Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Value recruiting is a slightly different pov. Dahl really wouldn't have appealed to me unless he was FA. If we go back to when Rohan was first mentioned I was negative at the thought of the cost..but as it be came apparent the cost would be 40 plus less so. Then we paid 60 something and I had no issue with adding what we knew about him for that cost. I doubt many would have thought , maybe Cockarfitt ..I think he was strong on him , that Rohan could be what he has for us. I was happy to think he could be the difference in one or two games where he would play out of his socks with that high end talent that saw him drafted at 6 ..and then mostly just be an addendum to our forwardline. He has been worth and performed at a much better level than that.

So Id guess ..in ref. to the Moneyball type of recruitment.. what do you think it would cost us?

Obviously Im being the antithesis of Moneyball in my quick disparagement of them. Yes they all have positives and in the Moneyball mindet for the right price you may look at what they can do , and not be overly dismissive based on what the cant...

my reasoning .

Dunkley is an opportunity killer. The amount of setshots he misses is the negative for mine..it represents a poor dispossal ability. I really dislike afl players who cant perform to a reasonable level in footskills.. Its "foot" ball. One could make an argument that as much as plenty say Hawkins is doing this or doing that. ..the basis of all that he is doing at the moment is he is converting. He in the zone atm. his back must be feeling good and he is kicking well and he knows his shape. I think he may struggle to ever do the Hawks siren shot again , I dont think he has that distance with his current technique. Dunkley even more so should be able to kick setshots. It simply unacceptable to not be reliable. To add someone like that is building in with a redundant mindset of inside 50's is a numbers game.. get 50,60 70 etc.. and statistically that means "x" goals. Our current game rubs that the wrong way. With less inside 50's yet we have at least 3 really good forward convertors. Dahl brings other elements ..but Hawkins, Rohan and Miers we have deadly footmen. Add Duncan , Kelly etc and we really dont have too many gut churners. Danger is one , I'm not sure if he really understands his setshot..he is better on the run as he doesnt lean back.. anyone thats my querry on Dunkley.

Langdon is someone I have less strong opinions on.. he probably would appeal to CS as he seems to cover ground ..I suspect if he goes anywhere it would be to Collingwood. Out of the players mentioned he is the one Id give ground on IF the price was right.

Libba .. well we dont need to expand on why no. I have little doubt at his best he could add contested ball numbers to our mid group.. and he FA. Id have worries of reuniting him with Dahl..and I have doubts with him around the ground away rom the inside contested ball.
I really really rate Dunkley, absolute contested beast who will continue to get better. Yes he is a horrible kick no arguments there. They do play him way too deep for large periods due to their s**t undersized forward line though. I'd love to see him in the hoops...our hoops.

atpit it would seem that would be the most likely .... but its a moving canvas.
It only takes the story about Darling in the press and it makes one start to think ..well if that happens and this happens etc...
Darling, Kennedy, Brander, Allen can't all fit in the same team. Maybe they're at risk of losing Brander for more opportunity and might be prepared to offload Darling.
would you prefer darling or the pick they get for darling in a kelly trade, i assume the pick seeing as doggies have been linked with darling could be a decent one

would you prefer darling or the pick they get for darling in a kelly trade, i assume the pick seeing as doggies have been linked with darling could be a decent one
Pick.

I'd rather we either draft our own or recruit Geelong born and bred.

We'll have two firsts this year and he's worth using one on.

Unless this years batch really starts to smell it up ... my guesstimate is he slides a bit . I think an early R2 may get him. If we can add him as an inside type , and another couple of draft mids(as good as clark ;)) perhaps a goaling mid to replace Ablett ...its not helping now but IF the players come on as expected ..we are happier with choice in 2-3 years time

I think we can try to cover the now thru the type of play now additions that have been talked about.

Most of all , Id like to have picks ready to go next year , so a FR1 would be fine with me. I maintain my interest in Ben King but there will be others.

