Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

strauchnyy

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Why don't you like Tucker. Seems a very talented kid with good ball skills

Don't see any point of difference in him, an OK player that's now been around a few years without really setting the world on fire and I don't see where he'd fit in our 22. I don't believe Tucker would push any of our players out and for Kelly, the return needs to be greater.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Don't see any point of difference in him, an OK player that's now been around a few years without really setting the world on fire and I don't see where he'd fit in our 22. I don't believe Tucker would push any of our players out and for Kelly, the return needs to be greater.

Tucker seems the type we can find with a Wells lucky dip somewhere... perhaps he is better than that... one really gets a better feel for players once they are on your own list.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Carlton have too many talls they can not keep them all. Goddard would be worth a watch... FA at year end he cost nothing but a spot on the list...
Tom DeKoning apparently playing well also ...

SELECTION NEWS: Goddard to debut for Blues
JAY CLARK reports…
Former top draft pick Hugh Goddard will make his Carlton debut.
Goddard, who managed just 10 matches across four seasons with St Kilda, is a rookie at the Blues and will make his debut in the navy blue.
Taken with pick 21 in the 2014 draft, Goddard endured an injury-interrupted run during his time at the Saints.
But the key defender has been displaying good form for the Northern Blues in the VFL and may be promoted by caretaker coach David Teague.
Carlton faces the Swans at the SCG on Saturday afternoon.
hugh.jpg

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
How about Luke Smith from our VFL team? Kicked 70 odd goals in Goulburn Valley Football League. If we played him fully in the forward line he would be good
How good am I... I know my football about players :cool::cool:

Geelong Cats: Luke Smith catches eyes in VFL with AFL qualities
The path is well trodden. Tom Stewart, Tom Atkins and Ryan Abbott are all Geelong VFL graduates now on the Cats’ AFL list.
Josh Conway, VFL, Geelong Advertiser
Subscriber only
|
July 11, 2019 5:12pm
Luke Smith (55) celebrates a goal in the VFL. Picture: Mark Wilson
THE path is well trodden.
Tom Stewart, Tom Atkins and Ryan Abbott are all Geelong VFL graduates now on the Cats’ AFL list.
And in a couple of years, we could be seeing another.

Luke Smith may only stand 177cm, but the 21-year-old forward from Shepparton has caught some eyes that matter in his first season at Geelong.
“As soon as we started training, a lot of the VFL coaches were saying, ‘Gee we might have something’,” Geelong VFL men’s team co-ordinator Nathan Tweddle said this week before Saturday’s curtain-raiser clash with Sandringham at GMHBA Stadium.
“He plays his role perfectly. He generally plays small but he can get up the ground and his defensive pressure is elite.”
Smith has booted 11 goals in nine games at VFL level, as well as averaging four tackles a game in a breakout season after Box Hill also tried to snare the goalsneak over summer.
He played his first two games in Geelong for Bell Park in the GFL. There he booted seven goals on debut and five in the next.
Not surprisingly, he has only appeared once more for Bell Park, and in that game he kicked six. The Dragons may not see him again.
“I said to him we saw him playing between three and five games for the season,” Tweddle said.
“But over the course of the pre-season he was the one who surprised us a fair bit, just with his ability to find goals and his skill level.
“There’s always one who jumps out of the box every year, and he’s certainly been that player for us this year.”
The playing group quickly dubbed Smith “Milney” due to his goal-smart similarities with former St Kilda small forward Stephen Milne.
Tweddle believes Smith’s “ceiling is really high”.
The VFL and AFL programs are closely aligned, and Smith is putting his name up in lights.
“We’re hopeful he sees it as a two or three-year thing to commit to at the VFL with an end goal of getting an opportunity at the highest level,” Tweddle said.
“More clubs are after those pressure forwards, and Geelong have been one to change their game style around the high half-forwards and the tackling pressure. Smithy does that really well. If he can take his game to another level, you’ll see him come on to the radar of not only our club but a lot of AFL clubs I’d say.”

How good am I... I know my football about players :cool::cool:

Geelong Cats: Luke Smith catches eyes in VFL with AFL qualities
The path is well trodden. Tom Stewart, Tom Atkins and Ryan Abbott are all Geelong VFL graduates now on the Cats’ AFL list.
Josh Conway, VFL, Geelong Advertiser
Subscriber only
|
July 11, 2019 5:12pm
THE path is well trodden.
Tom Stewart, Tom Atkins and Ryan Abbott are all Geelong VFL graduates now on the Cats’ AFL list.
And in a couple of years, we could be seeing another.

