Rumour GFC 2020 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WARNING TO ALL VISITORS TO THE GEELONG BOARD. You are - for the most part - welcome to discuss the current list management & trading situation at Geelong. However, this is our board, so be respectful of the home board posters & don't inflame arguments (make your points succinctly and move on). And if you're just here to troll, then don't bother or you will be enjoying a holiday

There's no problem questioning him. That much would be expected. And it's a standard to which I have no doubt Wells would hold himself, given the calibre of the man.

It's the nonsensical and knee-jerk melting that goes on when matters don't appear to be running as some here believe they should that is hard to stomach.

Gets some wrong, for sure. And has plenty of mates in that regard across the AFL. But has basically been in top form again in recent years, considering the comp-worst picks he's been offered up to work with for so long. There's not many people in any field I can think of who have been as good for as long as one S. Wells.

IWWT.
Of course.

Don't miss the hyperbole and its purpose, mate. ;)

Didn't we overlook Brodie Kemp because of his knee reco when he was ours for the taking? 🤔

Darcy Lang .
Mez.

Not much luck with those 2 after their injuries.

Fwiw i know nothing on Kemps.

Depends at what pick..in the top 10 no but in the 20s/30s its worth taking a risk on the talent that good..id rank him in the top 10 on talent.
It's fairly binary though. Either his knee lets him play or it doesn't. If it does he's top 10 sure but that's a long shot and if it doesn't then he doesn't even merit the pick 27.

The media I've read seems to read that we've put the most work into him. They may have just verified that yep, this kid has a cooked knee and we should move on.

Kid can play but realistically how many men let alone kids make it after two ACLs to the same knee. It’s a romantic story but an incredible risk.
I don't see any of our current picks as particularly valuable so with either 27 or 51 sure go your hardest.

But yeah, I wouldn't expect him to have a career. Would be a pleasant surprise

Bit over us looking at kids with significant injury histories. Sure it worked with Selwood, but since then Lang and Cockatoo have been absolute busts coming off disrupted U18 seasons. Stephens also with a broken leg in his draft year so we'll see how that turns out. But two ACL's prior to playing AFL I wouldn't think would bode well.

From what I personally have heard and know about him, I would be surprised if he ever got onto an AFL list again. Although I was surprised he was on one in the first place.

Im not advocating we look at him... but in general... if the only thing was ratpack stuff years ago. now 28..one would think he is a lot more mature. ... and the stories I heard before we recruited Dahlhaus means we are not scared away based on party exploits.

but ... at out stage of list build ..we need to find a kid who can possibly grow with new group. a kid who has leadership and grunt ... and by what I have read id rater picks a kid like Pedlar than someone like JB.

Didn't we overlook Brodie Kemp because of his knee reco when he was ours for the taking? 🤔

Did we decide the risk of a R1 pick for Kemp was too high ? Perhaps ... but if we are thinking a player would have been top 5... but now can be picked much later but has a knee question hanging over him... sort of different level of risk.
First most , if not any kid we pick will be years away from giving us anything. Second our side is so strong that most drafted players will struggle to break in...
..so its clubs like Rich and Geelong etc that can take risks on players. Could come up snake eyes but if the club has done its research and likes the risk then fine.

My only concern is we are not talking a 197cm star CHF ..Baldwyn is more the 193 size..

