News GFG on board as joint major sponsor

Remove this Banner Ad

Nyrstar's operations for a start....its the same finance model GFG is seeking. Only problem for GFG is Pt Pirie fluked $ from EFIC. Once bitten twice shy for AG and SAG. Try asking an Australian or international bank today for a redevelopment loan for a refinery...without a govt guarantee.
That's one heavy industry company in Australia. Bluescope don't have a government guarantee, Downer Industries don't have government guarantees, they are defined as heavy industry. What about the Alcoa aluminium smelter in Portland. What government guarantee do they have?

That's one heavy industry company in Australia. Bluescope don't have a government guarantee, Downer Industries don't have government guarantees, they are defined as heavy industry. What about the Alcoa aluminium smelter in Portland. What government guarantee do they have?
Alcoa had a $200M direct bail out from Vic govt only a few years ago. Bluescope only kept Pt Kembla alive after assistance from Macfarlane and AG. Qld Nickel went under after no govt loan guarantee. Similar with Rio's Gove refinery. The international situation, from Canada to Europe and Asia is worse - direct govt stakes in loss making refineries. If you are a loss making refinery requiring a major restructure, lenders are now expecting a govt guarantee, because they are being kept open for reasons other than profit.

we could use him giving some advice on our board on how to try and corner a large entity in his case the government into a position they have to give him millions and basically get what he wants an gov guarantee on how to get our way with the AFL. I still don't see any money out of Whyalla especially with the SA liberals being as batshit insane about energy as the last labor gov, well I do the only way is with government funding and he's playing a great public game I must say.

Gupta got the front page of The Weekend Australia, last weekend and was the main feature of their magazine with a 5 page story.

He reckons Australians are losing their entrepreneurial spirit. Wonders if after 28 years of no recession we have lost our zeal for risk taking. The Magazine story talks a lot about what I have posted in the last few pages re his vertical integration, plans for the future, goes a bit further into his ideas to developing and built electric vehicles that I have posted. Raises questions about how he can finance all this, the delicate balance of pressing politicians for assistance and how much he can keep juggling all at once.

1571319823244.png

1571318951818.png

1571318515068.png

1571319990787.png

The story starts off with

You walk up a steep driveway to be buzzed through a security gate and into a garden with a hidden tennis court, a sunken pool and a huge lawn that sweeps out to a view of Sydney Harbour so vivid it hurts your eyes on a sunny day. Bono woke here to a beautiful day and Angelina Jolie’s kids have bagsed the best of the seven bedrooms. Bellevue Hill’s Barford House is the pick of Sydney’s digs for thirty grand a week. For the past two years its occupant has been the new rock star on the Aussie business charts, Sanjeev Gupta.

Dressed in a three-piece Savile Row suit and a pair of R.M. Williams boots, he enters the sitting room an hour late and plonks onto a couch. This former Fairfax family pile has been the beachhead from which the Indian-born, British-educated industrialist has lorded over his antipodean empire. Where others have seen only despair, he’s spotted opportunity. Like a televangelist, he delivers dire warnings with a sweetener of hope and salvation.

We are not long into our conversation when the 48-year-old glances admiringly at his boots. “These are the best shoes in the world,” he says. His words spill out at such a rapid pace it’s as though his audio setting is jammed on x2. “I’m a huge R.M. Williams fan, I’ve got 11 pairs. I’d love to go to the factory in Adelaide; it’s on my bucket list… it would be an amazing company to own.”

What he so admires about his RMs, apart from the comfort and the cut, is that they are still made in Australia. “It proves the possibilities,” he says. Gupta believes that, to their great peril, Britain and Australia have largely given up on manufacturing. He’s scornful of Australia’s business and political elite, who he reckons have had it far too comfy for far too long. Twenty-seven years of economic growth “are a blessing, but also a curse… there’s been a lack of evolution of the entrepreneur, of the risk-taker, the guy who really changes things. Australia has had it too easy. Change is bred from difficulty, not from comfort… dig and load and be comfortable; you’ve not been forced to add any value, to create anything.”

Since he crashed onto the scene in 2017, Gupta has reinvigorated Australian steel-making and saved Whyalla from a wipeout. The old South Australian steelworks is in the midst of a billion-dollar rebuild that will almost double its capacity to 1.8 million tonnes. It will value-add by turning out finished steel products including railway tracks, building beams and pipes that will supply grand infrastructure projects such as the inland rail, Sydney’s WestConnex and Brisbane’s Cross River Rail.

