Rumour GFC 2023 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we are now getting into the season and we are starting to get a bit more serious with discussion, seems a suitable time to post the following as it's repeatedly shown itself to be a value reference tool in trade & draft discussion

And as per normal, thanks to Lore for putting this together - always a fantastic reference tool

And yes this post is now stickied - makes it easy to keep track of (can easily reverse this though if needed)

The same person that dropped the Brad Close mature rookie selection out of left field is dropping Frank Szekely.

Reckon he’s a big chance for a rookie spot. Interesting as I didn’t hear him mentioned mid season.
who was that?? and that name i've seen before. mentioned earlier in this thread i think.

They’d be pretty silly to be saying that, but reading into what they have said it sounds like they’ll return to wa at some point. Allen obviously has pretty deep footy roots in wa. Ginbey is from dunsborough and although he could get some similar vibes being down the surf coast it wouldn’t surprise if he wanted to head back home and get to his community.
I just think it’s too big a risk to take with such an early pick for a club that has not had access to them.
Overaction on your part i reckon

What about Mitch Duncan

Me too with Blitz and how wrong we all were. To be fair he was like a giraffe in a Geelong jumper early on wasn't he?

Close -what can we say? I rerererere...watched the GF the other day and he is so clean and creative. What a kid.
Watching the Collingwood final and it was Close and Atkins that seriously stepped up in the second quarter to wrest the game our way.

Watching the Collingwood final and it was Close and Atkins that seriously stepped up in the second quarter to wrest the game our way.
It’s almost like there are two drafts now. The early picks and then the fine wines that take some time to surface. It is good to see guys like Close get recognised and picked later in their careers. Our recruiters are better than most in that area. Long May it continue.

From all I can glean this will be a pretty “straightforward” night for Geelong..

Clarke will be picked is he is still available (I suspect he will be). If he isn’t then they will go Tsatas. (Don’t ask me if both are gone - I think that is very very unlikely).

I don’t think you can lose with this outcome to be honest. I do wish they had another late first round pick (being greedy now given what they trading in!) as I would love to get a KPD at that pick…but tomorrow I think will go as expected

What is interesting is that I don’t think whoever we get at pick 7 is a “walk up start” like most in the top 10 to get a game (last one we had played in a premiership first year!). They have 3 other first round picks (4 if you count Holmes) to replace one going out of the grand final team!

I know the focus is on the draft (quick rightly). But given I think it will be pretty predictable for Geelong…I am actually more excited about seeing some socials from the boys all coming back this week to pre season.

Have felt a bit deprived this week seeing all the snippets from other clubs of 1-4 year players all back last week. Our turn tomorrow!

The same person that dropped the Brad Close mature rookie selection out of left field is dropping Frank Szekely.

Reckon he’s a big chance for a rookie spot. Interesting as I didn’t hear him mentioned mid season.

We like our sanfl smokies but i would have thought the last thing we need list balance wise is yet another small forward or running defender.

From all I can glean this will be a pretty “straightforward” night for Geelong..

Clarke will be picked is he is still available (I suspect he will be). If he isn’t then they will go Tsatas. (Don’t ask me if both are gone - I think that is very very unlikely).

I don’t think you can lose with this outcome to be honest. I do wish they had another late first round pick (being greedy now given what they trading in!) as I would love to get a KPD at that pick…but tomorrow I think will go as expected

What is interesting is that I don’t think whoever we get at pick 7 is a “walk up start” like most in the top 10 to get a game (last one we had played in a premiership first year!). They have 3 other first round picks (4 if you count Holmes) to replace one going out of the grand final team!

If they are both gone it means 2 of mckenzie humphrey and phillipou are there for us and we take one of those.

I do i agree i reckon we take clark if hes there.

So has anyone come up with a downside for Jhye Clark yet, except for the fact he isn’t 190cm tall?

Sign him up and enjoy. Good old fashioned proper footballer. Good at everything.
That view - gives me the Billie Smedts vibes

Look - this is just so bloody obvious - you just pick him right - and everything else will look after itself

Don't know much about this over-ager... sounds like he improved as a Key Defender as well, maybe a late rookie option, if other options fall over. Not sure if he will bulk up though, or what his athleticism is like.

Ryan EYERS 22/04/2003 198cm 83kg MURRAY BUSHRANGERS / NSW-ACT KEY DEFENDER

Backing up his AFL National Draft Combine invite last year, Ryan Eyers earned a second combine invite, albeit a late call-up to the State Draft Combine. Still arguably a late/rookie prospect as he was last year, Eyers is a Mr Fix It in the sense that he has played all three key position roles. In 2021, the Murray Bushrangers tall was deployed as a key forward and ruck, and in 2022, he was effectively an exclusive key defender, and a good size at 198cm. Eyers is still a developing talent, but it is easy to see he has come along this season. Playing behind the ball has brought out Eyers' positioning and reading the play, while his aerial ability has gone to a whole new level. Always possessing those clean hands, Eyers has become an intercept machine for the Bushrangers averaging 7.2 marks to go with 16.9 disposals. Those numbers are an improvement from 8.8 disposals and 2.3 marks in 2021. Once again the over-age Eyers earned Allies representation, but did only manage the two matches for the carnival. His best footy came in Bushrangers colours, picking up eight or more marks in eight of his 13 games. Though he is still light considering the opponents he would likely play on at the top level, Eyers' late call-up indicates that clubs have interest in the versatile tall, and could be a long-term defender with his upside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't mind Jakob Ryan maybe either with a late pick. Sounds like a good user, can mark and play outside roles. Mainly half back flanker, but could see him being a winger. I think we need some good upcoming outside types... 189cm too.

