Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaatman

Senior List
Oct 24, 2011
St Albans
AFL Club
Geelong
Think you might find that Brodie has possibly similar issues to Constable, Needs to be more flexible as you cant just play one position

Danger2Selwood

Team Captain
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
It doesn't matter. We're in a position to win it all this year which was my point in case it flew over your head. Right now Clark's performance is sub par.

Don't overrate kids until they start performing. He's played all but one game and still doesn't have a rising star nom which shows he isnt even in the same class as at least 12 other kids.

Just out of interest mate, who would you have preferred us draft instead of Clark? I'd say the only player who was drafted after Clark who is outperforming him is Sydney Stack, and if we had drafted Sydney Stack at pick 15 we would've been laughed out of the room. I liked Stocker, but Clark's definitely got him covered to this point in time. Many here wanted Sam Sturt, but he's done nothing so far, Collier-Dawkins also hasn't done anything. Duursma looks the goods but I wouldn't say he's much better than Clark either, pretty comparable players really.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It doesn't matter. We're in a position to win it all this year which was my point in case it flew over your head. Right now Clark's performance is sub par.

Don't overrate kids until they start performing. He's played all but one game and still doesn't have a rising star nom which shows he isnt even in the same class as at least 12 other kids.

And don't strawman me. I have not overrated him. I simply think that he is performing quite well for an 18 year old kid in his first year, and I think that he may turn out to be a serviceable AFL player.
And he is performing much better than Menegola was at a young age. Don't forget that Menegola failed to get an AFL game at two AFL clubs and was delisted by both before we picked him up. Clark is on track.

And while he may not have a rising star nomination his stats are up there with the rising stars.

● 4th among rising stars in Total Kicks in 2019
● 3rd among rising stars in Total Rebound 50s in 2019
● 1st among rising stars in Total Bounces in 2019
● 1st among rising stars in Total Metres Gained in 2019
● 5th among rising stars in Total Turnovers in 2019
● 1st among rising stars in Bounces Per Game in 2019
● 1st among rising stars in Metres Gained Per Game in 2019

Last edited:

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
Look I maybe wrong, I can't see us getting rid of Scooter... The only thing is that his salary will be cut dramatically. I rate him highly, but at this stage as our side is going good, we still need depth as it only takes a few injurys ( Touchwood ) and we will be screaming for him.... Good teams always have good played playing in there 2s, it what's makes a good and successful team.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Rankine is head and shoulders above any player in this draft class imo. That said i doubt GC trade him this year anyway so its probably irrelevant.

I think there’s a few - Walsh, Rankine, Luko, Rozee, and probably both the Kings as well. I reckon they’d all go either one or at least no worse than top 3 this year.

Elijah Taylor is the one I’m really warming to this year. Classiest player I’ve seen so far. Love to pick him up.

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
And don't strawman me. I have not overrated him. I simply think that he is performing quite well for an 18 year old kid in his first year, and I think that he may turn out to be a serviceable AFL player.
And he is performing much better than Menegola was at a young age. Don't forget that Menegola failed to get an AFL game at two AFL clubs and was delisted by both before we picked him up. Clark is on track.

And while he may not have a rising star nomination his stats are up there with the rising stars.

● 4th among rising stars in Total Kicks in 2019
● 3rd among rising stars in Total Rebound 50s in 2019
● 1st among rising stars in Total Bounces in 2019
● 1st among rising stars in Total Metres Gained in 2019
● 5th among rising stars in Total Turnovers in 2019
● 1st among rising stars in Bounces Per Game in 2019
● 1st among rising stars in Metres Gained Per Game in 2019
Clark doesn't yet have a complete/finished game but he has the ability to open the opposition up with attack on the ball leading into run and carry. Surely those plays where he's a one man transition are the reason behind his big metres gained.

It's something that could be gotten out of Menegola plus change, but he's already basically at his ceiling while Clark has a ways to go before reaching his.

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
Clark doesn't yet have a complete/finished game but he has the ability to open the opposition up with attack on the ball leading into run and carry. Surely those plays where he's a one man transition are the reason behind his big metres gained.