There are more plans – bigger, better – that leave some wondering whether his dreams can ever meet cold, hard business reality. Plans to build a next-generation steel mill to sit alongside the old one, churning out five to 10 million tonnes of steel a year, making it one of the world’s largest outside China. Plans to scope out a potential new steel recycling plant in Brisbane.

Gupta flies the journo to Whyalla in his private jet, he meets some people working for Gupta as well as people in Whyalla and the story finishes off with the last 1/3rd page of the article.

This morning a second jet-load of Gupta’s senior executives arrive in Whyalla. We gather in the Middleback Arts Centre, named after the ranges that feed his steel mill with iron ore. South Australia’s Governor Hieu Van Le warms the crowd. Sitting next to me, dressed in fluoro, mill worker Mark Wakelin tells me he moved back to Whyalla from “over east” because he wanted to be part of its transformation. “You only get one hometown, one first footy club, the place where you learnt to ride a bike,” he says. “Whyalla is that place for me. I want to see it prosper again and I reckon it will.”

A couple of dozen beaming high school kids take their seats on stage in T-shirts that read: “Test Pilots.” They are the first graduates of a STEM mentoring program sponsored by Gupta’s charity, the GFG Foundation, that he hopes to roll out around Australia. The billionaire takes to the microphone and delivers an impassioned speech. “It gives me great heart-swell to see these young people… over the last 20 or 30 years, especially in the UK and Australia, we’ve seen a great drain of industry. As a result of that we’ve also seen a decline of interest in industry in the next generation.” He says he wants to inspire these kids to think of a career in manufacturing. “The journey is not quick – the rejuvenation, here in Whyalla and Australia, will take a long time but it cannot happen without the next generation.” He and the governor shake hands with and put a cap on each kid. I suddenly realise Gupta has flown two jet loads of his most senior staff from Sydney to Whyalla to watch him hand out caps to school kids. I sit here thinking, “This guy is either mad or a genius. Possibly both.”

He recently sent his family back home to London, from where he will oversee his new European acquisitions, but he tells me he’ll be flying back here every few weeks to see through his grand plans for Whyalla and Australia. “There’s no getting rid of me,” he says. “I’m in for the long haul.

And this is why we have to build this partnership. He is in it for the long haul, and we will have the opportunity to be associated with him over that long haul. Unlike a consumer brand sponsorship where we are at the whims of taste of consumers, the SA market size, the lack of national TV exposure, and overseas HQ directives to the Aussie subsidiary, we are working with and dealing with the main man who is driven by a different measure of return on investment.

This STEM program and GFC Foundation launch, the club was involved with, and I posted a few tweets about in early August in post #1037 of the previous page.

Only made page 15 of Wednesday's The Advertiser.

1571343971566.png

BILLIONAIRE steel tsar Sanjeev Gupta who sponsors the Port Power Football Club and doesn't pay his contractors on time has picked up his second piece of Australian waterfront property, adding the grand Sydney mansion Bomera to the Whyalla steelworks he bought back in 2017.

Mr Gupta paid $34 million for the eight-bedroom, fivebathroom sandstone home at 1 Wylde St, Potts Point, ....

Gupta got the front page of The Weekend Australia, last weekend and was the main feature of their magazine with a 5 page story.

He reckons Australians are losing their entrepreneurial spirit. Wonders if after 28 years of no recession we have lost our zeal for risk taking. The Magazine story talks a lot about what I have posted in the last few pages re his vertical integration, plans for the future, goes a bit further into his ideas to developing and built electric vehicles that I have posted. Raises questions about how he can finance all this, the delicate balance of pressing politicians for assistance and how much he can keep juggling all at once.

View attachment 766943

View attachment 766942

View attachment 766940

View attachment 766944

You walk up a steep driveway to be buzzed through a security gate and into a garden with a hidden tennis court, a sunken pool and a huge lawn that sweeps out to a view of Sydney Harbour so vivid it hurts your eyes on a sunny day. Bono woke here to a beautiful day and Angelina Jolie’s kids have bagsed the best of the seven bedrooms. Bellevue Hill’s Barford House is the pick of Sydney’s digs for thirty grand a week. For the past two years its occupant has been the new rock star on the Aussie business charts, Sanjeev Gupta.

