Rumour GFC 2020 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WARNING TO ALL VISITORS TO THE GEELONG BOARD. You are - for the most part - welcome to discuss the current list management & trading situation at Geelong. However, this is our board, so be respectful of the home board posters & don't inflame arguments (make your points succinctly and move on). And if you're just here to troll, then don't bother or you will be enjoying a holiday

Interest article by Cal on the draft

North, Haw, and WCE all offered F2nds to Richmond for pick 20. slightly less than our offer especially Nths offer. Rich wanted Collingwoods F1st but they said no meaning ours was slightly the best offer on the table. Bottom line was there was plenty of competition for it so it was market value

The lengthy article on the draft first round didn’t mention one other single club interested in Holmes even with picks in the early 20s. Even Angwin who was a shock at 18 was mentioned as going to Melb forcing the Giants to pick him there. I’d love to know where the Cats had him ranked. You would assume inside the top 12 to spend that capital.

Mentioned clubs deliberately not interviewing players these days as a tactic.

Everything I have read indicates that Melbourne would have taken Holmes at 21 or 22, so we jumped in as a result.

I also noted that Edps and Knightmare had Holmes mid 20's in the draft.....

Joel up to 300 plus games, traditionally a tough to achieve benchmark at Geelong . 2020 was a short season with less games... how will 22 game s 20 minutes a q affect him..

Will 2021 be his last year?

I would be surprised if that was the case....I expect he will relinquish the captaincy first before retirement...and to a degree "mentor" the new captain in for a season..(Stewart/Duncan??)

Whatever, it will be Joel's call..

I would be surprised if that was the case....I expect he will relinquish the captaincy first before retirement...and to a degree "mentor" the new captain in for a season..(Stewart/Duncan??)

Whatever, it will be Joel's call..
Has worked for Boak. Looks a different man

Joel up to 300 plus games, traditionally a tough to achieve benchmark at Geelong . 2020 was a short season with less games... how will 22 game s 20 minutes a q affect him..

Will 2021 be his last year?

If we win the flag i think him and a few others will retire...if not he may want to go around again but only if the body is willing.

If we win the flag i think him and a few others will retire...if not he may want to go around again but only if the body is willing.

Love the player he has been but I dont want him playing when he gets a bit slow and starts to sound like a boxer that has gone 3 fights too many. I have no idea what he would be interested in post footy .. but would it surprise if it was something football related. Coaching?

Love the player he has been but I dont want him playing when he gets a bit slow and starts to sound like a boxer that has gone 3 fights too many. I have no idea what he would be interested in post footy .. but would it surprise if it was something football related. Coaching?
Send him to be an assistant at Richmond for a year then come back. Like with Mitchell at the Hawks/WCE

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your criteria is unnecessarily strict. No team in the top 4 this year even had a natural first selection in the top 20 to begin with. There's also no reason to discount SDK. He's a selection inside the top 20 even though he wasn't the first called. Clark got a full year of footy out too, so 2 out of the 4 1st rounders we've recently selected had full years of u18s.
I took SDK because i know he will be good my point is Wells has picked some crap players with our first pick....T Selwood should have first picks then Wells can take over

Pretty ridiculous comment, to be honest. Wells drafts the best player at our pick. If they've had an injury then obviously he, and the club, believes it won't impact the player's career. Thurlow getting slammed into a bike track didn't impact his career, Selwood's knee didn't impact his. You're also saying Wells does it "year after year", he's done it four times in the past ten drafts (Stephens, Cockatoo, Lang, Thurlow). Hardly a pattern.

He also took Fogarty, TK, SDK, and Parfitt with relatively early picks in that time who each had no injury history.
Chuck in Brown Smdts or don't you count them as if effects your crap post

Why? Showed his true colours in the GF

Trolling again??? You're in no position to wear yet another infraction unless you're seeking a lengthy "holiday" over the New Year.

Some people never learn.

Pretty ridiculous comment, to be honest. Wells drafts the best player at our pick. If they've had an injury then obviously he, and the club, believes it won't impact the player's career. Thurlow getting slammed into a bike track didn't impact his career, Selwood's knee didn't impact his. You're also saying Wells does it "year after year", he's done it four times in the past ten drafts (Stephens, Cockatoo, Lang, Thurlow). Hardly a pattern.

He also took Fogarty, TK, SDK, and Parfitt with relatively early picks in that time who each had no injury history.

I basically agree with you, can I just add Im not sure he does always pick the best player at our pick... he picks the player who he thinks will be the best player. Sometimes that falls short but its a futures game. Its why I suspect the put a lot of faith into the person as much as the player.Yes Sometimes you get shown up not picking the right player.. probably just the cost of trying for the most upside in his estimation.

Last edited:
Deserves? Due to his aflpa stuff or on field?

Id say our best captains in recent years have not always been our best players. Hard to know without seeing inside the club.

Danger speaks very well and leads by example like no other player at Geelong that I can remember (aside from Joel). I think it would be a travesty if he wasn't the next captain.

Danger speaks very well and leads by example like no other player at Geelong that I can remember (aside from Joel). I think it would be a travesty if he wasn't the next captain.

He deserves to be but at his age he would only be a short term skipper like ling was. Its about whether we want to do that or give it to a longer term young player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back