It's something that could be gotten out of Menegola plus change, but he's already basically at his ceiling while Clark has a ways to go before reaching his.

Lot to like about Clark , great kick off both sides , gutsy , good mark and willing to take the game on. Also he doesn't lose any speed whilst running and bouncing which is unusual !
Can't wait to see him in 2 years time with a more mature and preseason hardened body :thumbsu:

I think there’s a few - Walsh, Rankine, Luko, Rozee, and probably both the Kings as well. I reckon they’d all go either one or at least no worse than top 3 this year.

Elijah Taylor is the one I’m really warming to this year. Classiest player I’ve seen so far. Love to pick him up.

I like Walsh and Luko but id have Rankine over either every day of the week. I agree last years draft looks stronger than this years at the top end.

I like Taylor although Serong is one i would be really keen on.

We can have both. It doesnt need to be one or the other. Menegola IS a fantastic player and Clark will be one.

Look I maybe wrong, I can't see us getting rid of Scooter... The only thing is that his salary will be cut dramatically. I rate him highly, but at this stage as our side is going good, we still need depth as it only takes a few injurys ( Touchwood ) and we will be screaming for him.... Good teams always have good played playing in there 2s, it what's makes a good and successful team.

We need list spots and he is 29 OOC and not best 22.
I expect he will retire anyway.

Bit tough to say when he hasn't played a single game of AFL ;)

Are you a big SANFL/u18s watcher?

Yeah i watch a fair bit. Honestly Rankine is head and shoulders the best U18 player Ive seen since O'Meara.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

I wonder if they would consider a rookie spot ..supplemented with VFL coaching for Scooter. Keep him up their sleeve? I cant see him being on the main list. Simpson Guthrie Jones have to be handled.. as its stands I think Jones is probably in trouble.
Smith and henderson probably are also on the highwire ... and we will probably loose someone we dont see atm.

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
We can have both. It doesnt need to be one or the other. Menegola IS a fantastic player and Clark will be one.

I've always liked Sam but I'm honestly not sure who I would drop to bring him back into the team. Better than depth, though.

I've always liked Sam but I'm honestly not sure who I would drop to bring him back into the team. Better than depth, though.

Several players who are currently in it that i can think of. Hes easily best 22 and should be straight back in.

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Several players who are currently in it that i can think of. Hes easily best 22 and should be straight back in.
I would not drop a defender or a forward for him, which makes it very tough. (Thinking of Atkins as a forward)

Do you drop Clark or Parfitt? There aren't many options imo.

Could we see Scooter accepting a similar deal to what Troy accepted when he moved to Geelong:
- VFL contract and a coaching role within the VFL team, so he can provide added mentorship on the field (probably similar to what he's doing now anyway)

I know Troy was captain of our VFL side, but not sure if that's something Scooter would want that

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong

Never change Stabby

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I like Walsh and Luko but id have Rankine over either every day of the week. I agree last years draft looks stronger than this years at the top end.

I like Taylor although Serong is one i would be really keen on.
I think its a wells draft... me as a novice looks at the talent and the kids do not look as silky or as ready as previous years..but I suspect their is still talent there. Forget Walsh , Rankine Kings etc... I think Clark would have been a lot earlier this year. So Im not sure this is a fantastic draft to have R1's ..compared to say last year. Wells has missed with R1s before rolling the dice..and id fear thats what he would try to do again. Serong looks neat , Young looks good.. Kemp may be the best in the afl in the end... and I have mentioned the big guys who I like but they are all development types. Worrell looks under what Krueger is for example..he is no auto 2020 pick.

