Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists PT 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The concern for me about trading with Melbourne is that the Suns are also apparently keen to turn 15 and 20 into another top 10 pick. For us to outbid them, we would have to offer 14 and 17.

I would do 14 or 17 and 24 but not 14 and 17.

It is alarming how little recruiters seem to value picks outside the top ten in this years crop... And we happen to have two of them in an awkward spot.

I think what knightmare said in his draft thread is quite accurate.. That there is going to be a few players who dont make it from this crops first round in particular.

I wouldnt be shocked to see us go outside of what others perceive the conventional selection at our picks and possibly someone others rate a bit later on in the 20’s or 30’s given how weak it seems to be after the top ten.

Whenever you hear ” even draft” it is just pleasantries and a nice way of saying ” weak draft”. Which is exactly what this one is touted as

McAsey or Worrell and C Stephens.

I know what I would prefer.

Mcasey for me.

I also prefer serong/d stephens/robertson/jackson/ash etc at 8 over bergman/worrell/c stephens/day/bianco etc at 14 for me theres a clear talent gap there after 12ish.

The academy picks are off the board. I don't know why ppl get some bent up about them. We will still get the 15th best live player in a worst case scenario. Maybe higher if some picks evaporate in front of us now that AFL has tightened the rules. Nothing I saw from WCE this year without inj and now without Willie and Kennedy getting on suggest guaranteed top 4 to me. Even with TK.

Also academy picks get 25% more mayo on them every single year as ppl want them to be guns. Every year I hear that Blakey is going top 3. Rylie West is top 10. Henry is going top 10. The Haw kid will be top 15. Lets see in reality where they end up. I distinctly remember a year out from last year's super draft the same thing. 6 of the top 15 would be academy selections/F/S. In 2016 from memory 25% of the top 20 were academy picks. Didn't hear any complaining then. I'm not saying you are wrong I just don't understand (other than the fact its draft time) how Pick 14 and a floating 1st rounder of a team that will net btw 12-16 is now suddenly worth 8!!! I mean trade those picks for the next Dylan Shiel. Not some kid in an even draft that lacks the overall quality of previous drafts.

If we exclude players that have alignments ..yes you are correct 15th live etc. Its like when we had Hawkins as a FSon.. he was not really an option for other clubs.. but I feel the more academy players in system then it affects the quality of the available players ( FSon is less of a problem as its infrequent and not as controllable). Hawkins place was deserved in the champs ..obviously but then another selctable kid didnt get a chance to play for VicM

Lets take next year when 17 of the top 44 u17's were alighned ... then 17 kids not picked are hidden perhaps do not get a chance to elevate etc in the next level. Lets say Rowell and and Anderson were tied this year. Anderson was close to being FSon anyway. No club will avoid playing them ..obviously talented .. so the concept has some drawbacks ..

I agree on the mayo but it does tend to happen for all the top end players... go back 6 months .. some of these predicted top10 top15 kids for this year ..were hardly hot must haves... now ..the talent seems so good , its seems critical in some peoples eyes that we must get into the picks for these kids etc... as far as where they are picked like West or Blakey etc... the pick number is not a true reflection of their talent. Its rare that clubs do not let them slide. Syd may not let Green slide this year but it would not surprise historically that they would. Especially clus with their own academy prospects.. they fear a return of serve .. a bid on their talent etc.

It is alarming how little recruiters seem to value picks outside the top ten in this years crop... And we happen to have two of them in an awkward spot.

I think what knightmare said in his draft thread is quite accurate.. That there is going to be a few players who dont make it from this crops first round in particular.

I wouldnt be shocked to see us go outside of what others perceive the conventional selection at our picks and possibly someone others rate a bit later on in the 20’s or 30’s given how weak it seems to be after the top ten.

Whenever you hear ” even draft” it is just pleasantries and a nice way of saying ” weak draft”. Which is exactly what this one is touted as

That happens nearly every year. Knightmare has a neg vibe on this year. Go back and have a look at great drafts in 99 and 01. Before we picked Joel Corey... Coll picked Danny Roach (1 game) .. 1 pick after Bartel in 01 ..Melb picked Luke Molan... And they were great drafts.

Mcasey for me.

