Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists PT2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So back on topic...

According to the main board rumour thread, Cal Twomey and club boards, these are the rumours going around (they think the Top 7 is set now):

- Dees have offered two firsts to GC, North and Essendon, and been rebuffed by all - as likely to be both picks in the 12-18 range for a Top 5 pick.

- Humphrey rumoured to have interviewed 10 times with GC and favoured to land there. GC originally thought Essendon would snare him, so they were looking at Ginbey and Clark - but now have settled on Humphrey.

- Essendon and Hawks both tossing up between Tsatas and Phillipou - and will take whichever one the other doesn't take.

- Jhye Clark likely to get through to us as a result of all this. Doesn't mean we'll take him...but tea leaves are starting to point towards this.

If phillipou and humphrey are off the board but clark and tsatas arent i reckon we will take clark (ie not tsatas) with busslinger as the smokey.

Unless someone makes us a godfather offer for pick 7 and we trade back or into next year. Melbourne for example are clearly targeting someone and want to get up the board if they offered me 13 and a future 1st and future 2nd as a starting point for 7 id consider it.

Watched the VC v WA game today, would be very happy with Clark off the back of that. Also really liked Ginbey from that game.

Also like Noah Long, Oliver Northam, and Corey Tregenza-Cashell - not sure if these guys might be available at our later pick?

I really like northam but playing undersized ruck (which wont be where he plays at afl level) has hurt his draft stocks. All three of those guys will be there in the rookie draft imo (notwithstanding the fact that richmond have some late picks in the ND and will need to take KPPs).

If phillipou and humphrey are off the board but clark and tsatas arent i reckon we will take clark (ie not tsatas) with busslinger as the smokey.

Unless someone makes us a godfather offer for pick 7 and we trade back or into next year. Melbourne for example are clearly targeting someone and want to get up the board if they offered me 13 and a future 1st and future 2nd as a starting point for 7 id consider it.
That offer would be tempting. I'd probably take it given our hand next year.

I really like northam but playing undersized ruck (which wont be where he plays at afl level) has hurt his draft stocks. All three of those guys will be there in the rookie draft imo (notwithstanding the fact that richmond have some late picks in the ND and will need to take KPPs).
Northam is the worst kick liken it to James Manson Collingwood

Clark was being spoken about as a potential number 1 pick last year.
Although other players have developed he looks to at least have held as he went up the age group.
He just looks to have all the attributes to have a long afl career. All the other mids we’ve drafted recently have question marks or things they need to improve at afl level.
Clark shows the difference picking in the top 10 vs late first round picks.
If he is available at our pick I think we’d be mad not to pick him.

He looks like he’d play round 1 if he was picked. Doesn’t mean he’d play every game but if he was picked and Stephens was still on the list I’d say Clark would be playing more games next year. Which shows why Stephens decided to leave adding also Bruhn and the draftees from last year.

Hoping we pick a couple of key defenders with late pick and rookie. That would give us a really good balanced list. We will need some mature players in the vfl to help develop all the youngsters we have there.

Bahahaha... Yeah... Nah.
His papers were already stamped well before the penny dropped that he was on the outer.
Too smart for his own good.
I guess asking to go home after being told he was going sounds a little better in some eyes.
Either way he was shipped out without a whimper from any of his teammates which tells me more than enough tbh.
It would be pretty unusual for teammates to comment on a move, beyond the normal platitudes about being happy for someone.

Clark is a good player. He seemed to do very well in our system and then not; it has been said there was a clash with Scarlett; Scarlett has been moved on.

Whatever happened - covid, coaching, overconfidence - blaming 100% on player seems to me as unlikely right as blaming 100% on club. The fact that we were phoning him the day of the draft to ask if he would be ok coming to the eastern states speaks to a bad start ... that said, things can change, and a happy player went to being a very unhappy one.

The more general point is that however good your planning for the draft, it's the development - all aspects of the environment, not just the footy skills - that will see whether a player wants to stay, or does not. Good development means selection, selection means people feel good. We seem to have made a big jump in that over the last 18 months, and it's paying off.

So we are back to our pattern from 2005-2015: a couple of games in your first year; 6-8 in your second; 12-13 or full time in your third. Trust the kids. Players who don't get those early games are in trouble - we seem to prefer to give draftees three years, but it's pretty easy to spot the delistings 18 months out. Apart from those who don't get any games at all, anyone who, like Clark, played fewer games than a previous year is set for delisting or trade. The pattern is strong enough that every player in the club would know where they (and teammates) are headed.

Pick seven should get games next year, but only a couple unless they do turn out to be Joel Mk II - odds on which, 1000/1.

Last edited:

I'm all for keeping and using #7... but god dayum 13 + Dees F1 + F2 as a starting point... Ahhh yeah ok lets deal.

