Rumour GFC 2020 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with all that except no draft. Its imperfect but for the sake of equalisation i think we need it.

I am aware of what it potentially would do ..it would take out equalisation at the primnary level..and equalisation would have to be redressed elsehwere. For example if we thing Geelong could sign the best kid from the geelong area each year ..imagine what West Coast could do. .... but if you accept that atm the draft is inequity personified. Some players get to have multiple choices on destination and others who have no nga or or FA just get told to go somewhere

Id like to know more about the NRL system..they do not have a draft.,..yet. the Storm seem to be strong each year.

..and if the kids dont want to stay equalisation gos out the door and creates potential flood ..we are basically just build a system thats like living in a flood plain ..hoping it doesn't rain

Last edited:
I agree with all that except no draft. Its imperfect but for the sake of equalisation i think we need it.

I think equalisation would be better served by having a variable cap based on finishing position. I'd have full free agency.

Cap is broken into two parts
1) Amount which must be spent on players on your list, for the top team this might 97% for the bottom team this might be 85%
2) Amount that can be spent on either new player or current players on your list.

Allow clubs to trade contracted players(with their consent) for either type of cap, all uncontracted players are full free agents

I think equalisation would be better served by having a variable cap based on finishing position. I'd have full free agency.

1) Amount which must be spent on players on your list, for the top team this might 97% for the bottom team this might be 85%
2) Amount that can be spent on either new player or current players on your list.

Allow clubs to trade contracted players(with their consent) for either type of cap, all uncontracted players are full free agents

I do like this concept better as ..I feel side like GWS need players who are older..players who have gone past the initial lights and sparklers , players who have been to the circus , seen the clowns and the lions. what they want is a good solid contract to set them up for life. Right now if you offered good money for Atkins at Geelong then my guess is he moves.. and there are plenty like that, if not better. My bet is Stewart at Geelong would be getting a lot more money elsewhere.

My only question is we see so often players will to play for less at better clubs. Greedy or brave ..one cant help but admire a little bit Ablett who went and played for a start up..yes for dollars but plenty would not have done it.

The AFL want to move towards being a non development comp. Having good kids that will take years to develop is not ideal.

Why bother with Cameron if you can get brown with a 2nd round pick, Absolute madness from North.

Although I am in the majority in wanting Cameron, I can certainly see your logic. Both coming off subpar seasons. But Brown with 3 x 60 goals vs Cameron with 2 x 40ish and 1 x 75 in the previous 3, at least should be grounds for a debate. Especially with all the most recent discussion being about KPF's declining at 30 in the modern game.

All comes down to value of course, but if it ended up being first 2 picks + a key player (it won't I hope) rather than compensation pick, you could certainly argue Brown was the safer choice.

I think parts of that work but the issue is the AFLPA will never agree to lower the cap floor imo which is why it wont happen.

Although I am in the majority in wanting Cameron, I can certainly see your logic. Both coming off subpar seasons. But Brown with 3 x 60 goals vs Cameron with 2 x 40ish and 1 x 75 in the previous 3, at least should be grounds for a debate. Especially with all the most recent discussion being about KPF's declining at 30 in the modern game.

All comes down to value of course, but if it ended up being first 2 picks + a key player (it won't I hope) rather than compensation pick, you could certainly argue Brown was the safer choice.

Don't win flags playing safe though.
If Cameron has that extra 5% (or more) of class and pure talent then that very well could be a point of difference in winning a flag or not.
Similar I suppose to Ottens vs Blake. There wasn't a HUGE difference between those 2, but we all know we don't win flags if we didn't have Ottens.

So am I reading this right St Kilda are sending Webster & Dunstan to Adelaide for nothing picks so they have enough cap room to offer Crouch 700k pa to get Adelaide pick 2 in compensation?

So am I reading this right St Kilda are sending Webster & Dunstan to Adelaide for nothing picks so they have enough cap room to offer Crouch 700k pa to get Adelaide pick 2 in compensation?

Essentially yes.

No offense, but this might be the worst take I have ever seen. I'm not even angry, I'm impressed.

Aside from Ottens being a champion and Blake a very limited player, and everything else that was different between them, there wasn’t that much different between them.

I think parts of that work but the issue is the AFLPA will never agree to lower the cap floor imo which is why it wont happen.
There are ways around the lowering of a cap floor.

Any funds below a certain threshold at the end of the year are divided and paid out to currently listed players.

EG The cap floor is 85% and a hard cap. You must reach that.
And the soft cap floor is 95%. You will pay out any funds that are between the 2 figures to your current playing list should you not reach 95

Players get their money so the AFLPA is satisfied and clubs are able to manipulate the salary cap to their needs based on where they think their list is at and what they want to do in the future.

Similar I suppose to Ottens vs Blake. There wasn't a HUGE difference between those 2, but we all know we don't win flags if we didn't have Ottens.

I would agree it wasn't a huge difference.

