Rumour GFC 2021 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally agree. And I could certainly be wildly wrong with my estimation above. But I do think those players in particular look like really good prospects.

They have to get through mostly unscathed on the injury front (Cooper Stephens is getting very worrying on this metric) and also develop steadily. But Simpson and Close are already two that I never really expected to come through who are showing more than enough.

IWWT.

I think Stephens has only had one injury since he has been at Geelong, played all last year and it was an impact injury. I would not be worried about him yet, would love to see him back very soon though.

He just has to 'tick a few boxes' in his recovery and will be out there I am sure (if you ask Lloyd).

I think Stephens has only had one injury since he has been at Geelong, played all last year and it was an impact injury. I would not be worried about him yet, would love to see him back very soon though.

He just has to 'tick a few boxes' in his recovery and will be out there I am sure (if you ask Lloyd).

I think you're probably right with all this. Just haven't seen him seemingly moving closer to returning to the field in recent weeks. Almost seems to have entered the Otto-inspired 'Danger Zone' of an incessant '1-2 weeks' at this point.

What would Brody Miocech cost in a trade? He is contracted but the pies need to go full rebuild and could be interested in letting him go. Does a second rounder get it done?

He re-signed last year for 2-years and that was his first full contract after coming off the rookie list, and being 28 so he's likely on a decent wage as this next couple of years will be his key earning time in terms of his career

Across his career he's averaged 1.6 goals a game, this year it's at 2.1 per game - Collingwood would want a first round pick and probably want the new team to take his salary also, but not sure I see him leaving

I see Riccardi played in defence in the VFL and had something like 40 touchs and 19 marks. Not sure why we did not take him. Apart from the name, he was a mature tall who would have been a good fit.

Now not sure. It depends on how we see Dek in the future. Riccardi is a nice size and a good mark. 22 and has given a glimpse of what he can do. Someone will tempt him if he is stuck behind Hogan.

JAKE RICCARDI (GWS)

The Giants have four forwards – Jesse Hogan, Harry Himmelberg, Riccardi and Jeremy Finlayson. And with Riccardi currently tipped out of the side, he went back on the weekend. The result against a Southport team that had won its first two games – 198 ranking points, 40 possessions, 19 marks, 14 intercept possessions, seven intercept marks. It doesn’t mean he’s Chris Grant, but if Hogan stays fit, recruiters would be aware one of the other three forwards might spill out. GWS might see his future back as a replacement for Phil Davis, but don’t all big men want to play key forward?
Pretty sure that Riccardi is no relation to ours from the 90s/00s, so there was no reason for us to single him out as a prospect over any other player. Happy to be corrected.

Pretty sure that Riccardi is no relation to ours from the 90s/00s, so there was no reason for us to single him out as a prospect over any other player. Happy to be corrected.
different Riccardi

I recall this being discussed when he was a potential draftee

Go Catters

There is no relation, that was not my point. However the name was enough for us to not have missed him. The question over a relationship to Peter was raised multiple times. Considering he was mature VFL player id have thought he may have fitted our approach more than who we drafted with the pick. Playing at Werribbe, he was certainly not someone we missed. We moved up at and took Tarheny before he was drafted by GWS. He has already played. So far Tarheny looks like a wasted pick. No matter. Done now.

Will be interested to see how his career proceeds. Probably will go somewhere for an R2 or R3 pick if he feels he is stuck behind Hogan. and at his age would not be the worst option on our list as a long term replacement for Hawkins. Of course he could probably go to somewhere like Collingwood and get games almost immediately, and put Moore back again.

He re-signed last year for 2-years and that was his first full contract after coming off the rookie list, and being 28 so he's likely on a decent wage as this next couple of years will be his key earning time in terms of his career

Across his career he's averaged 1.6 goals a game, this year it's at 2.1 per game - Collingwood would want a first round pick and probably want the new team to take his salary also, but not sure I see him leaving

i wouldn’t have thought he’d be in more than 450k? So salary not a huge issue but I wouldn’t give up a first for him. But I do love him, big Bodie, competes in the air and at ground level and finishes well.

Maybe there’s more common ground than I thought. I agree with all of that.

Perhaps where we differ is I think we will easily be able to replace those we lose over the next four years with a combination of draft, trade and FA. I think the last 6-7 years shows it’s eminently possible. I’m yet to be convinced there’s some change needed to the current strategy.

If I flip it then ...you are happy with our list atm?

