Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists PT 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s true. There aren’t too many that scream out as real elite but that’s not necessarily a great indicator of future success at this stage of their careers. I’m still tipping we will trade up on draft night so speculation as to who we may take at 14 may be moot.

If we do though it really is so even between 3 and 12 that anything could happen. Reckon Freo won’t let Robertson out of their reaches. McAsey could fall and I’d grab him happily. Jackson I really have no idea on where he goes.

Doubt Williams gets to 36. He may not even get to 24. Pickett I do like.

I do think we will trade up it just depends how far.

Robertson is a weird one he is the best credentialled local but he doesnt suit freo on a needs basis as well as some others.
Id be prepared to take the risk on kemp.
Jackson is hard to predict as rucks are.
Williams has had a bad year but has more talent than that. His range is hard to predict.
I like the way Pickett plays and i think he suits us.

Larry .. the likelyhood of drafting someone that replaces Stanley in 2020 is unlikely imo... the overall goal should hopeully to add a player who will be good to go in a year or two. If we dont draft in the national... Id expect us to draft in the rookie. To not replace Smith going out at all would be borderline reckless .. considering the age of Stanley and Abbott and the unproven status of Fort. Id be happy to add whoever the club rates whether its Bryan or a Goddard or some variation of those two that is a young ruck.
Sure, understand the concern. I would be happy to get a Bryan as a rookie, but Stanley, Ratagolea, Jenkins and Abbott should get it done in the short term. I think people forget just how well Abbott played for us. Personally I think he is a similar type to Nankervis

If we landed McAsey or Worrell, would you then delist Henderson and Rookie him if nothing better?

Which would mean delisting him on the 28th.
Just before the Rookie Draft.
Think we'd need to delist him before then so that we have the list space before the ND

Well, how badly have Geelong handled the ruck situation. I don't want them fudging with it again. If he can't play now, I don't want them to take Stanley out of the team.
Rather we persist with him until we get a real ruck option

Very few rucks are ready to play in year 1 we just need a succession plan for our older rucks and he is one of the best u18 rucks in years. If you dont think you can draft a better one next year we should grab him now.

Think we'd need to delist him before then so that we have the list space before the ND

You cant take the picks into the draft if you havent cleared the list spots prior. So you have to do delistings prior to the draft.

If we landed McAsey or Worrell, would you then delist Henderson and Rookie him if nothing better?

Which would mean delisting him on the 28th.
Just before the Rookie Draft.
I reckon CatRiot, that we should delist Henderson now so he can find another club with a 2 year deal while he can
We need to start afresh. Pay attention to Grigg and the player types at Richmond. We need hunters. A lambert type I'd love. Maybe that is C.Stephens??

Sure, understand the concern. I would be happy to get a Bryan as a rookie, but Stanley, Ratagolea, Jenkins and Abbott should get it done in the short term. I think people forget just how well Abbott played for us. Personally I think he is a similar type to Nankervis
Bryan will be drafted ..he will not be a Rookie. If Melb do draft Jackson.. Id be studying thei list fro the next 12 months .. Bradtke would seem to be worth a shot .. we were interested before him choosing Melb.

All our future eggs are in the Sav basket atm. Stanley is a known commodity. At worst he gives us another couple of years of what we have had the last couple of years..

Very few rucks are ready to play in year 1 we just need a succession plan for our older rucks and he is one of the best u18 rucks in years. If you dont think you can draft a better one next year we should grab him now.
If we draft up it is our only chance. I have a gut feel that Wells will simply go in with what we have. Freo will pick him before us I believe and even Bulldogs, Hawthorn, Melbourne or Port could go too.
If we get Jackson I'm all for him, but I don't think we will unless the up draft is successful. A lot of competition for it it seems.

and how can you guarantee that ... unless its an academy / Fs situation ... Walsh look good but really we have no control over access to him

Bryan will be drafted ..he will not be a Rookie. If Melb do draft Jackson.. Id be studying thei list fro the next 12 months .. Bradtke would seem to be worth a shot .. we were interested before him choosing Melb.

All our future eggs are in the Sav basket atm. Stanley is a known commodity. At worst he gives us another couple of years of what we have had the last couple of years..
Who knows with Rucks whether he will be drafted. It's a bit unknown.
I want to see us get the best available at the minute. Here's our chance finally to stock up on the best future prospects. We only have 4 picks max. Jackson is the only one I believe that fits into our pick range.

and how can you guarantee that ... unless its an academy / Fs situation ... Walsh look good but really we have no control over access to him

Agree...i think we will trade up 14 on the night but if we retain it and Jackson is there..take him imo.

If we draft up it is our only chance. I have a gut feel that Wells will simply go in with what we have. Freo will pick him before us I believe and even Bulldogs, Hawthorn, Melbourne or Port could go too.
If we get Jackson I'm all for him, but I don't think we will unless the up draft is successful. A lot of competition for it it seems.

Bulldogs have English and Port Lycett and Ladhams and Hayes they dont need him..melb i doubt but hawthorn might. Rucks can slide so heres hoping he gets to us.

I reckon CatRiot, that we should delist Henderson now so he can find another club with a 2 year deal while he can
We need to start afresh. Pay attention to Grigg and the player types at Richmond. We need hunters. A lambert type I'd love. Maybe that is C.Stephens??
Agreed.
Although, I reckon they will keep Henderson.
They must be really scratching their heads right now as to who gets delisted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed.

Has to be hendo sadly imo.

