Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The closest I can think of is the trade we did for McIntosh.

In McIntosh's last 3 seasons at North he had played 28 games and we traded pick 38 for him.

McCarthy's last 3 seasons have seen him play 24 matches (majority of his games). I'm thinking chances are if it was Geelong bringing in that player they'd offer a third round pick - while as fans we'd be hoping they wouldn't offer anything better than a 5th round pick.

Probably settle for a 4th round pick because I've heard/read the idea with trades that when (fans of) both clubs feels like they have been screwed over that it's generally a fair deal - and I think that if you are willing to offer a decent contract ($ & years) then it should be somewhat reflected in the trade.

Pick 40 probably is a little high - their next pick (currently) is 58, and if they traded that pick it would give us 54, 55, 56 & 58 (current order), which helps us build bit of a war chest for f&s bidding.
could we send him and a late pick of ours to them and get something sliightly more upgraded back?

Not sure of that helps the point s bidding or giving us another 4th rounder to play with.

GO Catters

I thought the club should've gone after Goldstein when he was out of favor in 2017 or 16. But we missed that boat.

He was never out of favour really but i get your point. North may trade him this year if they want currency for other ins and they think Preuss can step up. He is FA next year after all. And he will probably only want a Victorian club. The difficult thing is value you wouldn't trade a R1 and we don't have a 25-35 pick (which is probably his value).

What picks do they currently hold?

4 22 40 58 76 and 94. There's a good thread at the top of the D & T board which shows the picks every club currently has btw.

He was never out of favour really but i get your point. North may trade him this year if they want currency for other ins and they think Preuss can step up. He is FA next year after all. And he will probably only want a Victorian club. The difficult thing is value you wouldn't trade a R1 and we don't have a 25-35 pick (which is probably his value).
Would Abbott have signed up if he thought Goldstein was on his way here?

Would Abbott have signed up if he thought Goldstein was on his way here?

No but he wouldnt know...us signing him is insurance i doubt it will stop us chasing an A grade ruck.

could we send him and a late pick of ours to them and get something sliightly more upgraded back?

Not sure of that helps the point s bidding or giving us another 4th rounder to play with.

GO Catters

Basically anything earlier than 73 that gives us more bid points than we have now helps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if the boards of all the other teams that also didn't pick Grundy sulk like we do about it still?
im sure they do, be we have a special class of sulking here.

GO Catters

Gee if we got a 2nd round pick but I doubt we will get it

If you not sure what I'm on about read the article I posted

No ones giving a R2 for him id bite their hand off if they did. We will probably ask for 40 and they offer 76, 58 is the middle ground.

Basically anything earlier than 73 that gives us more bid points than we have now helps.

I think we already have enough bid points as it is.

I doubt anybody calls Oscar Brownless out before pick say, 60 to be honest. He's a very late pick or even rookie pick from what he's shown.

Bailey scott is probably a top 30ish pick which we have covered already with our late picks and it's still to be seen if he even picks us.

There's no point loading up more IMO.

Obviously it is risky to us having a pick in the 20s, especially as compensation for Kelly (should we deal with WC) as it may get swallowed up in the event Scott chooses us if a club picks him a bit earlier.

Strengthens the fact that we must not falter in our stance on adequate compensation for Kelly. I.e. a top 10 pick or GTFO.

On to Kelly..

There seems to be so much debate on his worth from us, WC, and freo fans.

It is so freaking obvious how it will play out (assuming he chooses home this year or next).

If we trade him in 2019, we get WC or Freo's round 1 pick. That is a given. He is worth a pick 8 - 12 this year or next.

We won't trade him for less than that this year as we get that next year when we are forced to trade. So for us to trade him we need something extra to compensate us for the loss of a season of Kelly while we still push for a flag.

The only available options for us to agree to a trade split by the 2 perth clubs are:

• Freo's pick 6 (some other late pick swaps in their favour), assuming they get pick 5 for Neale.
  • West coast's 2019 R1 (which we get anyway if we trade next year) plus their gaff compo (probably be about pick 22 after FA, pp etc. which compensates us for losing a season of Kelly).
The above trades are slightly in our favour on paper to compensate us for losing a season of Kelly in his prime.

