Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists PT2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not saying that would be the deal I just think we'll have to go and be inventive with the pick 7 to get ourselves a draft hand that pleases the clubs we are working with, I really dont see pick 18 and a future 1st getting Bruhn and Henry to the club and nobody we would trade has any value.

Future 1st and 18 is plenty for henry and bruhn when both are ooc.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Peter Ryan confirms what most of us have thought - Pick 7 will NOT be split:

1664967661205.png

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018
Now that we know the state of things, if I was gonna take a guess, based on the current AFL Indicative Draft Order, I'd say we end up doing this:

OUT: Future 1st and Pick 38
IN: Bruhn and GWS Future 2nd (tied to Collingwood)

OUT: GWS Future 2nd (tied to Collingwood)
IN: Bowes, Pick 7

OUT: Pick 18
IN: O. Henry

Overall:

OUT: Future 1st, Pick 18, Future 2nd (Collingwood), Pick 38
IN: Pick 7, Bowes, Bruhn, O. Henry

GWS send Pick 38 on to Melbourne for Bedford and we get our Future 2nd for GC, while they get their Future 1st. Everybody wins.

Last edited:
May 3, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team,
Now that we know the state of things, if I was gonna take a guess, based on the current AFL Indicative Draft Oorder, I'd say we end up doing this:

IN: Bruhn and Future 2nd (tied to Collingwood)

OUT: Future 2nd (tied to Collingwood)

Overall:

How are we getting Collingwood future second exactly?

Yeah... too quick for me I added his name...

I just liked what I saw. Sort of reminded me a bit of Georgiades in a way. he came from nowhere as well

Yeah i can see the similarity in player type although georgi was more physically developed than gruz he was just injured a lot in WA. But yes gruz could bolt up the order the same way.
Midfield depth if we land these targets (2023 season age in brackets)

Centre square: Dangerfield (33), Blicavs (32), Guthrie (31), Atkins (28), Parfitt (25), Bowes (25), Simpson (25), Stephens (22), Bruhn (21), Knevitt (20), Whyte (20), Willis (20), Pick 7 (18/19)

Wings/HFs/HBs: Smith (34), Duncan (32), Tuohy (33), Menegola (31), Close (25), Miers (24), Holmes (21), Dempsey (20), Kroeger (20)

You can really see the thin, almost non-existent, 26-30 year old cohort (hello Jacob Hopper).

Expect us to play in that space in the 2023 player movement period.

Bruhn is the same age as holmes but your analysis is good. I suppose it shows why we chased bowes coming into 25 as we have an age gap there. I agree its a gap we can and likely will address via FA-im not super worried as there will be good mid options to chase next year (hello parish).

Im more worried about our KPP spread..in 2023 hawk 34 stanley ceglar blicavs 32 cameron 30..kolo will be 28 next year too..yes sdk is a star and henry is very good but we need more KPP coming through. I like what ive seen from conway and neale but we will need more and they are harder to get in FA than mids.
We need to do everything we can to convince neale to re-sign next year.

Menegola only had 6 proper games this season (one he was subbed very early, which skews the numbers). Even with the injury interruptions he averaged 20 touches and provided 2 goals (between goals/assists) per game. Which followed on from a number of consistent seasons. People associate him with our slow game plan of old, similar to Kolo who had a career best season in 2022 with more speed/agility around him. He can still push for best 22 even with no injuries (a winger/flanker is a handy option on the bench) but given the likelihood there will be those injuries and Tuohy/Smith/Duncan being increasingly rested, it would be a baffling decision to let him go. Or for him to want to go. He'll get a 1 year extension end of the season and likely get even more game time then.

I agree with your assessment of him as a player completely.
As far as letting him go his age comes into it.
Will be 31 next year and whatever contract he gets after that will be his last contract and we have great depth.
I doubt we push him out but if another club offers him a better 'last contract' and he wants to go we wouldnt stand in his way imo.
I dont see an obvious club coming for him though so i reckon hes here next year.
If hes not best 22 next year then he might leave as an FA then anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DanA

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2006
Richmond
AFL Club
Geelong
It’s gonna be hard to get game time to all these players if we sign them. Looking at the games played by players exiting in the middle:
  • Selwood (21)
  • Narkle (8)
And those on the bubble:
  • Parfitt (17 games)
  • C.Stephens (7 games)
I feel like we probably have space for Bowes (my pick) to be a regular but the other three (Parfitt, Stephens, Bruhn) might be in a bit of a dog fight splitting 30 odd games between them, many as sub. Maybe a few more if injuries strike.

Up forward the exits were:
  • Dahlhaus (10)
  • Higgins (5)
  • Evans (5)
On the bubble:
  • Menegola (7)
  • Rohan (13)
  • Miers (22)
  • Dempsey (2)
If I had to crystal ball it I’d say Menegola squeezes out Miers as a high half forward and Rohan retains his 3rd tall spot. That probably puts Miers/Henry on ten-ish games each with Dempsey out in the cold.

