Rumour GFC 2020 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key forwards are very hard to get with the picks we have.. Very few of them are A grade and he is one of them..it's easy to see why we would want him..it's all about getting the right price for the injury risk though.

Don't disagree with your overall point. I probably just have a fairly different assessment of the injury risk in his case. 14 games in the last three seasons as a result of chronic (rather than collision) injuries is a really alarming stat in my view.

Don't disagree with your overall point. I probably just have a fairly different assessment of the injury risk in his case. 14 games in the last three seasons as a result of chronic (rather than collision) injuries is a really alarming stat in my view.

Oh that's fair if people don't want to take the injury risk with him that's fine I just take issue with them saying our list doesn't need a key forward of his calibre because it does.

For me we need key forwards then run and carry so preference:
Cameron (Durable)
Daniher
Williams
Crouch
Viney

Order of likelihood
Crouch (bottom 2 club danger connection)
Cameron (chasing him a while likes anonymity)
Daniher (if we can turn his head from sydney)
Viney (we love leaders)
Williams (would take cash that we are unlikely to pay).

I'm a little different

Cameron
Saad
Daniher
Aidan Corr

We do actually need tall defenders. The youngest defender on the list over 195cm to have played a game is Blitz and he'll be 30 by round 1 next year and probably needs to ruck a bit.

Outside Blitz its Taylor who will probably retire, Hendo who isn't even contracted for next year yet, the DEK who hasn't played and needs to add bulk to impact at AFL level, then Schlensog if he's not delisted.

All our other defenders are 190-193cm of which I think Kolo is the only one over 191. A couple of injuries could see us lining up real short against West Coast or Richmond. Port had a backline with a similar height profile and they've been exposed a couple of times
Both kolo and henry play as tall defenders. Even stewart can. And then there is dekoning who was recruited as a key defender. Thats heaps of young options compared to our foward line. And boicavs has a few years left anyway. Easily coukd be the full back for the next 3 years.

after hawkins there is is esava. Kruegar has to be comsidered highly unlikely now given he has been in the system for 3 years and hasnt got one single game. No talented medium half foward flankers. Taheny is still way too speculative to consider as an option at this point. We really have nothing. On the smalls side its only miers. Close/atkins are all c grade rookie fill ins.

Both kolo and henry play as tall defenders. Even stewart can. And then there is dekoning who was recruited as a key defender. Thats heaps of young options compared to our foward line. And boicavs has a few years left anyway. Easily coukd be the full back for the next 3 years.

after hawkins there is is esava. Kruegar has to be comsidered highly unlikely now given he has been in the system for 3 years and hasnt got one single game. No talented medium half foward flankers. Taheny is still way too speculative to consider as an option at this point. We really have nothing. On the smalls side its only miers. Close/atkins are all c grade rookie fill ins.
Jarvis has plenty of talent and then there's Ollie Henry

Yeah ..thats all good till young Green say I want to go to the Swans , Riccardi says the Pies have made me a huge offer , Hately wants a return to SA ..etc etc..

Does that mean that Jeremy Cameron should clear his locker and start exploring real estate at Moggs Creek?
I thought Scotty nailed it in his presser, even his mid week piece. Something that he's been criticised previously about. He hasn't held back to a certain degree.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Small forward..easier to get than key forwards and 30yo. Pick 35. They will want a R1. No from.me.
What about Gunston and Breust for our last first round pick? Solves 2 forward roles.

Crouch is a decent enough player but not the kind I want chewing up $800k of cap. I hope we miss out on him.

Daniher is an immense talent but huge injury queries. Essendon will match a bid so your going to have to give up two late first rounders to get him. I couldn’t justify that given the injury risk.

Cameron is a perfect fit but on huge dollars. He’d be the highest paid at Geelong on his current salary. Upside is you probably don’t get a bid match from GWS. Don’t think the noises are showing signs he’s coming here. The fact we are sniffing around others (inc Daniher) suggests we have been rebuffed.

Viney is a workhorse and would be OK as a Selwood-lite warrior. Hard to see him moving given family link.

For all of the others linked to us - Gunston, Breust, etc. - they’re all small plays in a trade sense. They are either at the end of their careers and not worthy of big money or high picks or lower profile types. That’s not to say they couldn’t be useful or wouldn’t be worth trading for but I’m not going to get too excited one way or another.
Agree with most of this. Would be horrified if we grabbed crouch and he chewed through 800k of cap every year.

Cameron is a concern. 10 touches and 1.5 goals a game. I actually rate Daniher as one of the most talented players in the game. Not many players are as good as him when he is up and about.

Viney brings hardness and leadership and is better value than Crouch. I would be comfortable if we grabbed him as a free agent.

