Rumour GFC 2020 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting into the 2020 year we need a place to discuss all this...

TK is gone and the first of the fruits of his trade have been selected.

Who else will we get?

In Cameron a possiblity?

Who in the FA world should we be talking to given these things are in the works 12 months ahead.

Get it all here

GO Catters

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes its a fair way off and 2019 has just finished however..

SWells has loaded us for the 2020 draft /trade period ... with 3R1 picks ... we may have something like P11 , P14 , P17 and P35 ... before bids. And thats the rub... there is much constination about what the FatherSon and Academy linked players will do to the 2020 draft... Compromised is the buzz word. Could P11 end up in the 30's .. will we get value from the 3 R1 picks if we take them to draft. Add that we have already been linked in 2019 to a couple of big name FA types we will probably be looking at a very big Draft /Tradeand rumor period.....

The traditional Footy Factory of the Falcons had a quiet year in 2019 yet we still took one as our first pick. There is no doubt we will take locals if their talent and dedication is up to it . So looking forward then .. reading this article morning was at least heartening , giving one some hope that Swells is again ahead of the game and 2020 will have talent for us to pick .....

Bumper 2020 Geelong Falcons crop set to better 2001 draft
THE Geelong Falcons are preparing for a bumper crop at next year’s AFL Draft, with experts predicting the club could rival its 2001 haul when it produced seven of the top 40 picks.

THE Geelong Falcons are preparing for a bumper crop at next year’s AFL Draft, with experts predicting the club could rival its 2001 haul when it produced seven of the top 40 picks.

After having just one player selected in this year’s drafts, 2020 looms as one of the most productive in the club’s history.

Tanner Bruhn, Noah Gadsby, Noah Gribble, Cam Fleeton, Oliver Henry, Charlie Lazzaro, Toby Conway and Henry Walsh are among the bumper crop that will be on recruiters’ radars next year.

Part of the reason for the anticipated surge in draftees is that so many of the best players from this year’s team were bottom-aged players.

It means AFL clubs will be monitoring the progress of the Falcons closely next season.

“I spoke to the kids about this the other night, we won the premiership in 2000 and probably had about 12 players drafted across the two years because some were 17 and some were 18,” Falcons talent manager Michael Turner said.

“In 2017 we won the premiership again and in 2017 and 2018 we had about 12 again drafted over those two years.

“This is a little bit different because next year they are all going to be top-age players, so it is a little unique.

“I think 2001 is the biggest and most successful draft we have ever had with Luke Hodge going number one (and having seven in the top 40), but I think we will challenge that.”

The Falcons have started pre-season training and will be expected to push up the ladder next year following a season that focused heavily on development of 17-year-old players.

Late-bloomer Jack Sarcevic, who missed out on the draft but was tested recently by Fremantle, is likely to return to the Falcons next year as a 19-year-old.

Gribble will spend next year in rehab after suffering a serious knee injury at training last week.

Turner said while he felt there were no clear standouts yet, he believes his class of 2020 will benefit from their NAB League exposure this year.

“The Vic Country hub at this stage for next year’s national championships has 30 players selected and we have eight in there, so we have some really good players,” Turner said.

“In saying that, though, we put a lot of work in the second half of this year into getting games into those kids.

“Those boys have still got to get the job done, but in my 25 years’ experience I think next year we will have a very good team.

“The thing that might hurt us is we will have a lot of our players playing for Geelong College and Geelong Grammar, so they will be missing for a while, but I think we will have a very good side and we will have a very strong draft.

“There is about 10 of them and four boys have already played for Australia at the MCG on grand final day, in Ollie Henry, Jack Henry’s brother, Tanner Bruhn, Henry Walsh, Sam Walsh’s brother, and Noah Gribble.

“But in my opinion there are many more who are very good players, so we have to let it play out.”

BORIS332

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Starting this as per Drunkcat's recommendation, so as to not hijack other threads. Also, now that we have the pre-season supplemental selection period, mid-season draft, etc. it is pretty much a full-year affair. Mods, feel free to remove if necessary.

BORIS332

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
For those interested, here are the players considered to be the top prospect in 2020's draft. I'm happy to update this as the year goes on, if there is interest.

