Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s no way our future first rounder should be on the table. It only takes a couple of things to go wrong next season and we could be in line for a pick around the #10 mark.

If we were to be able to trade our first pick next year for a pick in the top 11 I'd do it in a heartbeat. Aside from it giving you a year to put into a kid this draft is considered far better than next years. If we could walk away with a combination of Clark and Hately I'd take that.

If we were to be able to trade our first pick next year for a pick in the top 11 I'd do it in a heartbeat. Aside from it giving you a year to put into a kid this draft is considered far better than next years. If we could walk away with a combination of Clark and Hately I'd take that.

I wouldn’t. Two top 15 kids is better than one top 5-10 kid. It takes 22 players to make a good side not a handful of elites.

I wouldn’t. Two top 15 kids is better than one top 5-10 kid. It takes 22 players to make a good side not a handful of elites.
I'd rather have 9 and 12 this year than a top 10 pick next year, and that's considering we'll get a 1st rounder back when Kelly goes back to WA.

Hately, RCD or Williams would all be great inclusions to the list.
Williams is a better bet than Ben King imo.
I'm really high on Bailey Williams as you know Ratcat but I'd take Ben King ahead of him.

I'd take Williams ahead of Hately and I'm 50/50 between Williams and RCD.

I personally would take Williams ahead of every player (realistically) in our range.

Not so sure. It would mean we'd get one of the Kings or Bailey Smith or Caldwell. Class for the future.
Hawk finishes you have a King
Ablett finishes you have a class midfielder
Most of our team is young
Stewart Blicavs, Kolo, O'Connor, Henry in the backline
Parfitt, Cockatoo, Narkle, Menegola, (Kelly?), Fogarty, Constable in the middle
Ratagolea, Miers, Kruger, Fogarty, Dahlhaus in the forward line
Smith, Stanley

Clearly the forward line and the ruck are the weaknesses and if we get a King it would bolster both of these areas
The other question is around the middle and a Smith or a Caldwell would tidy up that area for the future too

But I am getting two top 15 kids.
I think he's implying that we'll use 12 and next years first to get higher up in this draft. I'd do that too If we got a pick in the 20's back this year as well.

Fanciful. We’re not getting two picks in return for two picks in the 40s, the other club has nothing to gain from that, they’d be losing draft points and moving down the order.

The only way we improve our draft position this year is by trading future picks.
Geelong trade 44 + 45 to Fremantle for 36 + 59.

After bids of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not so sure. It would mean we'd get one of the Kings or Bailey Smith or Caldwell. Class for the future.
Hawk finishes you have a King
Ablett finishes you have a class midfielder
Most of our team is young
Stewart Blicavs, Kolo, O'Connor, Henry in the backline
Parfitt, Cockatoo, Narkle, Menegola, (Kelly?), Fogarty, Constable in the middle
Ratagolea, Miers, Kruger, Fogarty, Dahlhaus in the forward line
Smith, Stanley

Clearly the forward line and the ruck are the weaknesses and if we get a King it would bolster both of these areas
The other question is around the middle and a Smith or a Caldwell would tidy up that area for the future too
I'm with you completely.

Of all the gems we've gotten later in the draft, I'd argue that only Parfitt is a clear cut blue chip prospect.

I think Henry is an elite third tall prospect and Nakia has limitless potential if he can get his body right.

We need prospects the caliber of B. King or B. Smith IMO.

The biggest reason to take a guy like RCD to me is because if he doesn't fulfil his potential, we basically have a 6'4 GHS.

If Williams doesn't fulfil his potential, we basically have Rhys Stanley again.

Those players could be useful even if they bust to a certain extent IMO.

If Jones, Butters, Clark, Sturt etc don't live up to expectation, they are basically the same as everyone we've delisted or traded out.

And they don't even have the upside of RCD or Williams in the first place.

I'm with you completely.

Of all the gems we've gotten later in the draft, I'd argue that only Parfitt is a clear cut blue chip prospect.

I think Henry is an elite third tall prospect and Nakia has limitless potential if he can get his body right.

The biggest reason to take a guy like RCD to me is because if he doesn't fulfil his potential, we basically have a 6'4 GHS.

If Jones, Butters, Clark, Sturt etc don't live up to expectation, they are basically the same as everyone we've delisted or traded out.

