Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
What does 2022 ..... It seems we are heading for a nexus of some sort .. .. It will probably be a year that sees Joel out , Higgins and Smith might go too... and we probably see some young guys tried, and some will make it , others will not.

There will be so money to chase an established player.. and I doubt they brought Cameron to Geelong to watch him play in a side of kids. If the right player is willing I suspect we will be interested.Who could that be? We have a history of bringing in players who enjoy the country life. I have little doubt we will be linked to someone thru the year.

In 2021 after trying to play the system we seem to have gone back to the the draft last year and revisited our tradition of grabbing local kids. Personally Im the happier for it. Not to say we will not try to trade at years end for a boomerang falcon but I hope we continue to attack the draft hard.

Some of the local names that have already been mentioned and will get attention thru the year are in this story

Jhye Clark ... a mid who could be R1,

Ollie Northam ..a tall that appeals but would go tall again?,

Will Parkhouse ... a young KPD who is athletic

Could Gillett train himself into contention , could a player like Oscar Morrison who missed being drafted appeal and I'm sure others will pop.

Not to say we should only be locally focused , we have many champions from non vic origins but the odds are strong we will add someone from the Falcons in 2022.. we usually do.

FALCONS TURN FOCUS TO 2022

Vic-Country-Jhye-Clark-Marcel-Berens-1024x683.jpg

Jhye Clark in action for the Vic Country under-17 team in 2021. (Sports Media Image/Marcel Berens)
FRESH from having three players taken in last week’s AFL National Draft, the Geelong Falcons will start preparing another crop of talented youngsters for the big time this week.
Pre-season training begins on Wednesday night ahead of likely April start to the season, and coach Paul Corrigan says several Falcons already have their name on the draft board of AFL recruiters 2022.
Queenscliff product Jhye Clark is looming as a first-round selection after being named Vic Country’s best player at under-17 level this year.
Corrigan said he’s unlikely to be alone in hearing his name read out in 12 months.
“You look at Ollie Northam, who finished fourth in our best-and-fairest,” Corrigan said. “He played in the ruck and as a forward, and he’s in (Vic) Country Hub at the moment.
“You’ve also got Ted Clohesy, who’s an onballer/forward who played some games in his 17th year. He’s another one that’s in the Country Hub at the moment.
“We’ve got Will Parkhouse, who’s a key back. He’s an athletic type. He’ll keep progressing through pre-season and into next year.
“There are a few others who could bob up as well. Cooper Hayes played some games last year, Jai McGough.”

Vic-Country-Olivier-Northam-Marcel-Berens-1024x683.jpg

Geelong Falcons big man Ollie Northam in action for Vic Country earlier this year.
Another player recruiters are likely to be keeping an eye on is GFL leading goalkicker Tom Gillett, who looks set to have a 19-year-old year with the Falcons.
The hulking forward burst onto the local scene with Grovedale, winning the Rookie of the Year award and making five NAB League appearances.
“We’ve had a good chat with him, and we’ll keep working with ‘Gill’ on what that looks like,” Corrigan said.
“We all know what he was capable of and what he did this year, and we just want to help him achieve what he wants to.
“We’ll work with him and give him every opportunity we can.”

Geelong-Falcons-Boys-Tom-Gillett-Marcel-Berens-1024x683.jpg

Tom Gillett during one of his five appearances for the Geelong Falc0ns in 2021. (Sports Media Image/Marcel Berens)

Jhye Clark enhances draft prospects for 2022
One of the Geelong Falcons top draft prospects for 2022 has had his credentials enhanced even further this week after being named in the AFL Academy squad for next year.

ONE of the Geelong Falcons top draft prospects for 2022 has had his credentials enhanced even further this week after being named in the AFL Academy squad for next year.
Jhye Clark, son of legendary local coach Steve Clark, was included in the 2022 academy induction, which has routinely been a breeding ground for national AFL draftees.

Jhye Clark iin action for Queenscliff.