I also prefer serong/d stephens/robertson/jackson/ash etc at 8 over bergman/worrell/c stephens/day/bianco etc at 14 for me theres a clear talent gap there after 12ish.
Gone off Bianco. His contested possession ratio was unbelievably low for a TAC cup player. He played in a red hot team and got a lot of “cheap” kicks. I’ve never been more of the view that the modern game dictates that contested ball players that kick (like Danger as opposed to Cripps who’s a handballer) will have below ave disposal efficiency but are of absolutely no lesser value. At Bianco’s height I’m not sure that a game style built around that playing through the midfield will succeed. Best you could hope for would be a Laird like player who rebounds. I think he will slide well into the 20s

Gone off Bianco. His contested possession ratio was unbelievably low for a TAC cup player. He played in a red hot team and got a lot of “cheap” kicks. I’ve never been more of the view that the modern game dictates that contested ball players that kick (like Danger as opposed to Cripps who’s a handballer) will have below ave disposal efficiency but are of absolutely no lesser value. At Bianco’s height I’m not sure that a game style built around that playing through the midfield will succeed. Best you could hope for would be a Laird like player who rebounds. I think he will slide well into the 20s

Agree...hes a good player but the fact that hes being spoken of as an early pick shows this draft lacks depth.

Literally could not disagree more. Imagine trading pick 14 and 14 for 8! I’m really confident in Wells and don’t mind whoever we pick but I’d be staggered if we walked into that trap.

Some drafts its a trap some its a clear win. Did you think Port trading multiple picks for Rozee was a bad idea? Its all about rating the talent dropoff and picking the right draft to do it in.

Best thing about trading up under the current system is that you can do it on draft night. It'd be disastrous to move into the top ten now only for the bloke Wells has his eye on to be snapped up before our pick. At least now we can trade when the actual draft is on, meaning if the kid/s Wells is hoping to move up for are gone by 8 for example, we can hold our picks.

That's exactly what I was about to write, maybe even start low by offering 17 + WC 1st then move up to 14 + WC 1st if we had to.

Yeah id move 14 and a Fr1 or 24 for 6/8 if aclub will take that and keep 17 for a slider if possible.

Best thing about trading up under the current system is that you can do it on draft night. It'd be disastrous to move into the top ten now only for the bloke Wells has his eye on to be snapped up before our pick. At least now we can trade when the actual draft is on, meaning if the kid/s Wells is hoping to move up for are gone by 8 for example, we can hold our picks.

Agree...i think they will do it in the 5mins btw picks only if our target player (flanders jackson robertson whoever) is there at that pick and we think they will be gone between then and 14.

Literally could not disagree more. Imagine trading pick 14 and 14 for 8! I’m really confident in Wells and don’t mind whoever we pick but I’d be staggered if we walked into that trap.

Wces FR1 will be later than 14 next year prob in the 20s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those that follow Cal know he gets very very firm for key defenders or talls in general.
He makes a lot of phone calls no doubt and I think he does have his finger on the pulse as he has been very good with most clubs. However he has always struggled with us to get "good mail". These have been his attempts at nailing our first pick

2012 Phantom #16 - Taylor Garner. In the mix Jake Stringer/Mason Wood/Jesse Lonegan. Pick Jackson Thurlow
2013 Phantom #16- Zac Jones. In the mix Blake Acres/Darcy Gardnier. Pick Darcy Lang
2014 Phantom #10 - Sam Durdin. In the mix Jake Lever/Peter Wright. Pick Nakia Cockatoo
2015 Phantom #65 - No pick but mentioned Will Snelling/ Brayden Hackett/ Jesse Glass McCasker/Jack Firns
2016 Phantom #24 - Josh Battle. In the mix Jordan Ridley/Cedrix Cox/Pat Kerr. Pick Brandan Parfitt
2017 Phantom #22 - Sam Taylor. In the mix Tom McCartin, Liam Ryan/Matt Ling. Pick Lachie Fogerty
2017 Phantom #24 - Brent Daniels. In the mix Tim Kelly/Charlie Constable. Pick Tim Kelly
2018 Phantom #14 - Chayce Jones. In the mix Collier Dawkins/ Jackson Hately/Jordan Clark. Pick Jordan Clark

Takeouts. Hasn't had a hit yet. 50% of the time he goes for the tall for us as a need. In reality we haven't picked a tall first for a decade and it hasn't hurt us one bit really. Maybe outside of a ruckman who I'd argue haven't been around in the 1st rd anyway. We just don't pick them full stop. Id be surprised if Cal has "got wind" of McAsey being this trade up target.

