Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess the good thing about Mid season draft is it gives an afl club a free shot... drafting with a spot not normally there...

players like this guy can hold hopes ... My concern would be there is a big difference between playing the game and living the game..

https://thewest.com.au/sport/perth-...ll-the-dice-on-michael-bennell-ng-b881163571z

To what extent will the mid season draft hurt our recruiting strategies of mature age footballers??

I heard Chris Scott already express discontent last season over the priority access to state league players and it appears so because we had eyes on Krueger.

Will have us re evaluating some of our drafting strategies

To what extent will the mid season draft hurt our recruiting strategies of mature age footballers??

I heard Chris Scott already express discontent last season over the priority access to state league players and it appears so because we had eyes on Krueger.

Will have us re evaluating some of our drafting strategies

My thoughts on the PA to mature players is all positive... but i would add that you could have one player a year from within your own system that could be bid on and you can match (like a FS) It would reward clubs like Geelong to continue to give chances to those missed.

Haven’t been up to date. Any news of geelong after kelly or coniglio??

Any other names we are linked too??

I think we need to wait till later in the year for both those players.. any link to both players is just a rumoutoid atm. The one i was hoping would be announced buy now was the basketballer Tom Wilson.

Could we trade Brothers for Brothers? Curnows <> Guthries + a future pick..? I think it could be a potential win for all.. and right now Carlton might think they have a lot of guys that could do Charlie Curnow's role

Carlton wont trade C Curnow.

Come on Pure dont be too dour .. get someone to have a word in his ear. He be just the right fit into our side.

I know Pure_Ownage its only a dream but he does fit our recruitment principles of Boomerang Falcons ...

It would be nice but hes contracted long term and will be a star. Cant see them trading him.

Saints on the prowl .... linked to Zac Jones , Adam Tomlinson and now Jack Martin .

perhaps they can leverage the form they are showing to get a trade of two done. AT is a UFA so its just a matter of what he wants to do..

.. to me this means they are a chance to offload someone..

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-24/saints-swoop-giant-sun-in-st-kildas-sights

Nah they have had a crap list until recently they would have been frontloading just to hit 95 % of the cap. I doubt they need to offload anyone for cap space.

McKay does look very good even before this year his attack on the ball excited me and now he’s putting the other pieces together. Speaking of brothers Turbocat the Nth Melb McKay is going to waste away down there. They seem to view him as a defender but could he be the key forward you are looking for? Has played both ends but has the height etc to play as a key. Has had some injury issues though which is never good. He is the right age and wouldn’t cost the world. I think he’s probably a better prospect that a lot we have on the list. But I don’t know why North would persist with him back when they need another forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will see..my bet is they off load someone. Billings is going to be worth a lot more than they are paying him..

If Billings leaves it wont be for money though they can offer him more money than most clubs. I would be happy to get him.

Need to consider Key/Marking Forward talent that are not getting a go on other team's lists.

Just to name a few, not sure its that exciting:

Connor Ballenden - Lions
Toby Wooller - Lions
Patrick Kerr - Blues
Tom De Konig - Blues
Hugh Dixon - Dockers
Jake Waterman - Eagles
Jarrod Brander - Eagles
Jon Patton - Giants
Nick Larkey - NM

If Billings leaves it wont be for money though they can offer him more money than most clubs. I would be happy to get him.

Of course if we lost Kelly and Billings was interested in moving etc.. I wasn't really trying to say that..I was unclear sorry.

Billing is OOC. So is Gresham. So is Marshall. Billings current form will mean a much better contract ..and if Stk are chasing players like the ones mentioned .. it wouldn't surprise me to see they move someone.

I was more thinking someone like Steven who they would just move a year early.Not that I'd pay a lot for him. Tomlinson and Martin would obviously get games and push someone out but probably not someone who helps with their SC.

Of course you maybe right.. perhaps they have a heap of room ..even after Hanneberry.

Last edited:
Need to consider Key/Marking Forward talent that are not getting a go on other team's lists.

Just to name a few, not sure its that exciting:

Connor Ballenden - Lions
Toby Wooller - Lions
Patrick Kerr - Blues
Tom De Konig - Blues
Hugh Dixon - Dockers
Jake Waterman - Eagles
Jarrod Brander - Eagles
Jon Patton - Giants
Nick Larkey - NM

Apart from Patton.. its basically a youngish list of potential players... some potentially better than ours. I thinkBallenden was rated higher than the pick taken but a typical academy pick that went later than he was rated. Wooller we have talked about. Kerr was one I like in the champs. Kicking was tad off but showed a lot of smarts. DeKonig sort like a young Fort. Dixon a clever forward as well. Brander is probably he pick of the group. Patton very much a known. Larkey is not someone I can remember that well to be honest.. the last time I saw something on him , North were trying to play him in the ruck to groom him for the forward/ruck role.

