Rumour GFC 2021 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists... Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the Saints needing points, with the quality of the dfa's and the expected clean out next year .... would it surprise if we trade a pick in the 30's to them for their FR2 in draft?

They will only do it live after they have matched an owens bid.

Tom Brown looks a very solid player. He would be my first pick.

he seems to be that “ everybody’s favorite “ player this year round on every club board, hoping that he slips to them in the 20’s for a bargain. Probably one of the highest profile names outside of the top ten at present.

the sort of player we basically never get.

Yes but you also judge players extremely harshly too, lol - including Guth in the past. Holmes only played about half the senior games that Clark played, and was less developed too - so there's some big differences.

Also, I watched pretty much every VFL game, as I was enamoured with him from his 1st game. His work rate, combined with speed, skills in close and kicking, just makes him the complete package. He was head and shoulders above every other player on the field in every game I watched him. He'd go from being positioned in the mids, to drifting forward and kicking a goal, to drifting back again to chain up from the back half, and then pushing forward to kick a goal again/provide a goal assist.

His workrate wasn't just Scully or Hill just running up and down doing nothing while racking up k's either - he got involved in everything, and also tackled and did the hard stuff. Again, this was all as a 6'2 and a half 74kg kid, who had only played 5 state level games in the past year. Give him 1 or 2 more pre-seasons, and a consistent role in an AFL side, and he will just get better with every game.

He has the skills, the explosiveness and the workrate to be as good as Danger - with much better kicking ability. That's his ceiling IMO. It might not show at AFL level yet, as he's still quite raw in his development, but his upside will become clearer over the next couple of years. Clark is not fair as a comparison, as he was one of the most ready made prospects, and could play from day 1. Holmes will be far better than Clark, from what I've seen already.

P.S. as others have said, Guth is an AA / B+F midfielder...if that's 'all' Holmes ever makes it to, then he'll still have done pretty damn well.
So you are seeing him as possibly the greatest player of all time. Thats what you get if you have Dangerfield with better kicking.

Yes, fair call on me judging Guthrie harshly but it took him near on a decade to play at a good level.
Yes...that's All Australian, B&F Guthrie he's talking about, is it? ???
You must have a different opinion to what a star player is. I would say from our team Cameron, Hawkins, Dangerfield and Stewart are the star players. Guthrie averages less than 20 touches per game over his career. My opinion is Guthrie is very very good but not a star.
How is Holmes development below expectations? What were you expecting?
I would say he is exceeding expectations. Just like Clark was year 1.
If you don't see talent in him, then you just can not judge talent at all
Just because I don't think he is a star doesn't mean I don't see any talent.

I was told he was poised and skilled...
I saw rushed and raw.
Guess I expected more.
Not ruled out
Still waiting patiently
Comprehension matters

I think you're being very harsh on the lad.....patience grasshopper...

I was told he was poised and skilled...
I saw rushed and raw.
Guess I expected more.
Not ruled out
Still waiting patiently
Comprehension matters
I don't think I've ever read a description of him as being a posed and skilled player. Most of the player write ups we're just about his running ability

So you are seeing him as possibly the greatest player of all time. Thats what you get if you have Dangerfield with better kicking.

Yes, fair call on me judging Guthrie harshly but it took him near on a decade to play at a good level.

You must have a different opinion to what a star player is. I would say from our team Cameron, Hawkins, Dangerfield and Stewart are the star players. Guthrie averages less than 20 touches per game over his career. My opinion is Guthrie is very very good but not a star.

I would say he is exceeding expectations. Just like Clark was year 1.

Just because I don't think he is a star doesn't mean I don't see any talent.
So a player exceeding expectations is now evidence of poor player development? Clark yeah sure that's evidence of it. Cockatoo isn't evidence of anything either given the club didn't really get a chance to develop him.

You stated three names but it disguised the fact you only had one data point in there

There is an void at CHB that needs fixing... it may be a combination of Stanley and SDK
I have more faith in Stanley than many...Looking forward to see what unfolds.

This is why i think Schlensog will be a priority DFA signing.
Had a pretty good season in the WAFL and just turned 21 last month.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

also don't write off nick stevens for 2022... seems to be quite rated and has good skills.

with a good pre season, could force his way into the side to dislodge someone like Kolo or bews.

Spot On! I have him pencilled in for 2022. Well at least getting half a season of senior footy into him.
Who knows... Might be Kolo's replacement??

with henderson out, there is a vacant spot for a Key back. kolo and henry are modern day medium defenders and cannot hold down key forwards, so who do you think will take that spot?? and it wont be rhys stanley

SDK and/or Schlensog if we can nab him as a DFA.

There is just no chance we can will the flag with minimal change, and I think the club has finally recognised that in cleaning out the footy dept. Scott has been offered an extension but there is no confirmation from the club he has signed yet. Assuming he will/has, there is still no way it is going to be the same team and quite rightly it’s just not good enough. Fresh blood, speed and strategy is needed.

Interesting..
Minimal change. I tend to agree with u there.
Is bringing in Stengle into the forward 50 arc, SDK or even Schlong at CHB, Stephens in the guts and Stevens on the HBF.
Then with the return of Stewart, MOC and Parfitt to our 22/23, which makes 7 changes to our last 2 games of 2021. Is that minimal?
One could consider (7 changes) a major revamp in normal circumstances.
I have a feeling that we will see more of our 18-22 year olds getting a run in front of the likes of Dahlhaus, Higgins, Atkins & Kolo.
Who quite frankly should be in the "Break Glass in case of Emergency" basket IMO.

he seems to be that “ everybody’s favorite “ player this year round on every club board, hoping that he slips to them in the 20’s for a bargain. Probably one of the highest profile names outside of the top ten at present.

the sort of player we basically never get.
Agreed. What may be in our favour is every other club will likely know of his strong preference to play for the cats along with his sister (assuming the cats is his preferred destination). Otherwise, he may be the player the cats will need to move up on draft day to secure.

This is why i think Schlensog will be a priority DFA signing.
Had a pretty good season in the WAFL and just turned 21 last month.

I'm not certain of this. Is Schlensog realistically an upgrade on De Koning? Schlensog is 21, De Koning is 20. Both only played state level last year. Some people are talking about Schlensog as if he's going to come in and straight away be the 2nd tall KPD, that's unrealistic. At his age and experience it's unlikely he'll be an immediate plug and play.

I'm not certain of this. Is Schlensog realistically an upgrade on De Koning? Schlensog is 21, De Koning is 20. Both only played state level last year. Some people are talking about Schlensog as if he's going to come in and straight away be the 2nd tall KPD, that's unrealistic. At his age and experience it's unlikely he'll be an immediate plug and play.
Agreed. But we should still get him for the future. But as I have posted before, if Blics goes down, we don’t have an experienced tall.

I honestly don't think Selwood's dropped off much. Still averaged 23 disposals and five clearances this year. Top 10 in the comp for goal assists, top 20 for contested possessions, clearances and tackles. I thought he had a great 2021.

this!
Yes he was shown up in finals but so was 3/4 of the team

We will see. Remember they split 17 into 23 and change. They might want 2022 picks but I’m not sure they want more 2021 picks.
Right now with pick 23 the Dogs only have a 135 point surplus on the picks they have if a bid comes at pick 2 (they will need 2014 to match)

So that means if they trade pick 23 (815 p) away they will need at least 680 points in 2021 to ensure they won't go into deficit next year.

As I suggested before a 23,52 (WB) for 32,34 and F3 (Cats) would be good for both teams.
- They could probably trade 32 down and into next years again with another team maybe Ess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back