Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists PT 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of this chit chat on Worpel.

I wonder what we'd be saying if Geelong selected Worpel & Constable was taken by the Hawks. Constable goes on to win the B&F at the hawks.

As much as I like Worpel & Chook. There's no guarantee that Cat's would be getting the same level of performance from Worpel that he gave at the Hawks at this year.

Let's give it some time before we compare them & pass judgement on a couple of kids.

Thats all fair ... but....

Geelong has shown it has tendency to go for Falcons etc when the talent is comparable. Now we can debate that it was touch and go at draft..I liked Constanble ... but its hard to deny that Worpel was a stand out in the VicC... was not only a Falcon..he was Capt of the Falcons , and for what its worth.. come from a geelong family... Now down the track ... we have already had one set of Constable rumours set he may look to go back up to the area he was from in Melb.

Nothing is certain... I'd have thought if you were to err.. id have thought you would err on the worpel side.. No issue ...as long as Constable becomes a good player for us...

Then maybe that's why we didn't select him - the club had the chance to have a good look at him and decided that he wasn't worth one of our first 3 picks but maybe we would have taken him with a later pick had he still been available

Right. .. glad to know we didn't make a mistake!

Then maybe that's why we didn't select him - the club had the chance to have a good look at him and decided that he wasn't worth one of our first 3 picks but maybe we would have taken him with a later pick had he still been available
Worpel was touted as a pick around 40-50 and Constable was rated as high as 15 in some phantom drafts. We got Constable at 35 and Hawthorn took Worpel at 45, before our next pick (57 - Miers)

Worpel is pretty good but it has worked out ok for us with Miers. Constable will prove his worth next season.

Thats all fair ... but....

Geelong has shown it has tendency to go for Falcons etc when the talent is comparable. Now we can debate that it was touch and go at draft..I liked Constanble ... but its hard to deny that Worpel was a stand out in the VicC... was not only a Falcon..he was Capt of the Falcons , and for what its worth.. come from a geelong family... Now down the track ... we have already had one set of Constable rumours set he may look to go back up to the area he was from in Melb.

Nothing is certain... I'd have thought if you were to err.. id have thought you would err on the worpel side.. No issue ...as long as Constable becomes a good player for us...

I don't follow/research players leading into the draft each year & I only know about most of the players due to social media & bigfooty.

I can remember talk about both of Constable & Worpel hopefully being drafted by the club a couple of years ago.

Both were highly rated by a lot of people & they were both taken a lot later in that draft than expected from memory.

My 2c: we should forget Jack Steven, get our 2 first rounders for TK, and try and get Papley. We could use his goal scoring big time.
As far as I can tell we are trying to get as many picks under 35 in this draft as possible, which I like. Doesn't really matter what numbers they are, Wells never does the predictable thing anyway. We have quite a few 30 year olds, so a few blokes into their 3rd or 4th pre season by the time they all retire seems pretty important.

C'mon mate, why is everything so definitive with you? Constable has played less than 10 games and has shown good signs. Needs to build a tank but is only 20 years old. He could still be anything.
Its definitive for me but not definitive for the guy Im responding to who says he would win a best and fairest at hawthorn?

Didnt we have Fogarty first in the bag that draft?...over Worphel... that was a great choice!
Fogarty was rated infinitely higher than Worpel in that draft. We got him at 22 and he was around the 10-15 mark in most phantom drafts. He was an absoloute jet in the TAC cup and for Vic Metro. He had injury issues during his draft year and so only played a handful of games. Wells might have missed the mark but every other team would have drafted him ahead of Worpel at the time.

Didnt we have Fogarty first in the bag that draft?...over Worphel... that was a great choice!
Say we did draft Worpel - what would the opinion of him be if he spent most of this past season in the VFL due to lack of opportunities in the senior team?

I doubt he would have had the same impact at senior level to this stage had he been selected by us

Its definitive for me but not definitive for the guy Im responding to who says he would win a best and fairest at hawthorn?
Exactly, who is to say without the type of exposure Worpel has had that Constable wouldn't flourish the same way? Worpel was put into a team with 2 good midfielders, they asked a lot of him and he has delivered. Charlie hasn't quite delivered yet as he hasn't been asked to.

I don't follow/research players leading into the draft each year & I only know about most of the players due to social media & bigfooty.

I can remember talk about both of Constable & Worpel hopefully being drafted by the club a couple of years ago.

Both were highly rated by a lot of people & they were both taken a lot later in that draft than expected from memory.

Thats fair again.. I really like worpel bottom age.. top age he had a more reserved year... but as I said.. if we just looked at it as two rep players on a similar level..one a Geelong kid who capt the falcons ..one a melb metro kid... we built our flag era based around..if the talents were about equitable we go local.. as with Bartel , Ling etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you seriously comparing Constable to Sam Mitchell and Greg Williams...seriously :drunk:

Also the game is a lot quicker from when Williams and Ling were playing so yes it is important, the modern game is all about speed. The problem with Constable is he doesn't have a big tank whereas Ling was huge and could run all day.
Tom mitchell won a brownlow last year and he is just as slow. Priddis and sam mitchell also won brownlows in last decade whilst being super slow. You can still be slow if you are absolute top grade in other areas. Constable doesnt look like he will betop grade in other areas though. We will see but looking unlikely.

How much are the saints asking for? I havent been paying attention to that one.
I believe its been reported as a 2nd rounder but listening to Lethlean i think they want more than that, talking him up like he is a 21 year old brownlow winner. We wont give anything more than a 3rd i think.

I'd love to take a bet on that. I reckon he is $1.10 to be here. Both clubs in reality want and need it done so it will get done

Im not so sure we want him as bad as people think, Wells was pretty blunt in his interview and stated that its unlikely to happen as we are far too apart in terms of agreeing on a value, we wont give up anything more than a 3rd for him plus his salary is likely to be 800k which is a big issue.

Say we did draft Worpel - what would the opinion of him be if he spent most of this past season in the VFL due to lack of opportunities in the senior team?

I doubt he would have had the same impact at senior level to this stage had he been selected by us

So Hawthorn's best not good enough for the Cats. WOW! We must be awesome.

So Hawthorn's best not good enough for the Cats. WOW! We must be awesome.
Glad that's your takeaway from the post - shows you completely missed the point

Would Worpel have won our B&F this year if we drafed him instead of Constable then ?.

The majority of players drafted don't go to the club they supported growing up.

No... not at all.

Wells and every club make choices.. its not often that its a choice thats as clear as this one.. Again.. I like Constable ..and hope he does well.. I wish we had of had another pick to grab worpel as he certainly would not have to be one or the other. As we didnt then it becomes a comparison. If we like players who play well in big games..like Miers did in his GF.. in the same game Constable kicked a couple on one leg..and all bar poor shot at goal at the end of the game from another player won the game for his side. think Constable played better in that game than Worpel.

Thats fair again.. I really like worpel bottom age.. top age he had a more reserved year... but as I said.. if we just looked at it as two rep players on a similar level..one a Geelong kid who capt the falcons ..one a melb metro kid... we built our flag era based around..if the talents were about equitable we go local.. as with Bartel , Ling etc.

Any good local talent that may be available with our picks this coming draft ?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back