Whit3y

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sheff Wed
have you ever tried to go for a run with gastro?? or played physical sports with gastro??? its not optimal at all.

who knows what the outcome would have been if you take away the gastro and the injuries to dangerfield oconnor parfitt stewart... could have almost won if we are being honest, or at least a close game similar to the one at KP.
How many changes did we make due to this gastro?

Hocking, in his SEN interview this moring, stated that there has been a lot of interest in trading for our picks in the 30's. Sounds like there is a fair chance we are trading up.

Could be trading up or trading into next year (for eg essendon clearly want a R2 and will probably trade a future 2nd for it).

Gee Class Loco

Premium Platinum
Oct 14, 2012
Sleepy Hollow
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
West Ham DEN Broncos BOS Celtics
You could not play if you had Gastro, you would sh*t your pants on the field and not once

True!. I think that talk was they had it (gastro-virus-bug) during the week and with 2-3 days to go before the prelim they were 70-30 ready to go...
In the end they all put their hands up but as we saw, they were a shadow of themselves.

Impression I got was that they were more likely to trade up for an earlier pick this year.

Depends on what you define as early pick i think.
If you mean a 15-25 pick (which can technically be a R1) yep i think we will try to trade into that range for the right price.
If you mean a pick inside the top 15 we will only get that by offering our FR1 and with next year being a good talls draft id rather we didnt do that.
Thanks for the info.

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Have we got anyone else that could play that third tall role? Or would we need to play another small forward? Or would it just be a case of play sav instead of rohan?
I dont know tbh. I agree with Hocking that the club/coaches have been playing it safe and in turn have been unable to innovate or find a surprising upside to other players. It's almost as if they wanted to jag a premiership instead of win a premiership.

We've had a few moments in the last few years where players who were unexpected to be that good, ended up being unbelievable. TK and Stewart. Henry got his chance because Harry had a sore foot from memory. These guys go their chance and played ALOT better than expected/VFL form. They were more suited to AFL. In the last two years, I have not really seen this as much. Holmes definitely got his chance, but they should have put him in much earlier to really get comfortable.

Do we need a definite immediate step-up, or would it be more worthwhile to invest into someone younger who may give similar immediate input but have far greater upside and may have more time ahead of them? No guarantees, but if we don't start investing in some young players we'll be falling off a cliff very soon.

In 2009 we could have kept playing Tom Lonergan in the forward line. He kicked 36 goals from 16 games in 2008. Not too bad. Why do you think he was replaced with a young, green Tom Hawkins?
Because Hawkins was a known talent who had showed a bit at VFL and at training.
That is the point. Can you name names?

CatsDoItBetter

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Still no coaching announcements, very strange. Egan is going to be announced in likely a development role. Strangely the article today with Hocking says Geelong is still to decide if it will have line coaches. That seems fairly strange to me, but o hope we actually have some appointments soon.

Feb 21, 2007
Behind the Bar
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
West Brom,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kitcat

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Does anyone know why it’s called SANFL south Australian national football league makes no sense to me?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
In began as the SAFA, a week before the VFA in 1877, then became the SAFL, then SANFL in 1926. I don’t know why they added the National, perhaps because around that time they beat Victoria, and National state carnivals were held regularly.
SA had the Margarey medal 26 years before the Brownlow started in 1924.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
certainly reads like a slight readjustment of our focus... yet still making the noises about 2022 etc.. yet say we have been caught up in our legacy..

New Geelong chief executive Steve Hocking opens up on his plans to Jon Ralph
New Geelong chief Steve Hocking brings a fresh set of eyes to the Cats and, while the club has been up for so long, he’s acutely aware it must evolve to taste ultimate success.

Steve Hocking’s wife knew he would go stir crazy if she didn’t intervene this past July.
Forced into gardening leave by the AFL after he accepted a position as Geelong’s next chief executive, he had four months of lockdown with nowhere to go and nothing to do.

So his wife bought him a flash new bike to allow him to punch out countless laps within 5km of his Williamstown house.

For Hocking, it was his first real break after four exhausting years as the AFL’s football boss crisscrossing the country attempting to save the look of the game and its existence from the threat of Covid-19.

You can bet his mind was whirring as fast as those tyres as he rode through the backstreets of Williamstown with Geelong’s future on his mind.

As Hocking joked in his first extensive interview about his vision for Geelong on Friday, the bike hasn’t been out of the shed in his three weeks back at GMHBA Stadium.

And after former Cats football boss Hocking watched the club’s flame-out in an 83-point preliminary final defeat, you can bet he isn’t ready to be a steady hand at the tiller.

Catch all the ICC T20 World Cup action live & exclusive to Fox Cricket, available on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial today.

As Hocking says, his philosophy is about action.

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet.svg

Watch the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season on Foxtel Find out more
On his to-do list is building Geelong’s membership base to 100,000, “bouncing out of Covid”, sparking innovation despite a tight football cap and finishing the rebuild of an eventual 40,000-seat GMHBA Stadium

But as for the rebuild of the ageing Geelong list, which in that preliminary final crushing had 11 players 30 or older?