Connor Ballenden - Lions .. p43 2017
Toby Wooller - Lions .. p41 2017
Patrick Kerr - Blues ... p65 2016
Tom De Konig - Blues... p30 2017
Hugh Dixon - Dockers .. p44 2017
Jake Waterman - Eagles .. p77 2016
Jarrod Brander - Eagles .. p13 2017
Jon Patton - Giants .. p1 2011
Nick Larkey - NM ... p73 2016

Last edited:
I think the club may not share the view of the need to get another key forward as yet. We’ve added speculative key forwards over the last few seasons hoping one will work out. We know have an unbalanced vfl team with rucks and forwards unable to play in the position they are suited.
I’m on board to find a Hawkins replacement I just don’t think the club is ready to do so through a big trade commitment. Most of those in the right bracket won’t move without a big offer. Wright seems will sign soon and get a much better deal at the suns than geelong could offer. Brander should be a target if Kelly goes but he only recently signed.
Unless the right trade presents itself I think the club will hope those on the list develop while Hawkins is still here. If no one has developed by the time Hawkins retires they’ll look at a free agent/trade option then.
+1 this. We are night and day in a different position to where we were last year. When we look for a Hawkins replacement what are we adding? Last year losing Hawkins meant losing the forward line, but this year we're in a totally different position. Maybe someone who can take the odd contested grab or simply disrupt intercept defenders would be good enough in an environment where 3 of the top 5 Coleman leaders currently are small/medium forwards.

I don't think we should be looking for a Hawkins replacement for two reasons.
A) It's not as urgent and pressing as it was last year
B) We have a stack of talls in the VFL who can provide the odd contested mark/goal and bring it to ground favourably for our forwards
C) You can't really replace a player of Tom's calibre anyway. Not without selling the farm or cooking the player payments structure.
D) Replacing Kelly is far more urgent

Unless a Tom Lynch style free agent pops up, nominates us, and accepts a salary that would fit our player payments structure then i just don't see any value over a strategy of trying to develop what we have and taking best available mid at the draft. If we want to drop buzza / trade smith then there's a reasonable number of talls that will fall to the late first round.

The only trade the farm strategy i would endorse is one where we replace Kelly with Coniglio or similar

+1 this. We are night and day in a different position to where we were last year. When we look for a Hawkins replacement what are we adding? Last year losing Hawkins meant losing the forward line, but this year we're in a totally different position. Maybe someone who can take the odd contested grab or simply disrupt intercept defenders would be good enough in an environment where 3 of the top 5 Coleman leaders currently are small/medium forwards.

I don't think we should be looking for a Hawkins replacement for two reasons.
A) It's not as urgent and pressing as it was last year
B) We have a stack of talls in the VFL who can provide the odd contested mark/goal and bring it to ground favourably for our forwards
C) You can't really replace a player of Tom's calibre anyway. Not without selling the farm or cooking the player payments structure.
D) Replacing Kelly is far more urgent

Unless a Tom Lynch style free agent pops up, nominates us, and accepts a salary that would fit our player payments structure then i just don't see any value over a strategy of trying to develop what we have and taking best available mid at the draft. If we want to drop buzza / trade smith then there's a reasonable number of talls that will fall to the late first round.

The only trade the farm strategy i would endorse is one where we replace Kelly with Coniglio or similar

Good post.. Im not in total agreement with it but it presents it pov well.
Im probably old fashioned but i do feel that you need talented talls... they are the leaset represented on the field and the least represenetd on your list.
However Im open to the idea that there is more than one way to recruit. If we use todays best22 as an example.. then I doubt we would have got the same affect on our side by adding a late picks kid with P61.

I do think we can get a little warped by how good or bad we are going atpit but one thing that cant be beaten is time. We know that sooner or later time wins and therefore Selwood and Hawkins will need to be replaced. I was calling PS for much like they have done ..trust the next mid group.. I thought Sel would be down back as he was tried last year there.. but no matter having the likes of Constable in the middle is an attempt to acknowledge time is coming. However with Hawkins .. I do not see any obvious attempt to replace him yet. I suspect its a lot harder to get games into kids. Maybe we dont have the big Gorilla setup once he is done.. but as it stands I think he is perhaps our most vulnerable link. He has been so reliable but if he is down for any length of time I suspect we then would get a taste of his importance.

I dont mind your farm analogy .. and Coniglio etc is certainly a prime.Would be a great add...and would keep him away from Haw which would be a bonus. Kelly with Kelly would be another... but once we go from those super mids... id more prepared to try to trust our list , find another mid as cheap as possible as we have done with Dahl and Rohan and go to draft. Two R1's this year in a strong mid draft would then give us ample mid coverage for the future... then next year we can look around for another tall if we feel that the guys we have ..have not come on. Using two R1's this year would then allow us to "farm" up next year... having the ability to trade 2020 and 2021. This can change if the right player sort of falls into our lap. 2mp OCC and say he is interested etc.

Im probably old fashioned but i do feel that you need talented talls... they are the leaset represented on the field and the least represenetd on your list.
They also take the longest time to come good.

Hawthorn was the blueprint; they set themselves up with that Franklin/Roughead haul. Everything else slotted in around it; you can get the likes of Puopolo in rookie/late picks, but not the tall forwards.

They also take the longest time to come good.

Hawthorn was the blueprint; they set themselves up with that Franklin/Roughead haul. Everything else slotted in around it; you can get the likes of Puopolo in rookie/late picks, but not the tall forwards.

The trouble with blueprint is its probably not repeatable.. PPicks.. 2 picks in the top 5 and the right draft to do it... and even then they thought they needed to go again.. in 06 and cost them selwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back