Rumour GFC 2021 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists... Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn we've got busy lately with list management discussion, trade & draft speculation - time to move to a new thread and looks like good timing with what's coming up this week...

Let's start with a look at the key dates:

AFL Free Agency period
Friday, October 1 - Friday, October 8 (bidding closes for restircted free agents, matching closes on Monday, October 11)

AFL Trade Period
Monday, October 4 - Wednesday, October 13 at 7:30pm EST

AFL Draft (National draft)
Wednesday, November 24 - Thursday, November 25

AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts
Friday, November 26

Also, thanks to Lore for their efforts in again providing this valuable resource, which I'm sure we'll be referencing on a regular basis over the coming trade and draft period

On trades, I can’t see anyone available that we should target but there seems some interest in some of our players.

I’d prefer we just said to Freo, we will trade you Clark for an early second rounder and for Krueger, we will also trade but we want a late second rounder. I’d love us to take a bunch of second round picks (5 or 6) into this draft. There is so little form to go off given two years of COVID almost certain to be some good quality that will slide through.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Continuing on from the other thread, absolute BS that Sydney got Pick 39 for Hewett. Joke of a system

I have no idea on list spots or how many picks we will end up with...

Would Ling be worth a look? Had injury problems so maybe his body is shot.

R1 pick in 2017. We do tend to like Ex Falcons. 23 at the start of next year. Still younger than when our B&F winner was when he started.

Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 4.17.52 pm.png

I have no idea on list spots or how many picks we will end up with...

R1 pick in 2017. We do tend to like Ex Falcons. 23 at the start of next year. Still younger than when our B&F winner was when he started.

View attachment 1251460

Rookie pick only I reckon TC

Interesting deal... I guess its handy to have cap room. Gets down to what Future pick North are giving them P19 and Darcy Macpherson. for a 2022 pick.. either Fr2 or Fr3.

Gold wanting picks next year.. I wonder if they have academy kids coming thru and they need points

Am I alone in thinking that I'd just like us to take all our picks to the draft this year?

If you believe (as I do) that our shot at our flag with Dangerfield, Hawkins et al has passed us by, then I would rather have some shot at getting a great player - i.e. going through the draft - than buying in a semi-known quantity who would be reasonable at best.

Ling has been delisted from his current club for a reason. If he pulls a Menegola and goes back to state level, great - but otherwise, no thanks, hard pass.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is the draft in late November for the AFL to remain in the news?
Any reason it can be in late October, release the fixture then give cricket some clear air Nov to Feb

Any reason it can be in late October, release the fixture then give cricket some clear air Nov to Feb

I could take a couple of guesses:

- majority of draftees are year 12 students, so the late November draft could be there to limit the chance of a clash with schooling commitments such as exams

- likely also to do with the AFLPA CBA & required time off between end of season & commencement of pre season; I know there's requirements for players but not sure how it goes for coaching staff & if there's a standard break or on a club by club basis
While teams who don't play finals may be back at training by November, that's not necessarily going to be the case for those playing finals & especially the grand final teams
So if the 1st to 3rd year players aren't going to be back until November, you probably don't want draftees being expected to rock up to their new club within a week of the draft and be the only ones at training for even a short period of time

Actually good point I didn’t consider the study/exams side especially

but I’m sure the draft used to be held earlier..?

Am I alone in thinking that I'd just like us to take all our picks to the draft this year?

If you believe (as I do) that our shot at our flag with Dangerfield, Hawkins et al has passed us by, then I would rather have some shot at getting a great player - i.e. going through the draft - than buying in a semi-known quantity who would be reasonable at best.

Ling has been delisted from his current club for a reason. If he pulls a Menegola and goes back to state level, great - but otherwise, no thanks, hard pass.

What has a delisted player got do with taking all our picks to draft? Zero. It only about places on the list. Bringing a delist player Ling or someone else will have zero to do with taking a good chunk of picks to draft.

On Ling .... Is he good enough or do we want him? No idea. Been injury prone so one can make ones own judgement on that.

For that matter on do I believe we are done and we need to rebuild .. yes I do but there is no way that we will be doing that totaly thru the draft..we will bring in outside players. nothing surer.

Its because the clubs are not supposed to have contact with the draftees during the year 12 exams period.

20yo Leek Alleer, watching highlights, woeee, 197cm and the best vertical leap you’ll ever see! I like it! Cats do love their marking defenders.

lol, just watched his highlights, my god! He will be an instant success in the AFL. That size, reading of the play and jumping ability . . . . Aliir, Stewart, McGovern, Lever have made a career of it.

Probably goes very early in the draft unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back