Rumour GFC 2021 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting into the 2021 year we need a place to discuss all this...

GAJ and HT are gone and the fruits of the TK trade with Stevens and SDK are in year 2

Who else will we get?

Jeremy Cameron is here.
Higgins is here.
Isaac Smith is here.

Who in the FA world should we be talking to given these things are in the works 12 months ahead.

Get it all here

GO Catters

Last edited:

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
I think people are a bit harsh on Danger. He dragged us over the line in 2-4 games. Apart from Joel he is the only player on the list capable of it. Yes he had a poor Grand Final but spent entire 3rd quarter Forward when the ball crossed the centre line once I think. Richmond are probably our worst match up as they have players on ball and down back to cover him. We can only hope it will be different this year with Cameron bringing a different dynamic to the Forward line. One thing you can always be guaranteed from Danger is 100% EFFORT.

So, this is how it looks since he joined the club...

2016 Won AFL MVP Award, AFLCA Champion Player Award, Carji Greeves Medal, Brownlow Medal, Awarded All Australian
2017 Won Carji Greeves Medal, 2nd in Brownlow Medal, Awarded All Australian
2018 2nd in Carji Greeves Medal, 10th in Brownlow Medal, Awarded All Australian
2019 Won Carji Greeves Medal, 2nd in Brownlow Medal, Awarded All Australian
2020 4th in Carji Greeves Medal, 5th in Brownlow Medal, Awarded All Australian

He has certainly not won us too many finals off his own boot, a la Dusty. But how many players actually do that? Martin just looks freakish the way he continues to churn those performances out right now.

I do get how disappointing Danger's GF was. I have no doubt he understands that as well. But to suggest that he has been anything other than extremely good (and valuable) for us since coming home is just wilful ignorance of the facts, as a cursory glance at the accolades listed above would indicate.

Having said that, I'm really happy for Stewart to be the next captain at the club. Danger can focus on bringing his brilliant best to lift the team, and hopefully finally silence some of the inane sniping he cops from some of our own around here.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
I do get how disappointing Danger's GF was. I have no doubt he understands that as well. But to suggest that he has been anything other than extremely good (and valuable) for us since coming home is just wilful ignorance of the facts, as a cursory glance at the accolades listed above would indicate.

But who has actually said that? The criticism at least from me has been in finals - and particularly in the last few seasons. And I don't care what anyone says - his 2020 season to me did not warrant All Australian selection. Point your crosshairs straight at me if you can't handle that.

Having said that, I'm really happy for Stewart to be the next captain at the club. Danger can focus on bringing his brilliant best to lift the team, and hopefully finally silence some of the inane sniping he cops from some of our own around here.

Yes if only supporters would know their place and be silent when you tell them to.

You play great, you deserve praise. You play poorly - especially for high profile stars - you deserve criticism.

His entire 2020 finals series was underwhelming (apart from the Collingwood final), and his Grand final was just terrible. Completely unsighted after half time when the heat went up (two years in a row against Richmond), and playing for frees in the last quarter was a terrible look. You can pretend it didn't happen, but to some of us it's a bad habit he needs to eradicate.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
But who has actually said that? The criticism at least from me has been in finals - and particularly in the last few seasons. And I don't care what anyone says - his 2020 season to me did not warrant All Australian selection. Point your crosshairs straight at me if you can't handle that.

You can keep criticising. It's entirely your right. And also your opinion. Fact is, though, the idea that placing fifth in the Brownlow and being named All Australian captain is indicative of a season unworthy of some accolades does seem an extreme position to me. Being adjudged towards the top of the game by both the umpires and the panel chosen to select the very best in the competition is two relatively objective measures of a high quality season in my view.

Yes if only supporters would know their place and be silent when you tell them to.

You play great, you deserve praise. You play poorly - especially for high profile stars - you deserve criticism.

