Rumour GFC 2021 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Two seconds gets it done for me. 22 yo starting ruckmen don’t grow on trees...as us Cats supporters know too well.
They don't but I feel that's a lot in this draft for the kid. He's not without limitations and I worry a bit about the injury history.

If he can carry his current form for the year and not get injured then I'd feel fine about it. But having just cleared the ward of players we can't get on the park, I'd be hesitant to risk throwing heaps at it.

Do you mean he's under the impression the club doesn't intend to give him a new deal, or do you mean he's leaning towards retirement from a personal perspective?
My sense of it was a bit of both. Things have come to their natural end from both parties’ perspective.

I suspect he stays a Docker till he is OOC unless they are happy to move him ...
Let's see how the rest of the season plays out, but yeah injuries to the same knee 6 months apart could be coincidence, could be a reason to call up your mate Sumich to generate a story for the media.

I have heard that he believes this will be his last year.

Sounds like a bs rumour. He’s only just turned 30.

How come Peter Wright was traded for a future 4th? What did I miss there?

Cause he’s a spud who couldn’t even get a game for gold coast. Seriously, if you are that bad you can’t even get a game for that dumpster fire team then you are clearly not up to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like a bs rumour. He’s only just turned 30.

Cause he’s a spud who couldn’t even get a game for gold coast. Seriously, if you are that bad you can’t even get a game for that dumpster fire team then you are clearly not up to it.
Maybe but his body doesn't seem to be holding up. Could see it being true

On this part - pushing past Witts is no easy task. The rest of the team can be a dumpster fire but he isn't competing for small forward.

On this part - pushing past Witts is no easy task. The rest of the team can be a dumpster fire but he isn't competing for small forward.
I don’t mind Wright as a player but he wasn’t competing with Witts. He’s not a number 1 ruck he’s a key forward.

Are they? How exactly? What’s the evidence for this? It would seem to be they’re completely ambivalent. Their desperation didn’t stop us making a grand final.

It’s like the unending nonsense on here that they’ve got it in for Hawkins - even though the last two times he’s either been cited or had an incident highlighted he’s gotten off. They aren’t persecuting him very well.

Teams that stay seemingly unendingly at the top of the ladder don't suit the AFL's agenda. They would far prefer to see teams move down and move up, year upon year. Helps to maintain interest across the entire supporter base and keep the dollars rolling in. Having just a few successful teams over long periods is not advantageous to them at all. The very nature of the draft speaks directly to this reality.

As for the issue of Hawkins, it's been discussed ad infinitum in other threads. Some here clearly have more sympathy for him than others.

Is it though? He has only had a couple of minor injuries like adductors and calf injuries.

Your opinion doesn’t match the reality. He’s not an iron man, but he’s far from nakia though. He’s had a reasonable run of games every year.
I don't know but to me it looks like he's not come back in good nick after the calf this year. He always seems to be carrying something

Teams that stay seemingly unendingly at the top of the ladder don't suit the AFL's agenda. They would far prefer to see teams move down and move up, year upon year. Helps to maintain interest across the entire supporter base and keep the dollars rolling in. Having just a few successful teams over long periods is not advantageous to them at all. The very nature of the draft speaks directly to this reality.

Given that in the last 15 years alone, Geelong won 3 flags in 5 years, Hawthorn 4 in 8 (and 3 successive), and Richmond 3 in 4 years, they're either really bad at it, or they don't have as much as paranoid interest as some fans like to imagine. They setup the draft and everything else absolutely, but if clubs are stupid enough to mismanage their picks, that's their fault.

Given that in the last 15 years alone, Geelong won 3 flags in 5 years, Hawthorn 4 in 8 (and 3 successive), and Richmond 3 in 4 years, they're either really bad at it, or they don't have as much as paranoid interest as some fans like to imagine. They setup the draft and everything else absolutely, but if clubs are stupid enough to mismanage their picks, that's their fault.

I never called it paranoid interest. They set up the draft to equalise the competition, in the hope that clubs don't achieve what we (and two others) have managed over this period. As you say, clubs can utterly mismanage their picks and list management. But I simply don't agree that the AFL is ambivalent about whether clubs like Geelong stay close to the pointy end for season after season. I believe they would clearly prefer for other clubs to be really igniting their fans' interest in the game, rather than watching clubs like ours roll out another season of contention. You don't grow great passion for the game with a developing demographic by seeing some teams just about entrenched at either end of the spectrum.

You can certainly argue that their attempts to see clubs cycle up and down the ladder incessantly aren't greatly successful. But I don't think it's controversial at all to point out that they'd be rather pleased to see Geelong 'take its turn' somewhere else in the pecking order for a few seasons. Doesn't make commercial sense for them to see it any other way. And surely you'd be the last person to believe they are inherently motivated by anything more noble than the almighty dollar in the final analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back