loved the look of Bailey Williams. Big red headed brute who looked like he moved between ruck and key forward. Moved well, looks like he's hard at it. I think he's predicted to go late teens/early twenties so maybe not really in our range. Unless of course we go deep into September.

And although quiet stats wise that game I really like Oscar Brownless' use of his hands in that game. Looks like a genuine footballer to me. Now that's not saying he will make it or not, but he does have the footy brain to succeed.
Thanks Mac :thumbsu: Gee that could be rite in our draft pick.. As me personally I'd use our first pick on a key forward .

Oscar will be good. I do think he will spend his 1st year in the VFL like Miers is doing rite now.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

Tip..just tag me if you want me to contribute.. put a @ in front of the handle and it will come up as being mentioned...

I like the look of Munn ... has a bit of big dog mongrel about him.. if you watched any of the sa champs ..Rankine and Luk got all the attention but I like what he did. He is big body .. can he bring his game to afl level? Id like to see his Combine info..

he is raw.. and no immediate replacement.. but he is someone that could be a Hawkins type..

[/QUOTE]

I have mentioned William's consistently going back to last years draft ... as we know KPF unless they are standouts like the Kings sometime you have to look at who has something you like. If we are looking to add someone who can play minutes in the ruck.. Williams is a good chance. Fraction short as a ruck..but is 3cm taller than Henry and its him who athleticism is who id compare him to...

A cheap one who looked like he has skills was Bowman as Ruck/forward type...

Last edited:

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I hope we go for some stronger body types at this draft...

Delist Hayball for starters... Also delist the injury prone McCarthy. Delist Black.

See if we can do a trade for a decent small forward; some names - Ronke (Swans), Fantasia (Dons), Tipungwuti (Dons). Trade bait - Z Smith (probably our best currency).

If we can't get one, then be prepared to play G-Ablett there next season.

See if we can trade Thurlow, GHS (or as FA)... Bring in some speed in back half, Jayden Hunt was suggested - I think its a good idea.

See if Harry Taylor can retire one year early. He is starting to look like a permanent sick note. Free up some salary cap.

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
Tip..just tag me if you want me to contribute.. put a @ in front of the handle and it will come up as being mentioned...

I like the look of Munn ... has a bit of big dog mongrel about him.. if you watched any of the sa champs ..Rankine and Luk got all the attention but I like what he did. He is big body .. can he bring his game to afl level? Id like to see his Combine info..

he is raw.. and no immediate replacement.. but he is someone that could be a Hawkins type..

I have mentioned William's consistently going back to last years draft ... as we know KPF unless they are standouts like the Kings sometime you have to look at who has something you like. If we are looking to add someone who can play minutes in the ruck.. Williams is a good chance. Fraction short as a ruck..but is 3cm taller than Henry and its him who athleticism is who id compare him to...

A cheap one who looked like he has skills was Bowman as Ruck/forward type...[/QUOTE]
Your the man Turbocat

I hope we go for some stronger body types at this draft...

Delist Hayball for starters... Also delist the injury prone McCarthy. Delist Black.

See if we can do a trade for a decent small forward; some names - Ronke (Swans), Fantasia (Dons), Tipungwuti (Dons). Trade bait - Z Smith (probably our best currency).

If we can't get one, then be prepared to play G-Ablett there next season.

See if we can trade Thurlow, GHS (or as FA)... Bring in some speed in back half, Jayden Hunt was suggested - I think its a good idea.

See if Harry Taylor can retire one year early. He is starting to look like a permanent sick note. Free up some salary cap.
Ronke could be a star and Fantasia already is so they are pipe dreams. Love the Hunt idea. I see he's back in this week, maybe it would've been better if he stayed out.

Looks good.

On Williams, I think I read that he was the highest rated ruck in the TAC last year as an under ager and has added the key forward bit this season.

catman2006

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sunderland & Penrith
Ruck isn't the issue as much as finding a forward line, anything the club does should be in the way of getting another tall forward and quick small forwards that can also defend.

Stocks_go_Up

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Ruck isn't the issue as much as finding a forward line, anything the club does should be in the way of getting another tall forward and quick small forwards that can also defend.
I think both are BIG issues. Ruck and forward line. The midfield issues can be fixed with a good ruckman and coaching about stoppage setup and basics like body positioning. The other issues are coaching related (structure, zones, team unity, belief). Players skill levels is a bit of both - recruiting and coaching.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Turbocat Gee Munn looks like a tank. What is Munn me too go in approx in the draft?

I doubt he goes R1..after that.. anyone who tells you they know for sure what 18 individual teams are going to ... is a little ahead of themselves.. I would say he fits the mold of many talls that fall to late as he probably will take time

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Our top 6-8 players are very good and perhaps the best in the comp.

We should trade as many picks as we can to get in some solid B grade players to add depth to our side which is our major problem.

If our bottom 6 had been better we would of won an extra 5 games this year and be in the top 4.

Which picks are you talking about?

This years next years?

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
Heard a few little tit bits this morning. House, Hayball gone. C.Guthrie is on the trade table at the end of the year. Scarlett has apparently ripped through a few players during the year including Z.Smith and Thurlow. Don’t be surprised to see both move on.
I highly doubt C Guthrie is on the trade after his just sign a new contract.
I'd rather keep House then Gardner. .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back