YOTC likes E Taylor and can see why.. he is one of only a couple that looke like he could influence and control the ball.. His kicking action is fluid and he weighs the ball nicely. I find those types really hard to judge on how they adapt in the afl. If they bust loose and look a bargain.. one can say ..it was all there to see , and if they fail you can say it was all there to see. .. and of course there is so much more than just a sweet kick etc.at afl level. I remember in his draft in 2014 we were linked to JPickett ..and he looked good, probably better than most this year. Taylor sort of reminds me of players like SPS , Varcoe etc. Im probably a little bit sus on those players who like space to show their skills cause the AFL just doesn't give it to them. He has afl attributes for sure , the snap that Taylor did in the last quarter was the type of finish that looks routine but plenty miss. I love finishers. People wonder whats wrong with Melb this year.. plenty probably but a lot would look better if McDonald was kicking like last year and their mids didnt waste their shots at goal. They have heap of inside ball getters and they could do with a couple of guys with Taylor type kicks..

I wonder if they would consider a rookie spot ..supplemented with VFL coaching for Scooter. Keep him up their sleeve? I cant see him being on the main list. Simpson Guthrie Jones have to be handled.. as its stands I think Jones is probably in trouble.
Smith and henderson probably are also on the highwire ... and we will probably loose someone we dont see atm.

Jones is gone IMO. I think Cunico is too.
Simpson and Zuthrie have to be upraded bc of their contracts. We may want to upgrade Atkins too.
I think Hendo gets one more year especially if Taylor retires. My guess is Cockatoo gets one more year. Buzza is very borderline for me.
Smith gone. Will Bews get offered more elsewhere as an FA? With OConnor signed im thinking thats possible. Ablett goes around again surely.
Id like to keep Scooter around as a vfl captain but im not sure id waste a list spot on that,hes a fair way down the pecking order. Couldnt you just cut him and pick him back up mid season draft anyway if we get a major run of injuries?

If you assume TK Smith Taylor Bews Cunico and Scooter off the main list Jones off the rookie and Simpson Zuthrie and Atkins elevated that still only gives you 3 senior and 4 rookie spots. Which is why i think delist (and possibly rerookie) for Buzza is possible unless we do that to someone contracted like Jarvis or Kennerley. Spots will be pretty tight.

I would not drop a defender or a forward for him, which makes it very tough. (Thinking of Atkins as a forward)

Do you drop Clark or Parfitt? There aren't many options imo.

I like Atkins but Menegola every day of the week over him currently.
Id also drop Clark for Menegola because we are trying to win a flag this year. Have to be ruthless.

Could we see Scooter accepting a similar deal to what Troy accepted when he moved to Geelong:
- VFL contract and a coaching role within the VFL team, so he can provide added mentorship on the field (probably similar to what he's doing now anyway)

I know Troy was captain of our VFL side, but not sure if that's something Scooter would want that

Yeah i was thinking the same as you tbh.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

Its probably a discussion for another thread.. Id say most years the RS winner is nominated by r12 .. Mills was a late nom in 2016 ...but looking back there are plenty of good players who are late nominations or player like GAjr who did not get a nomination at all. Treloar and Grundy are a couple of late year noms for example.

I think we could debate what Rising star highlights ... if we are looking at the highest potential , if all goes as hoped then Sav could be rally high end..yet no nom for him. Its not always about who is playing well in their first 10-20 games.. a lot of players do take time.

Thats sort of differnt to your point on where we currently sit and the importantance of the current side considering 11-1 etc. We are now in a position where few teams get ..if we fail to make the most of it there will be feedback.For CS this finals sets up as defining..it will either confirm or dismisses preconceptions. Its been said a side has a very short period of tactical advantage before other sides drag them back.. as much as anything we have somehow found ourselves in a sweet spot of form and age and ready to win. We have Premiership players and players that are ready to be. I do think that while its working id be hesitant to take out the exuberant youth that is giving us that mobility and flair ..even though they can cost us a mistake or two.

What id say in relation to this thread... its unlikely that the best 22 we have this year , will be our best next year. Do we try to add another Clark or two (drafted types) who can fill potential holes ..or do we try to find another Dahl and Rohan who we know what they offer at the level.. Do we have the guys on our list to fill those potential holes with Constable and Brownless etc. or do we really go hard to bring in the best mid we can get hold of..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back