Rumour GFC 2020 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plenty of other teams will offer Crouch more money than we can. Then he will also be looking at playing lists and know our senior core will be retired in a couple of years and i expect he won't want to spend the last 4-5 years of his playing career in a rebuilding side. We'd have to back end his deal, and this adds risk due to his inconsistent durability.

Having said that, the only proven midfielders we've drafted for a while have been mature age players. We'll probably swing for the fences again next year for a premiership and Crouch is a quality player so it would be an easy decision to pay overs for him.

Also someone please convince me cooper stephens is going to be a star. All I wanted was Mitch Georgiadis and he's going to kill me every time he plays like he did last night unless Cooper starts to really develop. Didn't rate his as a junior and I so badly want to be wrong. People please tell me why I am!!!
Cooper was just as impressive as an underager, probably goes top 5 if he didnt get injured.

Also someone please convince me cooper stephens is going to be a star. All I wanted was Mitch Georgiadis and he's going to kill me every time he plays like he did last night unless Cooper starts to really develop. Didn't rate his as a junior and I so badly want to be wrong. People please tell me why I am!!!
Lets just wait and see... Melb were horrible MG looked good but it over the long term ..literally years that counts.

Surely theres no substance to Crouch, we have Narkle,Constable and Stephens plus whoever we take with our multitude of top 30 picks, if we are paying an outsider big money it needs to be a forward or ruck.
I agree totally... i think Constable and Crouch would play the similar game, and that's why let's keep Constable and play him as his a kid, we drafted him.... instead of paying big coin for Crouch

Giorgiades looks a dead set gun, but don't stew on it. How many other clubs went past him too?

Cooper was just as impressive as an underager, probably goes top 5 if he didnt get injured.

That's when I followed him and was asked by a club to assess his performance during some of the champs games. He just didn't do it for me. As I have said before I could easily be wrong and I really hope I am but just couldn't see it. In fact I was talking to a recruiter from another club today trying to confirm that I was wrong. I really want him to be a star and the reality is the club will have done so much more work into assessing his talent than I did, but he just didn't have the it factor at all for me. However a lot of people said Cripps didn't have it either so that is what makes recruiting an inexact science.

Wouldn’t be holding my breath. Im
With you, unfortunately

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brad Crouch just lacks class. He’s s slightly better version of menegola.

He’d make our team a bit better in the short term, yes. But there’s something draining about our culture and long term growth when we keep bringing in this mature agers, especially ones that are just chasing the dollars.

Our last era was built on bringing in a group of hungry competitive players together as one. Adding other acquired players to complete a side is great but I don’t like bringing in all these added players to be a core are the expense of bringing through s drafted group. Bringing in crouch takes mid minutes away from parfitt, narkle, CC and even CS. And crouch is not a classy player. Not a culture changing player. It adds nothing medium long term

I would almost prefer to see lists upped to 50 with a 34 round season and mandated rotations so players only play say 27 games or so.

Surely the extra T.V. revenue would cover the extra players
34 games at the current 18 teams (my preferred) or
22 games, 2 divisions with 24 teams (less preferred).

Either the AFL increases the game count to ensure a full H+A season to make the comp fair,
or the AFL increases the number of teams and splits into 2 divs so that a full H+A season can be played.

22*9 = 198 games

34*9 = 306 games
22*12 = 264 games

Either way, more broadcast money, or more reason to keep the current broadcast money.

With bigger lists, means proper AFL reserves. Let the VFL/SANFL/WAFL be their own thing.

Brad Crouch just lacks class. He’s s slightly better version of menegola.

He’d make our team a bit better in the short term, yes. But there’s something draining about our culture and long term growth when we keep bringing in this mature agers, especially ones that are just chasing the dollars.

Our last era was built on bringing in a group of hungry competitive players together as one. Adding other acquired players to complete a side is great but I don’t like bringing in all these added players to be a core are the expense of bringing through s drafted group. Bringing in crouch takes mid minutes away from parfitt, narkle, CC and even CS. And crouch is not a classy player. Not a culture changing player. It adds nothing medium long term
Whilst I normally agree Crouch is only 26, youd be hoping his best is ahead of him especially with the amount of footy he's missed in the past, his best is good enough already he averaged 30 touches coming back from a year out after all.

Not sure on Crouch. He gets injured a lot. He’ll be 27 before next season and has played 80 games in 9 seasons and is inj again!!

Cocky has played 35 in 6 seasons!

He gets the ball a lot and is very tough but he is neither an accurate kick, penetrating kick, quick or an above average mark.

He has won a B&F and would be handy but he won’t be cheap and I just don’t think it will be value. It has Scott Selwood written all over it who had a very similar resume.

I’d probably pass unless he is on very reasonable money and wanted to come to us exclusively. On the flip side I don’t buy that Parfitt, Narkle, Constable nonsense. If they are half as good as they are made out on this board they’ll make it. Nothing in life should be handed to you. You take it.

