Rumour GFC 2020 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Some of the quality melts for your viewing pleasure from from that HS Cameron article. :D :drunk: :drunk: More salt than Cheetham. Andrew seems to be swigging heavily on the Haterade.

scott

5 hours ago

As a neutral supporter, picking who you want to win this year's Grand Final is like voting in an election between Dan Andrews and Dan Andrews. Both very unlikeable.
thumb_up16
Replyreply
-------------------

Kevin

5 hours ago

What an absolute travesty the AFL system is It is just full of crap so much for the salary cap as an equalisation method and we have payers on enormous salaries going to the rich clubs so really it is of no benefit in having it
thumb_up6
Replyreply

-----------------------------------
Andrew

5 hours ago
(Edited)

There’ll be a lot of Cats taking the field this weekend who know that the Cameron bid means they’re playing their last game for the club who doesn’t value them and/or they’re about to take a pay cut. This might be the dumbest move ever at the Cattery. The Cats just lost the GF.
thumb_up4
Replyreply

-------

Andrew

17 hours ago

Anyone but Geelong. I hate Geelong (that's a backhanded compliment, since they're simply a very good team). With Cameron in their stocks, give them the 2021 Cup now.
thumb_up1
Replyreply

--------------------------------

Andrew

5 hours ago
(Edited)

Cameron will stay at the Giants. The Cattery is going to go into full meltdown when they see what the Giants demand for him. And just to be crystal clear on that point, it’s DEMAND, not ASK. And if the Cats don’t want to play, no big deal for the Giants.
thumb_up7
Replyreply
-------------------------

Paul

7 hours ago

I didn't think Geelong could be more unlikeable. I was wrong.
thumb_up10
Replyreply

--------------

Paul

11 hours ago

GWS should match offer and say Geelong has nothing suitable to trade (unless they do) - then deal directly with Collingwood for trade either Grundy or de Goey (plus swap trade picks to even it out). Otherwise don’t pack your bag
thumb_up3
Replyreply

----------

CatsDoItBetter

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Doesn’t mean it will go this way but it doesn’t make sense for the giants to match. If they want players then after compo picks they will have probably have 3 first round picks and another 1 or 2 late 1st or early 2nd round picks.
I’m sure they can easily trade some of those picks for a couple of quality players and still go to the draft.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Got to say, that although it's great for Geelong that we've landed Cameron, I don't reckon it's great for the competition. For Richmond and Geelong to land two of the best key forwards whilst they are premiership players isn't great. I'm sure if I was a North or Demons fan I'd be that little bit more disillusioned with the game.

Sep 29, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Got to say, that although it's great for Geelong that we've landed Cameron, I don't reckon it's great for the competition. For Richmond and Geeong to land two of the best key forwards whilst they are premiership players isn't great. I'm sure if I was a North or Demons fan I'd be that little bit more disillusioned with the game.

Can see your point but that speaks more about those clubs and culture not getting it right. Why penalise those that are doing a great job. Its not their fault.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Can see your point but that speaks more about those clubs and culture not getting it right. Why penalise those that are doing a great job. Its not their fault.

I reckon there's only a handful of decent AFL administrators going around. There's a lot of trash. Boys clubs that refuse to modernise and bring people in from outside their bubbles. I think the weaker clubs do need to examine why they fail. Generally it's through poor leadership and development. Poor culture. Poor communication between players and coaches, coaches and administration. This generation need to be treated differently to previous ones. They can see through the bullshit. Through the politics. And they don't tolerate it.

BUT, good players make good clubs. As good players make good coaches. If we allow a system that sees the good players able to move to the leading clubs year after year not much will change for a while. And that risks disaffecting a generation of young footy fans.

BigCat1

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
Got to say, that although it's great for Geelong that we've landed Cameron, I don't reckon it's great for the competition. For Richmond and Geelong to land two of the best key forwards whilst they are premiership players isn't great. I'm sure if I was a North or Demons fan I'd be that little bit more disillusioned with the game.
Let’s have this debate if it happens that way.

Lucky good old Rich got there’s for free. We look like trading Tim Kelly for ours.