Dressed in a three-piece Savile Row suit and a pair of R.M. Williams boots, he enters the sitting room an hour late and plonks onto a couch. This former Fairfax family pile has been the beachhead from which the Indian-born, British-educated industrialist has lorded over his antipodean empire. Where others have seen only despair, he’s spotted opportunity. Like a televangelist, he delivers dire warnings with a sweetener of hope and salvation.

We are not long into our conversation when the 48-year-old glances admiringly at his boots. “These are the best shoes in the world,” he says. His words spill out at such a rapid pace it’s as though his audio setting is jammed on x2. “I’m a huge R.M. Williams fan, I’ve got 11 pairs. I’d love to go to the factory in Adelaide; it’s on my bucket list… it would be an amazing company to own.”

What he so admires about his RMs, apart from the comfort and the cut, is that they are still made in Australia. “It proves the possibilities,” he says. Gupta believes that, to their great peril, Britain and Australia have largely given up on manufacturing. He’s scornful of Australia’s business and political elite, who he reckons have had it far too comfy for far too long. Twenty-seven years of economic growth “are a blessing, but also a curse… there’s been a lack of evolution of the entrepreneur, of the risk-taker, the guy who really changes things. Australia has had it too easy. Change is bred from difficulty, not from comfort… dig and load and be comfortable; you’ve not been forced to add any value, to create anything.”

Since he crashed onto the scene in 2017, Gupta has reinvigorated Australian steel-making and saved Whyalla from a wipeout. The old South Australian steelworks is in the midst of a billion-dollar rebuild that will almost double its capacity to 1.8 million tonnes. It will value-add by turning out finished steel products including railway tracks, building beams and pipes that will supply grand infrastructure projects such as the inland rail, Sydney’s WestConnex and Brisbane’s Cross River Rail.

There are more plans – bigger, better – that leave some wondering whether his dreams can ever meet cold, hard business reality. Plans to build a next-generation steel mill to sit alongside the old one, churning out five to 10 million tonnes of steel a year, making it one of the world’s largest outside China. Plans to scope out a potential new steel recycling plant in Brisbane.

Gupta flies the journo to Whyalla in his private jet, he meets some people working for Gupta as well as people in Whyalla and the story finishes off with the last 1/3rd page of the article.

This morning a second jet-load of Gupta’s senior executives arrive in Whyalla. We gather in the Middleback Arts Centre, named after the ranges that feed his steel mill with iron ore. South Australia’s Governor Hieu Van Le warms the crowd. Sitting next to me, dressed in fluoro, mill worker Mark Wakelin tells me he moved back to Whyalla from “over east” because he wanted to be part of its transformation. “You only get one hometown, one first footy club, the place where you learnt to ride a bike,” he says. “Whyalla is that place for me. I want to see it prosper again and I reckon it will.”

A couple of dozen beaming high school kids take their seats on stage in T-shirts that read: “Test Pilots.” They are the first graduates of a STEM mentoring program sponsored by Gupta’s charity, the GFG Foundation, that he hopes to roll out around Australia. The billionaire takes to the microphone and delivers an impassioned speech. “It gives me great heart-swell to see these young people… over the last 20 or 30 years, especially in the UK and Australia, we’ve seen a great drain of industry. As a result of that we’ve also seen a decline of interest in industry in the next generation.” He says he wants to inspire these kids to think of a career in manufacturing. “The journey is not quick – the rejuvenation, here in Whyalla and Australia, will take a long time but it cannot happen without the next generation.” He and the governor shake hands with and put a cap on each kid. I suddenly realise Gupta has flown two jet loads of his most senior staff from Sydney to Whyalla to watch him hand out caps to school kids. I sit here thinking, “This guy is either mad or a genius. Possibly both.”

He recently sent his family back home to London, from where he will oversee his new European acquisitions, but he tells me he’ll be flying back here every few weeks to see through his grand plans for Whyalla and Australia. “There’s no getting rid of me,” he says. “I’m in for the long haul.

