Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists PT 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ummm...now you got me wondering, ok who?
Now we're talking enforcer type referring to Gould.
I think he's referencing Cockatoo

I'd be interested to know how different people define what an enforcer is or what type of player an enforcer is - because the idea that a Cockatoo is the only "enforcer" on our list, seems to be selling other guys short or even over playing what we have actually seen from Cockatoo

He’s very good and as we’ve said here before would be an ideal Selwood replacement. Freo would have to look at him with their first you’d think but if he gets past them and we’ve traded up then we can get him. Whether Wells rates him as high is another point. Would bring much needed leadership skills to our younger group too.

WA club looks at local talent ... do we take him now ...narh he will be there with our next pick ...

What are we going to do with a shocking forward line like
Dahlhaus Hawkins Cockatoo
Rohan Ratagolea Jenkins

Might have to put Ratagolea in a ruck roving mantle to fit Ablett in

This is my prediction for the first couple of rounds:

1. GCFC - Matt Rowell
2. GCFC - Noah Anderson
3. GWS - Tom Green (match bid)
4. MELB - Luke Jackson
5. SYD - Sam Flanders
6. ADEL - Dylan Stephens
7. FRE - Hayden Young
8. GEEL - Deven Robertson (pick received from MEL)
9. CARL - Lachie Ash
10. FRE - Caleb Serong
11. HAW - Brodie Kemp
12. PORT - Fischer McAsey
13. FRE - Liam Henry (match bid)
14. WB - Kysaiah Pickett
15. MELB - Cody Weightman (pick received from GEEL)
16. GCFC - Will Gould
17. PORT - Will Day
18. GEEL - Trent Rivers
19. HAW - Finn Maginness
20. PORT - Josh Worrell
21. RICH - Miles Bergman
22. GCFC - Ryan Byrnes
23. BL - Trent Bianco
24. ADEL - Sam De Koning
25. MELB - Jeremy Sharp (pick received from GEEL)
26. PORT - Jackson Mead (match bid)
27. SYD - Dylan Williams
28. NMFC - Cooper Stephens
29. NMFC - Jay Rantall
30. ADEL - Harry Schoenberg
31. BL - Cameron Taheny
32. NMFC - Harrison Jones
33. ESS - Elijah Taylor
34. SYD - Hugo Ralphsmith
35. ESS - Charlie Comben
36. BL - Thomson Dow
37. COLL - Brock Smith
38. GEEL - Mitch O'Neill

Is Deven Robertson going to be a flight risk?

That's my concern. I don't really even know why. Maybe the whole Darren Glass's nephew thing. WC will come hard at some point if he shows a bit in the first couple of years. But really, I'm not aware of anything concrete that would indicate he's a flight risk. We have rarely lost players over the years to the go home factor, so that works in our favour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's my concern. I don't really even know why. Maybe the whole Darren Glass's nephew thing. WC will come hard at some point if he shows a bit in the first couple of years. But really, I'm not aware of anything concrete that would indicate he's a flight risk. We have rarely lost players over the years to the go home factor, so that works in our favour.

Maybe a better idea to draft them as youngsters, have them move to Geelong where they meet a local lass, fall in love & want to settle down in the area?

I don't think we can link or reflect the Kelly situation as being the norm or expect that it will happen on a regular basis - and I hope that what happened doesn't scare us from drafting interstate lads in the future (and I doubt it would have a major influence on drafting decisions)

I'd be more than happy to move up the draft by trading picks 14 and 17 for Freo's picks 10 and 22. Talk of trading picks 14 AND 24 for pick 8/9 is just madness IMO. Throwing away a half decent pick (24) for a slight upgrade, no thanks. If pick 8/9 turns out to be a dud, we have burned two really good picks. We have had a lot of success with picks in the 20's and 30's in the past. There is no reason why we can't get a quality long term player with 24.

In a few years time, I bet people look back and see that some players taken in the 20's and 30's turn out to be better players than some of the top 10. It happens every year. Some of the top 10 prospects may look elite right now, but there are no guarantees. Players develop at different ages, hence why many good AFL players were drafted with mid to late picks. I'm all for getting a top 10 pick, but just giving away a pick in the 20's to get it doesn't sit well with me.

Maybe a better idea to draft them as youngsters, have them move to Geelong where they meet a local lass, fall in love & want to settle down in the area?

I don't think we can link or reflect the Kelly situation as being the norm or expect that it will happen on a regular basis - and I hope that what happened doesn't scare us from drafting interstate lads in the future (and I doubt it would have a major influence on drafting decisions)

Yep, Kelly's situation was very different and unique. I certainly don't think it'll scare Wells off drafting interstate players. In fact, he drafted Clark from WA just after Kelly requested a trade after 1-year with us. I think we have to back in our good culture and environment, and most of the time, players will stay long term

Yep, Kelly's situation was very different and unique. I certainly don't think it'll scare Wells off drafting interstate players. In fact, he drafted Clark from WA just after Kelly requested a trade after 1-year with us. I think we have to back in our good culture and environment, and most of the time, players will stay long term
+ it will be funny as hell to draft a WA talent with a pick we got from WC lol

Count ourselves lucky they dont stretch it out to two weeks :rolleyes:

To be fair with the 5 minutes for teams to take each pick and live trading you couldnt do the draft in one day unless you started at noon and the networks will only show it if its primetime (night).

Surely they could get Jackson with their next pick? It's 8 right?

I think GWS will take Jackson at 4 if Melb dont take him at 3 or bid on Green. I doubt he gets past Freo at 7.

I really thought that Hawthorn had trading limitations due to their last 3-4 years of swapping out of the first round (like us). They were given an exemption, but surely that can't last forever?

Nah they traded in Nths Fr2 yday so they can trade out their FR1 as can we.

I reckon 17 and 24 would do it
9 D.Stephens
14 Robertson/Kemp
36 Rantall/Georgiades/Sokol
93 Schloithe

Robertson (Freo) and Kemp (Carlton/Haw/WB) wont get to 14 imo of the top 14 or so only McAsey might i think.

I think Carl will want 14 + 24 for 9 or 17 24 and 36 for 9 and 43. If they are keen on Cooper Stephens as mooted they must be considering trading down as 9 is too early for him and 43 too late. If any of D Stephens/Serong/Kemp/Robertson are there live at 9 id do the trade. I wouldnt do it for Worrell and im unsure if id do it for McAsey.

I'd be more than happy to move up the draft by trading picks 14 and 17 for Freo's picks 10 and 22. Talk of trading picks 14 AND 24 for pick 8/9 is just madness IMO. Throwing away a half decent pick (24) for a slight upgrade, no thanks. If pick 8/9 turns out to be a dud, we have burned two really good picks. We have had a lot of success with picks in the 20's and 30's in the past. There is no reason why we can't get a quality long term player with 24.

In a few years time, I bet people look back and see that some players taken in the 20's and 30's turn out to be better players than some of the top 10. It happens every year. Some of the top 10 prospects may look elite right now, but there are no guarantees. Players develop at different ages, hence why many good AFL players were drafted with mid to late picks. I'm all for getting a top 10 pick, but just giving away a pick in the 20's to get it doesn't sit well with me.

Its not about a slight upgrade its about needs. 9 guarantees us either the winger we need (d stephens or ash) or the big clearance mid we need (kemp robertson)..there will be good players at 14 but not for our needs weightman/pickett/henry are all sub 185 forward half players which we have too many of already or mcasey worrell and bergman who all have questions over their consistency and best position. Unless you think haw will pass on maginess or you want to get brave with c stephens at 14 theres not stacks at 14 that suits what we need. This is why you trade up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back