Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fair enough...
What do you and everyone else, think we will have to give up for Hopper...Remember his contracted and GWS have a salary cap problem...
Honestly not sure. I’d love to say our first but with that looking 20+ I can’t see that being enough. Good player, perfect fit for us moving forward. Was great last year, this season barely got going even now he’s out there.

I love the fact we are active though. The look on the faces of some of our recruits has to be having some sort of effect. I get that Isaac Smith probably smiles on a sad day but Cameron looks like a big kid again, and Stengle looks super comfortable (as a much he can). Good times.

It depends on whether Hopper and Bruhn have committed to coming. I think we need to focus solely on our midfield for now.

It is a very hard question to answer though.

The performance of the kid Johnson... has change it a little bit in my opinion. He is probably a bit more gettable. Our need has probably not changed... but then again, we do value goal kickers again.

Watching JackH play forward V the other night made me wonder about how he might be handy to have a second Henry.

When all is said and done.. it depends on how they rate him. Look at Holmes, how quicky he has become critical..and he is getting better. Just what is Ollie in three years time..an SJ or something more generic

I can't see it if Hopper is our #1 target. We can't invent assets.

Just what do they want in the trade..do they want picks or cap. If we take the money then will not get the pick they want

Honestly not sure. I’d love to say our first but with that looking 20+ I can’t see that being enough. Good player, perfect fit for us moving forward. Was great last year, this season barely got going even now he’s out there.

I love the fact we are active though. The look on the faces of some of our recruits has to be having some sort of effect. I get that Isaac Smith probably smiles on a sad day but Cameron looks like a big kid again, and Stengle looks super comfortable (as a much he can). Good times.
I agree.. I honestly don't think they can ask to much as there in a pickle also, there the club that can't afford to pay all there players under the salary cap, so they probably have to take less for him if we were trying to poach him and they didn't have salary cap problems

My understanding is that there has been no limitations placed on him in that regard. I have no idea how it will play out in a trade scenario but I’m confident that Grundy has played his last game for the Pies. (Unless something drastically changes).

Any idea of how we get the deal done YOTC?

IF we win a flag it will be interesting to see who decides to pull the pin. There may be a couple of surprises? (I have absolutely no background on this at all). I can only assume that Stanley and/or Ceglar’s future isn’t set in stone. You’d assume also that Esava will be canvassing his options as well. Perhaps there will be an opening?

Didn't another poster infer some surprise retirements. If that happens and they do a Ling .,.who could blame them.

Any idea of how we get the deal done YOTC?

None whatsoever. If I was to guess, knowing he’s turning 29 and assuming we take a fair chunk of his salary, maybe our future 2nd? But I’m probably way off the mark. It will be a fair bit less than what we’d normally expect to trade for him though.

If they want McStay, Hill and Taranto one of Grundy or JDG has to go.

I reckon they're preferring it be Grundy atm.

I think there’s a bit of conflicting desires between some of the senior players and the coach here. Some of them are Jack of DeGoey and want him out. But the club feels hamstrung by Grundy’s contract. I think DeGoey will probably end up staying now.

Stephens & Ratugolea are also both contracted for next season, though as we’ve speculated he may be tradeable if another team is looking for a back-up big man.
This won't happen & I'll probably cop the wrath of Cooper Stephens fans after saying this, but I'd be happy to trade him (if anyone wanted him for a semi ok pick) and put that pick towards helping us upgrade to a stronger pick (Same with Sav).

Just thinking out loud here... I doubt many people would be head hunting a contracted Cooper Stephens.

Would love to roll those later picks into a decent pick this year or the future.

A couple of Richmond people I know who pile a heap of coin into the club believe Taranto is their only target. I’m sure this speculation happens all the time but like most Tiger supporters they seem pretty confident (it will get done). We’ll see I suppose. Good for us if so, Hopper the better footballer.
He's headed to Richmond

None whatsoever. If I was to guess, knowing he’s turning 29 and assuming we take a fair chunk of his salary, maybe our future 2nd? But I’m probably way off the mark. It will be a fair bit less than what we’d normally expect to trade for him though.

It would be the only way id have thought. A sal cap trade ...not a pick trade. If it was anything early ..Pies keep a lot more money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This won't happen & I'll probably cop the wrath of Cooper Stephens fans after saying this, but I'd be happy to trade him (if anyone wanted him for a semi ok pick) and put that pick towards helping us upgrade to a stronger pick (Same with Sav).

Just thinking out loud here... I doubt many people would be head hunting a contracted Cooper Stephens.

Would love to roll those later picks into a decent pick this year or the future.

Just what sort of trade do you envision for him? What outcome?

