GFL GFL - 2011 PRE season !

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 8 teams, 8 comps, 2 grounds, 1 day- melbourne metros best of the best!

Sounds like a pretty good day, though it wont prove which leagues better etc. Would expect Marby Park, Old Carey and South Barwon to be a bit stronger than the rest..

Also not to sure about the whole of Geelong being behind South.. I wont be behind them..
never have to worry about grovedale making it

matt burn signed as ass coach at`leopold good news at the den

What is it that they are doing down there at the den?? :)

Will be a good pick up, under rated player and Joeys let this one slip!

On Sunday March 6th this event will be broadcast live via SEN Radio 1116 AM.

8 of the premiership teams from 2010 around Melbourne have agreed to play in a 20/20 style competition for their chance to take out the prestigious trophy of becoming Melbourne metro footballs best of the best and win their club $5000 in prizes and money.

The event and day has been organised by Benjamin Charles from SPORT SUPPORT. Also helping promote and run the event is Matty Pillios (EDFL MEDIA HOST) along with various other high profile metropolitan footballers and current or ex AFL players.The day will start at 11am and games will be played at CT Barling Reserve located at Plenty Rd, Reservoir.

The 8 clubs representing their leagues are as follows:

NFL – West Preston F.C (Ran all over powerhouse Heidelberg F.C to take 2010 premiership coach and are known to be physical.)

VAFA – Old Carey F.C (Smashed the VAFA B section comp in 2010 and now in A section will represent VAFA. Have picked up close to 8 quality players for season 2011. Old Xavs F.C declined to participate.)

GFL – South Barwon F.C (One of the favourites from a powerhouse comp. Will be at full strength and have the entire town of Geelong behind them.)

EDFL – Marby Park F.C (Back to back premiers will try and stamp its name as the strongest metro football team in the country boasting a ton of talent.)

EFL – Mulgrave F.C (Represent one of the strongest Melbourne comps and this year are in Div 1. Have recently recruited quality AFL & VFL players for season 2011. Noble Park F.C declined to participate.)

RDFL – Riddell F.C (Strong club with a massive following and will be keen to keep momentum from their 2010 premiership win.)

SFL – Clayton F.C (The club has been a powerhouse in Div 1 for a long time. Have recruited very strongly for 2011. St Kilda City F.C could not confirm.)

WRFL – Albion F.C (Stunned the WRFL winning the 2010 flag and with some new recruits will give it a shake. Coming from a comp with physical football.

EXTRA EVENTS

“Melbournes Fittest Footballer” (Vertical Leap, 20 Metre Sprints and Push Up Comp.)

“Grand Final Curtain Raiser” (60 Person Beep Test between any local registered footballer.)

Should be a cracker of a day! What are everyones thoughts and feedback on it?

Can anyone give us some news on South Barwon F.C for season 2011? Any news on arrivals and departures?

St Albans have snared Chris Oliver and Lauchie Longmire from the Ovens and Murray Footy League. Oliver is a former interleague ruckman who spent a couple of years on St Kilda's list and Longmire, who played for Port Melbourne and Northern Bullants, is a midfielder. Very handy pick ups!

The Oliver and Longmire signings plus a bunch of others are confirmed in this Geelong Advertiser article.

I will be interested to see how the Super Saints perform in 2011.

Reece Holwell from drysdale is playin at south barwon, not the most skillful player but very, very hard at it

Reece Holwell from drysdale is playin at south barwon, not the most skillful player but very, very hard at it
will struggle big time at south a few drysdale boys getting ahead of themselves !!

With practice matches just around the corner, is there a site where we can view where and when games including intra club matches will be played, otherwise if you know of any games coming up can you please post on this site.

had timmy barton as 1 of the big recuits and didnt even say anything about him haha :eek:

Pardon my ignorance, but who is Tim Barton when he is at home?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Noticed St Marys have signed Will Mcgregor from Ballarat. I cant stand st marys but this may be the recruit of the year. He was judged BOG by Ballarat coaches in interleague v GFL last season. Very hard running skilful wingman

any predictions for the finals, who will improve, who will drop off, who will be woodenspooners?

how do the recruits look, any standouts?

grovedale wooden spooners for certain.
how have they replaced; baars, waldron, gleeson, colbert, taylor, eddy, chafer, raidme, montgomery, wall, plus a few others?
its the same old story with grovey, they come they go.
rumours are that raidme is out of contract and the club has not been in contact with him at all. Are they forgetting the guy is a VFL superstar?
if not for doing his shoulder, he would of been picked up by geelong before simpkin.
the players that have left are a mix of VFL players / candidates, one captian, two assistant coaches and GFL interelague representatives.
grovedale have not replaced any of these quality players, all they have done is harbour some imports, who have not played with the oval shaped ball, and recruited a coach who is a raging alcoholic.
all they have is hear say of players they are rumourdly " talking to"
lets be honest, the players they have recruited thus far, have not replaced the ones they have lost, andthe players they are talking to, will also not replace the ones they have lost.

the place was in the best shape its been in a long time two yrs ago, but with the departure of raidme, the appointment of a hamilton league coach, and a wish wash commitee the joint is headed for the pits, if not already there.

