Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyuss

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Thats not our fault if gws finished bottom 3 like gc did that year they would have taken compo for cameron. When the compo is tied to ladder position thats what you get.
Yeah exactly. It's a strange part of the system that incentivises top teams raiding lower teams and not having to trade.
The compo for not trading will almost always be higher than a top team can offer.

Son_Of_God29

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Borussia Dortmund
Was watching Footy Classified last night and Caro mentioned Geelong making a play for DeGoey as a free agent.

The tone of the conversation sounded like it was definite stay at Collingwood or go to Geelong decision for Jordan.

question is would we take him given what we has happened with Stengle this season?

Drunkcat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2018
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Was watching Footy Classified last night and Caro mentioned Geelong making a play for DeGoey as a free agent.

The tone of the conversation sounded like it was definite stay at Collingwood or go to Geelong decision for Jordan.

question is would we take him given what we has happened with Stengle this season?
He should be cheap so take him and if he stuffs up just cut him

PzBlinky

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong

Not interested for mine. Great player but there's too much potential for trouble and we're going to lose some senior players over the next couple of seasons, so this guy as an "elder statesman" of the club is a little scary in terms of culture.

He'd be a good get.

moond0g

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong

If the club think they can sort out his off field issues, then absolutely. He's clearly talented. He'd be a free agent, so no picks given. And the off field dramas, particularly the most recent ones, means the salary we'd have to offer would also be lower than it would have been at the start of the year.

If you could structure the contract so it's performance based with trigger clauses etc. then it could be a huge get. You'd just want to avoid a situation where you've promised him a 5 year deal on big money and it hits the fan after 1 year.

Generally speaking one or two free agent midfielders around that 26yo age bracket would be great in the transition of Selwood, Danger, etc. over the next 2 years. That way we'd keep picks to get some more kids in, and keep our current kids in the 18-22yo bracket who can keep developing. I'd say that's why we seem keen on De Goey and Brayshaw given the age and FA status

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

It was more the others wasn't it ...rather than kero. Corn Chips was pushing that Geelong would be the only one that would have a chance. She , as usual with anything to do with Geelong , as negative... "It doesn't always work..." ...

I dont like the Stengle comparision. He is younger , and actually taste the loss of his career. Deg ..has never been close to being delisted. The only thing that I heard recently that made me think was ..a comment about the last play in the the 2018 GF... where Deg stay in the goal sqr ..and he would love a chance to make that moment right.

More interesting on Footy Class... was the impending Sal crunch at Carlton... They estimate that Tom Dek... will be an 800 player next year when OOC contract.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Thats not our fault if gws finished bottom 3 like gc did that year they would have taken compo for cameron. When the compo is tied to ladder position thats what you get.

It makes me think the comp system needs a tweek. Its too tempting to almost push players in a Frawley situation. A mid round pick should be enough.

Son_Of_God29

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Borussia Dortmund
If the club think they can sort out his off field issues, then absolutely. He's clearly talented. He'd be a free agent, so no picks given. And the off field dramas, particularly the most recent ones, means the salary we'd have to offer would also be lower than it would have been at the start of the year.

If you could structure the contract so it's performance based with trigger clauses etc. then it could be a huge get. You'd just want to avoid a situation where you've promised him a 5 year deal on big money and it hits the fan after 1 year.

Generally speaking one or two free agent midfielders around that 26yo age bracket would be great in the transition of Selwood, Danger, etc. over the next 2 years. That way we'd keep picks to get some more kids in, and keep our current kids in the 18-22yo bracket who can keep developing. I'd say that's why we seem keen on De Goey and Brayshaw given the age and FA status

Dont think a 5 year deal would be on table i would offer 3.

If he wants 5 then i would like to think that there would be club based triggers on every single year ie: Off field behavior clauses

I think id back our culture to get the best out of him and being out of Melbourne might take the pressure off him

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Id be concerned about long term with Deg. The moment he got comfortable he would be likely to again slip into his old ways. As a player , he is close to ideal for what we need. 27 at the start of next season... 130/140 games ... it would be a similar play to when we brought in Danger. Pnp impact player. Just how much risk does a club want to take on. Just how many times does it take for a player to learn.

