Rumour GFC 2020 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The injury at Richmond has tightened options.... If Daniher came to geelong it potentially might solve a few issues , but apart from that the shortage of ruck stocks make even a mehh type ruck prospect haev decent value. Makes one wonder why we dont at least try to have a couple of prospects on our list..
I imagine if we do recruit a key forward like Daniher or Cameron we’ll play Esava in the ruck. But if we want to do that he has to train to play there over summer. He’ll need to get a lot fitter as well.
There are options which we’ve discussed on here before. But those that might be available are not that exciting on face value. Plenty of rucks have flourished when given a chance in a new environment.

I imagine if we do recruit a key forward like Daniher or Cameron we’ll play Esava in the ruck. But if we want to do that he has to train to play there over summer. He’ll need to get a lot fitter as well.
There are options which we’ve discussed on here before. But those that might be available are not that exciting on face value. Plenty of rucks have flourished when given a chance in a new environment.

I think Esava lacks the desire of body contact to be a good ruckman.

Last year we thought we had Goldstein and Higgins but they didn’t come in the end. We clearly needed a ruck and we obviously put resources into getting Goldstein.Where was plan B.? We missed a trick/ wasted time in the end when Pittonet was 23 yo, waiting for a shot and ready. Hold onto your wigs trolls - Carlton outplayed us totally on ruckmen last year. Imaging if we went for a younger ready prospect that was getable and not get stung along till it’s too late,
I raise this because we look to be heading down the same path this year, of course it’s not clear yet, but Cameron now may look at Sydney and Crouch more into staying maybe at Port. Just feels like we are being used again as the out front bidder to leverage other clubs or a better deal at home. Hopefully not but for example the Goldstein thing has left us really exposed with few available to trade for and hoping maybe Sav or SDeK can convert to a good ruck over summer. The same may now apply to a big forward and midfielders.

I think Esava lacks the desire of body contact to be a good ruckman.
I think that could be a result of injuries he’s had. He certainly doesn’t mind crashing into packs. He’s no Mumford that’s for sure but he’s has a crack. I think his biggest hurdle to rucking at the moment is being able to run across the ground for a game.

North Board - Higgins has been told if he wants out to chase a premiership, they won't stand in his way.

Hence, I could see the story gathering legs. If we could get Higgins for a token pick and he was prepared to play for donuts, I would be happy to see him at Geelong even if only for one year.

Also, keep Stevo, as much as he is out of shape and form, he is actually improving, I suspect that next year he will have a far better year. He is trying and improving, its just taking time - which is what people should have expected.

I wonder how he feels ... knock back a 3 year deal worth 750. ... and now who knows what he will be on or where he will play..
I was thinking the exact same thing. I cant think of anyone who would offer him a better deal than that. Played 9 games for 8 goals this year.
Granted the service he was receiving was horrendous, but Im not sure I would have offered him more than that this time last year.

North Board - Higgins has been told if he wants out to chase a premiership, they won't stand in his way.

Hence, I could see the story gathering legs. If we could get Higgins for a token pick and he was prepared to play for donuts, I would be happy to see him at Geelong even if only for one year.

Also, keep Stevo, as much as he is out of shape and form, he is actually improving, I suspect that next year he will have a far better year. He is trying and improving, its just taking time - which is what people should have expected.

Footy Classified last night they said that he was almost certain to come to Geelong.

If people want higgins here why not try and tempt the Crows with Sloane as they are going rebuild mode and we have a few good picks
I think Higgins adds more than Sloane due to him providing a point of difference over most of our existing midfielder/forwards in that he is a good user of the ball. Sloane while not bad is the typical well balance mid without silky skills like Higgins. I'd back Sloane in other aspects of his game but I think we need that nice user of the ball.

Also, I am of the belief that North will let Higgins go to do the right thing so the price will be cheap, Adelaide would not feel the same love.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't see why they would ship him for donuts though you have to pay 95 % of the cap and they have huge money room...there's no reason for them to move him on unless they get a good pick out of it.

Agree on Steven.

Still waiting on list numbers but if we are looking for a def add ... do we look to draft or do we look at cheapish in system player. Lets say a Melican..We love a Boomerang Falcon ...and he would fit list needs. Hardly a 'great' player but plenty have not been and still become serviceable.

I keep reading about SDek , kicked another 2 goals this week, this after him playing some games in the ruck. I can say he was one I like from the champs last year , strong over head , good intercept marker , reasonable by foot , good size.. but i probably would not have gone as early as we did but the SW pulled the lever with p19 ... and now it appears we have a ripper on our hands. I think we may see him play at some stage 2021 but obviously he will be years away from being at his best...and to me thats not such a bad thing. One of the most enjoyable things about watching footy is watching development of kid you picked as he comes thru, the 07/11 era was that much more special because of the development aspect. but that takes time and those in change do not like waiting.