Darling, Kennedy, Brander, Allen can't all fit in the same team. Maybe they're at risk of losing Brander for more opportunity and might be prepared to offload Darling.

Preagency is a calculation for top teams. The abolute most they could get ... then look at offers form other clubs. The press had Darling linked to Dogs interest.. one could only assume that would be their R1 pick which would be estimated the top of the draft

Unless this years batch really starts to smell it up ... my guesstimate is he slides a bit . I think an early R2 may get him. If we can add him as an inside type , and another couple of draft mids(as good as clark ;)) perhaps a goaling mid to replace Ablett ...its not helping now but IF the players come on as expected ..we are happier with choice in 2-3 years time

I think we can try to cover the now thru the type of play now additions that have been talked about.

Most of all , Id like to have picks ready to go next year , so a FR1 would be fine with me. I maintain my interest in Ben King but there will be others.
Serong and Stephens for me.

And Clark still doesn't convince me. If I change my mind on him I'll happily admit I was wrong.

Preagency is a calculation for top teams. The abolute most they could get ... then look at offers form other clubs. The press had Darling linked to Dogs interest.. one could only assume that would be their R1 pick which would be estimated the top of the draft
That'd be a great outcome for us.

I see it revolving around need. Id much prefer now to use the pick on a much younger player. My push has been trying to get Ben King but in the end I could live with just going to draft. The exception is a top draw mid at the right age like Danger was ..one can see what we paid has been worth it.

And Clark still doesn't convince me. If I change my mind on him I'll happily admit I was wrong.

And I will not let you forget that you posted that, should Clark prove to be the player that his current form suggests that he may be.

And I will not let you forget that you posted that, should Clark prove to be the player that his current form suggests that he may be.
His current form suggests I'm right so let's no overplay things or overhype performance. That's not your game.

I would say empirical evidence on Clark atm suggests you are on the wrong side of it "atm" but there are plenty of examples of early games does not mean automatic long term success. From my pov he doing well for a 1st year player ... and if we could get three more kids that can push to come in to the side Y1 then we are on our way. My issue when he was drafted is that we still have not got that young inside mid that one can see will be our future once the names are gone...but for the role asked of him he showed a lot of traits that I like.

So if we could add a Copper or a Copper type , ( I think Serong will probably be gone) , perhaps someone like Kemp that can become a strong inside player we will really be on our way to that new group.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His current form suggests I'm right so let's no overplay things or overhype performance. That's not your game.

Over hype things! That is a fantasy that you have invented in your mind.

The kid is playing reasonably well and has played all 11 games this year. I am not sure what else is required from an 18 year old first year player.

Over hype things! That is a fantasy that you have invented in your mind.

The kid is playing reasonably well and has played all 11 games this year. I am not sure what else is required from an 18 year old first year player.
We have differing opinions of the term playing reasonably well.

Some players aren't afforded the same luxury on this board and they've played better games and had better seasons.

If it was Menegola, etc playing at such a sub par standard there would be calls for their head.

Whats the story with Matty Kennedy ..

He looked good at times at GWS ..and was one of the GWS cherry picks that SOS took to Carlton... He was a R1 pick in 2015 ..he is 22 , 33 games and one would think should be starting get into his prime ..but the Carlton side is young mid dense..and certainly last years draft seems to have hurt him.

Could he be a cheap option at years end or even a delisted FA? Perhaps there are questions over his speed etc ..but he didn't look that bad at GWS..

He is OOC and a young big body. Maybe a bit to similar to Constable but as a cheap option Id like to see what he could do at our club. Listening to him... he sounds like a player that would like the country club ...

Last edited:

Some players aren't afforded the same luxury on this board and they've played better games and had better seasons.

If it was Menegola, etc playing at such a sub par standard there would be calls for their head.
1560162055079.png Stop digging Crocka.

Whats the story with Matty Kennedy ..

He looked good at times at GWS ..and was one of the GWS cherry picks that SOS took to Carlton... He was a R1 pick in 2015 ..he is 22 , 33 games and one would think should be starting get into his prime ..but the Carlton side is young mid dense..and certainly last years draft seems to have hurt him.