Jhye Clark iin action for Queenscliff.
Clark, who played his junior football at Queenscliff, said he was thrilled at the opportunity to work with the best development coaches in the country as he looks to continue to grow his game as a midfielder next season.

“We had a Vic Country camp the other week and Tarkyn Lockyer was there, one of the coaches, and I got a call on Friday from him to say I had made it, so I was pretty pumped,” Clark said.

“I still have a long way to go and have to keep working hard but it will be good to have all of the resources available to me and that high level of training will be good to keep pushing myself.

“Using all of the coaches around me will be great too. Previously players have gone down to AFL clubs so hopefully I am lucky enough to do that.”

2022 will be the 25th annual intake of 17-year-old boys at the academy, with the squad consisting of players representing every state and territory across Australia.

Players will participate in an accelerated football and personal development program to be held across the country, with the induction program scheduled to be held in January.

All players will experience life in an AFL environments early next year via training sessions at an AFL club, and the high performance training camp and game will be held in April.

Clark paid tribute to his dad, who coached Leopold to its inaugural Geelong Football League flag in 2016, for his guidance and support through his football journey.

“Covid was pretty tough, which was the same for everyone, but I was lucky I had my dad and my brother to train with,” Clark said.

“They were always helpful so that was good, and then we were lucky enough to get some games in this year as well, which was good.

Chimpa

Draftee
Dec 17, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
At the cricket tonight. Seriously reckon Will Sutherland could fulfill his talent better playing as a CHF for the Cats than making up the numbers for the Renegades. Was a huge footy talent as a teenager (Top 10 range) and someone the Cats should be targeting as a Category B recruit having been out of the game for some time. He is a Cats supporter who should be looking hard at this opportunity if cricket doesn’t turn out for him.

I'd be happy to look at a mature age kpd or maybe trade one in.

Later picks on outside types.

If a certain Mr Leather-maker Brown wanted to come home I'd make the trade happen.

Be nice to once again get the best falcon so if Clarke ends up in our range he might be a nice option.

I guess we'll know a lot more about how our future midfield is going to look once covid takes out a few players and we're playing Whyte, Dempsey, and Stevens at a few centre ball ups 😬

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I'd be happy to look at a mature age kpd or maybe trade one in.

Later picks on outside types.

If a certain Mr Leather-maker Brown wanted to come home I'd make the trade happen.

Be nice to once again get the best falcon so if Clarke ends up in our range he might be a nice option.

I guess we'll know a lot more about how our future midfield is going to look once covid takes out a few players and we're playing Whyte, Dempsey, and Stevens at a few centre ball ups 😬

Had me going for a second. If uncontracted... what would TB cost I wonder. Cant say we would have the best relationship with the giants. For me Id also be willing to look at an uncontracted brother at Pies...if he wanted to move... in the end its up to the player and cost... and what we think that picks can get in draft. With a better season in 2022... the kids in the draft always seems to have that clean skin appeal..which means players in the system.. even ones like TB, can some times be got for better value.

You are correct .. we will know a lot more by Oct..one how we rate the names we already have ..and how others are rated at the clubs.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
At the cricket tonight. Seriously reckon Will Sutherland could fulfill his talent better playing as a CHF for the Cats than making up the numbers for the Renegades. Was a huge footy talent as a teenager (Top 10 range) and someone the Cats should be targeting as a Category B recruit having been out of the game for some time. He is a Cats supporter who should be looking hard at this opportunity if cricket doesn’t turn out for him.

Cricketers can make a lot of money in 20-20 now.. guess it depends one what he wants. Nice to have choices.. seems to have worked out OK Keath

Had me going for a second. If uncontracted... what would TB cost I wonder. Cant say we would have the best relationship with the giants. For me Id also be willing to look at an uncontracted brother at Pies...if he wanted to move... in the end its up to the player and cost... and what we think that picks can get in draft. With a better season in 2022... the kids in the draft always seems to have that clean skin appeal..which means players in the system.. even ones like TB, can some times be got for better value.