This will make GW popular in Adelaide ...

Whateley says Crouch remains a “very good midfielder” but wasn’t worth enough to see Adelaide gain a first-round compensation pick if he left.

He vales Crouch around $500,000 per season and on a deal fewer than four years.

“There was an extravagance around the amount of money and the length of (contract) that Brad Crouch might demand,” he said on SEN's Whateley.

“He’s a very good midfielder but he’s not a star of the game and the right club could use him in the right way. I wouldn’t be mortgaging my club to sign him and I wouldn’t be giving a lot to get him.

“The first idea that was being entertained was that he was (worth) north of $750,000 and somewhere around (a) five-year (contract) and it somehow gets the Crows the compensation pick as number two. That was pure nonsense when it was raised, and it was shown to be so.

“We’re about to find out how clubs’ value and I would think that somewhere between $500-600,000 perhaps and not a four or five-year (deal).

Whateley says Crouch remains a “very good midfielder” but wasn’t worth enough to see Adelaide gain a first-round compensation pick if he left.

“There was an extravagance around the amount of money and the length of (contract) that Brad Crouch might demand,” he said on SEN's Whateley.

“He’s a very good midfielder but he’s not a star of the game and the right club could use him in the right way. I wouldn’t be mortgaging my club to sign him and I wouldn’t be giving a lot to get him.

“The first idea that was being entertained was that he was (worth) north of $750,000 and somewhere around (a) five-year (contract) and it somehow gets the Crows the compensation pick as number two. That was pure nonsense when it was raised, and it was shown to be so.

“We’re about to find out how clubs’ value and I would think that somewhere between $500-600,000 perhaps and not a four or five-year (deal).

1. "Pro-Victorian bias in media."

2. "That's fine, we'll keep him."

3. "******* Dangerfield."

Gotta disagree heavily on Kreuger. He's had a couple of injuries, and our first choice has always been Hawk and then Sav/Rohan. Was an emergency this year, and is still only 21 years old. Was only drafted at the end of 2018 - as a 19 year old -, and had knee surgery at the end of last year too. Has only been in the system for two years, and this year has been a write off for anyone in the reserves trying to push their claim - especially someone who has had niggles all year on the same knee. Even then, he was still on the brink of a debut in July.

Way too early to make a call, and I daresay I reckon he's got a bright future ahead of him from what I've seen at a lower level

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whately coming along and blowing everything right into perspective

100% accuracy

Gotta disagree heavily on Kreuger. He's had a couple of injuries, and our first choice has always been Hawk and then Sav/Rohan. Was an emergency this year, and is still only 21 years old. Was only drafted at the end of 2018 - as a 19 year old -, and had knee surgery at the end of last year too. Has only been in the system for two years, and this year has been a write off for anyone in the reserves trying to push their claim - especially someone who has had niggles all year on the same knee.

Way too early to make a call, and I daresay I reckon he's got a bright future ahead of him from what I've seen at a lower level
21 aint young. Very few players who are on a list for a number of year make it if they havnt even been given a game at 21. i would say tge probability is less then 1percent. Henry is only 22 and he has been playing for years.

21 aint young. Very few players who are on a list for a number of year make it if they havnt even been given a game at 21. i would say tge probability is less then 1percent

I've held my tongue several times, but jeez Louise this 'I know best' schtick is getting old. Apparently the sun shines out of Ratugolea and Cockatoo's ass, despite being on our list for 4 and 6 years respectively...but anyone you think isn't any good, is automatically disregarded and harped on about for weeks/months on end.

Kreuger was drafted at 19 (as a mature age pick who missed selection the previous year and then was selected as part of our dealings with Carlton as a 'priority pick selection', due to his rapid improvement in 2018 and mentorship underneath Andrew McLeod), and has barely had any games to prove himself/has only been in our system/list for 20 months. He kicked 6 in a single match in the VFL last year and showed some really good signs. He was mentored by McLeod and touted as 'one of the best young talents I've ever seen.' He hasn't had a chance due to injury/others being ahead of him with match experience under their belt in a compromised season.

Do you have to be so damn negative about everything, lol? Give the kid a chance, and more than 1 year and a bit of injury/covid interrupted VFL/scratch matches before you write him off. I hear nothing but negativity when we talk about Cockatoo at 23 and him not being played, and it being on our coaches even though he's underperforming as reported by several assistant coaches. However, when it comes to a fresh faced draftee with little time under his belt, he 'looks unlikely' and 'probably won't work out.' So much contradiction.

I gotta say, it's tiresome reading all the negative commentary on our board sometimes. It's almost like you guys - always the same group of people - want everything to suck, just to give you all some sense of morbid self-fulfilling pleasure, lol. Just give it a rest for once and show a little humility.

