Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists PT 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess this answered my question today... No Rookies have been Retained or Promoted at this stage by the Club.

GEELONG CATS

Draft picks post-trade period:
14, 17, 24, 36, 93

Who has left: Jordan Cunico (delisted), Jamaine Jones (delisted), Scott Selwood (delisted), Tim Kelly (West Coast Eagles), Zac Smith (Gold Coast Suns), Wylie Buzza (delisted)

Who has arrived: Jack Steven (St Kilda), Josh Jenkins (Adelaide Crows)

Promoted rookies: tbc

Retained rookies: tbc

The Wells philosophy in those days was to pick the best available - even if I meant taking a punt on a selection that had slid due to injury in the immediate TAC season. (Landed us a beauty with Joel and a very, very good player in Trav). Was also okay with recruiting a very skinny framed player (again, worked well with Mackie).

Hindsight is always an easy thing, but the selection above were the exceptions. I really think Lang never fully recovered from horrifically bad leg break and Nakia missed all but one game due at knee injury. Brown was very, very skinny for a young key forward or defender this usually means a season or two longer for development. They are also at higher risk. By memory Mitch suffered a dislocated shoulder nearly immediately then of course a horrific break. Even Smedts (albeit not a key position player) struggled in part due to the big gap on strength.

I think you have to be both strategic and tactical with your top picks - meaning you know they are likely for the long term but you also have to see that they are going to have good first years, which means no chronic injuries and no years behind on strength. Take the punt on later picks but not your top.

(I also think that the top pick has to have multiple attributes - Mitch really has only two - well timed, good leads and a very straight long kick. He has a great tank now, but these days that and two attributes is not enough to guarantee a long career).

I think it should be a very rare player that we overlook injury history for. Joel Selwood at the time of draft was that sort of exception. Touted by many as the best player in the draft and slide to seven off the back of his knee injury. But that is an extremely rare example of when I think we should be okay with that. We've taken that risk far too many times be it Varcoe, Thurlow, Smedts, Cockatoo or Lang.

I'd rather Street back than Fort any day of the week :think:
Rod Blake
Peter Street
Darcy Fort
In that order for Geelong's beanpoles

But top 10's are different altogether, which is why we should trade up

Rod Blake is a really good example of the risks and benefits of a taking a talented beanpole - he was a very good player with some outstanding games (saw him mark everything and kick six goals at Moorabbin one game) in the last few years of his career but before that would rarely break out of double figures in possessions and like his son was little more than a centre bounce ruck. Geelong was lucky that Sam Newman was such a great ruck in the 70s so they could persist with developing Rod.

Last edited:
I think it should be a very rare player that we overlook injury history for. Joel Selwood at the time of draft was that sort of exception. Touted by many as the best player in the draft and slide to seven off the back of his knee injury. But that is an extremely rare example of when I think we should be okay with that. We've taken that risk far too many times be it Varcoe, Thurlow, Smedts, Cockatoo or Lang.
Kemp to come

I guess this answered my question today... No Rookies have been Retained or Promoted at this stage by the Club.

GEELONG CATS

Draft picks post-trade period:
14, 17, 24, 36, 93

Who has left: Jordan Cunico (delisted), Jamaine Jones (delisted), Scott Selwood (delisted), Tim Kelly (West Coast Eagles), Zac Smith (Gold Coast Suns), Wylie Buzza (delisted)

Who has arrived: Jack Steven (St Kilda), Josh Jenkins (Adelaide Crows)

Promoted rookies: tbc

Retained rookies: tbc

I’d assume from that we are still establishing our ability to trade up to a higher pick this draft thereby reducing the number of picks we take from 4 to 3. If we are unable to trade up then both rookies will go.

How many rookies can you have on a list?
How many senior players can you have?