You are correct .. we will know a lot more by Oct..one how we rate the names we already have ..and how others are rated at the clubs.
Gut instinct with him would be similar to a Caldwell or Clark trade. Unless we totally bomb the season or TB steps up to be a consistent b22 on baller for them.

Maybe we bomb the season and pick Jye Clarke at p5. Maybe TB pushes to become first name on the board for gws in the guts. But I think most versions of those two realities are unlikely and either TB signs for gws or we downgrade our 1st for him.

Also just occurred to me his initials are a term for tuberculosis.

Nickname him "the consumption" as he slowly chokes the lungs out of opposition fans? I'll see myself out

I reckon bruhn if he is in and out of their side goes for a R2 (ala jack steele and other precedents) if he is best 22 all year and plays very well youre looking at a mid R1 to get him. I do agree him and henry will be priority targets for us if they dont re sign (although henry i think will be really good this year and cost a R1 at least). That said id like us to target talls this year and its a good pool so id like to keep our current R1. If we can use our R2, our 3 R3s and our futire 1st for trade in midfielders instead id be happy.

Drunkcat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2018
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
His batting has not come on at all so far, and seems only suited to the long form of the game. But has time still very young

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm starting to get a bit more optimistic again about Knevitt. I reckon he will go alright. I was keen on him at start of 2021, and sort of dropped off on him, but now, I think he will do good.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Bruhn will explode with more midfield mins. I think Giants will fight tooth & nail to get good compensation for him almost regardless of how his 2022 goes, he could be that good
I agree. I think he will be a gun. But who says he wants to come back to Geelong. He might be a big city type of guy - Melbs.

He would be a good fit with the likes of the other Next Gen mids at our club. Speedy, classy, and good skills.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I agree. I think he will be a gun. But who says he wants to come back to Geelong. He might be a big city type of guy - Melbs.

He would be a good fit with the likes of the other Next Gen mids at our club. Speedy, classy, and good skills.

He may ..he may not ..but he fits that boomerang falcon type... it will get down to an efficient use of our pick cause players like him are probably getting enough game time to retain their draft value. Be nice to have a young quality mid getting games and pushing past established players

Maybe he would want to choose his own adventure but I can see an appeal in that he would have played as a bottom ager with Stephens, his own draft class in Stevens, and bottom agers in his draft year include Knevitt, Whyte, Conway.

I reckon I've seen him popping up here and there in Stevens insta as well so could be they're good mates.

I'm starting to get a bit more optimistic again about Knevitt. I reckon he will go alright. I was keen on him at start of 2021, and sort of dropped off on him, but now, I think he will do good.

Im a big fan of knevitt hes my favourite of our picks from last year. I think with his size and athletic ability he has a huge ceiling if developed right.

Fluffyguts

Draftee
Oct 12, 2009
a
AFL Club
Geelong
with Cam Green and Mitch Marsh staring as allrounders is it worth considering Will Sutherland as a Cat B? As his cricketing career seems to be stalling?

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Im a big fan of knevitt hes my favourite of our picks from last year. I think with his size and athletic ability he has a huge ceiling if developed right.

If he gets thru the PS he should be a chance to see games in 2022... we need to keep adding guys with the talent to push into our best side

with Cam Green and Mitch Marsh staring as allrounders is it worth considering Will Sutherland as a Cat B? As his cricketing career seems to be stalling?

Hes probably hoping he can get gigs in overseas 20/20 leagues and make much bigger money than most afl players. I doubt he comes back unless its in 3 or 4 years once that attempt has failed.

CharacterFirst

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2011
A wilful, lavish land.
AFL Club
Geelong
Well, dad's on the Board now, so who knows?

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
Hes probably hoping he can get gigs in overseas 20/20 leagues and make much bigger money than most afl players. I doubt he comes back unless its in 3 or 4 years once that attempt has failed.

The evidence of his current efforts on the field suggest that three to four years might be generous. Doesn't appear to be coming on at all as a cricketer at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back