He has got better in 17/18 identifying players in the mix for us it must be said

I do follow Cal and what I find baffling is how poorly he assesses our list needs. His talk around who we’ll pick this year has been defenders.

I get the impression he gets his mail from the draftees, not from the clubs themselves. He always seems to know which clubs have talked to which players, but doesn’t ever seem to have a firm grasp on what the clubs are looking for.

Not sure I’m buying into the McAsey speculation. I’d prefer a couple of others (ie D.Stephens) but wouldn’t melt if we did get him

I’m warming to McAsey. I see the Naughton similarities, he seems to have a good head on his shoulders and he won the Vic Metro MVP ahead of Rowell and Anderson. I wouldn’t be upset if we selected him.

I’m starting to think we are all filling in time waiting for the draft talking about trading up. I know Wells said he’d look at it but consistently when drafts are reassessed there are not a significant amount of top 10 picks in the top 10 actual players a few years later. Brad Johnson just had 2 in the 2015 draft. So I would really be reluctant to cut down our current 4 to 3 Unless the exact player we think is our number one need is there.

I’m starting to think we are all filling in time waiting for the draft talking about trading up. I know Wells said he’d look at it but consistently when drafts are reassessed there are not a significant amount of top 10 picks in the top 10 actual players a few years later. Brad Johnson just had 2 in the 2015 draft. So I would really be reluctant to cut down our current 4 to 3 Unless the exact player we think is our number one need is there.

Agree completely. We might miss out on Brodie Kemp but still get someone like Deven Robertson. There’ll be talent on the board at 14 and 17 still, not need to give up an extra pick to move up six spots in the order.

I do follow Cal and what I find baffling is how poorly he assesses our list needs. His talk around who we’ll pick this year has been defenders.

I get the impression he gets his mail from the draftees, not from the clubs themselves. He always seems to know which clubs have talked to which players, but doesn’t ever seem to have a firm grasp on what the clubs are looking for.
That's possible, he isn't a Cats supporter but I have seen posters here agitating for a defender.

I've fallen into the trap of choosing the best player and not the right 1 to fit needs b4, for any club, not just the 1 I barrack for.

That Bergman looks quite electric... "almost Peter Knights like", to quote a famous coach. :D
He doesn't have the stats of DeGoey as a comparison in his draft year. But is he just that, a poor-man's DeGoey, or does he have the upside like him. You'd have to consider him with one our picks, but it all depends if they want another player type - midfielder or key position earlier, and then see who slides to 24 or 36, eg taheny, georgiades, etc etc

For all the concern about Rantall's kicking, yeah his ball drop is similar to L Fogarty, but I think Rantall may have better depth in his kicking, but its hard to say.

That Bergman looks quite electric... "almost Peter Knights like", to quote a famous coach. :D
He doesn't have the stats of DeGoey as a comparison in his draft year. But is he just that, a poor-man's DeGoey, or does he have the upside like him. You'd have to consider him with one our picks, but it all depends if they want another player type - midfielder or key position earlier, and then see who slides to 24 or 36, eg taheny, georgiades, etc etc

For all the concern about Rantall's kicking, yeah his ball drop is similar to L Fogarty, but I think Rantall may have better depth in his kicking, but its hard to say.

He is one of the few players with some vid on the afl prospects site .. I like him ..overhead strong , kicking action looks good. His down side is he need to get more of it... but we can work on that . Tick for me.

Like Rantall but did see mature ager Ben Sokol won the WA Combine yoyo test with a 21.8+ the equivalent of anything recorded this year.
The result for 2nd place was 21.8 but the article didn't disclose Sokol's actual number, something above that obviously.
I would be tempted to pick Rantall at 24 definitely at 36 if available there but if we wanted a mature ager Sokol's ready to plug.

Agree completely. We might miss out on Brodie Kemp but still get someone like Deven Robertson. There’ll be talent on the board at 14 and 17 still, not need to give up an extra pick to move up six spots in the order.

Robertson is not likely to get through to 14 but i take your point.

Electric or Eclectic.? He is a bit bigger than De Goey but if you are comparing him (Bergman) there, I want him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back