NameStateClubHtWtAcademy
Braeden CampbellNSWSydney Swans Academy17871Sydney Swans Academy
Errol GuldenNSWSydney Swans Academy17370Sydney Swans Academy
Joshua GreenNSWGWS Academy19184GWS Academy
Alex DaviesQLDGold Coast Academy19080Gold Coast Academy
Blake ColemanQLDBrisbane Lions Academy18075Brisbane Lions Academy
Carter MichaelQLDBrisbane Lions Academy187Brisbane Lions Academy
Joel JeffreyQLDGold Coast Academy18975Gold Coast Academy
Saxon CrozierQLDBrisbane Lions Academy18580Brisbane Lions Academy
Archie PerkinsSASandringham Dragons18587
Corey DurdinSACentral Districts17370
Darby HipwellSASandringham Dragons18178
Henry SmithSAWoodville West Torrens20282
Jake BoweySASandringham Dragons17365
James BorlaseSASturt19188Adelaide NGA/Port F/S
Jamison MurphySANorth Adelaide18182
Kaine BaldwinSAGlenelg19289Adelaide NGA
Lachlan JonesSAWoodville West Torrens18485
Luke EdwardsSAGlenelg18779Adelaide F/S
Riley ThilthorpeSAWest Adelaide19996
Taj SchofieldSAWoodville West Torrens17774Port Adelaide F/S
Zac DumesnySASouth Adelaide18677
Brodie LakeVICNorthern Territory18670
Cameron FleetonVICGeelong Falcons18976
Charlie ByrneVICMurray Bushrangers18278
Charlie LazzaroVICGeelong Falcons17773
Clayton GayVICDandenong Stingrays18371
Cody BrandVICCalder Cannons19581Essendon NGA
Connor DownieVICEastern Ranges18381Hawthorn NGA
Connor StoneVICOakleigh Chargers18678
Cooper BarberaVICNorthern Knights17361
Cooper SmithVICBendigo18165
Deakyn SmithVICDandenong Stingrays17965Melbourne NGA
Dominic BedendoVICMurray Bushrangers18567
Eddie FordVICWestern Jets18680
Elijah HollandsVICMurray Bushrangers18880
Ethan BaxterVICMurray Bushrangers19279Richmond NGA
Ewan MacPhersonVICNorthern Knights17882Western Bulldogs NGA
Finlay MacraeVICOakleigh Chargers18473
Flynn LakeyVICCalder Cannons17170
Fraser ElliotVICOakleigh Chargers18786
Gennaro BoveVICGeelong Falcons17575
Giorgio VaragiannisVICOakleigh Chargers17573
Harry SharpVICGreat Western Victoria18070
Heath RamshawVICNorthern Knights180
Henry WalshVICGeelong Falcons20184
Jack EvansVICBendigo18270
Jack GinnivanVICBendigo18073
Jack TilligVICGreat Western Victoria18581
Jackson CallowVICTasmania19394
Jackson CardilloVICCalder Cannons18577
Jai NealVICDandenong Stingrays19180
Jamarra Ugle-HaganVICOakleigh Chargers19479Western Bulldogs NGA
Josh ClarkeVICEastern Ranges18165
Josh EyreVICCalder Cannons19480
Josh TreacyVICBendigo19288
Josh WatsonVICNorthern Knights18074
Kobi GeorgeVICDandenong Stingrays18271Melbourne NGA
Liam McMahonVICNorthern Knights19378
Lochlan JenkinsVICOakleigh Chargers17776
Nick StevensVICGreat Western Victoria19186Western Bulldogs NGA
Nikolas CoxVICNorthern Knights19780
Noah GribbleVICGeelong Falcons17968
Oliver DavisVICTasmania18175
Oliver HenryVICGeelong Falcons18672
Ollie LordVICSandringham Dragons19580
Patrick WalkerVICTasmania18577
Reef McInnesVICOakleigh Chargers19183Collingwood NGA
Ryan AngwinVICGippsland Power18162
Salele FeagaimaliiVICEastern Ranges18699Hawthorn NGA
Sam BerryVICGippsland Power18082
Sam CollinsVICTasmania18779
Tanner BruhnVICGeelong Falcons18273
Thomas McMahonVICNorthern Knights18170
Thomas PanuccioVICMurray Bushrangers17973
Wil ParkerVICEastern Ranges18076
Will HoweVICDandenong Stingrays18985
Will PhillipsVICOakleigh Chargers17978
Zach ReidVICGippsland Power20077
Zavier MaherVICMurray Bushrangers18382
Blake MorrisWASubiaco18880
Brandon WalkerWAEast Fremantle17970Fremantle NGA
Denver Grainger-BarrassWASwan Districts19277
Heath ChapmanWAWest Perth19375
Ira JettaWASouth Fremantle17372
Jack CarrollWAEast Fremantle18571
Joel WesternWAClaremont17263Fremantle NGA
Logan McDonaldWAPerth19284
Nathan O'DriscollWAPerth18275
Shannon NealeWASouth Fremantle19881
Zane TrewWASwan Districts18481

The primary question I have is what are our 3 first rounders worth? Here is a couple of hours of listening on the topic for anyone interested where they discuss the value of the draft, how it compares to other drafts, how the academies are likely to shape it, and who the best prospects look like at this stage.

Will be interesting listening to this one after the draft to see what they got right

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Add Caldwell to those 3 and it would be a handy haul.