And this is why we have to build this partnership. He is in it for the long haul, and we will have the opportunity to be associated with him over that long haul. Unlike a consumer brand sponsorship where we are at the whims of taste of consumers, the SA market size, the lack of national TV exposure, and overseas HQ directives to the Aussie subsidiary, we are working with and dealing with the main man who is driven by a different measure of return on investment.

This STEM program and GFC Foundation launch, the club was involved with, and I posted a few tweets about in early August in post #1037 of the previous page.

Saw that the other day (with my Murdoch press firewall busting Firefox extension), did a word search for "Port Adelaide" - Phrase not found - lost interest.

View attachment 766943

View attachment 766942

View attachment 766940

View attachment 766944

It's more that we have ended up with an 'elite' an cartels, and people are realising it is almost impossible to break in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People in Whyalla are still pretty sceptical about Gupta....
I know a couple of people in Whyalla who are pretty positive about Gupta. You will get the full 360 degrees up there.

You can't blame Whyalla people being sceptical.

They have seen their town shrink by 1/3rd since BHP shut down ship building, BHP then leaves steel making, and several times the steel works has been on critical support and looked like closing down.

The 10 million tonne expansion will need a 18-24 month feasibility study, which the balance of probabilities will probably say its not feasible unless a lot of ducks line up, especially given current international trade and economic uncertainties. What Gupta needs for that expansion is what I call slow capital. Its not going to come until he makes his whole organisational structure less opaque. Floating the business on the Oz share market isn't slow capital. If he could issue 15 year corporate bonds paying 4-6% that would help, but no one is going to buy them under the current structure. Slow capital will be the key.

The current steel works is breaking even (its a long turn around time). Partly because of steel prices going up, partly because of governments all around Oz getting into large infrastructure projects, encouraged to expand significantly further by the RBA, partly because of the restructuring Gupta has made over the last 2 years and partly because he has a vertically integrated operation which can control costs.

In the article Gupta said;
But he does seem to have a great knack for buying cheaply at the bottom of the cycle. Gupta has said that in 2018 the old Arrium group made about $700 million, more than he paid for the entire company the year before, thanks to recovering steel prices. He’s also been good at squeezing assistance from governments. The Whyalla rescue came with a $50 million package from the then Labor state government; Gupta has said ongoing support would likely be required from the South Australian and federal governments.

But it also said
Last year it was announced that GFG Alliance had plans to float part of its Australian arm of Liberty OneSteel, Infrabuild. And then last month it emerged Gupta had to inject $150 million into the business after the planned $1 billion sharemarket float was put on hold after a disappointing debt-raising. If the float eventually succeeds, Gupta will be forced to lay his cards on the table and investors will want to know the answers to all those questions pesky journalists have been asking for the past few years about the flow of money.

Last edited:
Thanks to OneGreatClub for posting this just now on the Let’s Talk Ports Part 2 thread:

Rucci on SEN this am...

“The bonds between the three Ks are far weaker than they were in 2013”

“Koch not as supportive of KT as he should be. Threw him under bus regarding failed sponsorship”

“They have put All the GFG money into this financial year to make finances look good”

“There are some people who are eyeing KT’s chair”

If this is true, by ‘all the GFG money’ I assume Rucci is referring to the entire three-year’s worth.

No mention is made of any revenue actually being paid yet by GFG, or will be paid on or before 31 October 2019.

Discussion?

A link to Rucci’s ten minutes worth would be a good start.

Thanks to OneGreatClub for posting this just now on the Let’s Talk Ports Part 2 thread:

Rucci on SEN this am...

“Koch not as supportive of KT as he should be. Threw him under bus regarding failed sponsorship”

“They have put All the GFG money into this financial year to make finances look good”

If this is true, by ‘all the GFG money’ I assume Rucci is referring to the entire three-year’s worth.

No mention is made of any revenue actually being paid yet by GFG, or will be paid on or before 31 October 2019.

Discussion?

Rucci on SEN this am...

Discussion?

Strictly speaking if GFG has paid 3 years up front this is how it should be accounted for

1/3 representing 2019 - one side is the cash going into the bank and the other as sponsorship revenue in the P&L.

2/3rds representing 2020+21 - one side is the cash going into the bank and the other is a liability on balance sheet called Unearned Income Received in Advance.

This treatment doesn't improve our profit situation for the year (or reduce our loss) but it improves our cash balance position and/or wipes out our overdraft so that it looks like our debt hasn't increased from last year as we have a combined structured loans and a working capital overdraft facility.