Last edited:
That's when I followed him and was asked by a club to assess his performance during some of the champs games. He just didn't do it for me. As I have said before I could easily be wrong and I really hope I am but just couldn't see it. In fact I was talking to a recruiter from another club today trying to confirm that I was wrong. I really want him to be a star and the reality is the club will have done so much more work into assessing his talent than I did, but he just didn't have the it factor at all for me. However a lot of people said Cripps didn't have it either so that is what makes recruiting an inexact science.
I'm with you. I want to be wrong and I'm judging Stephen's on such a small sample size but I haven't seen anything to be excited about.

He's a good sized mid......that's about all I've seen. I never saw him work through traffic well, dodge, weave, kick beautifully, take a strong mark, give a handball that wasn't there. He was just a large mid that got some of the ball, played okay.

Cripps created some play as a kid, he too was a big mid but he gave some of those handballs through traffic that made you think, theres maybe something here.

Again, judging Cooper on very small sample but I just haven't seen it, hopefully our recruiting team did.

Wells don't have the best record for 1st picks in the league Lang Thurlow Brown Smedts Fogarty none of these guy's looked like natural footballlers all had funny running styles or bad kicking hand by foot, Cooper Stephen looked bad in pre-season game yes was his first game for a year but not good start

I have a feeling you're right. I got the strong impression from the stuff we saw and heard around draft time that one or two key people had liked him, rather than having evaluated him--critically--as you clearly have.

If the essential on-field quality is poise, he has some way to go. Early days, I suppose ...

I think the thing that makes me a bit more bullish on Cooper is that he seems a hard worker and has size and good athleticism.

I agree there were no wow moments in what I saw but maybe he can be Joel Corey 2.0. Guys the size of Lang I think have to be exceptional, guys like Cooper just have to make a natural progression. You look at Kennedy, Yeo, Jobe Etc and they go from plodders to guns very quickly.

Sorry if its been asked before, but
I see there is an Ollie Lord in the the list way back of players to watch, is he related to the premiership lords of Geelong?
195cm he is quite tall.

Wells don't have the best record for 1st picks in the league Lang Thurlow Brown Smedts Fogarty none of these guy's looked like natural footballlers all had funny running styles or bad kicking hand by foot, Cooper Stephen looked bad in pre-season game yes was his first game for a year but not good start

I think its way too early for determination on Cooper. I guess most hope to see some outstanding form or contribution early but considering the situation this year Im content to be patient. I feel its a tough year to be on the fringe but if someone has had a decent group of possible game then its probably just bad luck.

His tepid year so far is probably accentuated by performances by players like the young Port player Georgiades. In a way I get that. The long lead time is frustrating..especially when later on they hit an injury wall. My guess it would be interesting an instructive to sit down with their team and listen to their logic behind their picks.. perhaps one day the club will do one of those vids, they seem to produce so much stuff that is of borderline interest now.

I'd agree some of our r1 picks have not panned out but id seperate out early and later R1's , it almost like R1 and R1a ... ..id say some time he has pushed the under valued a bit too far a player that has lost value for what ever reason..all in an attempt to find the kid that could be the best long term, mainly because we just have not had enough high quality R1 picks. Its a fear I have this year as well.

In the end any selection can fail, we have seen so may P1's do so. If we had picked Georgiades coming of his injuries and he continued to have them I could imagine what would be said. It would be interesting to know what he went one way and not the other with the CS pick, considering players like CC on our list. CS was coming off injury as well... is it another year where he had him valued much earlier before the injury? It seems a common conundrum each year someone drops in value due to it. Kemp last year was coming off a knee and so are a couple of handy type this year. What would I do if Hollands was there at our pick... Id take him for sure.

I will be interested to see what CS develops like but id apply the same criteria to him as CC. By the end of next year id be hoping he has found a way to be engrained into the side like most of our better mid results have done in the recent past. Once it gets past Y2 and you have not done that , I feel it gets more difficult. Take this years draft/trade for example. We will add someone that will almost certainly will be competing for a spot with him.

Last edited:
I think the thing that makes me a bit more bullish on Cooper is that he seems a hard worker and has size and good athleticism.

I agree there were no wow moments in what I saw but maybe he can be Joel Corey 2.0. Guys the size of Lang I think have to be exceptional, guys like Cooper just have to make a natural progression. You look at Kennedy, Yeo, Jobe Etc and they go from plodders to guns very quickly.

True he tested well coming off the leg.

I also think choices are made on stuff that I or most other dont get to see. The off ground stuff. How he approached his injury, how he acted when inside the club, how he interviewed..and Im sure how others rated him. I think its without doubt there is a community that does enable to some degree create baseline for most players. They would have known who liked. Like Port knew we liked Georgiades etc.

To some degree its fair for 'us' to look at how he is playing an make a call but the club looks at the total package, of course it only goes so far. If we use Joel Corey as a template, drafted in 99 , played 5 games in 2000 , played 14 in 2001 and from then on it was in the best 22 lock. Its another reason I have concerns about brining in someone like Crouch.. it just makes it harder for players like him to get their shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back