Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoroughouly enjoyable film. Its purpose is and was to captaure the hearts and minds of generation now, but also pay homage to those who came before them (i.e. us).

one might say its a carbon copy of the original. two keys, stone dogs encapsulating humans, and a god demon. But in OKC.

Yes things happened so easily, and everything fell into place. Knowledge just seemed to be absorbed and applied with ease. The bravery of the kids is amazing. Facing ghosts and demons they dont flinch! So much in terms of memories and also nods to the ghostbuster canon - obviously costumes, weapons etc. memories.

Carrie Coon (Proxima Midnight fro the Marvel Cinemtic experience of Avengers: Infinity War) learned to love again and reunite with her father.

Credits scenes ensure that there's scope for a sequel.

Prediction
in 37 years time the new batch of ghostbusters will be the returnees in another version reboot

couldve done without the active audience participation during the film. almost a competition between patrons to show who is the biggest ghostbuster fan.

Last edited:

Enjoyed it, was a lot of fun.

The last 30 mins just went full complete retread of the first movie ending, so it kinda took the shine off of the originals showing up in a less organic manner. Still cool though and CGI Ramis was done well.

Don't think there is the talent in the writing room to get anymore legs out of these movies so I hope they leave it with this one. Goes a for a few other franchises we've seen in the last few months.

Enjoyed it, was a lot of fun.

The last 30 mins just went full complete retread of the first movie ending, so it kinda took the shine off of the originals showing up in a less organic manner. Still cool though and CGI Ramis was done well.

Don't think there is the talent in the writing room to get anymore legs out of these movies so I hope they leave it with this one. Goes a for a few other franchises we've seen in the last few months.
I feel Ghostbusters only works with Aykroyd, Murray etc.

Watched the ending again on YouTube as the last half hour was ruined by dickheads.

Big feels with how they did Ramis was a real gut punch and really well done.

Watching the ending without distractions, enjoyed it for what it was.

Think these days just need to enjoy things and not have huge hangups about movies unless they're legitimately bad.

The girl that played Egon's granddaughter did a great job too.

Hope the do some sequels but definitely needs the old cast as they're always the heart of the franchise.

Watched the ending again on YouTube as the last half hour was ruined by dickheads.

Big feels with how they did Ramis was a real gut punch and really well done.

Watching the ending without distractions, enjoyed it for what it was.

Think these days just need to enjoy things and not have huge hangups about movies unless they're legitimately bad.

The girl that played Egon's granddaughter did a great job too.

Hope the do some sequels but definitely needs the old cast as they're always the heart of the franchise.

It'll never be the same without the original cast but I thought this worked well enough as a handover movie. It would be great if the sequel has snippets of them in a mentoring/ family role rather then firing up the packs again and if it got to three movies and the actors have matured a bit they might try to aim for some of the humour that the original movie had.

I've always thought a Ghostbusters movie with Seth Rogan, James Franco etc could work and be pretty fun

I may be recalling this wrong but I recall the Jonah Hill was linked to it a few years back after 21 Jump Street.

People often forget what made Ghostbusters successful. It wasn’t its irresistible premise and potential for a shared universe. It was the because it was the product of some of the finest comics of the time who were also friends and had great chemistry. People might not like the 2016 Ghostbusters but it took the right approach in trying to find good comics with good chemistry.

People often forget what made Ghostbusters successful. It wasn’t its irresistible premise and potential for a shared universe. It was the because it was the product of some of the finest comics of the time who were also friends and had great chemistry. People might not like the 2016 Ghostbusters but it took the right approach in trying to find good comics with good chemistry.
I thought it was mostly cause of ghosts and the idea of catching them. Yes it had a terrific cast, but i remember back in 84 people were excited about ghosts and the supernatural. every kid and adult almost wanted to be ghostbusters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It took the wrong approach by remaking GB instead of just continuing in the existing universe. Have always maintained they should have not ignored the previous two. The universe was already made. Would have been way better received with that small change.

I thought it was mostly cause of ghosts and the idea of catching them. Yes it had a terrific cast, but i remember back in 84 people were excited about ghosts and the supernatural. every kid and adult almost wanted to be ghostbusters.
That’s like saying Stripes was a hit because people were excited about the Army. Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd and Harold Ramis were comedy legends that all came up at the same time and bounced off each other perfectly. They got people excited about ghosts with a crackling script and natural comedy.

I think Ghostbusters is a 'lightning in a bottle' type franchise. Great blend of talent, writing and genre all at the right time.

Afterlife is fun and faithful to the originals, but the originals are hard to top.

That’s like saying Stripes was a hit because people were excited about the Army. Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd and Harold Ramis were comedy legends that all came up at the same time and bounced off each other perfectly. They got people excited about ghosts with a crackling script and natural comedy.

yes true, those people were and are comedic legends.

war movies tend to do well in USA too with their military history

Great fun. Very much in the spirit of the originals.

The young actress who played the granddaughter was the stand out. Her interactions with Podcast had me laughing at times. Both those characters were well cast.

Just shows how good a female character can be if they drop the typical Hollywood gurl power crap and focus on writing a great character for the actor.

It's pretty meh, especially if you were thinking it was going to be funny.

The difference is the original Ghostbusters was a comedy first and foremost. This isn't and suffers from the problems that all bad CGI-based films have: "we can do anything with this amazing CGI so we have to use it."

So the script is based around CGI set pieces and the humour is average. This comparison of scenes between the original and the 2016 version shows it up. The original's effects were ropey but that actually works well by making the film funnier:

It's pretty meh, especially if you were thinking it was going to be funny.

The difference is the original Ghostbusters was a comedy first and foremost. This isn't and suffers from the problems that all bad CGI-based films have: "we can do anything with this amazing CGI so we have to use it."

So the script is based around CGI set pieces and the humour is average. This comparison of scenes between the original and the 2016 version shows it up. The original's effects were ropey but that actually works well by making the film funnier:

Ghostbusters 2016 should be erased from existence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back