I can't see our CFO Shane Smith and our auditors approving 3 years sponsorship monies, 2 of them paid upfront as being all recorded as 2019 revenue.

Strictly speaking if GFG has paid 3 years up front this is how it should be accounted for

1/3 representing 2019 - one side is the cash going into the bank and the other as sponsorship revenue in the P&L.

2/3rds representing 2020+21 - one side is the cash going into the bank and the other is a liability on balance sheet called Unearned Income Received in Advance.

This treatment doesn't improve our profit situation for the year (or reduce our loss) but it improves our cash balance position and/or wipes out our overdraft so that it looks like our debt hasn't increased from last year as we have a combined structured loans and a working capital overdraft facility.

I can't see our CFO Shane Smith and our auditors approving 3 years sponsorship monies, 2 of them paid upfront as being all recorded as 2019 revenue.
What if zero has actually been paid upfront by GFG and the strategy is for the whole three years worth to be written up in FY 2018-2019 as ‘liability’ / ‘unearned income’.

Don’t forget the domineering Koch has no accountancy qualification, unlike his father Dean who put his head right down and studied at night at the School of Mines and qualified as a chartered accountant; the qualification combined with Dean’s inherent natural abilities saw him recruited to Sydney by R.W. Miller who were coal shippers amongst other enterprises ...
( http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/miller-robert-william-7588 )
... then to California by Kaiser Corporation to trade coal across the Pacific to China in the early 1970s during the hard days of the Cultural Revolution.

David Koch is only credited on his Wikipedia page with being ‘trained in accountancy’.

Maybe Kyle Sandilands could spare $1 million of his $8 million a year. The downside is we would have to wear Trial by Kyle badging. It's a heavy price to pay. ;)

What if zero has actually been paid upfront by GFG and the strategy is for the whole three years worth to be written up in FY 2018-2019 as ‘liability’ / ‘unearned income’.

Don’t forget the domineering Koch has no accountancy qualification, unlike his father Dean who put his head right down and studied at night at the School of Mines and qualified as a chartered accountant; the qualification combined with Dean’s inherent natural abilities saw him recruited to Sydney by R.W. Miller who were coal shippers amongst other enterprises ...
( http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/miller-robert-william-7588 )
... then to California by Kaiser Corporation to trade coal across the Pacific to China in the early 1970s during the hard days of the Cultural Revolution.

David Koch is only credited on his Wikipedia page with being ‘trained in accountancy’.
If all 3 years was reported as sponsorship revenue for 2018-19 and no cash was paid, then

1/3 rd would be represented by an asset - accounts receivable from Gupta for 2019 and
2/3rds would also be represented by an asset - accounts receivable from Gupta for 2020+21

But Port's overdraft wouldn't be reduced as no cash has come in and our debt would be higher than last year. As I have said before, the cash flow statement is just as important to look at, as the P&L.

I saw the link to Rucci's interview after I wrote up my post but he says

"Look their profits haven't been great, at best they get to 100,000,
but they're not millions, but they're gonna wipe out $1 million of debt?
Now I wish I could do that with my credit card, make 10 bucks today,
and then wipe out $1,000 the next day. So they're clearly, they're clearly
forward posting some of their income, ummmmh I'm told that like, that
GFG sponorship, they got, say that's worth $1.7 million,
they put
it all in one payment year, rather than across the whole term of the sponsorship.
So they're keen to make the books look good, but there's financial pressure at
Port Adelaide, there's no doubt about it."

So my questions are
1. Is the $1.7 million a figure Rooch pulled out of the air? A well educated guess? or what he has been told?

2. Does the $1.7 million figure represent 3 years or the 2 years that he thinks is being brought forward.

Basically, is the club getting $570k/year from Gupta or $850k/year.

Last edited:
If Gupta has such a great knack for buying cheaply at the bottom of a cycle then perhaps we should make him our list manager and put him in charge of trading.
He started off as a commodities trader, whilst he was at Cambridge using their telex and dodging VAT.

Maybe Kyle Sandilands could spare $1 million of his $8 million a year. The downside is we would have to wear Trial by Kyle badging. It's a heavy price to pay. ;)

I hear he's a big PAFC supporter.

71023971_10157839444757033_734447336125628416_n.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back