Well here is where it gets really interesting.

Steve Hocking is the Cats’ new off-field spearhead.

Hocking isn’t afraid of using the ‘R’ word — rebuild — admitting he will do what it takes to ensure Geelong still competes for a flag in 2022 without falling off the cliff so many believe is imminent.

“We have been one of the most successful clubs over the past decade and I think our members have that expectation,” Hocking said.

“One of the challenges is the closer you get to the top of the mountain, sometimes you can actually be getting further away.

“For me, I have a fresh set of eyes to come in and challenge some of our thinking around it.

“I think, during Covid, what Chris (Scott) has been able to do has been exceptional. The whole footy department has been unbelievable. It’s a Grand Final finish and a preliminary final finish. The supporters will look at the prelim and say it was 80-plus points. I get it.

“That is my point is that the closer you get to the mountain the further you can get from it. “We have got work ahead of us. We acknowledge we do need to evolve.

“It’s something we need to take responsibility for. We won’t shy away from it.

“It is incredible what we have been able to do with the list. It’s been rebuild from 2011-2015, it’s been rebuilt since 2015 and it will need to be rebuilt in the coming years as well. We are committed to that. You always want a foot planted in the now, but you also want a foot planted in the future.

“If I was going to highlight what I have seen, we personally have probably got a little bit too much planted in just now.

“So that’s an opportunity with the new CEO and new coaches as well. That resetting of the football program will be really healthy.”

Hocking had great success at the AFL as Gill McLachlan’s right-hand man. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images

Hocking had great success at the AFL as Gill McLachlan’s right-hand man. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images

Hocking says Geelong’s fans and players should know the specific aim is to again compete for a premiership in 2022.

But he says the focus on avoiding that cliff — the nine oldest line-ups in AFL history have all been Geelong sides in 2020-21 — will come from several areas.

First is the plan from list boss Stephen Wells to reinvigorate the list with five early picks this year as well as a strategy to continue recruiting and developing elite young talent.

But for Hocking it is also a willingness to examine everything at Geelong — including the determination to top up and compete every single season.

“At times, potentially we have got a little bit caught up in the legacy piece of what has gone before,” he said.

“The rear view mirror has got a bit big and my job is to make the windscreen a bit larger. They (premierships) are so hard to win. It’s so difficult.

“People use language like ‘it’s a mistake’ or ‘the wrong decision’. I am glass-half-full, so there are great learnings for us in that.

“There is no doubt the current list can continue to challenge. My point around getting close is if you have a look at Melbourne — for 57 years, they got in the way of being able to win it.

“You have to break those shackles and risk a lot. So we need to take stock and understand where we want to go into the future.”

The Dees showed the Cats there are other avenues to success. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images

The Dees showed the Cats there are other avenues to success. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images
That phrase — caught up in the legacy piece — could have multiple interpretations.

For Hocking, it likely means examining the Geelong way to see whether it is the best chance of winning a fourth flag since 2007.

Is topping up to play finals every year giving the Cats the best chance to actually win the flag? Could they consider surging, as the Demons did, after securing elite talent through the early picks in the draft?

Is there a pattern to the finals trend, with eight of 10 losses in the first week since 2012 as well as four times where the Cats have lost in the first week, won backs-to-the-wall style in the next final then lost in the prelim?

Hocking is asked if there has been a staleness to the last few years.

“I think I was pretty honest. There was a legacy element to it. Probably, we have potentially got caught up in protecting that,” he said.

“You have to be adventurous. It’s one of our core values.”

All those challenging questions will be explored, as will rejigging the fitness and medical teams after a year where Patrick Dangerfield, Mitch Duncan and Jeremy Cameron all missed chunks of the season.

Cameron_Jezza

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Could be trading up or trading into next year (for eg essendon clearly want a R2 and will probably trade a future 2nd for it).
They can have 34 then, not 30 or
a trade of 22 for essendon 2022r2,r3.
Would we try to get 11 ( really 13).
Would we or they consider 13 for 24,32 ( what the picks are after Darcy,daicos bids).

24,32 are 160 points more than pick 13.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Last call for the mock draft! Saints, Carlton and Port as the 3 remaining clubs. Comment on here or the draft board, or send me a message if you'd like to be part of it.

We'll be starting within the next few hours, so get in quick if you're interested!

:)

Last edited:

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
certainly reads like a slight readjustment of our focus... yet still making the noises about 2022 etc.. yet say we have been caught up in our legacy..

New Geelong chief executive Steve Hocking opens up on his plans to Jon Ralph
New Geelong chief Steve Hocking brings a fresh set of eyes to the Cats and, while the club has been up for so long, he’s acutely aware it must evolve to taste ultimate success.

Steve Hocking’s wife knew he would go stir crazy if she didn’t intervene this past July.
Forced into gardening leave by the AFL after he accepted a position as Geelong’s next chief executive, he had four months of lockdown with nowhere to go and nothing to do.

So his wife bought him a flash new bike to allow him to punch out countless laps within 5km of his Williamstown house.