A year or two down the track though it’ll be a lot easier to squeeze everybody in. I could see this as Rohan and Smith’s last year and Danger going in two.

How can we turn any of the following into a f2 pick? 38, 48, 55, 58,64

Would think we would need to:

Package 55&58 for something in the 40’s
Leaves 38, 40 something & 48

38 & 40 something be good enough for a f2?

I have the feeling it’ll probably be rat & 38 to be a chance of a f2 (possibly something else included f4)

I would say this stuff drops late with 3 or 4 clubs involved (which is why our trades arent done yet).
Issue is i dont think gws or pies want later picks this year.
I think either we find a team that needs more picks this year (eg freo have futures but have bugger all picks this year maybe they buy our picks for their F2).
Or we use sav and 38/48 to get us a future 2nd (depends where he wants to go and what picks they have).

Where will the likes of Barnett go? What about some of those names that were hot earlier in the year Keller . Leemey.

All non vics but as late picks... probably going to lose some talls anyway

I think barnett is mid range. I really rate him a lot but some people i respect arent as hot on him..he looks like 20-40 range.
Probably same range for keeler early r2 which is a slide from early in the year.
I know some people have gone really off lemmey due to his up and down form but i still rate him as a mid draft selection.
James van es is also a decent shout as a negating tall back probably late/rookie.
And i like northam as a rookie i know he wont ruck at the next level like he did for falcons but i think that with the right development he could be a good kpd.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
My preference would be in the following order:

1. Wardlaw - exactly the type of mid we need post Selwood. Unlikely he falls to us

2. Phillipou- 192cm contested left footer mid. His highlights show so much potential, very dangerous running into the forward half and completely different to everything young on our list

3. Sheezel - could be the best player of the draft but is a fwd. I’d rather select a mid but he looks like he has the best X factor, Toby greene like

4. Clark - reminds me of parish. Tries very hard around the contest and good leadership but is 180cm and feel he’s similar to what we have (Parfitt Atkins bruhn etc.). Prefer something different like wardlaw (who is the best mid after Ashcroft) or Phillipou. The fact he’s a falcon means zero to me

5. Cadman
6. Tsatas

would not surprise me if they took this kid. size and talent

ICL_EDT_2022_76557_Cals-Phantom-Form-Guide_September-Update_FA_6.jpg

186cm/86kg
11/9/04
Gippsland Power/Vic Country
Forward/midfielder
August ranking: 7

The dynamic nature of Humphrey's game was on show early in Vic Country's loss to Vic Metro last week, when he played deep in attack and controlled the game with some strong marks, clever leads and goalkicking opportunities. He finished with 1.3 for the game, but had an influence on it in his first appearance for Vic Country after missing the mid-year championships game with a knee injury. Humphrey finished second in the NAB League's Morrish Medal after playing just 11 games. Another exciting, powerful forward/midfielder with some traits like Sydney's Isaac Heeney.

40hxXdLv.jpg

Bailey Humphrey in action for Gippsland Power in a NAB League Boys match against Northern Knights at Ikon Park. Picture: AFL Photos
Humphrey would be my next pick, if Clark is gone. I think we will be able to land one or the other with Pick 7.

Former Collingwood recruiter Matt Rendell has urged the Magpies to prioritise the signing of Cat Esava Ratugolea, who is considered a big chance to depart Kardinia Park in the coming week.

Despite being contracted for 2023, there is plenty of interest in 24-year-old Ratugolea according to Geelong list manager Andrew Mackie, with Port Adelaide considered among the frontrunners.

Ratugolea has primarily been used as a key forward in his 59 games at Geelong but was thrown behind the ball at times in his four appearances in 2022 given the Cats are well stocked up forward.

But Rendell believes the 198cm Cat has to go, declaring he’s unlikely to find a spot in Geelong’s best 22.

“It’ll be interesting to see if they can keep hold of players like Ratugolea,” Rendell began on AFL Trade Radio.

Geelong also blooded Shannon Neale and Oliver Dempsey as key forwards in 2022.

---

Turning Ratugolea into O. Henry sounds an interesting prospect; but I have to question if Rendell is aware of who Ollie Dempsey is, or is Dempsey the modern key forward at 185cm?

Dempsey the KPP player weighing in at 72kgs lol.

Yeah i can see the similarity in player type although georgi was more physically developed than gruz he was just injured a lot in WA. But yes gruz could bolt up the order the same way.

Bruhn is the same age as holmes but your analysis is good. I suppose it shows why we chased bowes coming into 25 as we have an age gap there. I agree its a gap we can and likely will address via FA-im not super worried as there will be good mid options to chase next year (hello parish).

Im more worried about our KPP spread..in 2023 hawk 34 stanley ceglar blicavs 32 cameron 30..kolo will be 28 next year too..yes sdk is a star and henry is very good but we need more KPP coming through. I like what ive seen from conway and neale but we will need more and they are harder to get in FA than mids.
We need to do everything we can to convince neale to re-sign next year.