Luke Smith may only stand 177cm, but the 21-year-old forward from Shepparton has caught some eyes that matter in his first season at Geelong.
“As soon as we started training, a lot of the VFL coaches were saying, ‘Gee we might have something’,” Geelong VFL men’s team co-ordinator Nathan Tweddle said this week before Saturday’s curtain-raiser clash with Sandringham at GMHBA Stadium.
“He plays his role perfectly. He generally plays small but he can get up the ground and his defensive pressure is elite.”
Smith has booted 11 goals in nine games at VFL level, as well as averaging four tackles a game in a breakout season after Box Hill also tried to snare the goalsneak over summer.
He played his first two games in Geelong for Bell Park in the GFL. There he booted seven goals on debut and five in the next.
Not surprisingly, he has only appeared once more for Bell Park, and in that game he kicked six. The Dragons may not see him again.
“I said to him we saw him playing between three and five games for the season,” Tweddle said.
“But over the course of the pre-season he was the one who surprised us a fair bit, just with his ability to find goals and his skill level.
“There’s always one who jumps out of the box every year, and he’s certainly been that player for us this year.”
The playing group quickly dubbed Smith “Milney” due to his goal-smart similarities with former St Kilda small forward Stephen Milne.
Tweddle believes Smith’s “ceiling is really high”.
The VFL and AFL programs are closely aligned, and Smith is putting his name up in lights.
“We’re hopeful he sees it as a two or three-year thing to commit to at the VFL with an end goal of getting an opportunity at the highest level,” Tweddle said.
“More clubs are after those pressure forwards, and Geelong have been one to change their game style around the high half-forwards and the tackling pressure. Smithy does that really well. If he can take his game to another level, you’ll see him come on to the radar of not only our club but a lot of AFL clubs I’d say.”
LOL

Been saying this last weeks in the VFL thread Smith would be the next Atkins for us. They do read BF!

GO Catters

strauchnyy

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
The only situation we break-even with the whole TK thing is if we can get Coniglio.

We come out on top of we can get a couple R1s for TK, whilst getting Coniglio as FA (without trading).

Then get Cameron enxt year as a FA.

We'd be unstoppable.

2021 Round 1 side:

FB: Clark - Blicavs - Kola
HB: Stewart - Henry - O'Connor
C: Duncan - Coniglio - Fogarty
HF: Miers - Krueger - Dahlhaus
FF: Rohan - Cameron - Danger
Foll: Esava - Parfitt - Constable
Int: Tuohy - Atkins - Menegola - R1

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
year of the cat .. considering needs ... if he is rated highly I wonder if he gets past the Dogs ....

Sandy Dragon Fischer McAsey’s All Australian honour
He learned to kick by watching Nathan Buckley. His dad played one game for St Kilda but he’s a Doggies supporter. Meet the key position prospect who starred at the national Under 18 championships.

HE was back, he was forward, now he’s back.
Whatever position Fischer McAsey has taken up on the ground, he has advanced his football.

Now it can be said the Sandringham Dragon has taken another stride forward after his selection in the All Australian Under 18 team.

His performances for Vic Metro in four games at the national championships earned him the honour.

The 18-year-old Caulfield Grammar student was chosen as the centre half back, the Dragons’ sole representative in the line-up.

McAsey played as a key backman for the Victorian 12 years and under schoolboys team and for the South Metro league Under 13 representative side.

For the next few years he was a forward for his club and school teams.

At the instigation of coach Luke Power, a switch back to the backline came late last season in the AFL grand final exhibition game at the MCG. And McAsey has been used as a defender this season at the Dragons, where he’s coached by Josh Bourke, who just happened to coach him with the Vic schoolboys.

The only situation we break-even with the whole TK thing is if we can get Coniglio.

We come out on top of we can get a couple R1s for TK, whilst getting Coniglio as FA (without trading).

Then get Cameron enxt year as a FA.

We'd be unstoppable.

2021 Round 1 side:

FB: Clark - Blicavs - Kola
HB: Stewart - Henry - O'Connor
C: Duncan - Coniglio - Fogarty
HF: Miers - Krueger - Dahlhaus
FF: Rohan - Cameron - Danger
Foll: Esava - Parfitt - Constable
Int: Tuohy - Atkins - Menegola - R1
Jumping forward a couple of years?