Admittedly the paradigm has changed, and its very difficult to do it thru draft when FA is now implemented... and quite often clubs are asking and paying a premium for kids yet the knowns are probably better value. Rohan for example. Just which kid picked in the 50's would have come in and done what he has for us.

If this kid is there ..I think we should seriously consider..

AFL Draft Watch: Zach Reid (Gippsland Power/Vic Country)

Next under the microscope in our AFL Draft watch is Gippsland Power’s Zach Reid, a mobile key position utility who possesses great skills for a 202cm prospect. Having been tried up either end of the ground and in the ruck over 15 NAB League games last year, Reid looks arguably most comfortable in defence; where he is able to utilise his vertical leap and shrewd reading of the game to make an impact aerially, while also rebounding with aplomb.

The raw, tall draft hopeful could well come into first round contention if he delivers on his potential in 2020, with all the attributes to stand out from the crowd as a key position option. He should again be a mainstay in Gippsland’s side amid the shortened NAB League season, and be a lock for Vic Country’s Under 18 National Championships campaign.

PLAYER PAGE:
Zach Reid
Gippsland Power/Vic Country

DOB:
March 2, 2002

Height: 202cm
Weight: 82kg

Position: Key Position Utility

Strengths: Versatility, overhead/intercept marking, skills, vertical leap
Improvements: Strength, raw

NAB League stats: 15 games | 11.1 disposals | 3.9 marks | 2.0 tackles | 2.4 hitouts | 1.6 rebound 50s | 0.1 goals (1)

If people want higgins here why not try and tempt the Crows with Sloane as they are going rebuild mode and we have a few good picks

Sloane adds to our midfield full of poor ball users Higgins is a better ball user.

I can't see why they would ship him for donuts though you have to pay 95 % of the cap and they have huge money room...there's no reason for them to move him on unless they get a good pick out of it.

Agree on Steven.
Why? Goodwill. I think Goodwill is becoming more important than ever. The we do the right thing by our guys. Sign with us, we do the right thing when times change etc.

I also believe there was a rumour that one of the "financial" solutions could be to lower the salary cap floor for the next couple of years. Hence, there might be movement on this behind the scenes seeing none of that has been announced. I think the clubs actually have an idea of what is going to happen, its just not final.

Hi folks, please excuse the intrusion.
Does Mark O'Connor spend any time as a KPD, or is he just a mid size defender?
I have him in a keeper league where we have to nominate each player's position.
Cheers.

Agree on Steven.

It will not be our R1's so after that does a R2 appeal enough? They have cleaned out the list .. so to me a young player ...lets say ZGuthrie or Simpson etc would be a more ready to play option with a lot more games left on the clock.

I wonder too if they have dollar concerns ..with the way they are talking ... get rid of Polec, Brown see you later ..and Higgins we will not stand in your way etc.. I agree ..its an unusual situation.. its not like the need cap room for a big name..if they are going down the path of youth... but maybe its more about list restructure. It reminds me a little of when StKilda cleaned house ...so I suspect in a bit of time we will find out they are financially in ordinary shape.

Hi folks, please excuse the intrusion.
Does Mark O'Connor spend any time as a KPD, or is he just a mid size defender?
I have him in a keeper league where we have to nominate each player's position.
Cheers.

Never key defender as we are so tall back there.

It will not be our R1's so after that does a R2 appeal enough? They have cleaned out the list .. so to me a young player ...lets say ZGuthrie or Simpson etc would be a more ready to play option with a lot more games left on the clock.

I wonder too if they have dollar concerns ..with the way they are talking ... get rid of Polec, Brown see you later ..and Higgins we will not stand in your way etc.. I agree ..its an unusual situation.. its not
like the need cap room for a big name..if they are going down the path of youth... but maybe its more about list restructure. It reminds me a little of when StKilda cleaned house ...so I suspect in a bit of time we will find out they are financially in ordinary shape.

We won't trade a R1...they won't take a R2...they need players and they have lots of money and gametime to offer our fringe players..I reckon a player trade is the only way it gets done.

They will have to front load crazily to even hIt the 95 % cap floor the way they are going.

I personally think with Sav he thinks too much when passing the ball. If he can get over that he could be a very good player...
More than that he has a purple patch for 5 min then almost disappears for the rest of the game, he has played 30 odd games now and really hasnt shown the consistency needed in his marking game, at best he will be a foot solider...

imo, it depends on numbers ..id rather pay out steven than chop young potential kids... but it will not happen. So if they are going to keep him, the must get him away from the midfield ... put him forward and let him play to his natural strengths. He looks like he is playing as if each possession is an opportunity to make a mistake .. put him forward and take him of the chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back