For Hocking, it was his first real break after four exhausting years as the AFL’s football boss crisscrossing the country attempting to save the look of the game and its existence from the threat of Covid-19.

You can bet his mind was whirring as fast as those tyres as he rode through the backstreets of Williamstown with Geelong’s future on his mind.

As Hocking joked in his first extensive interview about his vision for Geelong on Friday, the bike hasn’t been out of the shed in his three weeks back at GMHBA Stadium.

And after former Cats football boss Hocking watched the club’s flame-out in an 83-point preliminary final defeat, you can bet he isn’t ready to be a steady hand at the tiller.

Catch all the ICC T20 World Cup action live & exclusive to Fox Cricket, available on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial today.

As Hocking says, his philosophy is about action.

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet.svg

Watch the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season on Foxtel Find out more
On his to-do list is building Geelong’s membership base to 100,000, “bouncing out of Covid”, sparking innovation despite a tight football cap and finishing the rebuild of an eventual 40,000-seat GMHBA Stadium

But as for the rebuild of the ageing Geelong list, which in that preliminary final crushing had 11 players 30 or older?

Well here is where it gets really interesting.

Hocking isn’t afraid of using the ‘R’ word — rebuild — admitting he will do what it takes to ensure Geelong still competes for a flag in 2022 without falling off the cliff so many believe is imminent.

“We have been one of the most successful clubs over the past decade and I think our members have that expectation,” Hocking said.

“One of the challenges is the closer you get to the top of the mountain, sometimes you can actually be getting further away.

“For me, I have a fresh set of eyes to come in and challenge some of our thinking around it.

“I think, during Covid, what Chris (Scott) has been able to do has been exceptional. The whole footy department has been unbelievable. It’s a Grand Final finish and a preliminary final finish. The supporters will look at the prelim and say it was 80-plus points. I get it.

“That is my point is that the closer you get to the mountain the further you can get from it. “We have got work ahead of us. We acknowledge we do need to evolve.

“It’s something we need to take responsibility for. We won’t shy away from it.

“It is incredible what we have been able to do with the list. It’s been rebuild from 2011-2015, it’s been rebuilt since 2015 and it will need to be rebuilt in the coming years as well. We are committed to that. You always want a foot planted in the now, but you also want a foot planted in the future.

“If I was going to highlight what I have seen, we personally have probably got a little bit too much planted in just now.

“So that’s an opportunity with the new CEO and new coaches as well. That resetting of the football program will be really healthy.”

Hocking says Geelong’s fans and players should know the specific aim is to again compete for a premiership in 2022.

But he says the focus on avoiding that cliff — the nine oldest line-ups in AFL history have all been Geelong sides in 2020-21 — will come from several areas.

First is the plan from list boss Stephen Wells to reinvigorate the list with five early picks this year as well as a strategy to continue recruiting and developing elite young talent.

But for Hocking it is also a willingness to examine everything at Geelong — including the determination to top up and compete every single season.

“At times, potentially we have got a little bit caught up in the legacy piece of what has gone before,” he said.

“The rear view mirror has got a bit big and my job is to make the windscreen a bit larger. They (premierships) are so hard to win. It’s so difficult.

“People use language like ‘it’s a mistake’ or ‘the wrong decision’. I am glass-half-full, so there are great learnings for us in that.

“There is no doubt the current list can continue to challenge. My point around getting close is if you have a look at Melbourne — for 57 years, they got in the way of being able to win it.

“You have to break those shackles and risk a lot. So we need to take stock and understand where we want to go into the future.”

That phrase — caught up in the legacy piece — could have multiple interpretations.

For Hocking, it likely means examining the Geelong way to see whether it is the best chance of winning a fourth flag since 2007.

Is topping up to play finals every year giving the Cats the best chance to actually win the flag? Could they consider surging, as the Demons did, after securing elite talent through the early picks in the draft?

Is there a pattern to the finals trend, with eight of 10 losses in the first week since 2012 as well as four times where the Cats have lost in the first week, won backs-to-the-wall style in the next final then lost in the prelim?

Hocking is asked if there has been a staleness to the last few years.

“I think I was pretty honest. There was a legacy element to it. Probably, we have potentially got caught up in protecting that,” he said.

“You have to be adventurous. It’s one of our core values.”

All those challenging questions will be explored, as will rejigging the fitness and medical teams after a year where Patrick Dangerfield, Mitch Duncan and Jeremy Cameron all missed chunks of the season.

Read that today - such a fantastic article, and a great insight into how much change he's already brought to the club in such a short amount of time. Very pleasing to hear him so strong in his views when it comes getting the balance right and us going too far in one direction - re. youth vs legacy

Last edited:
They can have 34 then, not 30 or
a trade of 22 for essendon 2022r2,r3.
Would we try to get 11 ( really 13).
Would we or they consider 13 for 24,32 ( what the picks are after Darcy,daicos bids).

24,32 are 160 points more than pick 13.

I dont think they will split 11 and if they do its probably with hawks (21 and 24) not our lower picks.
I think 32 or 34 for their future 2nd is possible but ideally we want to trade up this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back