Rumour GFC 2020 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you mean when we had one of the most professional presentations, when we had the sponsorship and support lined up but the AFL put their heads in the sand, ignored the growth of womens football in the region to instead go with their favorites in Carlton & Collingwood?

No issue with Melbourne & Bulldogs getting licences, but it was a joke when the other Vic licensees went to Collingwood & Carlton

So, how is that the GFC's fault?

And still waiting for an explanation as to how the club has botched their academy - been no response to that question yet...

Give the guy a break.....Its hard to answer with your foot in your mouth.

Simple solution is let the clubs run academies but make the AFL pay and therefore no auto select matching etc (all players go into draft) for teams just doing what they should be doing growing the game in and around the area they are in.

But i guarantee that clubs will walk away as soon as they don't get a leg up from them.

So you mean when we had one of the most professional presentations, when we had the sponsorship and support lined up but the AFL put their heads in the sand, ignored the growth of womens football in the region to instead go with their favorites in Carlton & Collingwood?

No issue with Melbourne & Bulldogs getting licences, but it was a joke when the other Vic licensees went to Collingwood & Carlton

So, how is that the GFC's fault?
Lol. You have no idea about the above. If you did you would be embarrassed by this post. I will leave it at that.

Bernard Toohey went to swans in 1985 or so..
his kids could be 30 + by now. The notion that the Swans can’t have f/s and need compensation in that respect is crap now.
Get in line with the rest of comp or jump in the sea.
Go Catters

I dont see how the FS qualification for them or Brisbane should affect their academy .... the academy and FS have a different role to play... but they seem to have three bites of the cherry for players who have played 100 , for players heeney and then players like Blakey ..who seemed to qualify thru his father being a coach. Id have to say id be royally peeved if SJ son suddenly qualified for the swans like Blakey did when his father played for north and Lions...

Nice deflection & to see you still ignoring the original question asked of you - and since you deleted it when quoting me, I'll refresh your memory... Or don't you actually have an answer to your original statement

And still waiting for an explanation as to how the club has botched their academy - been no response to that question yet...

Do you need a response...I mean...really?

I'm off to ask my cat the meaning of life.

Do you need a response...I mean...really?

I'm off to ask my cat the meaning of life.

You'll get more sense from your cat

I was actually coming to delete my reply because there's never going to be a response or reply regarding the original statement, only ever deflections

So warhorse is who exactly?
Suggestions we've botched our academy is nonsense. Our NGA appears to be repeating the failures of the zone inequality.
There is some truth to the bolded above. Geelong are also not as invested in their academy as other teams

Sure...best to wait and watch the inevitable self destruction.
No self destruction required. You will just use heavy handed moderation for someone who has a difference of opinion to you.

There is some truth to the bolded above. Geelong are also not as invested in their academy as other teams

No self destruction required. You will just use heavy handed moderation for someone who has a difference of opinion to you.
Exactly by what metrics do you assess we are not as invested as other teams? I presume you have inter club comparative projection analysis, financial commitment breakdowns or something to support your fact that the club is not as engaged as other clubs.
Go Catters

The way you dish out a punishment is very heavy handed. I got banned for 3 weeks for the following when discussing Patrick Dangerfield:

"By forward craft you mean running into other forwards space and spoiling his own team? Taking shots from 70m out and ignoring team mates? He is more effective with smaller bursts in there.

Plays a style of game that is hard on the body. He has a low chance of playing another 5 years."

That's very heavy handed for what was posted

Dangerfield needs to do one thing to play another 5 years ... improve his goal conversion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

27gls, 18pts, suggests his conversion rate is quite ok,
Maybe we should expect and set the bar at 30+ with Danger, he's such a fantastic player.
I trust my own judgement and his setshots are far from secure. Over his career its 283 212 ... but that of course shows little perspective on where he is taking his kicks.
He is good enough to develop 4-6 shots at goal a game once he is finished in the middle ... and even 3 3 in some peoples eyes would be good ..untill you lose by a goal ....whether he can polish up his technique at this stage is questionable. Can he hit the ball no doubt ..but would i put money on him getting the goal from 40 out ...probably not.

I trust my own judgement and his setshots are far from secure. Over his career its 283 212 ... but that of course shows little perspective on where he is taking his kicks.
He is good enough to develop 4-6 shots at goal a game once he is finished in the middle ... and even 3 3 in some peoples eyes would be good ..untill you lose by a goal ....whether he can polish up his technique at this stage is questionable. Can he hit the ball no doubt ..but would i put money on him getting the goal from 40 out ...probably not.

I find it impossible to knock the guy when he constantly lifts the team with inspired efforts time and time again.
Could he contribute more?...l suppose he could, could he kick straighter?..yes he could, so here's hoping next season he kicks 35 which is only 8 more than 2019, it's possible.
Best player we have by a margin, at times he's in another league by comparisons.
One poster said Jack Steven was Dangerfield 0.8, if that's true we'll push hard for a flag next season, that's how much l rate Dangerfield.

I find it impossible to knock the guy when he constantly lifts the team with inspired efforts time and time again.
Could he contribute more?...l suppose he could, could he kick straighter?..yes he could, so here's hoping next season he kicks 35 which is only 8 more than 2019, it's possible.
Best player we have by a margin, at times he's in another league by comparisons.
One poster said Jack Steven was Dangerfield 0.8, if that's true we'll push hard for a flag next season, that's how much l rate Dangerfield.