Last edited:
My thoughts too.

One would think it would sink Hopper..just how much cap room would we have? If we were serious anout Hopper and Deg ..then we probably take all his money and then a small trade but Hopper type trade would require us to move someone out.

We it looks like it could be an interesting Oct.

Good observation. It is what makes our club.

My understanding is that there has been no limitations placed on him in that regard. I have no idea how it will play out in a trade scenario but I’m confident that Grundy has played his last game for the Pies. (Unless something drastically changes).

Interesting..i would have thought they only trade him to a top 4 rival unless pies have guaranteed trade ins with the money (taranto etc)as otherwise they are stengthening a flag rival without strengthening their own side which would be very silly.

Does geelong think they have grundy wrapped up?

One would think it would sink Hopper..just how much cap room would we have? If we were serious anout Hopper and Deg ..then we probably take all his money and then a small trade but Hopper type trade would require us to move someone out.

We it looks like it could be an interesting Oct.

Nah..look at how few contracts we have past 2024 (basically only cameron and guthrie at this stage) so providing we bring traded guys in on 4-5 year somewhat backended deals we could easily fit multiple trades in this off season. List spots is the bigger issue which we are tight on eg if we trade in all of grundy hopper bruhn etc we will have to trade out some guys for list space..i wonder if pies could be convinced to take sav as steak knives in the deal? Etc

If they want McStay, Hill and Taranto one of Grundy or JDG has to go.

I reckon they're preferring it be Grundy atm.

Fair. And if mcstay comes in and jdg goes FA they wont get a compo pick for him so in that scenario i can see why its better for them to keep jdg get taranto etc and trade grundy out instead (providing hes willing to go and they get a decent pick for him). I still think the issue is where are they willing to trade him to.

Interesting..i would have thought they only trade him to a top 4 rival unless pies have guaranteed trade ins with the money (taranto etc)as otherwise they are stengthening a flag rival without strengthening their own side which would be very silly.

Does geelong think they have grundy wrapped up?

I suppose when you inform a player to “explore their options” you can hardly then direct them to the preferred clubs you’d want to trade him to.

It’s not close to that just yet as far as I’m aware. Just that we are interested, have met him and now he’s weighing up all his options. Geelong though is very much a desired club and has a terrific reputation for treating their players very well.

Nah..look at how few contracts we have past 2024 (basically only cameron and guthrie at this stage) so providing we bring traded guys in on 4-5 year somewhat backended deals we could easily fit multiple trades in this off season. List spots is the bigger issue which we are tight on eg if we trade in all of grundy hopper bruhn etc we will have to trade out some guys for list space..i wonder if pies could be convinced to take sav as steak knives in the deal? Etc
If we get Grundy..and Hopper ...and Bruhn...without trading someone out id be very surprised.

I’m sure the Demons have the chance for more success for a while. I doubt Grundy is going to want to go there to play with Gawn. If he does move he’ll want to go to a club where he is the number 1 ruck.

I’m sure the Demons have the chance for more success for a while. I doubt Grundy is going to want to go there to play with Gawn. If he does move he’ll want to go to a club where he is the number 1 ruck.

Fair point. Which would realistically be us unless a team like carlton comes for him.

If we get Grundy..and Hopper ...and Bruhn...without trading someone out id be very surprised.

We will be trading out some minor players like sav but i doubt we will be trading any best 22 players.

Interesting subject that Brodie GRUNDY.
He's my two bobs worth...
Only way i'd take Grundy and his 5 year contract is if Ollie Henry is thrown in.
No first round pick involved a 2nd is about it.. this year or next with a 3rd this year thrown in.
Your call Pies.
FWIW Grundy is a top talent that at his best is worth every cent. Thats the kicker... at his best.
He would be our No. 1 Ruck from day one. Even at 90% of his 2019-20 form.
People talk of his age... 29 in 2023. 30-2024, 31-2025 and 32 in 2026 which by the way is what Stanley & Ceglar are ATM.
I'd say we'd get a decent 3 year return with a transition year followed by an insurance year, his final 2027 campaign.
Stanley has 1 year left as well as our insurance policy in Ceglar(who is at best a No.2 Ruck and No more).
Toby Conway is/has another 2 even 3 years before he even comes to some sort of worthy heir apparent to the mantle of our No 1 ruck.
By then Grundy would be 31 and Toby 22-23 with a baton change being an easier event.
When people talk of his injury concerns. We can say that about 75% of our list TBH. Even Hopper has had his injury concerns.
If he breaks down and he's incapable to play on. He gets paid out. Minimal impact on salary cap when one retires due to injury.
Win Win for us i would say.

Cheers Boys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back