Sorry for the dumb question

3 and 38 to 40
Already have Simpson, Zach Guthrie and Atkins on rookie list
Atkins will stay, the other two are dependent on how many picks we use in the draft, as is Henderson

Last edited:

Category B rookies - maximum of 3

Senior/Main list - between 38 & 40

Category A rookies (now redundant based on selection eligibility rules) - no minimum, but a maximum of 4 to 6 depending on senior list size

Between the senior list & category A rookie list a team can have a maximum of 44 players. If a team wishes to run with 44 players the breakdown is,

Senior/rookie list:
38/6
39/5
40/4

But, a team may choose to go with 42 or 43 players on their list, with a max of 38/39 on the senior list - gives the option of elevating a Cat B rookie, preseason supplement selection or a selection in the mid-season draft without needing a long term injury.

3 and 38 to 40
Already have Simpson, Zach Guthrie and Atkins on rookie list
Atkins will stay, the other two are dependent on how many picks we use in the draft, as is Henderson
Don't have high hopes for Simpson & Zuthrie.
Hopefully we delist both

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Category A rookies (now redundant based on selection eligibility rules) - no minimum, but a maximum of 4 to 6 depending on senior list size

Between the senior list & category A rookie list a team can have a maximum of 44 players. If a team wishes to run with 44 players the breakdown is,

Senior/rookie list:
38/6
39/5
40/4

But, a team may choose to go with 42 or 43 players on their list - gives the option of elevating a Cat B rookie, preseason supplement selection or a selection in the mid-season draft without needing a long term injury.
Thanks for the explanation.
I think we'll run full for next year and have a massive cull at the end of the season

I'd rather Street back than Fort any day of the week :think:
Rod Blake
Peter Street
Darcy Fort
In that order for Geelong's beanpoles

But top 10's are different altogether, which is why we should trade up
Vdubs will be beside himself with joy over your Blakey comment. And Peter Street was one of the Doggies greats.:)

3Ej0Xv1.jpg

Don't have high hopes for Simpson & Zuthrie.
Hopefully we delist both
I think Z.Guthrie's time is up and I also think they will delist Henderson. The fair thing would have been to do it some time back to let other sides know of his availability. North Melbourne could do with a Scott Thompson replacement for example.
I'd give Simpson another run at senior footy. He's done the work to improve his intensity and possession gathering.

Rod Blake is a really good example of the risks and benefits of a taking a talented beanpole - he was a very good player with some outstanding games (saw him mark everything and kick six goals at Moorabbin one game) in the last few years of his career but before that would rarely break out of double figures in possessions and like his son was little more than a centre bounce ruck. Geelong was lucky that Sam Newman was such a great ruck in the 70s so they could persist with developing Rod.

Blakey ( Rod ) had basically one outstanding year with the Cats - 1980 - from memory he won the Best and Fairest - pretty good effort doing that - because Geel were minor premiers that year ( winning the b/f when your way down the ladder isnt as good in my opinion) . In 81 he was pretty good as well

However in 82 he lost all form - and was in the 2nds at times - i can remember a game out at Carlton - last qtr of the 2nds - Blakey has kicked a ball ( outer side ) way out on the full by about 30 metres !!- and a group of old time Blues supporters roared out - thats why your in the 2nds Blakey - much to the humour of the crowd

Senior/rookie list:
38/6
39/5
40/4

But, a team may choose to go with 42 or 43 players on their list, with a max of 38/39 on the senior list - gives the option of elevating a Cat B rookie, preseason supplement selection or a selection in the mid-season draft without needing a long term injury.
Thanks for the correction on the rookies. Had no idea you could have up to six of them

Blakey ( Rod ) had basically one outstanding year with the Cats - 1980 - from memory he won the Best and Fairest - pretty good effort doing that - because Geel were minor premiers that year ( winning the b/f when your way down the ladder isnt as good in my opinion) . In 81 he was pretty good as well

However in 82 he lost all form - and was in the 2nds at times - i can remember a game out at Carlton - last qtr of the 2nds - Blakey has kicked a ball ( outer side ) way out on the full by about 30 metres !!- and a group of old time Blues supporters roared out - thats why your in the 2nds Blakey - much to the humour of the crowd
Good summation. While Blake was good though, he was extra good

Knightmare did his phantom draft and had us picking up deven robertson josh worrel and dylan williams.

I would be happy with that. Robertson will be a star

Lots of potential with Robertson.. potential to play from early on, potential gun mid , potential captain and the potential to have west coast all over us again for another player..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back