PD is immensely talented .. but I feel his kicking skills could be better at times. Its its not so much a knock , just the the way I see it.. At times GASr could be wayway... he could kick 8.8 at times but how could you winge when he was creating so much that others would not. Barrassi was always tougher on the more talented guys ..he thought that they always under achieved.. Id not say that but I do think Danger could be better still.The way the world works he will probably only start to work on it once his other gifts start to wane. He has mentioned eventually being a forward ..and when he does do that I hope he never has to feel the pain of a Mooney situation.

Id agree JS is a bit like a Dangerfield Lite ... but how does he work in our team with others doing that stuff. Only time will tell.

PD is immensely talented .. but I feel his kicking skills could be better at times. Its its not so much a knock , just the the way I see it.. At times GASr could be wayway... he could kick 8.8 at times but how could you winge when he was creating so much that others would not. Barrassi was always tougher on the more talented guys ..he thought that they always under achieved.. Id not say that but I do think Danger could be better still.The way the world works he will probably only start to work on it once his other gifts start to wane. He has mentioned eventually being a forward ..and when he does do that I hope he never has to feel the pain of a Mooney situation.

Id agree JS is a bit like a Dangerfield Lite ... but how does he work in our team with others doing that stuff. Only time will tell.

On JS, he'll win his own ball produce big numbers and kick goals, something none of our smalls seem capable of doing.
I think it's not how he fits it's more about how do others keep him out?

On JS, he'll win his own ball produce big numbers and kick goals, something none of our smalls seem capable of doing.
I think it's not how he fits it's more about how do others keep him out?
In rel to this thread ... if you had a chance would we recruit a 20 yo version of either player...with their deficiencies ? No question they bring far more than they hinder...

Very difficult to try to trade in 22 yo version. and it would cost. Perhaps someone like Ainsworth at GC maybe gettable with their recent additions...

It would change the game if they changed the FA service numbers ... 8 years no Restricted or 6 and 8 ..

Last edited:
Simple solution is let the clubs run academies but make the AFL pay and therefore no auto select matching etc (all players go into draft) for teams just doing what they should be doing growing the game in and around the area they are in.

But i guarantee that clubs will walk away as soon as they don't get a leg up from them.

In a horse race... back the horse call self interest .... it doesnt need a whip to keep running hard ...

Perhaps Carrott and Stick ... look at the Brisbane accademy this year Rich cleverly bid on some of ehir players and they could not have them all. While they produce for themselves and it has spill over then the system is working ... perfect no but in the end plenty of players are not give chances so not every kid will be draftable..

In a horse race... back the horse call self interest .... it doesnt need a whip to keep running hard ...

Perhaps Carrott and Stick ... look at the Brisbane accademy this year Rich cleverly bid on some of ehir players and they could not have them all. While they produce for themselves and it has spill over then the system is working ... perfect no but in the end plenty of players are not give chances so not every kid will be draftable..
True but i bet you are never going to get a top 10 pick from them by doing what Richmond did at beast you are going to get a few that they don't rate that highly.

I still think they should put all academy players into the draft no discount what so ever matching still allowed and see how it goes but my bet is clubs will just let the players slide even more before bidding e.g Green bid this year at 10 may well slide to 15-20 before clubs bid so the discount is still around in some invisible fashion.

And don't get me wrong academies especially in the north'n states are needed to help grow the game they need to do something soon or it will be like the zone days with some having good zones and some having bad

Just look at the last few years and you will see a few players that shouldn't be academy players already slipping through (cough Blakey cough) as the biggest * up no way in hell he should of been a Swans academy player (North F&S yes).

True but i bet you are never going to get a top 10 pick from them by doing what Richmond did at beast you are going to get a few that they don't rate that highly.

I still think they should put all academy players into the draft no discount what so ever matching still allowed and see how it goes but my bet is clubs will just let the players slide even more before bidding e.g Green bid this year at 10 may well slide to 15-20 before clubs bid so the discount is still around in some invisible fashion.

And don't get me wrong academies especially in the north'n states are needed to help grow the game they need to do something soon or it will be like the zone days with some having good zones and some having bad

Just look at the last few years and you will see a few players that shouldn't be academy players already slipping through (cough Blakey cough) as the biggest fu** up no way in hell he should of been a Swans academy player (North F&S yes).

R1's should have no discount... and later picks im not sure they should have to pay full rate ..Id be willing to discuss and variation on the current paradigm...
Retention and development should mean more players from the heartland for all

R1's should have no discount... and later picks im not sure they should have to pay full rate ..Id be willing to discuss and variation on the current paradigm...
Retention and development should mean more players from the heartland for all
That is something i wouldn't mind seeing r1 no discount would be a good thing

I'm confused as to how a player with an ACL is somehow going to be more of a sure thing than the player who broke a leg & appears to have recovered

I get that Lang turned into bit of a bust, but didn't Kelly also break his leg but ultimately made a return & played an important role across our premiership years... Whose to say that CS won't be more Kelly like versus Lang like?

Yeah you would take a bad break over an ACL any day of your life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back