Last edited:

I cant agree on our KPD stocks... Kolo and Henry can be a temp fix but id have doubts if either were given the job week in week out on players like Hawkins or Lynch .... Dek has been a wize investment ..and Id like to see another like that. Blitz may play for the next 3 years but player like Dek can develop along and show potential they should gradually get integrated. Maybe we find a bargain , there will be a lot of delisted talent this year. Schlensog is hard to judge , only those closer to the players would know if he will be a future player.

Kruger added in Oct2018 ..so 2 years on our list .. and id say all players this year would be difficult to assess ... he does still look thin, but if stays fit next year we will see what he has..... but that doesn't mean we should not add someone else cause... as we have seen with Cockatoo..no matter the talent or the pick it may come to zip.

Does that mean that Jeremy Cameron should clear his locker and start exploring real estate at Moggs Creek?

What about Gunston and Breust for our last first round pick? Solves 2 forward roles.

They wouldn't trade them both for that and we need a key forward more anyway.

Discussions on the Sydney board suggest Jeremy Cameron bought some property in Kangaroo Ground 2 weeks ago.... Thats pretty far from both Sydney AND Geelong. Vibe is he is going to the bombers which would suggest Daniher is on the move.
I really hope we dont pick him up though. Hes a very expensive bench warmer.

Crouch is a decent enough player but not the kind I want chewing up $800k of cap. I hope we miss out on him.

Daniher is an immense talent but huge injury queries. Essendon will match a bid so your going to have to give up two late first rounders to get him. I couldn’t justify that given the injury risk.

Cameron is a perfect fit but on huge dollars. He’d be the highest paid at Geelong on his current salary. Upside is you probably don’t get a bid match from GWS. Don’t think the noises are showing signs he’s coming here. The fact we are sniffing around others (inc Daniher) suggests we have been rebuffed.

Viney is a workhorse and would be OK as a Selwood-lite warrior. Hard to see him moving given family link.

For all of the others linked to us - Gunston, Breust, etc. - they’re all small plays in a trade sense. They are either at the end of their careers and not worthy of big money or high picks or lower profile types. That’s not to say they couldn’t be useful or wouldn’t be worth trading for but I’m not going to get too excited one way or another.
A couple of points - having a second or third forward option during trade time also forces the actual player who does want to come to geelong to potentially lower their asking price. Remember, we are negotiating with the other club AND the player too. It’s essentially a 3-way deal.

If Gunston by some chance ended up in Geelong - even with his age, we’d go close to winning a premiership. He is such a clever and dangerous player.

I've held my tongue several times, but jeez Louise this 'I know best' schtick is getting old. Apparently the sun shines out of Ratugolea and Cockatoo's ass, despite being on our list for 4 and 6 years respectively...but anyone you think isn't any good, is automatically disregarded and harped on about for weeks/months on end.

Kreuger was drafted at 19 (as a mature age pick who missed selection the previous year and then was selected as part of our dealings with Carlton as a 'priority pick selection', due to his rapid improvement in 2018 and mentorship underneath Andrew McLeod), and has barely had any games to prove himself/has only been in our system/list for 20 months. He kicked 6 in a single match in the VFL last year and showed some really good signs. He was mentored by McLeod and touted as 'one of the best young talents I've ever seen.' He hasn't had a chance due to injury/others being ahead of him with match experience under their belt in a compromised season.

Do you have to be so damn negative about everything, lol? Give the kid a chance, and more than 1 year and a bit of injury/covid interrupted VFL/scratch matches before you write him off. I hear nothing but negativity when we talk about Cockatoo at 23 and him not being played, and it being on our coaches even though he's underperforming as reported by several assistant coaches. However, when it comes to a fresh faced draftee with little time under his belt, he 'looks unlikely' and 'probably won't work out.' So much contradiction.

I gotta say, it's tiresome reading all the negative commentary on our board sometimes. It's almost like you guys - always the same group of people - want everything to suck, just to give you all some sense of morbid self-fulfilling pleasure, lol. Just give it a rest for once and show a little humility.

Negativity aside etc... I do find it confusing sometimes who the MC have decided to select for a debutant game and who they have not. Have there been chances to bring in Krueger for a game instead of Rohan over the last two years.. id say there were. Times when he was kicking golas or look good..of course he has had injurie isses as well.. No doubt he looks thin but I cant see how he would look less prepared than what Jarvis was. I'd hope for next year to be a big year for him... cause at 21/22 ... obviously talented kids usually get some sort of a look at some stage.. OOC at 2021 this time next year we will have a better idea.... and if we bring in the likes of Daniher and Cameron , I can see it being difficult for him again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back