We don't really have gun outside types aside Holmes could play it, but think he will be an inside/outside mid. Got a lot of those outside types coming to an end - I Smith, M Duncan, M Blicavs, Z Tuohy...

They are all a risk... Me. I am not into the "Go Home Factor " TBH.
If we stuck to that principle in drafting we'd never had won any of the last 4 flags.
Back in the club, culture, success and all that goes with it.
Take the best talent if they have the best upside as well even better.
Allan is a bit of a risk due to his Dad being on Freo's board, but I can't see any risk with Ginbey.

He's not from Perth. His 'home' is 3 hours away from Perth. It would be the equivalent of drafting a Victorian from Gippsland and worrying about the pull of home. Wherever he goes he'll be living in a city he's never lived in before.

Patrick Cripps is a similar story. There was never any pull from the Perth clubs to get him home because he has no connection to the city of Perth, he's a country boy. Living in Perth would be the same as living in Melbourne for him.

Allan is a bit of a risk due to his Dad being on Freo's board, but I can't see any risk with Ginbey.

He's not from Perth. His 'home' is 3 hours away from Perth. It would be the equivalent of drafting a Victorian from Gippsland and worrying about the pull of home. Wherever he goes he'll be living in a city he's never lived in before.

Patrick Cripps is a similar story. There was never any pull from the Perth clubs to get him home because he has no connection to the city of Perth, he's a country boy. Living in Perth would be the same as living in Melbourne for him.
Likewise Lachie Neale. No connection to the city of Adelaide other than his junior club from where he was drafted from, Glenelg. A country lad from Naracoorte in south australia's south east.

So has anyone come up with a downside for Jhye Clark yet, except for the fact he isn’t 190cm tall?

Sign him up and enjoy. Good old fashioned proper footballer. Good at everything.
Flight Risk. Loves the Pies. They love him.
He'll be gone in 2 years.
A bit like Ollie Henry u might say.
Ohh and before the pile on starts... It's a little joke to start draft day for me.
Like Xmas Day... can't wait to see what is in Box No. 7 lol.

We will take buslinger and a winger.
It doesn’t matter if Clark is available.

In 3 years, we will need a tall back.
The time is now.
I tend to agree with this type of thinking.
Not looking at next year as they (Pick7) won't be playing.
But 2025 is what i'd be looking at as well.

Wouldn't mind Jakob Ryan maybe either with a late pick. Sounds like a good user, can mark and play outside roles. Mainly half back flanker, but could see him being a winger. I think we need some good upcoming outside types... 189cm too.

We don't really have gun outside types aside Holmes could play it, but think he will be an inside/outside mid. Got a lot of those outside types coming to an end - I Smith, M Duncan, M Blicavs, Z Tuohy...
From Andrew Mackie's alma mater i'm pretty sure.
Similar type of player. Skinny, tall, likes to run. Needs a season or 2 in the GYM.

Interesting the Sydney guy Beatson thinks there is a clear top 7. Then a step down to a group of 10 and then another drop off where it’s incredibly even.

We have pick 8

I rate beatson... we seem to always be on a similar line of thought, often competing for similar players.... but it is still only his/his clubs opinion

lets not remember ...that we are not talking facts. Clear top 7 ? That infers that no one would have a difference in the names inside and outside of the top 7. ... and that is not true... player like Phil and hump have ranged up and down that pick 7 line. Ginbey as well.

I guess where is the line.... where willl we will see the first name that is an obvious jump. I doubt its us at 8...if anything Clark is more locked in than the names above... as I cant see how we get away from picking him at 8. WC with the next pick ...is who evr is their favourite WA kid. If the call Hewett I will and everyone else will be surprised.

Id say it might start to get flexible St's or Blues or Dogs

Another shortish player? Know anything about him?

Looking at who we added last year. This year Probably Clark Chlosey Riccardi... a lot of comp for spots. Of course if anyone is good enough then they can jump everyone... but my bet is even if they are handy .. they will come and will be gone quickly cause we only have so many spots.

we will continue to as matures.. and only so many drafted kids get a chance. ...but Close shows its possible.

Forgetting names.. I wonder what the opinion is ... Who do we pick at 50 something ... 190 plus or 190 below.

Don't know much about this over-ager... sounds like he improved as a Key Defender as well, maybe a late rookie option, if other options fall over. Not sure if he will bulk up though, or what his athleticism is like.

Ryan EYERS 22/04/2003 198cm 83kg MURRAY BUSHRANGERS / NSW-ACT KEY DEFENDER

Backing up his AFL National Draft Combine invite last year, Ryan Eyers earned a second combine invite, albeit a late call-up to the State Draft Combine. Still arguably a late/rookie prospect as he was last year, Eyers is a Mr Fix It in the sense that he has played all three key position roles. In 2021, the Murray Bushrangers tall was deployed as a key forward and ruck, and in 2022, he was effectively an exclusive key defender, and a good size at 198cm. Eyers is still a developing talent, but it is easy to see he has come along this season. Playing behind the ball has brought out Eyers' positioning and reading the play, while his aerial ability has gone to a whole new level. Always possessing those clean hands, Eyers has become an intercept machine for the Bushrangers averaging 7.2 marks to go with 16.9 disposals. Those numbers are an improvement from 8.8 disposals and 2.3 marks in 2021. Once again the over-age Eyers earned Allies representation, but did only manage the two matches for the carnival. His best footy came in Bushrangers colours, picking up eight or more marks in eight of his 13 games. Though he is still light considering the opponents he would likely play on at the top level, Eyers' late call-up indicates that clubs have interest in the versatile tall, and could be a long-term defender with his upside.

Have you seen him play? I think Ess just delist his brother?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back