It only seems like yesterday that one could look thru several opposition boards.. the smiling and choffs , the almost euphoric joy was apparent ..that we had to give up all its picks for Cameron. He he. suck eggs... hahahahah

and now , perhaps the same boards, perhaps different , the gumbles and gripes, the bitter bile of resentment that Geelong managed to obtain the Gold Coast pick for a Fr3..... AFL arte rubbish giving GC kids for nothing .. blahblabla

Geelong musty be doing someyhing very right to build up such discernible animosity , some posts are reasonable but some almost drip with venom .... makes one laugh. I can only imagine the vibe if Geelong managed to get a gun with the pick. ... so over to you SWells .. pick a gem

Im not advocating we look at him... but in general... if the only thing was ratpack stuff years ago. now 28..one would think he is a lot more mature. ... and the stories I heard before we recruited Dahlhaus means we are not scared away based on party exploits.

but ... at out stage of list build ..we need to find a kid who can possibly grow with new group. a kid who has leadership and grunt ... and by what I have read id rater picks a kid like Pedlar than someone like JB.
Bolton hasn't been invited to a single draft combine or state screening in 11 years. Despite the numbers he puts up in state leagues, clubs consistently show an unwillingness to draft him. Even Marlion Pickett (same age) was drafted despite putting up worse numbers in the WAFL and spending time in jail. And yet no-one will touch Bolton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d say Freo will go for Henry, with the aim of swapping him for Clark in a couple of years.

Possible although i think some of the WA crop will really interest them at their first pick.

Bolton hasn't been invited to a single draft combine or state screening in 11 years. Despite the numbers he puts up in state leagues, clubs consistently show an unwillingness to draft him. Even Marlion Pickett (same age) was drafted despite putting up worse numbers in the WAFL and spending time in jail. And yet no-one will touch Bolton.

Just tells me his X is not worth the Y... if he was a better player then I suspect he would be contacted ... its not like he has not been observed

For all those who blamed our medicos and physios for player recovery problems, they've all just walked according to the addy.
Right on pre season. Guess we'll find out

Happening across a lot of clubs atm. With the soft cap reductions the medicos can earn far more working privately than within the AFL system. My brother recently resigned from a Melbourne based club when asked whether he could work effectively pro bono 2 days a week! Going to be a real issue going forward with the AFL.

Happening across a lot of clubs atm. With the soft cap reductions the medicos can earn far more working privately than within the AFL system. My brother recently resigned from a Melbourne based club when asked whether he could work effectively pro bono 2 days a week! Going to be a real issue going forward with the AFL.

I suspect they'll be changes to the soft cap in short order

Utter crap. Its not an amo comp... let them trim it in other area but not health and safety

From Facebook:

Those delisted players vying for the National draft:

Paddy McCartin (St Kilda)

Paul Ahern (North Melbourne)

Flynn Appleby (Collingwood)

Josh Begley (Essendon)

Hamish Brayshaw (West Coast Eagles)

Wylie Buzza (Port Adelaide)

Hugh Dixon (Fremantle)

Ben Crocker (Adelaide)

Dylan Clarke (Essendon)

Kyle Dunkley (Melbourne)

Derek Eggmolesse-Smith (Richmond)

Luke English (Richmond)

Zac Foot (Sydney)

Will Golds (Hawthorn)

Billy Gowers (Western Bulldogs)

Martin Gleeson (Essendon)

Noah Gown (Essendon)

Fergus Greene (Western Bulldogs)

Mitch Hibberd (Essendon)

Lachie Hosie (North Melbourne)

Michael Knoll (Sydney Swans)

Doulton Langlands (St Kilda)

Brad Lynch (Western Bulldogs)

Callum Moore (Carlton)

Darren Minchington (Hawthorn)

Tom Murphy (North Melbourne)

Finbar O’Dwyer (Carlton)

Mitch O’Neill (West Coast Eagles)

Myles Poholke (Adelaide)

Jarvis Pina (Fremantle)

Sam Reid (GWS)

Harry Reynolds (Carlton)

Brady Rowles (Sydney)

Matthew Scharenberg (Collingwood)

Sam Skinner (Brisbane)

Roarke Smith (Western Bulldogs)

Zach Sproule (GWS)

Ayce Taylor (Sydney)

Corey Wagner (Melbourne)

Matthew Walker (Hawthorn)

Mason Wood (North Melbourne)

The 2020 AFL national draft will take place on Wednesday the 9th of December.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back