Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists PT2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes agree.

It's hard not to see GFC being infinitely better next year with these list changes - the challenge in the AFL is how quickly do the 17 teams chasing you manage to catch up or pass you by? It's also hard not to see Bowes playing most or all of the year in the AFL team - can't see Chris Scott going back on what he stated to Bowes and his manager in the face to face meetings. Reading between the lines, and also picking up comments last night by Mackie, I think they see Bowes slotting very well into our system and playing a lot of midfield minutes "based on how we play".

Bruhn will develop nicely as well. Both he and Henry are about to play their 3rd year of AFL footy. The time is about right and often draftees take a good 3-4 years on average to find their feet. All clubs have cautioned supporters not to underestimate impact / delayed development in kids drafted during the Covid years. Bowes as a 24 YO is the perfect profile with 80 odd games under his belt. At least 2 of the three players we've brought in this past week will play 200+ games of AFL footy in my opinion. Maybe all three do ...... and a kid named Jhye Clark might not be far behind.
Can i politely ask why

We are the reigning premiers - and spots in the team are very tight - yet someone who last year played 4 games for a rabble - is going to play most games for Geel in 2023

Ican remember 89/90 - Geel in 89 played in a GF - then they recruited Trevor Poole but he was a very good player for Rich - might have won their best and fairest - and slotted in nicely at the Cats - not some bloke who had played 4 games

Im estatic that the Cats are premiers - it is a great feeling as a supporter - actually the ultimate feeling - but some of this overblown hype about some of these recruits" Bowes is going to place most games in the AFL " - id love to know whose spot hes going to take

NOt sure if you're saying it in jest - but it wasnt 6 months ago, where other teams and commentators were pointing out that Atkins, Blicavs and Guthrie were a weak midfield, and Selwood and Danger were past it.
Yes well thats why I don't tend to listen to other teams and commentators.

And god help teams if we shift Holmes into the middle. Good luck catching him.

Can i politely ask why

We are the reigning premiers - and spots in the team are very tight - yet someone who last year played 4 games for a rabble - is going to play most games for Geel in 2023

Ican remember 89/90 - Geel in 89 played in a GF - then they recruited Trevor Poole but he was a very good player for Rich - might have won their best and fairest - and slotted in nicely at the Cats - not some bloke who had played 4 games

Im estatic that the Cats are premiers - it is a great feeling as a supporter - actually the ultimate feeling - but some of this overblown hype about some of these recruits" Bowes is going to place most games in the AFL " - id love to know whose spot hes going to take
Nothing to base that on other than listening to the way Mackie has spoken about him, and also the fact that he sat in front of Chris Scott, Tom Stewart, Patrick Dangerfield and Mitch Duncan and told that we had a role for him and he'll play in our side from day one (or words very close to that).

Deep midfields able to rotate midfield minutes was a key to our success in the GF win ....... David King did a really good overview and it effectively meant that our midfielders were more rested than the opposition and played 22 less minutes in the midfield across an entire match.

The key to that is managing older players, and also having players who can switch and play various roles when required. So if we jump ahead to 2023 and consider who we have at our disposal in the midfield it becomes pretty scary for opposition sides;

Dangerfield
C Guthrie
Atkins
Holmes
Blicavs
Parfitt
Bowes
Bruhn
Duncan
O'Connor
Smith
Close, Rohan, Miers and Stengle push up as high half forwards

Not hard to realise why we moved Cooper Stephens on?

I think "as it stands" is the key part of your comments.

There are many things that can happen between now and next years trade / draft period. I suspect there will be some good players at GFC who play a lot of VFL footy next year. The challenge will be whether they see that as being part of their development, or whether they see that as being held back and missing opportunities they might get elsewhere. Esava was an example of that this year, and we could have landed pick 33 as a result. There will retirements / list management decisions / players from other clubs looking to get to Geelong / or leave Geelong. Most of those scenarios open up potential access to draft picks.

We'll all have opinions but I reckon based purely on recent history, we should be confident that the club has a plan and knows exactly what the next 2-3 years look like from a list management perspective. If our current list structure / profile is not the best in the AFL right now, it must be very very close. I think David King / or Brad Johnston made the point last night ......"Geelong have just set themselves up for further success over the next few years and would be the envy of every other club".

Its why I put it that way... see what our 2023 hand is post draft

Nothing to base that on other than listening to the way Mackie has spoken about him, and also the fact that he sat in front of Chris Scott, Tom Stewart, Patrick Dangerfield and Mitch Duncan and told that we had a role for him and he'll play in our side from day one (or words very close to that).

Deep midfields able to rotate midfield minutes was a key to our success in the GF win ....... David King did a really good overview and it effectively meant that our midfielders were more rested than the opposition and played 22 less minutes in the midfield across an entire match.