I dare say that Hawkins will still be playing & lining up at FF (will re-sign during next season), while Selwood is still contracted & unless injured will be playing round 1 also.

Based on the changes we've seen this year, Clark most likely to line up on the wing - his moved from the defensive group to the midfield group & is now being mentored by Selwood. If they saw him long term as a defender I'd think they would have kept him there & he would have continued to be mentored by Stewart.

I'd hope Selwood, Hawkins and GAJ are still around in 2021. Not good news for us if they've all retired by then.
Ablett I see as a year on year thing

But Hawkins & Selwood I agree as still being part of the best 22

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't care what size a player is, but if they have a football brain and can play a position using his size it doesn't worry me not the slightest.
If they are good enough the size can be countered ..but its not often that someone is that good.. or there would be more players running around in the 160's or low 170's.

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
If they are good enough the size can be countered ..but its not often that someone is that good.. or there would be more players running around in the 160's or low 170's.
Which is sad, as there are that many good players at that size that do not get the chance at AFL, but the players who are at that size that are playing, are good players
Plus his 177cm, his not that small tbh

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Which is sad, as there are that many good players at that size that do not get the chance at AFL, but the players who are at that size that are playing, are good players
Plus his 177cm, his not that small tbh

imo..its neither sad or good etc... its like saying there are a lot more good players who are just too slow for afl.. or player that have the right size and all the talent and just cant handle the demands outside of the football field. If PollyF was around now he would be a Cripps type mid ..Tom Hawkins dad was a CHB but now he would have to play like Stewart or Henry,, and maybe if Gary A was playing today ..he would not be the player he was in his day..because of the style of todays game..

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
imo..its neither sad or good etc... its like saying there are a lot more good players who are just too slow for afl.. or player that have the right size and all the talent and just cant handle the demands outside of the football field. If PollyF was around now he would be a Cripps type mid ..Tom Hawkins dad was a CHB but now he would have to play like Stewart or Henry,, and maybe if Gary A was playing today ..he would not be the player he was in his day..because of the style of todays game..
I agree, but I still think Luke Smith could be a player we may rookie list like Tom Atkins was last year, Smith is a genuine small forward player that has the brain to play that position, I'd rather play a player like him in the forward line then play a Midfield player, as I'd rather play a player that plays that position. Not rocket science. Play the players that play that position,

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I agree, but I still think Luke Smith could be a player we may rookie list like Tom Atkins was last year, Smith is a genuine small forward player that has the brain to play that position, I'd rather play a player like him in the forward line then play a Midfield player, as I'd rather play a player that plays that position. Not rocket science. Play the players that play that position,
Again ..have no seen enough to say no.. so if the club does then fine anotehr example for aspiring players to consider playing for our VFL side...

strauchnyy

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Jumping forward a couple of years?

I dare say that Hawkins will still be playing & lining up at FF (will re-sign during next season), while Selwood is still contracted & unless injured will be playing round 1 also.

Based on the changes we've seen this year, Clark most likely to line up on the wing - his moved from the defensive group to the midfield group & is now being mentored by Selwood. If they saw him long term as a defender I'd think they would have kept him there & he would have continued to be mentored by Stewart.

Pretty sure Clark was squeezed out of the black line on touhy’s return. Just can’t fit that many defenders so pushed to a wing where we don’t realky have much competition for a run and carry outside player.

Long term he is more suited as a hbf quarterback in the enright mould. Would be surprised if he ended up a mid. Reads the play so well in the back half, good overhead and rebounds well.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I think we can use Clark in a wojo role of breaking the lines with his run, it would be a great get to have cogs but think Hawks have him snapped up, who knows what we get for TK

Hopefully nothing... hopefully he stays ... as much as id love to add a couple of early picks .. odds are that no one gets to what TK is giving us now.

If we end up with P16-P22 ish .. then it gives us a chance to get another kid that can add to us how Clark has. ..become a regular best 22 type. One would think Copper Stephens would be there at that pick.

Cockarfitt ..it would be funny if we add a Steven and Stephens .. that will mess up a commentator or two... one singular one plural , one with a v one with a p...

Gd thread open!!!

Get around it!!

Go Catters

I'd prefer we trade the current year one into next year and take 4 tradeable 1sts to the trade table next year

I like the idea but its not what i expect the club will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back