With Stengle ... we arrange to bring in Eddie... Who do we bring in for Deg... Budda. The club has a big group now ... would they ask for input from players in both sides? We have Daisy coming in soon.... I wonder how that would mesh. Maybe well. Unless you really know someone ..all we know is what is porttrayed.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Is Chalcraft from the VFL worthy of a Rookie spot? 35 touches on the weekend in the magoo's...

I liked it when they interviewed him... and he talked about moving down and working thru the week. One would think as a full time football he would improve.

Last edited:

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I liked it when the interviewed him... and he talked about moving down and working thru the week. One would think as a full time football he would improve.
I liked in the vfl hightlights this week @ 1min10secs where his kick was laced out to Neale. The kick had good depth and was nice and flat. Presumably he has a decent kick on him for his size, and he does know how to extract the ball. Question is, whether he has an outside game, and I'm not sure of his pace. Sounds like in his draft year he could float goal side and snag goals. He's probably best as an inside midfielder, but whether it translates to AFL level I am not sure as I haven't watched him closely yet. I'm sure Wells/Mackie are watching him closely, and it seems he gets first dibs as being a permanent inside midfielder in the VFL team atm. When Kroeger and Willis return, we will see how he stacks up against those, and whether he still gets the midfield role I suppose.

Another thing that seems good about him is he has the mature body, and seems like he isn't made of glass like other players we've recruited in the past.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally i would prefer we didnt but it wouldnt surprise me if wells did.

We do need a free agent mid or two for age spread as bar atkins/parfitt all ours are either 21 and under (holmes stephens knevitt willis kroeger whyte) or over 30 (selwood danger duncan guthrie menegola). So age wise de goey is the right fit im just not sure about the off field risk.

Personally i would prefer we didnt but it wouldnt surprise me if wells did.
I would prefer to stay away from young Jordan too but if we do sign him it has to be for nothing and he gets at most a 2 year contract. Needs to come with a stern word said, no fanfare, and no guarantee of games

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

If that is the case I’d say we are a massive chance to land him. I do know that there are quite a large group (senior players included) that want to see DeGoey out.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
How likely would it be that we got Brayshaw?

I reckon it's very slim, maybe below 5% chance. He would be very good at our club, with his age, work ethic, and ability to fill a number of roles.

But he doesn't have the DeGoey X-factor. I would take DeGoey, but he would need a minder from the club on him. Just put strict opt-out clauses related to his behaviour, to minimise the risk.

If we took both and retained our draft picks, we will be in for the fight for the next 5 years,

How likely would it be that we got Brayshaw?

I reckon it's very slim, maybe below 5% chance. He would be very good at our club, with his age, work ethic, and ability to fill a number of roles.

But he doesn't have the DeGoey X-factor. I would take DeGoey, but he would need a minder from the club on him. Just put strict opt-out clauses related to his behaviour, to minimise the risk.

If we took both and retained our draft picks, we will be in for the fight for the next 5 years,
Law of averages says slim but stranger things have happened

Sire of Claude

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Chalcraft got 35 disposals on Sunday - this is quite a bit more than any of our players have accrued playing VFL since perhaps Constable. Disposals are not the whole story, but they're probably the most important stat for a mid who by definition is around the ball more than others: if they can't get it, what are they doing there?

His skills seem OK too. The club should seriously entertain upgrading him, given we'll be missing out yet again come draft time. It's annoying see the best Falcons go elsewhere and it seems likely to happen again unless Clark is a slider.

Drunkcat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2018
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
It was more the others wasn't it ...rather than kero. Corn Chips was pushing that Geelong would be the only one that would have a chance. She , as usual with anything to do with Geelong , as negative... "It doesn't always work..." ...

I dont like the Stengle comparision. He is younger , and actually taste the loss of his career. Deg ..has never been close to being delisted. The only thing that I heard recently that made me think was ..a comment about the last play in the the 2018 GF... where Deg stay in the goal sqr ..and he would love a chance to make that moment right.

More interesting on Footy Class... was the impending Sal crunch at Carlton... They estimate that Tom Dek... will be an 800 player next year when OOC contract.
That's why DeKoning brothers will never play together, it would cost to much money

If that is the case I’d say we are a massive chance to land him. I do know that there are quite a large group (senior players included) that want to see DeGoey out.

Moore does?

That's why DeKoning brothers will never play together, it would cost to much money

True but we have tried before (before we had conway admittedly so we might not chase tdk again).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back