For mine, it was more like a yawning chasm, across which no aerodynamically advantageous object powered by the latest technology in rocket propulsion could ever hope to cross.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isnt that cap and draft tampering????This is so dodgy its not funny...
I don't think so.

In reality St. Kilda are still paying the Crouch contract and it's still going to be that amount for the life of the contract. If they want to pay him 4m over 5 then good on them.

It's literally why no-one thought they would get the pick. Everyone thinks he's not worth the contract.

Geelong has sent out many a player for pennies on the dollar. This is nothing different. St.Kilda just dropping a couple of contracts off the books that Adelaide are happy to take on for draft picks.

Not in the modern era though.

Podsiadly. Barry Hall must have been mid 30’s at the Dogs and he kicked 80 one season.

I do like this concept better as ..I feel side like GWS need players who are older..players who have gone past the initial lights and sparklers , players who have been to the circus , seen the clowns and the lions. what they want is a good solid contract to set them up for life. Right now if you offered good money for Atkins at Geelong then my guess is he moves.. and there are plenty like that, if not better. My bet is Stewart at Geelong would be getting a lot more money elsewhere.

My only question is we see so often players will to play for less at better clubs. Greedy or brave ..one cant help but admire a little bit Ablett who went and played for a start up..yes for dollars but plenty would not have done it.

The AFL want to move towards being a non development comp. Having good kids that will take years to develop is not ideal.

The only way to counter act the pull of success is to give poor performing teams a larger cap, they might not go for a little amount but might for a large increase (ALPHA woun't allow it to be restricted Image a team goes from 10th to top 4, it salary cap drop by half a million and it is forced either trade players or let a good but uncontracted player leave.)

Lets say teams get an additional 50k more of the 2nd category for each spot lower they are on the ladder.

Example of Salary cap of 10 Million, minimum annual salary of 100k minimum of 3 list changes per club.

Top team can spend up $9.7 million only on internal talent and $0.35 million (50k from finishing position) on external talent, and would have to trade out players to acquire more external talent if it wants/can.

Bottom team, can spend up to $8.5 million only on internal talent and $2.4 Million (0.9 miliion for finishing position) on external talent

A trade for a contracted mid tier player might be
Top club gains: 200k to be spent on external talent
Bottom Club gains player on 400k wage

Or a top team might trade internal salary for external salary like and let an uncontracted player walk instead
Top team gains: 200k to be spent on external talent
Bottom team gains: 400k to be spent on internal talent

The bottom team can offer the player who'd otherwise be the first pick a starting wage of $350k.

The lack of certainty would discourage teams from locking in too many mid tier players into long term contracts as they need to be more flexible in how they spend their money, so that we one of these players do get a good offer they'll be more inclined to take it.

The cap floor would be the same, as in a team can't choose to not pay the 95% floor, it would just teams would be restricted in their ability to spend on external talent. Top teams would be unable to get either first choice draft picks or proven mature talent. If they have trouble filling their cap one year they'll just front load as many contracts as they can and have an even larger lure the next year.

Random question, with the points deductions affecting Freo's first pick, has that deduction already taken place or does it happen on draft night? ie if they trade the pick away do they trade the pick as per their ladder position or the deducted version?

Random question, with the points deductions affecting Freo's first pick, has that deduction already taken place or does it happen on draft night? ie if they trade the pick away do they trade the pick as per their ladder position or the deducted version?

Already determined.

Is this a joke?

No.
Post I was responding to was comparing the statistical difference between Brown and Cameron, checking the statistical difference between Ottens and Blake and there wasn't a massive difference, the best season to compare was 2010 when they played a close enough amount of games, the differences being 1 disposal or 1 HO per game. Similar, as I said, to the difference STATISTICALLY between Cameron and Brown. Hence, as per my post, the difference in reality, and considering chances for a flag, are huge, just like the differences between our chances for a flag with Cameron vs chances for a flag with Brown.
If people actually followed the chain of posts instead of pulling out single sentences it would go a long way...

Podsiadly. Barry Hall must have been mid 30’s at the Dogs and he kicked 80 one season.
A. Lynch?

Pav?

Tredrea?

As year of the cat said, it's already determined and it's also which so many journalists are getting basic facts around draft picks wrong

Without the point deduction Freo would have had pick 7 - hence all the articles that continually refer to them potentially being willing to trade it to us for Clark.

But as the point deduction has already occurred, that pick has dropped to #10, and seems to have been missed by journalists wanting to speculate on trades

The higher the quality the player the longer they can play. Cameron, like Tommy should be productive into his early 30’s
Pretty much.

I see Cameron as a lot like David Neitz.

This board is as delusional as the Crows board if you think the Giants are taking that pick 9 for Cameron. Geelong need him (Hawkins not long left) and they will cough up picks I’m sure.

Coming to another club's board and labelling said board as "delusional" is not so smart...often attracting a day off....

As its GF day tomorrow, we'll just smile and advise you to move on.....don't let the door hit you on the way out..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back