Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists PT2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack Bowes will be 25 before he even pulls the hoops on and is currently not in our best 22. For whatever excuse you have he wasn’t in a poor Gold Coast team this year. His issue wasn’t talent which is pretty much all you need to understand about those aspiring to be captain.

Zach Guthrie is closer to being captain of the GFC than him.

Thats my opinion 😉

Ps I still look fwd to Jack playing many good games of football for the GFC.

Pretty much agree. The history I posted a while ago.... Most of our capt have been on our list for 6 years plus before given the job

It's now conventional wisdom on this forum that the draft is very shallow - only 3 good players I read in one post! I'm not disagreeing; I wouldn't know.

What does intrigue me is how these perceptions begin and gather steam; I'm assuming there a lot of unofficial talent-spotters out there who follow all the junior leagues closely.

But shallow or not, I'd be surprised if some good players, currently unheralded, don't emerge in time from next week's drafts. Think of Dane Rampe, just one of many excellent players found by the Swans later in the NAB draft or the rookie draft. Think of Brad Close.

No doubt some of those tipped to go top 20 in next week's draft will prove to be busts, but good players will emerge from the second and third rounds over time IMO.
It is not that there is only 3 good players, it's pick 25 could be as good as pick 8

LOL. Sorry bud. I am gonna call BS on that statement Vdubs.
There is always an element of a go somewhere factor if one's place isn't what they expect.
Happy players that are well remunerated, well looked after will stay 90% of the time.
We've drafted a few Sandgropers in my time with Tim Kelly being the only one wanting to head home.
As long as we don't draft another 23 year old with 3 kids with medical issues and a Mrs that wears the pants we are laughing.
Harry Taylor Mitch Duncan Sam Menegola stayed and most likely for less dollars.
There is a long list of quality players quite happy staying put says that statement is incorrect.
Paddy Cripps Liam Baker Shai Bolton Aaron Naughton Brandon Starcevich Will Powell Sam Taylor Sam P Pepper
Darcy Cameron Tim English Chad Warner
The go home factor didn't seem to sway them to leave to go home.
My statement is that. Happy players with thick wallets tend to stay lol.
Jordan Clark.

It is not that there is only 3 good players, it's pick 25 could be as good as pick 8
Spot on... been saying that for awhile. After pick 3 the next 15/20 are much of a muchness.
Hope they look at the upside they can bring in 2-3 years as they wont be getting a game in 2023 unless they are truly exceptional players.

Yep. We shipped him off. Didn't cut the mustard. Never bought into the program.
Whoever did the psych test on him should be moved on... Oops he's going to North, i'll take that back lol.
We shipped him off because he asked to return back to WA.

LOL. Sorry bud. I am gonna call BS on that statement Vdubs.
There is always an element of a go somewhere factor if one's place isn't what they expect.
Happy players that are well remunerated, well looked after will stay 90% of the time.
We've drafted a few Sandgropers in my time with Tim Kelly being the only one wanting to head home.
As long as we don't draft another 23 year old with 3 kids with medical issues and a Mrs that wears the pants we are laughing.
Harry Taylor Mitch Duncan Sam Menegola stayed and most likely for less dollars.
There is a long list of quality players quite happy staying put says that statement is incorrect.
Paddy Cripps Liam Baker Shai Bolton Aaron Naughton Brandon Starcevich Will Powell Sam Taylor Sam P Pepper
Darcy Cameron Tim English Chad Warner
The go home factor didn't seem to sway them to leave to go home.
My statement is that. Happy players with thick wallets tend to stay lol.

Im very much ...be aware of the happiness of the kid. I think the term "go home" is really just a cop out to give players some sort of coverage for moving ..which I do not think they need. If player wants to move and choose etc ...fine. They hade no choice at the draft..so once they are out of contrcat ..I have no problem with choice.

Having said that ... The vast majority of players stay if happy . Money? I think most of the time they good get good dollars everywhere How manhy GWS and GC kids move for money? Sometimes move for less. My thinking is if they are in the best 22. then they probably are happy more often than not. .... so id adjust your statement to

My statement is that. Happy players in the best22 tend to stay.

I have no doubt that the players think has changed. What happened in years past may not be so for the next few years. Would Holmes be as locked into Geelong if he was not getting played? I think most of us are a little nervous about Neale for example.

So this is where I feel we must be careful when we draft someone. I have no confidence that a super confident kid like Phil will hang in there if he is still in the VFL after two years. (for example). so I feel we have to be cognisant that if we draft from interstate...even from Melb... we best be aware if they are happy to play VFL and wait for their chance. If not we best work out how quick they are going to be in the side.

We shipped him off because he asked to return back to WA.
Bahahaha... Yeah... Nah.
His papers were already stamped well before the penny dropped that he was on the outer.
Too smart for his own good.
I guess asking to go home after being told he was going sounds a little better in some eyes.
Either way he was shipped out without a whimper from any of his teammates which tells me more than enough tbh.

Bahahaha... Yeah... Nah.
His papers were already stamped well before the penny dropped that he was on the outer.
I guess asking to go home after being told he was going sounds a little better in some eyes.
Either way he was shipped out without a whimper from any of his teammates which tells me more than enough tbh.

👍

So if it's true that pick 25 could turn as good as pick 3, then...

If Wells and co really rate 3 in the top 8, outside of Ashcroft of course, and they're all gone by our pick, then...

a case could be made for swapping 8 for 2 in the teens.

Against that, 10-20 is arguably Wells's least successful draft band, Holmes being a recent exception. It's a long time since James Kelly, Harry Taylor or Menzel.

Decisions, decisions!

Bahahaha... Yeah... Nah.

Talented kid but there were a number of issues at the time that affected his performance.
We covered his loss admirably and he is far more content back here so I reckon that's a win/win all round :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there is a Top 15 in this draft. I'd probably be okay trading pick 7 if we can get one pick around 14 or 15, plus another first rounder later in this draft or a first rounder in next year. Means trading with only GWS, Swans or Eagles.

So if it's true that pick 25 could turn as good as pick 3, then...

If Wells and co really rate 3 in the top 8, outside of Ashcroft of course, and they're all gone by our pick, then...

a case could be made for swapping 8 for 2 in the teens.

Against that, 10-20 is arguably Wells's least successful draft band, Holmes being a recent exception. It's a long time since James Kelly, Harry Taylor or Menzel.

Decisions, decisions!

Our most recent picks in that range were Holmes (20), SDK (19), Stephens (16), Clark (15). Not a bad strike rate.

I havent watched any vision on any of the possible draft picks - just reading the thread out of interest

But the general vibes i get about Clark reading the thread - is there is alot of doubt about him - not quick

Sounds a bit like a young Steve Malaxos -looks a million bucks - but wasnt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back