3 Falcons is probably a dream... my guess is 3 draft picks , a traded in player and a FA. No idea on details yet but I suspect if we have the chance to add a 25 FRA mid that comes in and is in our best 10 players we would look hard at it. Who knows what we will need yet... we only know who will probably be off the list in the next 3 years.. and thats a lot of talent to potentially lose ...so I suspect we will ry to add pnp as much as draft picks. We have done it just about every year since Danger ..so I cant see us changing. Would Caldwell be a good trade in potentially... be a few that would fit the bill. As long at the bill is not to high ..im fine with that.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
3 Falcons is probably a dream... my guess is 3 draft picks , a traded in player and a FA. No idea on details yet but I suspect if we have the chance to add a 25 FRA mid that comes in and is in our best 10 players we would look hard at it. Who knows what we will need yet... we only know who will probably be off the list in the next 3 years.. and thats a lot of talent to potentially lose ...so I suspect we will ry to add pnp as much as draft picks. We have done it just about every year since Danger ..so I cant see us changing. Would Caldwell be a good trade in potentially... be a few that would fit the bill. As long at the bill is not to high ..im fine with that.

A nice dream nevertheless. No go home factor. And taking them in a season where they are (expected) to perform well. Do you see B.Crouch as a potential target?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
A nice dream nevertheless. No go home factor. And taking them in a season where they are (expected) to perform well. Do you see B.Crouch as a potential target?

Potential ? Id say there would be a solid number of players on swells list ..crouch would be one if he doesn't sign. Id say outside still maybe something we lack on big ground..so maybe Gaff as well. at some stage a new FA lis will come out.. and then players sign ... so one probably needs a wide range of potential targets this time of the year.

Crouch is a hard player to put a hat on... not worth what he was asking at stages. .. I doubt we will be offering a godfather offer to him

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I just don't think Caldwell is a likely GFC target. He's only played two games, when was the last time we traded in such an unproven player? Caddy would be the closest?

True. We've never appeared to look to pick off any of the GWS players. But they clearly won't be able to keep them all. You'd think that with our draft position next year we would be the club best able to facilitate a deal for one of them. That's assuming of course that he wants to leave.

BORIS332

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
True. We've never appeared to look to pick off any of the GWS players. But they clearly won't be able to keep them all. You'd think that with our draft position next year we would be the club best able to facilitate a deal for one of them. That's assuming of course that he wants to leave.

I think with our current list profile we’d be targeting players in the 22-25 age bracket. No one on GWS list that really fits that bill and that is also out of contract end of 2020.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I think with our current list profile we’d be targeting players in the 22-25 age bracket. No one on GWS list that really fits that bill and that is also out of contract end of 2020.

Maybe. I think it depends on the individual. One 22 year old could be less physically developed (ie Z.Guthrie) than a 20 year old. I wouldn't be dismissing Caldwell on the basis of age. The fact that he was able to break into the GWS side albeit for only a few games this year is a pretty good sign. See how he goes in 2020.

Early call but I think going after an exceptionally big fish in trade would be a bad idea. Experience shows that if you're trading in a player that is a lynchpin of the list then the opposite number will demand literally everything you have in trade. The pick value of trades in recent years has often been set by what the buyer has, not what the player is worth. Better top rock up crying poor than to be rich talking down values

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Early call but I think going after an exceptionally big fish in trade would be a bad idea. Experience shows that if you're trading in a player that is a lynchpin of the list then the opposite number will demand literally everything you have in trade. The pick value of trades in recent years has often been set by what the buyer has, not what the player is worth. Better top rock up crying poor than to be rich talking down values

What player are you thinking about ? Be a heck of a player to take all we have..

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
You are better off tapping someone up and getting them to nominate you when you don't have anything much to trade. See Tom Mitchell and Tim Kelly.

When you have stuff the other team is going to want it all and you will have to pay a premium to get it done.

well he would cost zero ... Cameron is probably as close a comparison available...
He would have been matched if the suns could have got something better than the compo.

I probably also overstepped the mark I saying everything we had. I'm more trying to say that if there opportunity to overpay is there it will happen

BORIS332

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
You are better off tapping someone up and getting them to nominate you when you don't have anything much to trade. See Tom Mitchell and Tim Kelly.

When you have stuff the other team is going to want it all and you will have to pay a premium to get it done.

I disagree. With the big trades in recent years it has been the team that acquired the star player that has won out, not the team that received two/three first round picks. See Dangerfield, Neale, Treloar, Tom Mitchell, etc.

Even with the Lachie Weller trade it seemed at the time that Gold Coast giving up pick #2 was overpaying, but Freo selected Andrew Brayshaw with that pick and he hasn't shown much to suggest he'll be a star.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I disagree. With the big trades in recent years it has been the team that acquired the star player that has won out, not the team that received two/three first round picks. See Dangerfield, Neale, Treloar, Tom Mitchell, etc.

Even with the Lachie Weller trade it seemed at the time that Gold Coast giving up pick #2 was overpaying, but Freo selected Andrew Brayshaw with that pick and he hasn't shown much to suggest he'll be a star.

I think there would be examples of the other way but generally Id say it slants the way you have mentioned.. Has the Ess trades and Beams been good ones? Not sure. JOM ..jury still out ? I think in general the FA mechanism has made trade cheaper in most instances..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back