Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2020)

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Looks like an adequate attempt at next-gen reboot. Interesting project choice for Jason Reitman, given that his previous films have largely been CGI-free dramas, and his father of course.

I've long felt that Ghostbusters was at risk of becoming a bit of a mostly Gen X relic as the years passed, but this is at least trying to capture a new generation. Paul Rudd and Carrie Coon in key roles. It has the right ingredients I guess.

Just because it has a cast member in common with Stranger Things doesn't mean it is that thing. I suspect Jason Reitman was casting himself as a kid or something actually.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Looks like an adequate attempt at next-gen reboot. Interesting project choice for Jason Reitman, given that his previous films have largely been CGI-free dramas, and his father of course.

I've long felt that Ghostbusters was at risk of becoming a bit of a mostly Gen X relic as the years passed, but this is at least trying to capture a new generation. Paul Rudd and Carrie Coon in key roles. It has the right ingredients I guess.

Just because it has a cast member in common with Stranger Things doesn't mean it is that thing. I suspect Jason Reitman was casting himself as a kid or something actually.
Its using kids rather then adults.

The other kids also look like they could be straight out of stranger things.

Its going rural and small rather then new york. How the f*** can you have a ghostbuster movie not in new york?

The ghost reveals also seem to be very stranger things.

None of the astmosphere or feel of ghostbusters is in that trailer. Its supposed to be a comedy.

The idea that everyone would of forgot about the ghostbusters and their gear disgarded in a random rural town is also ridiculous.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Its using kids rather then adults.

The other kids also look like they could be straight out of stranger things.

Its going rural and small rather then new york. How the f*** can you have a ghostbuster movie not in new york?

The ghost reveals also seem to be very stranger things.

None of the astmosphere or feel of ghostbusters is in that trailer. Its supposed to be a comedy.

The idea that everyone would of forgot about the ghostbusters and their gear disgarded in a random rural town is also ridiculous.
It is the only way to realistically rejuvenate the property. If you are going to make a new Ghostbusters, this is the way to go.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
It is the only way to realistically rejuvenate the property. If you are going to make a new Ghostbusters, this is the way to go.
No it isnt. Have the story in new york, have it with nerdy scientists and have a big new bad. Have the ghostbusters ostracized at some point with big bad looking almost undefeatable and civilisation near collapse. Throw in some great comedic writng, awesome music, some heartfelt moments and great special effects and you have an awesome popcorn movie. This stuff basically writes itself.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
It does very much come across as Stranger Things, which is itself a homage to '80s. So here we have a film paying homage to itself?

And where's the comedy?

The thing I think some people forget when rebooting old properties is that it's not usually the premise people are craving. People weren't sitting around thinking 'I really want a movie about ghosts'. They were thinking "I really loved that script and cast that happened to be about ghosts'. Ghostbusters was great because it was four great comics at the top of their game.

It does very much come across as Stranger Things, which is itself a homage to '80s. So here we have a film paying homage to itself?

And where's the comedy?

The thing I think some people forget when rebooting old properties is that it's not usually the premise people are craving. People weren't sitting around thinking 'I really want a movie about ghosts'. They were thinking "I really loved that script and cast that happened to be about ghosts'. Ghostbusters was great because it was four great comics at the top of their game.

Hit the nail on the head.

Rebooting 80's fantasy/sci-fi-comedy is nigh on impossible.

GB ain't DC level grittiness.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
No it isnt. Have the story in new york, have it with nerdy scientists and have a big new bad. Have the ghostbusters ostracized at some point with big bad looking almost undefeatable and civilisation near collapse. Throw in some great comedic writng, awesome music, some heartfelt moments and great special effects and you have an awesome popcorn movie. This stuff basically writes itself.

Its always a stretch when everyone just forgets stuff that should change the world so we can have a reboot/sequel, Ghostbusters 2 was pretty bad for that. Hey you saved the world that's just awesome... by Tuesday you'll be completely discredited and playing at kids birthday parties.

Funnily enough what might have worked as a true sequel was to go back and adapt the original script for Ghostbusters which was a near future where Ghostbusting was an accepted public service like the police and fire brigade, the movie was going to follow one branch that just happened to find themselves in the middle of events.

Some of that trailer still seems ok but I hope the target audience really is kids and family's cause by not having adult ghostbusters (if that is what they're going for) they can't even aim for what made the first one work so well.

Last edited:
The 2016 film is underrated. Its the funniest of the lot. It had a very poor finale though.

SlUPWTz.gif
tenor.gif

SERIOUSLY ?

It was the most unfunny movie of the current decade.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Hmm. Yeah not sure ripping off Stranger Things is gonna get this one across the line (and yeah its more than just having one of the cast members).

I don't think you're ever gonna get a great movie out of this franchise - hell, it shouldn't even be a franchise. The original is a classic for one reason only imo - chemistry of Murray Aykroyd and Ramis, it was lightning in a bottle stuff. When they came back for the sequel only 5 years later it still wasn't quite the same, the moment in time had kinda moved on.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
The Ghostbusters reboot was neither as good or as bad as online discourse suggests; it was just a middle-of-the-road comedy. But it understood the premise of Ghostbusters better than the new film seems to. People seem to think it was some 'woke' conspiracy but it appears to be an attempt to cash in on a known brand while capturing the element that made the first film successful: a group of popular comedians working together. They could have tried to find four popular male comics at the time, but that would have been viewed as even more deriviative and more likely to be unfairly compared to the original. Choosing four popular female comedians offered a different dynamic at least. Didn't really work, but as I say, the simple premise seems to have been forgotten by Jason Reitman.

"There hasn't been a ghost sighting in 30 years"

fu** you anyone who watched the last movie haha
This is becoming a trend now where the last movie was so embarrassing that the studio feels the need to hit the reset button. Halloween, Terminator, Ghostbusters.

Just make an original movie.

Back