Could he be a cheap option at years end or even a delisted FA? Perhaps there are questions over his speed etc ..but he didn't look that bad at GWS..

He is OOC and a young big body. Maybe a bit to similar to Constable but as a cheap option Id like to see what he could do at our club.
heard hes had some issues with the coaching staff and that's the reason he hasnt been a regular this year

Value recruiting is a slightly different pov. Dahl really wouldn't have appealed to me unless he was FA. If we go back to when Rohan was first mentioned I was negative at the thought of the cost..but as it be came apparent the cost would be 40 plus less so. Then we paid 60 something and I had no issue with adding what we knew about him for that cost. I doubt many would have thought , maybe Cockarfitt ..I think he was strong on him , that Rohan could be what he has for us. I was happy to think he could be the difference in one or two games where he would play out of his socks with that high end talent that saw him drafted at 6 ..and then mostly just be an addendum to our forwardline. He has been worth and performed at a much better level than that.

So Id guess ..in ref. to the Moneyball type of recruitment.. what do you think it would cost us?

Obviously Im being the antithesis of Moneyball in my quick disparagement of them. Yes they all have positives and in the Moneyball mindet for the right price you may look at what they can do , and not be overly dismissive based on what the cant...

my reasoning .

Dunkley is an opportunity killer. The amount of setshots he misses is the negative for mine..it represents a poor dispossal ability. I really dislike afl players who cant perform to a reasonable level in footskills.. Its "foot" ball. One could make an argument that as much as plenty say Hawkins is doing this or doing that. ..the basis of all that he is doing at the moment is he is converting. He in the zone atm. his back must be feeling good and he is kicking well and he knows his shape. I think he may struggle to ever do the Hawks siren shot again , I dont think he has that distance with his current technique. Dunkley even more so should be able to kick setshots. It simply unacceptable to not be reliable. To add someone like that is building in with a redundant mindset of inside 50's is a numbers game.. get 50,60 70 etc.. and statistically that means "x" goals. Our current game rubs that the wrong way. With less inside 50's yet we have at least 3 really good forward convertors. Dahl brings other elements ..but Hawkins, Rohan and Miers we have deadly footmen. Add Duncan , Kelly etc and we really dont have too many gut churners. Danger is one , I'm not sure if he really understands his setshot..he is better on the run as he doesnt lean back.. anyone thats my querry on Dunkley.

Langdon is someone I have less strong opinions on.. he probably would appeal to CS as he seems to cover ground ..I suspect if he goes anywhere it would be to Collingwood. Out of the players mentioned he is the one Id give ground on IF the price was right.

Libba .. well we dont need to expand on why no. I have little doubt at his best he could add contested ball numbers to our mid group.. and he FA. Id have worries of reuniting him with Dahl..and I have doubts with him around the ground away rom the inside contested ball.

Id like Libba but given our emphasis on character i assume we rule him out.

Beveridge has a history of wrecking good players out of position Dahl included (to be fair his recruiters have given him and unbalanced list so its not all his fault) Dunkley is an inside mid and very good one ignore his workas a fwd we wouldnt play him there.

I think Parish is quite moneyball as Ess have played him out of position but he's skilled durable and high character. Might cost more than 6 weeks ago but i'd be keen.

I cant see Langdon at Collingwood? Honestly i doubt they have the cap room and they have bigger list needs than another winger. We on the other hand need a run and carry player if TK goes so the longer he remains unsigned id be keen.

Id also not be averse to Newnes as an FA but i understand that wouldnt excite people.

I would say Bonar Hately and even Perryman might be very useable at the right price if keeping Cogs pushes other players out (i like Hill too but i assume he goes back to WA if anywhere).

Darling has young kids and I dont think will leave WA. Brander is the one i think to leave if any of them go.

Cool, but Menegola is not an 18 year old kid in his first year of AFL footy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back