If I flip it then ...you are happy with our list atm?
I’m comfortable it’s a strong list, very strong actually, and as well placed as any to win the flag.

I’m comfortable it’s a strong list, very strong actually, and as well placed as any to win the flag.

So no finishes out of the 8 on the horizon, or slides into the middle tier.

Lets say the next 3-4 years, you would attempt to add more FA's and mature players while we still have Dangerfield, that been rest to now we have Cameron we keep adding matures? The next 2 to 3 years would be to trade our R1 picks and use FA to add as much mature talent as we can to maximise Cameron Danger etc.

This year for eg offer a club our FR1 for a player that would add to our current best22?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems any mid that is in his third year on the list has to break in and become a best 22 player if he is to be a long term alf player. So sometime this year or next he has to push in.

Currently the highest ranked from that draft top not have made a debut, in front of kemp who was coming off a knee. He has time, only 20 but there are not many example of gun players waiting too long to play.

So no finishes out of the 8 on the horizon, or slides into the middle tier.

Lets say the next 3-4 years, you would attempt to add more FA's and mature players while we still have Dangerfield, that been rest to now we have Cameron we keep adding matures? The next 2 to 3 years would be to trade our R1 picks and use FA to add as much mature talent as we can to maximise Cameron Danger etc.

This year for eg offer a club our FR1 for a player that would add to our current best22?
I’d advocate for a flexible approach. I don’t believe in trying to maximise the window when you have certain star players. You should always aim to have star players and enough talent around them to be successful.

I would be open to trading picks this year and any year where the incoming talent is going to contribute something commensurate with the value of the pick.

I’d advocate for a flexible approach. I don’t believe in trying to maximise the window when you have certain star players. You should always aim to have star players and enough talent around them to be successful.

I would be open to trading picks this year and any year where the incoming talent is going to contribute something commensurate with the value of the pick.

I would agree. And I absolutely believe this is what happened again at the end of last season. I see that Jez, Higgins and Smith will be worth the cumulative cost in terms of both picks and cap. But I also accept that the 'flag or fail' merchants will decry the deals even if we falter five seconds short of the line in the GF this year. Objectively, though, I think the deals stand up and keep us well and truly in the mix for now.

And, as you say, the aim is not to simply maximise this 'window' but to also stay around the mark, year upon year. And for all the sniping that happens around here regarding that policy, it's actually proved to be as good or better than just about anything else any other club has offered up in the past decade. Nobody else has been the right side of truly competitive for as long as us in the current climate.

Somehow I dont think we get Hopper for 26

Hopper would be a 10-15pick (realistically next years first unless we use our 3 seconds to trade up) which is value but honestly while i like him we have greater list needs elsewhere..like a ruck.

I would agree. And I absolutely believe this is what happened again at the end of last season. I see that Jez, Higgins and Smith will be worth the cumulative cost in terms of both picks and cap. But I also accept that the 'flag or fail' merchants will decry the deals even if we falter five seconds short of the line in the GF this year. Objectively, though, I think the deals stand up and keep us well and truly in the mix for now.

And, as you say, the aim is not to simply maximise this 'window' but to also stay around the mark, year upon year. And for all the sniping that happens around here regarding that policy, it's actually proved to be as good or better than just about anything else any other club has offered up in the past decade. Nobody else has been the right side of truly competitive for as long as us in the current climate.

Our list management has been better than every club. Sure we dont have the flags to show for it but we finish top 8 more than anyone else when the system is designed to send you down.

On the trades smith cost us nothing and has been great.
Higgins cost us pick 30 and has been good when fit and will be value if he stays fit.
With where essendon will likely finish cameron only cost us about pick 13 + a late pick thats clearly good value.
The only loss was fogarty but he was going whether higgins came or not as we couldnt give him the gametime he needed due to excessive depth in our midfield.

25 hit outs (more than Naitanui) and 15 possessions for Sean Darcy today.

I’m not a big fan of his but if we want a ready made ruck he’s probably best available, right?

He is but he will cost a lot..i doubt freo release him this year unless clark is involved..next year when he is ooc is more realistic.

He is but he will cost a lot..i doubt freo release him this year unless clark is involved..next year when he is ooc is more realistic.
I’d say Clark gets more certain to request a trade by the day.

Less or more likely ....

Cats look at rucks available at years end?

We clearly need one who is ready now so yes unless rata makes huge progress in that role.

What makes you think that-opportunity or homesickness?
WA clubs will lure him back. He’s not going to stick around for VFL games and getting dropped every second week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back