Hey Both Ways...some big calls in there...sounds like you're harbouring some pent up anger against the club...I wonder who you are?? Especially given some slanderous remarks there...
Of the 10 players you named...6 of them have been constantly whingeing for the last many years..not great for club culture...and lets face it..they didn't lift Grovedale into the finals whilst they were there..and had no heart for the club. I would argue that it is sometimes an advantage to get rid of this mentality around a club. Gleeso is a masive loss as he is a quality person and player and goes with some blessings to pursue coaching experience...he may be back before too long..
5 of the list do not have the ability and/or dedication to play top GFL footy....so playing wise no loss..
2 of the most important names on the list will be playing at Grovedale if anywhere....donut..

grovedale wooden spooners for certain.
how have they replaced; baars, waldron, gleeson, colbert, taylor, eddy, chafer, raidme, montgomery, wall, plus a few others?
its the same old story with grovey, they come they go.
rumours are that raidme is out of contract and the club has not been in contact with him at all. Are they forgetting the guy is a VFL superstar?
if not for doing his shoulder, he would of been picked up by geelong before simpkin.
the players that have left are a mix of VFL players / candidates, one captian, two assistant coaches and GFL interelague representatives.
grovedale have not replaced any of these quality players, all they have done is harbour some imports, who have not played with the oval shaped ball, and recruited a coach who is a raging alcoholic.
all they have is hear say of players they are rumourdly " talking to"
lets be honest, the players they have recruited thus far, have not replaced the ones they have lost, andthe players they are talking to, will also not replace the ones they have lost.

the place was in the best shape its been in a long time two yrs ago, but with the departure of raidme, the appointment of a hamilton league coach, and a wish wash commitee the joint is headed for the pits, if not already there.

shad
can u please name the ones you are talking about in my list?
the guys i talked about are all wonderfull young men, and it wouldnt have left without thinking long and hard about it. most of the guys have been at the club for a long period, and there service has been well warranted.
baars, waldron, raidme, montgomery, taylor, gleeson, and colbert, would all be walk up starters in any other gfl side.
with the club looking at anoter three year rebuild, i believe it was just to much.
i dont blame them and wish them good fortune.
dissapointment in the club is all.

Shad,
Big call to say "players had no heart for the club" - Paul Waldron would be livid to hear people say that. here is a bloke who played through the ranks in the juniors, along with his brother. He captained the club, was on the commitee, had been assistant coach of the seniors, coached junior teams , ran footy clinics, turned up to every social event held, and even organised a few of them. not to mention his mum ran the canteen for years.
That say's to me that he should be thanked for his efforts over the years - not ridiculed for leaving.
I personally think the club as a whole should be looking into who is running the place. Some business men with new ideas would be a great start - if in fact the club want to "change the club culture" as everyone mentions. this should be the first place that gets looked at, not all the players that are leaving. they are leaving for a reason and that is they are fed up with how the club is run....
There is only so long that the same people can say "change the club Culture" before it becomes evident that they are the reason for the downfall of the club...

Both ways, seriously half the time on here you either speak full on dribble about Grovedale players signing at Torquay late last year and other stupid rumours or you just put down the club. All your doing is making a dick of yourself and i hope i find out who you are because your just causing trouble, hope your not inside the club if everyone finds out who you are because i think you are letting alot of people down with some of your rubbish comments

all i have done is state the problems which have led the club to there demise in the last few seasons.
also i talked about the players that were leaving the club, and how they have not been replaced, highlighting the fact that grovedale is in for another hard year.
thats the facts.

Ex Tiger...why do you assume I'm talking about Paul Waldron re no heart for club?

Shad,
Big call to say "players had no heart for the club" - Paul Waldron would be livid to hear people say that. here is a bloke who played through the ranks in the juniors, along with his brother. He captained the club, was on the commitee, had been assistant coach of the seniors, coached junior teams , ran footy clinics, turned up to every social event held, and even organised a few of them. not to mention his mum ran the canteen for years.
That say's to me that he should be thanked for his efforts over the years - not ridiculed for leaving.
I personally think the club as a whole should be looking into who is running the place. Some business men with new ideas would be a great start - if in fact the club want to "change the club culture" as everyone mentions. this should be the first place that gets looked at, not all the players that are leaving. they are leaving for a reason and that is they are fed up with how the club is run....
There is only so long that the same people can say "change the club Culture" before it becomes evident that they are the reason for the downfall of the club...

Ex Tiger...why do you assume I'm talking about Paul Waldron re no heart for club?

Shad, who are the ones you are talking about then?????

My Comments were simply to highlight the type of person that the club should be fighting to keep.
For to long, peolpe that have spent many years with the footy club have packed up and moved on to other clubs without any fight coming to keep them - to name a few: Daniel Fletcher , Luke Rayner, Luke Primus, Drew Kelly, Brett Baldwinson, Tim Barton, Dean Holroyd, Darren Savickas, Richard Buckwell, Peter Wilkinson, Matt Bruhn just to name a few that left the grovey footy club after coming through the junoir system and went to play at other local clubs. (apologies to all the others that i have not mentioned)
I'm sure there are a couple in the above group that would be walk up starts to coach the club or that could be now running the admin side of the footy club.
Dont get me wrong, i do admire the current people for putting there hands up to give time to run the place, but there needs to be some sort of succession plan that keeps these sort of people with 15-30 years involved with the club (juniors /senior), no letting all their experience go to other local clubs...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back