News GFC fined by the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Oops...Geelong have been whacked with a $40,000 fine over a salary cap breach.

The Geelong Football Club accepts the fine handed down today by the AFL in relation to breaching the AFL Player Rules.

“We made an inadvertent administrative error in our TPP related reporting that has been repeated over eight years,” Geelong Football Club chief financial officer Simon Kelleher said.

“As soon as we discovered this error, we advised the AFL. The AFL investigated the matter and have passed down the sanction. We accept the penalty and have thoroughly reviewed our processes to ensure full compliance going forward.”

same error over 8 years year in year...

sounds like our fnals performances...

Cmon.. that was funny.

Go Catters

So what, we've been rorting the salary cap for eight years and still haven't won anything? Can't even cheat successfully under this coaching regime... 🙃
If i had of said that it would have started world war 3.
Does that mean you went over by 5 grand per year for the last 8 years. If so, god help everyone

If i had of said that it would have started world war 3.
Does that mean you went over by 5 grand per year for the last 8 years. If so, god help everyone
I've got it on pretty good authority the club gives out petrol vouchers for the home games we wrongly play up in Melbourne each year. I think the club realised this was a salary cap breach around the time we tried and failed to get Kelly and his Mrs a nanny.

It's a bit stiff, Dangerfield's 4wd Ford Ranger doesn't run on water. :thumbsdown:

I've got it on pretty good authority the club gives out petrol vouchers for the home games we wrongly play up in Melbourne each year. I think the club realised this was a salary cap breach around the time we tried and failed to get Kelly and his Mrs a nanny.

It's a bit stiff, Dangerfield's 4wd Ford Ranger doesn't run on water. :thumbsdown:

Based on the wording "inadvertent administrative error", I thought it was unlikely to be directly related to player payments or over payments to players - plus, if it was 8 years of doctoring the books I think it would have been more than a $40k fine

Something like that makes a bit of sense - I doubt players re-signed at the club purely to get access to 2 or 3 fuel vouchers a year, at probably $100 value per year

So something stupid, but not intended to provide a leg up over clubs

Would be f**k all. Rex Gorell lending a player a car or something that we didn't know had to be counted.
Positive is at least the Afl are actually doing their job on taking the salary cap seriously.

Joy of joy...people are gonna have a field day with this until they clarify it. Never understand why they don't just explain everything upfront instead of letting every troll on the internet offer up their 'expert' commentary.

Seems the issue was a GST error related to management fee paid on behalf of players

So some clubs are pissed off there was no loss of draft picks but we didn't go over in terms of player payments

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB is hilarious reading. People are saying instead of copping a $40K fine we should be penalised by either having flags stripped off us, being forced to play the season but not receive any premiership points a la the Melbourne Storm or even being banished from the league for two years.

Absolute muppets.

Is it a sad day when Tom Browne is sharing words of wisdom & sensibility on this issue...

Yet according to some people that's enough to argue for the club to be deregistered. I'm guessing these are the same people who bought 20 packs of toilet rolls yesterday.

Sounds like a pretty simple one. Admin raises PO for full cost of quoted amount. HR person deducts the amount paid to rep from player salary because that's what logically follows. Sounds like an easy mistake and probably not even an obviously wrong one at first.

It sounds like a storm in a teacup really. The Cats self-reported it so that hardly speaks of a huge coverup or anything.

It's not that self-reporting in itself suggests to me that it's entirely insignificant. After all, the Dons self-reported in relation to supplements and we all know how that ended.

What is telling, though, is the immediate action by the AFL to resolve the matter (rather than some protracted investigation) and the relatively minimal size of the fine (seemingly, 5 k. a year for the 8 years).

All that together demonstrates this incident is exactly what is being reported. An administrative error that was repeated year after year before finally being detected and addressed.

Fans of other clubs will bleat about it, for sure. Which only demonstrates their petty obsession with others due to a relevance deprivation syndrome operating in themselves.

No matter how any rival supporters want to spin it, this is actually barely newsworthy.

Carry on, Cats...

* John Howard. This is his fault
Yet according to some people that's enough to argue for the club to be deregistered. I'm guessing these are the same people who bought 20 packs of toilet rolls yesterday.
Those are the smart people. Buy for $5 and sell for $15. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back