His entire 2020 finals series was underwhelming (apart from the Collingwood final), and his Grand final was just terrible. Completely unsighted after half time when the heat went up (two years in a row against Richmond), and playing for frees in the last quarter was a terrible look. You can pretend it didn't happen, but to some of us it's a bad habit he needs to eradicate.

Nobody needs to be silent. That's what 'opinion' forums are for. And no need to launch into another diatribe about how poor his GF was. You'll get no argument from me about that. I certainly don't pretend that his woeful effort in the grandy didn't happen. And, despite the smug inferences about his character and integrity from some here, I don't imagine he does, either.

Larry Donohue

Premium Platinum
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I think our kicking to position will improve markedly this year with the acqisitions.
Need to keep persuing that line.
Josh Kelly or Merritt to add to Duncan, Smith, Higgins, Clark, Hawkins, Stewart, Guthrie, O'Connor , Selwood.
Gee I hope DeKonning, Stephens and newbies are good by foot

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
I think our kicking to position will improve markedly this year with the acqisitions.
Need to keep persuing that line.
Josh Kelly or Merritt to add to Duncan, Smith, Higgins, Clark, Hawkins, Stewart, Guthrie, O'Connor , Selwood.
Gee I hope DeKonning, Stephens and newbies are good by foot

I can't understand how you can be on a senior list and not be to be honest. The clue is in the name of the sport (it's not 'AFL' either).

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
I can't understand how you can be on a senior list and not be to be honest. The clue is in the name of the sport (it's not 'AFL' either).

I think winning the ball is massively overrated compared to the ability to use it well (or the ability to defend which is massively underrated by fans). But clearly you can easily be worth a spot on a list and be a poor kick. Treloar is the obvious one. He's not a star but clearly a solid player. Even Dangerfield absolutely butchers it a lot of the time.

Every player on a list has some deficiency its just a matter of what.

Decent FA crop at season end...

Including the lightning rod of Guthrie for us.

Im sure he re-sings with us as the season goes on... but any other fish we go after or is it time to just pause and take all the Picks to the draft.

GO Catters

Im sure he re-sings with us as the season goes on... but any other fish we go after or is it time to just pause and take all the Picks to the draft.

GO Catters
I don't see what decent trade in options there'd be on the table so I'm assuming we take the 3x 2nd rounders to the draft. Having drafted a few giraffes lately I'd say we go for mids and mid-fwds in the 180-190cm range

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

GO Catters

My mother used to make a beautiful Apple Pie. She would say .. Ice Cream , Whipped Cream or Custard? I'd say Yes please.

I expect more drafting , more trading, and more Free Agents. All of them.

I cant see us stopping till we have to because the cattle are cooked.

Move 'em on, head 'em up
Head 'em up, move 'em on
Move 'em on, head 'em up, rawhide
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in
Ride 'em in, cut 'em out
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in, rawhide

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
My mother used to make a beautiful Apple Pie. Should would say .. Ice Cream , Whipped Cream or Custard? I'd say Yes please.

I expect more drafting , more trading, and more Free Agents. All of them.

I cant see us stopping till we have to because the cattle are cooked.

Move 'em on, head 'em up
Head 'em up, move 'em on
Move 'em on, head 'em up, rawhide
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in
Ride 'em in, cut 'em out
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in, rawhide
Are you Rowdy Yates?

So, this is how it looks since he joined the club...

2016 Won AFL MVP Award, AFLCA Champion Player Award, Carji Greeves Medal, Brownlow Medal, Awarded All Australian
2017 Won Carji Greeves Medal, 2nd in Brownlow Medal, Awarded All Australian
2018 2nd in Carji Greeves Medal, 10th in Brownlow Medal, Awarded All Australian
2019 Won Carji Greeves Medal, 2nd in Brownlow Medal, Awarded All Australian
2020 4th in Carji Greeves Medal, 5th in Brownlow Medal, Awarded All Australian

He has certainly not won us too many finals off his own boot, a la Dusty. But how many players actually do that? Martin just looks freakish the way he continues to churn those performances out right now.

