News GFG on board as joint major sponsor

Remove this Banner Ad

Whyalla News photo gallery of yesterday

https://www.whyallanewsonline.com.au/story/5910999/the-power-visit-whyalla-photos/?cs=1550#slide=1

https://www.whyallanewsonline.com.au/story/5910999/the-power-visit-whyalla-photos/?cs=1550#slide=1
Mr Lycett, whose grandparents live in Whyalla, said it was a great opportunity to ‘give back’ to country kids. “I grew up in Ceduna...so I can definitely relate to these kids living in a country area. Seeing the joy on their faces brings back memories of myself being a kid at school,” he said. “To see them happy today was really good.” The players also spoke about the importance of staying in school and pursuing university after completing their SACE.

Mr Lycett, who is undertaking a university course while playing in the AFL, said having an outlet outside of football had been hugely important for him. “It took me a few years to realise that if I did something outside of football it kind of takes your mind off all the pressures that come with footy,” he said. “Enjoying things outside of footy like university and fishing really takes your mind off of what can be a pretty stressful environment.”

The shirts worn by the players featured the GFG Alliance logo, with Chairman Sanjeev Gupta having signed a sponsorship with the club. Mr Lycett said it was great to have Mr Gupta on board, describing him as a ‘really nice guy’.
The clinic concluded with an autograph-signing session and was followed by a Sportsmans Dinner at the West Whyalla Football Club. Port Adelaide will interact with around 10,000 kids around the region as they visit Port Augusta and surrounding areas.

Lol Mr Lycett. Do they have the grade 7 school journalist writing their articles?

Lol Mr Lycett. Do they have the grade 7 school journalist writing their articles?
Read the New York Times and they would use Mr Lycett all through an article if they interviewed him. Its old style journalism that the modern dailys had abandoned. Although they still use it a lot in the big US broadsheets.

So if we get Bennett Oval upgraded to AFL standard, will we move a Magpies v Crows B's home game to Whyalla as part of embracing Whyalla?? I know some Maggies diehards wouldn't like it, but I reckon it would be a great thing if people of Whyalla and surrounding areas know they will get a SANFL game each year.

We are happy to play the crows in the country regions for their home game, so playing ours in Whyalla to enhance the GFG community component of the sponsorship seems a no brainer.

Read the New York Times and they would use Mr Lycett all through an article if they interviewed him. Its old style journalism that the modern dailys had abandoned. Although they still use it a lot in the big US broadsheets.

That's not a universal rule even at the NY Times. I've read sports articles in the NY Times where they have spoken to a sportsperson and used the Australian norm of just using the surname.

Anyway we're talking about Whyalla here. In Australia. Mr Lycett in that context looks very strangely formal. ;)

That's not a universal rule even at the NY Times. I've read sports articles in the NY Times where they have spoken to a sportsperson and used the Australian norm of just using the surname.

Anyway we're talking about Whyalla here. In Australia. Mr Lycett in that context looks very strangely formal. ;)

Mr Lycett.... the Defendant.

The Mr Lycett makes me imagine him as a 7 foot tall Bond character with silver teeth.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
At every centre bounce this year:

"Excuse me, I think you'll find that ball belongs to Mr Pepper"

Puny midfielders: "Ok, Mr Lycett. Here you go Mr Pepper."

So if we get Bennett Oval upgraded to AFL standard, will we move a Magpies v Crows B's home game to Whyalla as part of embracing Whyalla?? I know some Maggies diehards wouldn't like it, but I reckon it would be a great thing if people of Whyalla and surrounding areas know they will get a SANFL game each year.

We are happy to play the crows in the country regions for their home game, so playing ours in Whyalla to enhance the GFG community component of the sponsorship seems a no brainer.

Did we ever pay homage to Alan Scott in Mt Gambier?
IMO we should have played a home and away AFL match down there against a club with a small support base eg NM or Dogs.
His influence on PAFC is much more tangible than the unknown of Gupta.
It should still happen.

Did we ever pay homage to Alan Scott in Mt Gambier?
IMO we should have played a home and away AFL match down there against a club with a small support base eg NM or Dogs.
His influence on PAFC is much more tangible than the unknown of Gupta.
It should still happen.
Gupta saved a town, Scott didn't.

Whyalla was in our, or on the fringe of, our SANFL country zone since the SANFL allocated country zones in 1970. Mt Gambier was in the heart of our enemy Glenelg's. I think we have played a couple of preseason games in Mt Gambier since 1997.

Last edited:
Gupta saved a town, Scott didn't.