Agreed.
If they do it around age and lack of talent shown it shouldn't be that hard I would have thought. Only thing is they gave longer term deals when they shouldn't have.
Parsons, Z.Guthrie, should already be gone in my view
Guthrie is a defender with no body mass. Just gets thrown around against the better teams
Parsons has had several shots at it and still not quite there
I'd pay those two out and delist Henderson and I think that gives us the space for 4 picks
Simpson really hasn't been played in position in the AFL yet and should be afforded that opportunity.

Appreciate the concern with the injury front, but it depends who is available. He is a top 5 without the injury, as Joel was

Yes - but so was Nakia. Whilst Varcoe (likewise touted as top 5) did eventually become a consistently good player, he was hampered for years by chronic foot problems from youth meaning he was pretty limited (ie playing more like a 20-50 rather than a top 5). Lang likewise was apparently very promising before a horrible leg break, although probably not top 5.
I’d rather aim for a robust, good to very good player rather than a possible star that may struggle to regain speed or even get on the park -would be a horrible Kelly trade outcome if this is the case.
If Kemp slides to 17, then maybe but wouldn’t risk the top pick.

I just realised that W Gould was also an U18 All Australian in 2018.

J Sharp and W Gould. Surely we are looking at both.

He's a gun Gould, still went to the combine at 106kg lol!...to much partying after the big Grand Final win, Glenelg's first flag for 33years so any wonder.
I wouldn't be to worried about anything he put up cos his footy does the talking. Will drop 10 kg pretty quick pre season and be cherry for round 1.
Yes Gould and Sharp U18 All Australians two years running why wouldn't you want both, would be phenomenal draft

Yes - but so was Nakia. Whilst Varcoe (likewise touted as top 5) did eventually become a consistently good player, he was hampered for years by chronic foot problems from youth meaning he was pretty limited (ie playing more like a 20-50 rather than a top 5). Lang likewise was apparently very promising before a horrible leg break, although probably not top 5.
I’d rather aim for a robust, good to very good player rather than a possible star that may struggle to regain speed or even get on the park -would be a horrible Kelly trade outcome if this is the case.
If Kemp slides to 17, then maybe but wouldn’t risk the top pick.
Who are your 4?

He's a gun Gould, still went to the combine at 106kg lol!...to much partying after the big Grand Final win, Glenelg's first flag for 33years so any wonder.
I wouldn't be to worried about anything he put up cos his footy does the talking. Will drop 10 kg pretty quick pre season and be cherry for round 1.
Yes Gould and Sharp U18 All Australians two years running why wouldn't you want both, would be phenomenal draft
I wouldn't mind Gould. He is like a defenders version of DeGoey ;)
I just think with our current list, with Okunbor, O'Connor, Henry and even Stewart all around that 190cm mark, I just don't think Wellsy will go for him.
If they can get Okunbor to progress like O'Connor, he probably could be a similar style of player to Gould. But that is a Massive IF.
The thing with Gould is he is a natural footballer, and you just can't teach that...

I wouldn't mind Gould. He is like a defenders version of DeGoey ;)
I just think with our current list, with Okunbor, O'Connor, Henry and even Stewart all around that 190cm mark, I just don't think Wellsy will go for him.
If they can get Okunbor to progress like O'Connor, he probably could be a similar style of player to Gould. But that is a Massive IF.
The thing with Gould is he is a natural footballer, and you just can't teach that...

Gould’s 192cm and possibly still growing, but not just that, he's one big powerful unit who can monster taller players as he did in the SANFL this year.
A Completely different typ to OConnor or Stewart, but l think he'd complement their styles rather than more of the same.
A Booming 60 mt kick and high speed runner would add a different dimension and hard edge.
Will be a prime mover wherever he goes, hope Wells cuts through the crap and picks him, would be great for Geelong as would Sharp with P24.
Gee we've chosen some duds over the years but Gould is a no brainer winner if ever there was.

Last edited:
Imagine hauling 4 AA's - L Jackson, W Gould, J Sharp, S De Koning?

Very possible with those picks we have. 14, 17, 24, 36.

History shows us that half of the U-18 AA Squad end up being spuds.
In saying that i'll take Will Gould in a heartbeat...

I do agree on the midfielder issue i think its why im willing to trade up as our biggest needs are an elite mid or jackson and only the latter is any chance to get to 14.
I still think we cantrade up...i think picks 3 and 4 are gettable if we canoffer theright deal so long as adel dont take flanders..syd will bid on green..who they then pick i dont know we'd be hoping they take serong or young not flanders or robertson.
I think gws were hoping syd would trade 5 for daniher if they cant get 3/4 they may flip 6 to us to say 14 and wcesfuture 1st or 17 36 and a future as 6 will go ongreen anyway.

I think freo surely have to take stephens or ash at 7 giventhey have lost both their wingers. But robertson at 10 is possible. Our other hope is if melb bid 8 on henry...get on the phone and offer freo 17 and 24 or 36 for 10 (as they would lose10they will trade it for points) and take whichever of robertson jackson or kemp gets past carlton.

If we cant trade up for one of them. I wouldn't mind us going a different direction and picking up cody Weightman with our first pick and then go cooper stephens with pick 17.

I’d love Flanders but we’d have to likely trade up high. Like the other two as well. Jackson prob the one most likely to drop to 14 if we don’t trade up.

With regard to Young, agree defenders aren’t a massive priority but just on class he gets in. You’d find a spot for him or play Clark on the wing. Just think you can’t ignore class if he was available.

That whole top 10-12 I’d be happy to take. Any of them. They’d all find a spot in our side over time.

I disagree with defenders aren't a big priority ... Our tall defenders are old and we need to draft some now, especially because they take a while to develop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back