News GFC Board Election & Carter's Presidency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought the following may interest a few:

GEELONG president Colin Carter has confirmed he will stand down from the club’s board at the end of the 2020 season.

The Cats are expected to make just one change to their board this off-season, with outgoing vice-president Bob Gartland to be replaced by former Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland.

Carter has served as a club director since 2008 and has held the presidency since the end of 2010.

He said Gartland’s departure, as well as his own in 12 months’ time, were in line with the club’s constitution that states directors can serve a maximum of 12 years.

“One of the things that our board introduced is tenure limits, which I think is a very good governance move because it stops people thinking they can stay forever,” Carter said.

“So we introduced a tenure limit to a maximum of 12 years and my 12 years is up at the end of next year, so there will be a transition during this next term (at the end of next year) to a new president.

“A new director will be brought in to replace me once I retire, as is always the case, and then the board will have to select a new leader from amongst itself.

“We do take renewal seriously. Not one of the directors who was on the board when I joined is still there, but we hope our members support the seven (directors) that we put up because we think we work well as a group and do a good job.”

The Geelong board is up for re-election this year, but the Cats are hoping the seven directors will be sworn in unopposed at December’s annual general meeting.

And since there seems to be some added interest in terms of standing for a position & how it all works - from the same article:

The new vice-chairman will be selected by the board, which will be determined at December’s AGM provided there are no nominees from outside the current directors.

That group is made up of Carter, Diana Taylor, Kate Spargo, Hugh Seward, Grant McCabe and Craig Drummond, with Sutherland to replace Gartland.

Full-paying adult members must declare their intention to nominate for a position on the board by late November, although there has been no indication at this point that anybody outside the incumbent group of directors will be putting their name forward.

Carter said while Gartland would be stepping down from his role, he would be maintaining his position as part of the club’s historical society.

“The club has amended its rules to enable him to continue as chairman of our historical Honouring the Past committee,” Carter said.

“He has done a terrific job on that and that is his passion so we have moved to make sure we don’t lose that.”

Board elections are required every three years in line with the club’s constitution.

An election will only be held if more than seven nominations are put forward.

Thought the following may interest a few:

GEELONG president Colin Carter has confirmed he will stand down from the club’s board at the end of the 2020 season.

The Cats are expected to make just one change to their board this off-season, with outgoing vice-president Bob Gartland to be replaced by former Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland.

Carter has served as a club director since 2008 and has held the presidency since the end of 2010.

He said Gartland’s departure, as well as his own in 12 months’ time, were in line with the club’s constitution that states directors can serve a maximum of 12 years.

“One of the things that our board introduced is tenure limits, which I think is a very good governance move because it stops people thinking they can stay forever,” Carter said.

“So we introduced a tenure limit to a maximum of 12 years and my 12 years is up at the end of next year, so there will be a transition during this next term (at the end of next year) to a new president.

“A new director will be brought in to replace me once I retire, as is always the case, and then the board will have to select a new leader from amongst itself.

“We do take renewal seriously. Not one of the directors who was on the board when I joined is still there, but we hope our members support the seven (directors) that we put up because we think we work well as a group and do a good job.”

The Geelong board is up for re-election this year, but the Cats are hoping the seven directors will be sworn in unopposed at December’s annual general meeting.

Attachments

• SevenDwarfs.jpg
    SevenDwarfs.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 148

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol would love to run and stick it up them. Its pretty poor that they are actively trying to discourage someone to run against them. Thats really poor actually. They should be embracing the challenge of democracy.

We definately need to find a proxy who is willing to represent the will of the big footy board, has the time to run and lives in geelong. The latter two rule me out unfortunately being a queenslander (for now). Even despite all our differences I still think the majority of bigfooty can see some pretty obvious areas of improvement and wont have conflict of interest issues that seems to be present at the club.

Off the top of my head Im sure the majority of geelong big footy board would agree with:

Complete overhall of the media department to make it professional and leading edge.

Detailed internal review into the post bye and recent finals record.

Work with scott to embrace and develop a more atacking game plan that gives the forwards more opportunity and reflects the history and spirit of the club.

Actively discourage sutherland to leave the club due to his unacceptable history at carlton.

Hire a permanent ruck coach and recruit an ex- forward as the forwards coach.

Ban Scotts weird fascination with moving defenders out of defence on the eve of finals so he can fit more defenders into the team.

Tell wells he can not give multi year deals to players who arent good enough yet to be best 22. No multi year deals to the likes of parsons, smedts, zac guthrie, abbott, horlin smith ever again.

If a player does not get dropped once during the season then the list manager is not allowed to delist him.

Publically campaign for 11 home games and home finals but leave the coach out of this campaign. The coach should stick to coaching and nothing else.

This is just the beginning. Obviously once we have our proxy inside the club we can learn more about what is going on and recommend further changes.

Lol would love to run and stick it up them. Its pretty poor that they are actively trying to discourage someone to run against them. Thats really poor actually. They should be embracing the challenge of democracy.

We definately need to find a proxy who is willing to represent the will of the big footy board, has the time to run and lives in geelong. The latter two rule me out unfortunately being a queenslander (for now). Even despite all our differences I still think the majority of bigfooty can see some pretty obvious areas of improvement and wont have conflict of interest issues that seems to be present at the club.

Off the top of my head Im sure the majority of geelong big footy board would agree with:

Complete overhall of the media department to make it professional and leading edge.

Work with scott to embrace and develop a more atacking game plan that gives the forwards more opportunity and reflects the history and spirit of the club.

Actively discourage sutherland to leave the club due to his unacceptable history at carlton.

Ban Scotts weird fascination with moving defenders out of defence on the eve of finals so he can fit more defenders into the team.

Tell wells he can not give multi year deals to players who arent good enough yet to be best 22. No multi year deals to the likes of parsons, smedts, zac guthrie, abbott, horlin smith ever again.

If a player does not get dropped once during the season then the list manager is not allowed to delist him.

Publically campaign for 11 home games and home finals but leave the coach out of this campaign. The coach should stick to coaching and nothing else.

This is just the beginning. Obviously once we have our proxy inside the club we can learn more about what is going on and recommend further changes.

Sounds like you and the coach will have a first class relationship since halve of your points are telling him he has issues

If the Board does not like the job the coaching group is doing, the one thing it does not do - should never do - is try to do their jobs for them, or tell them how to do their jobs.

In those circumstances, it should do two things
1 sack them, and
2 resign for having appointed them in the first place.

The timing is interesting for me.

I suspect he knows that another failed year will lead to decent changes at the coaching and board level and would rather walk than be pushed.

Flip side is, if they manage to win the flag, he goes out on top....is able to say " I told you so " and channels his inner Homer Simpson as he walks out the door.

1572562631237.png

Ha ha. As usual you're all talk.
Come on, just do it. I'll vote for you!

If the Board does not like the job the coaching group is doing, the one thing it does not do - should never do - is try to do their jobs for them, or tell them how to do their jobs.

In those circumstances, it should do two things
1 sack them, and
2 resign for having appointed them in the first place.
That's not how it should be done Fred.
Viva la revolution!

The timing is interesting for me.

I suspect he knows that another failed year will lead to decent changes at the coaching and board level and would rather walk than be pushed.

Flip side is, if they manage to win the flag, he goes out on top....is able to say " I told you so " and channels his inner Homer Simpson as he walks out the door.

View attachment 772954
I suspect you are just living the dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back