Whyalla was in our, or on the fringe of, our SANFL country zone since the AFL allocated country zones in 1970. Mt Gambier was in the heart of our enemy Glenelg's. I think we have played a couple of preseason games in Mt Gambier since 1997.
Collingwood 2010
Richmond 2017 ... this is one game I did go to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently there is a 4 page spread in the Toxitiser today about Gupta being the real deal. Someone put the hard word on.

I don’t think it was four. Apparently now he is the real deal. I think they call it investigative journalism.

I call it Gupta tightening the vice a little ;)

https://outline.com/aFjXbR

When Sanjeev Gupta bought a failing steel mill in Wales in 2013, the place was going bust, and 150 staff were set to lose their jobs. The then-little known Gupta had been a mid-level commodities trader for more than 20 years, but was just getting started on a global acquisition spree, buying up distressed or underperforming steel mills around the world.

Gupta’s company Liberty House bought the mill at Newport in Wales from its Russian owners, placed it in mothballs — then made an offer the workers never expected.

In a bid to keep the workforce together, all 150 employees would remain on the books, and be paid 50 per cent of their wages, even though the mill was closed and there was no work for them until it was upgraded. They could get another job to make ends meet in the meantime. Gupta also vowed to keep their superannuation payments up to date. Two years later, the mill finally reopened — and 144 of the staff came back.

https://outline.com/aFjXbR

When Sanjeev Gupta bought a failing steel mill in Wales in 2013, the place was going bust, and 150 staff were set to lose their jobs. The then-little known Gupta had been a mid-level commodities trader for more than 20 years, but was just getting started on a global acquisition spree, buying up distressed or underperforming steel mills around the world.

Gupta’s company Liberty House bought the mill at Newport in Wales from its Russian owners, placed it in mothballs — then made an offer the workers never expected.

In a bid to keep the workforce together, all 150 employees would remain on the books, and be paid 50 per cent of their wages, even though the mill was closed and there was no work for them until it was upgraded. They could get another job to make ends meet in the meantime. Gupta also vowed to keep their superannuation payments up to date. Two years later, the mill finally reopened — and 144 of the staff came back.

I hope Gupta sees this article and sues the arse off the tiser for slander!!!.

Good to read something positive for a change.

The fact that almost all of the workers were re employed at Newport suggests Gupta's modifications are not about automation and redundancies as so often happens.

Apparently there have been some asbestos related issues in the older part of the Whyalla operation that Gupta has had to prioritise hence the temporary cash flow problem. That bit is really interesting because the article reads like the asbestos dust was used for many years prior to Gupta's take over. Could it be that we have a sponsor who puts the welfare of his workers above profit?

Sanjeev sounds like a good guy and it is good to see some positive stuff for a change. The only reservation I have about him is the speed with which he has acquired some 200 sites around the world. Sometimes as quickly as these empires are built they fall down. Hopefully that is not the case here.

I was surprised to read that for all his world wide interests Sanjeev Gupta lives in Sydney which I guess makes him more accessible to David Koch.

PS, I liked the photo of Koch, Paddy Ryder and Sanjeev Gupta.

Good to read something positive for a change.

The fact that almost all of the workers were re employed at Newport suggests Gupta's modifications are not about automation and redundancies as so often happens.

Apparently there have been some asbestos related issues in the older part of the Whyalla operation that Gupta has had to prioritise hence the temporary cash flow problem. That bit is really interesting because the article reads like the asbestos dust was used for many years prior to Gupta's take over. Could it be that we have a sponsor who puts the welfare of his workers above profit?

Sanjeev sounds like a good guy and it is good to see some positive stuff for a change. The only reservation I have about him is the speed with which he has acquired some 200 sites around the world. Sometimes as quickly as these empires are built they fall down. Hopefully that is not the case here.

I was surprised to read that for all his world wide interests Sanjeev Gupta lives in Sydney which I guess makes him more accessible to David Koch.

PS, I liked the photo of Koch, Paddy Ryder and Sanjeev Gupta.
He told his wife they were moving to Australia for 2 years when he won the tender to buy out Arrium as it was such a huge and complex deal to turn around into a success story.

2 years is up in September. If you have seen his interview with Ticky Fullerton, not sure if its the one from December a couple of days after $600m Whyalla expansion or a couple of weeks ago after the Port sponsorship, but its very clear he will be leaving Oz before Christmas 2019, and my bet would be that he will move to the US, either after a year or so in UK or direct after living in Oz.

I hope Gupta sees this article and sues the arse off the tiser for slander!!!.
nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back