The key to that is managing older players, and also having players who can switch and play various roles when required. So if we jump ahead to 2023 and consider who we have at our disposal in the midfield it becomes pretty scary for opposition sides;

Dangerfield
C Guthrie
Atkins
Holmes
Blicavs
Parfitt
Bowes
Bruhn
Duncan
O'Connor
Smith

Plus add in depending on who we take at pick 7 we might get a mid that is ready to get midfield time from day one, plus depending on form Knevitt and Simpson might get a look in as well.

That's a bit silly.

The context was that he was trying to assist our team prepare for opposition players. Which tells us that he is an excellent clubman and will give it his all wherever he goes.

I think he'll be a good player. It's a bit much to start slagging off young players who have left our club.

I'm not one to sit on the fence and dream that every player on our list is going to be up to it.

I call it as I see it and if I'm proven wrong I'm more than happy to be reminded about it.

Nothing against Cooper at all, he seems like a really good kid (almost too nice)... I just feel that we have a bunch of guys either ahead of him, or in a position where they can push past him and him.

I called it months ago... Even at the start of trade period, I stated that I wouldn't be shocked if he was looking to get out If someone wanted him.

By the sounds of it, Mackie might have dangled his name first to break the Henry trade wide open.

I'm happy he will get a good run at the Hawks and we will be able to see what he can truly produce, It really seems like a win/win.

Everyone can note that I have been iffy on Bruhn's ability from what I have seen of him... Although I do believe he will still be better than Stephens.

I want to be proven wrong on Bruhn badly... I'd pay good $$$ to be wrong... But It doesn't stop my logical brain from thinking what it thinks.

All the best the Stephens.

Plus add in depending on who we take at pick 7 we might get a mid that is ready to get midfield time from day one, plus depending on form Knevitt and Simpson might get a look in as well.
Yes potentially add Jhye Clark to that list although I don't want to cast a spell on the poor kid.

Simpson and Knevitt are obviously added depth. Simpson the most likely as his pre injury / concussion football was very good and he was best 22. A bit less pressure on Knevitt with Stephens gone and he get s a chance to develop in the VFL - and with some decent players around him. I'm sure he was aware after his exit meeting that he needs a big pre-season and has to step up in 2023.

There's going to be some very solid AFL ready players spending time playing VFL next year.

Smith Rohan Duncan Dangerfield Guthrie will be carefully managed though the season. Provided we don't cop too many injuries, it could provide really good balance, and a great way to ease a few into more senior footy.

Same applies with Toby Conway. Reckon they'll get 10+ games into him next year. And he might surprise. Perfect way to ease into senior footy if you've got Stanley and Ceglar floating around.

Yes hand and I like the way he moves. To me ..although he is playing ruck..he looks like he could play back

Looks like he could play anywhere from that small highlights package. Took the ruck, rolled down into defence and and took a nice mark and kicked a goal - reminds me of Neale crossed with Blics, IMO

Dangerfield
C Guthrie
Atkins
Holmes
Blicavs
Parfitt
Bowes
Bruhn
Duncan
O'Connor
Smith

Throw in Menegola too and maybe even Willis who could be ready to go next season - it's absolutely jam packed. Problem Coop had I reckon, is that he generally only plays one position - inside mid, so putting into the 22 a selection of Bruhn, Bowes, Parfitt, Menegola etc. made it that much harder to get starting midfield minutes. Guys from the list + Menegola, can play a mix of defence, forward, wing etc. rather than just the one position.

I honestly wish him nothing but the best, and am really sad to see him go - but he seems like an awesome kid and think he'll thrive the more time he gets playing seniors. Did not look out of place at all in the games he played in this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Over 30's OOC end of 2023

Rohan - HENRY
Smith* - HOLMES
Ceglar - NEALE
Blicavs - #7 in time
Stanley - CONWAY
Menegola - BRUHN
Tuohy* - BOWES

* = Assuming they sign on for another year. Lots of water and a whole season to go under the bridge but end of 2023 will again be interesting from a retirement perspective.

The above players are already in place, after this trade period if have little concern about the cliff coming.

A grade VFL side needs an A grade VFL coach - this is actually a really really impressive get; bringing home the VFL Premiership coach to come join us:

Paul Corrigan is also Talent Pathway Coach at the Geelong Falcons.

you mean a salary dump to try to recover from one of the worst TPP and contract situations your own people put your club into?
at 300k per year to try and clean up the mess? Good form to be proud of... but please try and polish that pile of s**t
anyway you can.

GO Catters
No worries. Already acknowledged the s##show that was my club's previous trading team. But happy we've moved on and put all that stuff behind us. Hawks paying most of Mitchell's salary certainly helps offset things as well. Floreat pica

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back