Like the thinking ... but the problem with 13 is that the Eagles have already had two picks. If Ginbey is going to the Gold Coast then Eagles taking Busslinger at 12?

Very doubtful GC take Ginbey... Humprey looks like their guy (sadly because I want Humpa badly).
Yeah it sounded like that, didn't it. So do the Eagles take Allan (in spite of the Freo connection) and Ginbey which means Busslinger is still there? An assessment of that likelihood might be shaping our thinking ... all depends on the assessment of Clark ... it's getting to the point where I'm going to feel sorry for him if the Cats don't take him ....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing that hurts Clark is his highlights. The only thing that the vast majority of BigFooty ppl care about his your two minute highlights package. Happens year after year. You can name them. Clark has been so exposed for so long that ppl get use to 25 possessions, hard as nails and a great decision maker. My only concern on Clark is his height. At 180cm can he translate that same game style at the AFL level. Others have so it’s not out of the question. You’d like to think he’s favourite player is L Neale who plays a similar grinding workman like style.

I’d be very happy with Clark. Honestly I’m actually not fazed at all on who we get this year. With that in mind I would love to see us leverage an extra pick next year somehow. Slide down a spot or two for an extra 2nd round next year.

Like the thinking ... but the problem with 13 is that the Eagles have already had two picks. If Ginbey is going to the Gold Coast then Eagles taking Busslinger at 12?
So Ed Allan it is then lol. Or the better WA mid in Hewitt??
Maybe Olli Hotton making his way down the highway?
Whoever we get we'll be all rapt i'd say.

That’s not what they are offering. They want a top 5 pick and are offering two picks likely to fall btw 15-20. Hence why it was rejected. The only difference btw their offer and GWS & Sydney’s is it involves future picks. Plus they want more return than Sydney want.

Every year the following draft is going to be a super draft. The exact same thing was said about this draft 12 months ago “ don’t trade or take a mid as next year is stacked with generational talls”.

It’s Melbourne MO. They have worked out that clubs drink the Kolo-Aid on this myth and are constantly trying to take advantage of it year after year by bringing fwd their draft capital.

It a nice thought but I think the dees have someone in mind..perps Phil or Hump... not sure. Someone gone by out P8.....probably

But .... P8. for. P14. plus FP18 Plus FP36 (worst case)

That outcome would be insane.

You would do that and then you would butter the toast when it was cooked in two years time... and y\take what you could at 14. Be interesting who everyone would pick if we did that deal
I know for sure Vdubs would go all in on get Hayes.:) ... and at that number , id not be in ardent disagreement but there would be a few Id consider ..depend who would be there. Hotton, Hayes..even George.. who knows really after 12ish ..its a dogs breakfast I think

On the offical BF draft comp... I whacked down few names ..

14. Melbourne- Matthew Jefferson
15. Sydney- Coby Burgiel
16. Brisbane- Jasper Fletcher
17. GWS- Lewis Hayes
18. Collingwood- Olli Hotton
19. Sydney- Max Gruzewski
20. Essendon- Alwyn DaveyJr
21. GWS- Josh Weddle

Last edited:
not a little bit of irony in the comment? based on the fact that it was a pretty big statement without a single example?

It’s very common knowledge this is a very weak draft. Out of the 18 first round picks, 11 have been traded this year, compared to only 4 or 5 last year. That includes six of the top ten picks.

Additionally, it is projected only 54 picks will be used compared to 65 last year.

Arguing that this is not a weak draft is like arguing water isn’t wet.

It’s very common knowledge this is a very weak draft. Out of the 18 first round picks, 11 have been traded this year, compared to only 4 or 5 last year. That includes six of the top ten picks.

Additionally, it is projected only 54 picks will be used compared to 65 last year.

Arguing that this is not a weak draft is like arguing water isn’t wet.
We'll know in 5 years time whether or not this draft is weak.

Until then it's pointless arguing for or against.

We will know on the night, but I wouldnt discount the club thinking Clark has reached his ceiling and while that is very good, they may go for someone already very good with more ceiling.

Interested to hear your reasoning for this. While you could be right, it does seem an unusual view to take.

The fear with draftees who've 'reached their ceiling' often comes with players who already have AFL bodies. They're essentially men playing against boys. Ben Hobbs copped that criticism last year, as have James Worpel and Jack Graham in the past. There's a fear from clubs to draft them because they are already as physically developed as they ever will be, leaving the room for improvement being minimal in comparison to their peers who still have a low percentage of muscle mass.

I personally don't see that at all with Clark. While he's unlikely to grow taller, he's still got a lot of size to put on his frame. He's no man mountain...in fact he's quite the opposite. At 181cm and 77kg the fact that he's able to be as gritty and tough as he his should bode well for him. You can always add muscle to your frame, what you can't do is teach the tenacity that Clark has. It's one of those things that you either have or you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back