Could not agree with you more. As I previously said in an earlier post, I have no doubt that we will be the proactive in utilising the new pick trading rules to improve our draft hand (just like we were proactive with being the first to utilise the Carlton/GC priority state league access to obtain Krueger). Mark this down

Could not agree with you more. As I previously said in an earlier post, I have no doubt that we will be the proactive in utilising the new pick trading rules to improve our draft hand (just like we were proactive with being the first to utilise the Carlton/GC priority state league access to obtain Krueger). Mark this down
I'll try to find my Bailey Williams write up for you.

I know you like him.

I believe we may trade back our first or trade our 50/51 to move up, if not both.

I'm really high on Bailey Williams as you know Ratcat but I'd take Ben King ahead of him.

I'd take Williams ahead of Hately and I'm 50/50 between Williams and RCD.

I personally would take Williams ahead of every player (realistically) in our range.

I was talking about Williams weeks ago but came up against a wall of criticism.
I think he got the better of Ben King in the TAC finals and l reckon he jumps higher and runs better.
He has fantastic upside but Geelong don't usually pick high quality talls in the draft.
Pity that, but l decided to then push for a tall mid to complement Constable.
Hately to me still is the best performed player above his age and l think has huge upside along with RCD.
I would like to have either at least a tall mid.
I see Ely Smith is invited to the draft no surprise to me, if only we had another high pick.

I've wanted us to draft Bailey Williams or Riley Collier-Dawkins for a few months now and the closer we get to the draft I'm actually liking them more and more.

I've actually preferred RCD but I think I'm full on with Ratcat on the Bailey Williams or bust mantra.

I can understand why people would be in preference of other prospects but I can't understand people being completely against the idea of drafting him.

In terms of his talent, he's a big strong teenager with exponential room for growth in his physique as he matures on an AFL strength and conditioning program.

Unlike most big prospects, Williams already has great reflexes, agility, coordination, fluidity and explosiveness which is rare amongst established talls let alone draftees.

Despite his athletic gifts, Williams is a natural footballer who understands the game itself, which accentuates the athletic traits that he already possesses.

He will consistently follow up his own ruck work at ground level and while his explosiveness and agility enable this to happen, it is in fact his ability to read the congestion at stoppages that makes this ability stand out.

Similarly while his height, reach, strength and vertical would make any player a threat aerially, it is his ability to read the play, the ball in flight and the drop of the ball that makes him more of a threat than most players let alone prospects.

He makes good decisions further up the field and his field kicking can be perfectly weighted and both daring and creative.

I have read reports that credit Williams goalkicking based on his 7 goals against Dandenong but to me it is a concern.

Unlike most inconsistent goalkicking KPF prospects, it seems that there isn't a singular flaw in technique or psyche, that attributes to such a problem, that could be pointed out and corrected easily.

He kicks the ball well from the set shot but the results vary wildly.

Hopefully with time and practice his goalkicking will improve but to me at least, his lack of flaw in technique could actually lower his potential in this regard.

Also while his IQ allows him to read the play well to get to the right spots and his strength and athleticism allows him to impact the contest in the forward 50, his lack of goalsense is concerning, whereas a prospect like Max King is kicking goals in his sleep, Williams has shown with snaps and running shots that he is not exactly sure where the big sticks are.

I'd take him at 12 and develop him as a ruck/KPF.
petrolium

Think we’ll trade next years first for a couple of 2nds

I can see us being very aggressive.

Wouldn't be surprised if we trade 2 future picks - one used to upgrade pick 12 and one used to have a greater presence in this year's 2nd or 3rd rounds.

So that would leave us this year with:
- Upgrade on pick 12
- Pick in 20-30s
- Picks 50 and 51 (which will be mid-late 40s after bidding)
- Brownless

Sounds a lot better

I'm with you completely.

I dont understand the RCD/GHS comparisons,GHS hasnt bursted out of a stoppage in his life.

I was talking about Williams weeks ago but came up against a wall of criticism.
I think he got the better of Ben King in the TAC finals and l reckon he jumps higher and runs better.
He has fantastic upside but Geelong don't usually pick high quality talls in the draft.
Pity that, but l decided to then push for a tall mid to complement Constable.
Hately to me still is the best performed player above his age and l think has huge upside along with RCD.
I would like to have either at least a tall mid.
I see Ely Smith is invited to the draft no surprise to me, if only we had another high pick.
So was I Ratcat and I agreed with you then and I agree with you now.

Being in the minority does not mean that you are wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back