Rumour GFC 2021 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not correct - his contract at North finished this year, but he signed on for 2-years when he joined us; appears footywire hasn't updated info from his days at North

"Higgins, 32, was under contract at the Roos for 2021 but was told he was free to look elsewhere to secure his future and will accept a two-year deal at the Cattery."

Good. Being prematurely written off in here.

Does anyone think Charlie Curnow might be gettable at some point? He's been on big coin, and hasnt been on the ground...

He'll probably be gone from Blues whenever he turns FA... Post 2023?

Our second I think

They will want more than that they rate him highly. Even ess/gws 2nd in the early 20s wont get it done while hes contracted.

Assuming we wont trade clark it would have to involve our FR1 or neale...thatd be a gamble long term but we do really need a ruck now.

They will want more than that they rate him highly. Even ess/gws 2nd in the early 20s wont get it done while hes contracted.

Assuming we wont trade clark it would have to involve our FR1 or neale...thatd be a gamble long term but we do really need a ruck now.
If they rate him they can keep him then. I know he's only 22 but I think a ruck needs a second position for today's footy and parking him in the goalsquare isn't really that. He's also genuinely injury prone.

I think there need's to be a clear determination here. If he's coming it's because we think we're a flag threat next year. If that's the case he can't be the only one. I would be prepared to bring him in if he was hot on the heels of say Zach Merrett as a free agent plus maybe Tucker. If he's the only one we're adding then I think it's a waste of time and we'd be better suited sticking with Neale/Tsapatolis

I'll also add that rucks that aren't elite rarely go for anything like that. You're either Brody Grundy or Zach Smith

If they rate him they can keep him then. I know he's only 22 but I think a ruck needs a second position for today's footy and parking him in the goalsquare isn't really that. He's also genuinely injury prone.

I think there need's to be a clear determination here. If he's coming it's because we think we're a flag threat next year. If that's the case he can't be the only one. I would be prepared to bring him in if he was hot on the heels of say Zach Merrett as a free agent plus maybe Tucker. If he's the only one we're adding then I think it's a waste of time and we'd be better suited sticking with Neale/Tsapatolis
We can't afford Merrett for starters.

We can't afford Merrett for starters.
We have a huge number out of contract in the next year or two and a lot wont be here, I don't know how we could be out of cap room

In any case, I'm not strongly advocating we go get Merrett. Just saying that unless we get a few others in then simply bringing a ruck while a bunch of key players retire without replacement means bringing in the ruck is a waste of time

Does anyone think Charlie Curnow might be gettable at some point? He's been on big coin, and hasnt been on the ground...

He'll probably be gone from Blues whenever he turns FA... Post 2023?
I'm a big fan of Charlie Cunrow. But he is one of the AFLs most unluckiest players. The constant injuries have held him back. When he is up and playing he a serious talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Putting aside such a difference in player... Darcy V Stanley , on paper its very similar. One might even argue that Darcy , as a ruck , is more valuable than Stanley at StK who was still trying to find a role.

That we have to pay .."whatever" is a consequence of not doing what we did last year ... 5 or 6 years ago. If We say that Geelong is very good at spotting underlying Rookie B type talent... Blitz, MOC etc. ... than Tsap maybe be ready in about 3-5 years. Neale show forward potential..he might be earlier than that in another role. He seems to me to be potentially a good match to Darcy as a ute ruck forward... so great if we can work out a way to keep him ....

but I suspect most will not like the cost of Darcy, just like most did not like what we paid for Stanley....yet now the P21 we paid has reaped us near 100 games.. which is probably better than average for a p21, certainly better than Goddard and Bundy.

We have a huge number out of contract in the next year or two and a lot wont be here, I don't know how we could be out of cap room

In any case, I'm not strongly advocating we go get Merrett. Just saying that unless we get a few others in then simply bringing a ruck while a bunch of key players retire without replacement means bringing in the ruck is a waste of time
Like Ottens?

I just do not feel the club thinks like that they, seem to look at multiple ways to add talent .. and we look at having added Cameron and Smith and perhaps Higgins to add to Danger and others already here. Its more about ensuring that all the otehr talent is not deprived of a chance thru not having a ruck. With all those players already on our list , adding Darcy compared to another kid probably is seen as a more targeted approach . Sure if we could add Merrett , it would fit the list build, do we have the money without someone else going?

Id sy looking at the contribution of Smith so far , is sort of an example of why they like in system players. And he cost zero. So I could see us liking to add knowns like Darcy and Tucker and Merrett rather than a kid... what stops us going that way 100% is SCap and the collateral to get deals done.

An interesting question would be is a what we would be prepared to do to add merrit if he said he wanted to come. He would be 26 and about the 22nd oldest on our current list, nearly all our best player are older than him

Trading 2 R1 picks for Ottens ... very few say we over paid now... but it could have all gone pear shaped.
I think on average trading two of our first rounders of the past 10-15 years for a potential 'missing piece' looks pretty good. Maybe you're unlucky and trade away Selwood + TK (a second rounder I know) for a dud but history says it's more likely to be Mitch Brown + Billy Smedts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back