I agree with your assessment of him as a player completely.
As far as letting him go his age comes into it.
Will be 31 next year and whatever contract he gets after that will be his last contract and we have great depth.
I doubt we push him out but if another club offers him a better 'last contract' and he wants to go we wouldnt stand in his way imo.
I dont see an obvious club coming for him though so i reckon hes here next year.
If hes not best 22 next year then he might leave as an FA then anyway.
Not sure if we can land Gruz, if we have a 2nd pick, we might be able trade up the board on the night with the plethora of mid picks.
Sav can go to pies, we can bundle him with a round 2 pick for O Henry if they are that desperate. I doubt though, think Pick 18 and FR1 will be used for Bruhn and O Henry. Henry is the one that might not get done. Bruhn will be done, even though GWS are losing players left right and centre.

Drafts and trading board is a riot atm.

Two weeks ago we were the old age home that had sold its future for some magic beans by paying mercenaries massive money.
Now it is egregious that we're acquiring young talent with the cap space these old blokes leave behind.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
It’s gonna be hard to get game time to all these players if we sign them. Looking at the games played by players exiting in the middle:
  • Selwood (21)
  • Narkle (8)
And those on the bubble:
  • Parfitt (17 games)
  • C.Stephens (7 games)
I feel like we probably have space for Bowes (my pick) to be a regular but the other three (Parfitt, Stephens, Bruhn) might be in a bit of a dog fight splitting 30 odd games between them, many as sub. Maybe a few more if injuries strike.

• Dahlhaus (10)
  • Higgins (5)
  • Evans (5)
On the bubble:
  • Menegola (7)
  • Rohan (13)
  • Miers (22)
  • Dempsey (2)
If I had to crystal ball it I’d say Menegola squeezes out Miers as a high half forward and Rohan retains his 3rd tall spot. That probably puts Miers/Henry on ten-ish games each with Dempsey out in the cold.

A year or two down the track though it’ll be a lot easier to squeeze everybody in. I could see this as Rohan and Smith’s last year and Danger going in two.
Menegola will not squeeze out Miers.

Now that we know the state of things, if I was gonna take a guess, based on the current AFL Indicative Draft Oorder, I'd say we end up doing this:

IN: Bruhn and GWS Future 2nd (tied to Collingwood)

OUT: GWS Future 2nd (tied to Collingwood)

Overall:

GWS send Pick 38 on to Melbourne for Bedford and we get our Future 2nd for GC, while they get their Future 1st. Everybody wins.

I think gws will want more than that (if you think our fr1 will be a late r1) and i also reckon melb will have to take #44 for bedford anyway.

I think if we could flip say 48 and 55/58 for someones future 3rd or something and send that back to gws then they would probably do it.
Its in the ballpark if we can work on it.

bellpark

All Australian
Aug 18, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
I agree with PO on Neale. I was at the Power game in Adelaide when he played. I am thinking he is a replacement for Blitz in a few years after helping bridge the ruck till Conway is full time no 1 ruck. Neale is an exciting player, and in a game Chris Scott quoted after the GF as a crucial one for the team and our system, Neale looked like he belonged and ran everywhere. Perhaps he could be our next hybrid ruck/ruck rover - very rare to get one anytime, and we have Blitz to teach him.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Humphrey would be my next pick, if Clark is gone. I think we will be able to land one or the other with Pick 7.

Dempsey the KPP player weighing in at 72kgs lol.

Not sure if we can land Gruz, if we have a 2nd pick, we might be able trade up the board on the night with the plethora of mid picks.
Sav can go to pies, we can bundle him with a round 2 pick for O Henry if they are that desperate. I doubt though, think Pick 18 and FR1 will be used for Bruhn and O Henry. Henry is the one that might not get done. Bruhn will be done, even though GWS are losing players left right and centre.

Reckon they both get done. Can’t see Henry having to go back to Pie land now. Particularly if they are happy to take p18 for him which has been suggested.,

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018
I think gws will want more than that (if you think our fr1 will be a late r1) and i also reckon melb will have to take #44 for bedford anyway.

I think if we could flip say 48 and 55/58 for someones future 3rd or something and send that back to gws then they would probably do it.
Its in the ballpark if we can work on it.

GWS have already apparently asked for our Future 1st, so it wouldn't surprise me overall if they relented a bit, given they're just on-trading the pick for another player. As long as they get our Future 1st like they've asked for, doesn't seem crazy to think that they'd take a slight downgrade to give us the Future pick we need, so they can get what they want from us for an OOC player who doesn't even want to be there.

We'll see what happens, but it's the closest I've gotten without having to find another team to get involved and buy our later picks

CHAWKTS

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2022
AFL Club
Geelong
  • Selwood (21)
  • Narkle (8)
And those on the bubble:
  • Parfitt (17 games)
  • C.Stephens (7 games)

• Dahlhaus (10)
  • Higgins (5)
  • Evans (5)
On the bubble:
  • Menegola (7)
  • Rohan (13)
  • Miers (22)
  • Dempsey (2)

Decent analysis -assuming a full list. I suspect injuries will mean that the young ones get a handful of games throughout the year but squeezed out again come finals if injuries managed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back