Imagine Rich If they had to give away Prestia or Vlaustin to get Lynch. Probably be playing Port this week for a start.

On what planet are those the same. More media driven “stories”. Ones free agency. The other one is a run on the mill trade

Sep 29, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
I reckon there's only a handful of decent AFL administrators going around. There's a lot of trash. Boys clubs that refuse to modernise and bring people in from outside their bubbles. I think the weaker clubs do need to examine why they fail. Generally it's through poor leadership and development. Poor culture. Poor communication between players and coaches, coaches and administration. This generation need to be treated differently to previous ones. They can see through the bullshit. Through the politics. And they don't tolerate it.

BUT, good players make good clubs. As good players make good coaches. If we allow a system that sees the good players able to move to the leading clubs year after year not much will change for a while. And that risks disaffecting a generation of young footy fans.

True but good clubs attract good players so again if they get it right those good players won't necessarily leave and they will attract other good players.

My contact (a family friend) said he loves Geelong and doesn't want to leave (could have for more money at the Dogs) but he's still unsigned and in the negotiating stage.

Dogs are sniffing around again.

He's a very loyal kid and wants to forge a career at the Cats. At the end of the day money does talk if it's substantial enough.
Reckon his next pay packet might have gone up 20-30% over the past few weeks. Good on him.

BigCat1

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
Did notice this on another thread

“ If any team matches a RFA contract and can't afford it, they breach rule 28.3. They've exceeded their TPP and the AFL GC can "void" the matched offer”

If Cameron is getting 850-900k as reported today in the HS and the Giants offer capped out at 750k it makes a mockery of the whole system that they can then match.

Last edited:

Commando

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man Utd, AC Milan, Wolfsburg,

and when North were winning premierships our Captain walked out
The wheel turns

Did notice this on another the thread

“ If any team matches a RFA contract and can't afford it, they breach rule 28.3. They've exceeded their TPP and the AFL GC can "void" the matched offer”

If Cameron is getting 850-900k as reported today in the HS and the Giants offer capped out at 750k it makes a mockery of the whole system that they can then match.
Yes if only offered a reported 750K then match a bid of 850K if I was Jeremy Cameron I would seriously be asking my club why they are lowballing me in the first place, especially after losing half a mil this season.

Mate it's no different to the 70's and 80's (before salary cap) when teams Like Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon and the like could buy who they wanted.

Not our fault though thats an aflpa thing.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Ok we havnt landed him yet.

Remember deledio nominated us once and he never got to us. players dont always get to the team they nominate.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Let’s have this debate if it happens that way.

Lucky good old Rich got there’s for free. We look like trading Tim Kelly for ours.

Imagine Rich If they had to give away Prestia or Vlaustin to get Lynch. Probably be playing Port this week for a start.

On what planet are those the same. More media driven “stories”. Ones free agency. The other one is a run on the mill trade

That's another vagary of the system. GC don't match purely because their ladder position that year allowed them to get a high pick. We aren't quite as lucky (or seem not to be if the reports of GWS matching are true). The whole system needs a review and shake up. You either have FA or you don't. And if you do then should compensation be given? Should the top 4 clubs in a given year be entitled to raid the lower clubs wares?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
What would Tom Atkins trade value be?

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

Is it different to other professional sport ? We cant weld players to clubs..players have always moved from club to club.. the mechanics might be different

Im sure North fans were yippee when they were signing Polec and the others. Melb have grabbed players as well... it gets down to if you think your team benifits

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
What would Tom Atkins trade value be?
Higher than Savs

Do you think that was good? I agree that it's fast heading that way.
Not at all. I'd personally force every club to trade for any player that comes to them under FA. No compo, no matching. If a player who qualifies for FA wants to come to your club you have to work out a suitable deal dependent on the wage they're coming for. In the case of Cameron - two first round picks.

It stops clubs from getting big names every year and it also stops them from picking up young talent via the draft. Eventually the comp will even itself out.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Is it different to other professional sport ? We cant weld players to clubs..players have always moved from club to club.. the mechanics might be different

Im sure North fans were yippee when they were signing Polec and the others. Melb have grabbed players as well... it gets down to if you think your team benifits

I'm too much of a bleeding heart I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back