The alternative is to accept next year's R1 from WC/Freo + a full season of Kelly.

There will be no Kelly trade for a 20s WC pick - mark my words.

I think we already have enough bid points as it is.

I doubt anybody calls Oscar Brownless out before pick say, 60 to be honest. He's a very late pick or even rookie pick from what he's shown.

Bailey scott is probably a top 30ish pick which we have covered already with our late picks and it's still to be seen if he even picks us.

There's no point loading up more IMO.

Obviously it is risky to us having a pick in the 20s, especially as compensation for Kelly (should we deal with WC) as it may get swallowed up in the event Scott chooses us if a club picks him a bit earlier.

Strengthens the fact that we must not falter in our stance on adequate compensation for Kelly. I.e. a top 10 pick or GTFO.

I disagree re OB i think he will be bid well before that but i agree with your premise in general esp re Kelly. The fact that GC have pick 17 and 20s picks and would probably bid on BS means we won't trade him for any end of R1 from WCE. I would say unless they can get us a pick inside 11 we will say no deal.

Gee if we got a 2nd round pick but I doubt we will get it

If you not sure what I'm on about read the article I posted
I was shocked to read:

What this deal looks like remains to be seen. The Cats may demand a second-round selection for McCarthy, while Brisbane would surely prefer to offer a third-round selection.

I thought asking for pick 40 (their 3rd round) would be pushing it, but if that is on potentially on the table then we take it without blinking - seems to be a big win in our favour if that is how it goes down

I was shocked to read:

I thought asking for pick 40 (their 3rd round) would be pushing it, but if that is on potentially on the table then we take it without blinking - seems to be a big win in our favour if that is how it goes down

It's about time Geelong looked to get value from one of its players (unlike Vardy, bundy, kersten, Varcoe etc.).

Geelong rates McCarthy highly and weve tabled a multi year offer to him. Us cats fans have been accustomed to accepting sub par compensation from past trades. but it's sub-par, not the norm. It's not out of the realms that that's how Geelong rates him, he's always a lock best 22 player when fit. It's his fitness that's the issue, not the player he is.

Good on us for asking for Brisbane's R2, it's time to show them we are not a charity case anymore. Push for pick 22, but settle for 40.

I think there's a couple of reasons. One he was such an obvious selection having slid much further than predicted and two we had a much better side in 13 and 14 than we do now we were just a ruckman short. You can't remember Hale dominating Vardy and Blicavs in the 13 PF and HMac getting injured in the 14 QF and Goldstein wrecking us the next week, and not think we would have likely won the flag in one of those years with a quality fit ruck. Could Grundy have done that at 20? I don't know but it was a missed opportunity to find out as the rucks we had were average.

It's a but misleading to say we don't know if Grundy would've helped us back then because we know he was crap at Collingwood at that time. He obviously wouldn't have because like any 20 year old ruck he was among the worst in the comp. Of course having him now would be brilliant but if we'd picked him up we would've either accepted playing a poor ruck for a few years or having a talented kid sit in the vfl and potentially want to leave.

Given what we know now of course we wish we'd picked Grundy. But I still think given all the knowledge at that point it was the right choice. Given the history of talented 18 year old rucks and the ease with which you can get handy performers picking one in the top 25 is madness. Grundy is basically the one exception in a decade (NicNat borderline due to injuries).

It's about time Geelong looked to get value from one of its players (unlike Vardy, bundy, kersten, Varcoe etc.).

Geelong rates McCarthy highly and weve tabled a multi year offer to him. Us cats fans have been accustomed to accepting sub par compensation from past trades. but it's sub-par, not the norm. It's not out of the realms that that's how Geelong rates him, he's always a lock best 22 player when fit. It's his fitness that's the issue, not the player he is.

Good on us for asking for Brisbane's R2, it's time to show them we are not a charity case anymore. Push for pick 22, but settle for 40.

Prepare to be disappointed if you are expecting 40. Hes played 29 games in 7 years and is OOC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back