Brilliant summary.
We are spoilt to have such a player really; he is still in the top 3 in the country. Martin, Fyfe, Danger. Yes, disappointing finals, but his style is so different from Dusty who can literally destroy with very few possessions, and he has that down to perfection.
Danger's style is overall more taxing on the body, and he is just not as good a finisher, but his cumulative output over a season is second to very few.

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Brilliant summary.
We are spoilt to have such a player really; he is still in the top 3 in the country. Martin, Fyfe, Danger. Yes, disappointing finals, but his style is so different from Dusty who can literally destroy with very few possessions, and he has that down to perfection.
Danger's style is overall more taxing on the body, and he is just not as good a finisher, but his cumulative output over a season is second to very few.
Dangers goal kicking would improve at least 20% if someone pulled him aside and showed him how to hold and drop the ******* football.

Dangers goal kicking would improve at least 20% if someone pulled him aside and showed him how to hold and drop the ******* football.
Has he become an Old Dog, or a Leopard?
I fear it's nearly too late to alter his way of doing things once he is in full flight, but set shots, maybe.

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Has he become an Old Dog, or a Leopard?
I fear it's nearly too late to alter his way of doing things once he is in full flight, but set shots, maybe.
Its actually only set shots where he does it. If you watch him this year his field kicking and shots on the run were great because its instinct, theres no need to think about what you do, you just do it.

But watch when he has a set shot. Routine is a bit iffy. Spins the ball around in the hands a bit. Holds it high up and then also on an angle. Its frustrating because all he needs is a one on one lesson with Lloyd for example, who had a spot on ball drop, and practise set shots for 10 mins after training and he would kick at least 20% more accurately.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Its actually only set shots where he does it. If you watch him this year his field kicking and shots on the run were great because its instinct, theres no need to think about what you do, you just do it.

But watch when he has a set shot. Routine is a bit iffy. Spins the ball around in the hands a bit. Holds it high up and then also on an angle. Its frustrating because all he needs is a one on one lesson with Lloyd for example, who had a spot on ball drop, and practise set shots for 10 mins after training and he would kick at least 20% more accurately.

Your assessment is spot on, and the bolded infuriates me - it's actually surprising his goalkicking isn't even worse than it is.

The angled grip on the ball forces Dangerfield to compensate on the ball drop; it's an unnecessary complication to his technique.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Your assessment is spot on, and the bolded infuriates me - it's actually surprising his goalkicking isn't even worse than it is.

The angled grip on the ball forces Dangerfield to compensate on the ball drop; it's an unnecessary complication to his technique.

I think he plants his left foot a bit on a set shot, he ends up kicking kicking leaning back, where as when he is running it more natural, but its all pretty loose. He looks like someone who could alwsy do stuff naturally, and never had to put time into a routine. Not unusual these days. Any kid with dangers talent, good luck trying to tell them to change when they are the star of their side.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
I think he plants his left foot a bit on a set shot, he ends up kicking kicking leaning back, where as when he is running it more natural, bit its all pretty loose. He looks like someone who could alwsy do stuffnaturally ,and never he to put time into a routine. Not unusual these days. Any kid with danger talent, good luck try to tell them to change when tehy are the star of their side.
Well hopefully watching Shitmunds idiot down the other end who has worked hard on his talent and has 3 norm smiths and flags to show for it, with one being at Dangers expense, does enough to motivate him for 2021.

Larry Donohue

Premium Platinum
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Getting into the 2021 year we need a place to discuss all this...

GAJ and HT are gone and the fruits of the TK trade with Stevens and SDK are in year 2

Who else will we get?

Jeremy Cameron is here.
Higgins is here.
Isaac Smith is here.

Who in the FA world should we be talking to given these things are in the works 12 months ahead.

Get it all here

GO Catters
ok daz, here goes
we need to go young next year with mid acquisitions
if merrett or j.kelly available, one of them for disposal numbers and accuracy would suit our gamestyle
a well established ruckman to guide our new kids would be brilliant too. A Naismith or Witts would suffice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back